Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My source says that Dero is is negotiating a new deal with TFC for a "boatload" of money and will play for TFC. That's what he said - but it still isn't 100%

Hasn't heard anything about Europe.

That's not to say that Eur isn't part of the equation...just that my contact doesn't have word on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I can't see a European team being interested in a 30 year old De Ro. He wouldn't make an impact on a quality team. Between salary and marketting opportunities that would be available to him in Canada and not in Europe, he'd end up making the same money here as he would for a 2nd tier European team...but we'd be able to guarantee him playing time etc. which wouldn't be a given for him over there.
    At this point I really couldn't care less what DeRo wants or where he plays. All I care about is TFC getting the best deal they can out of the Julius James trade. If DeRo wants to play here under his existing contract thats great, welcome aboard. If he wants to go abroad... see ya later, thanks for the allocation money and don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out.
    All for One.
    Last edited by Stryker; 01-08-2009 at 12:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as DeRo may deserve a "boatload" of money it certainly doesn't help our team or (probably) his image with the rest of the guys if he does play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    As much as DeRo may deserve a "boatload" of money it certainly doesn't help our team or probably his image with the rest of the guys if he does play.

True but once it hits $400k it doesn't matter how much we pay him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    My source says that Dero is is negotiating a new deal with TFC for a "boatload" of money
    Thats the one thing I didn't wanna hear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    Thats the one thing I didn't wanna hear.

Why? We were expecting around $600k anyway right? So we give him 400k and the DP spot (theoretically). Then we can pay him $200k, $400k, fuck $2m for all I care as it doesn't count against the cap and it doesn't affect our Allocation situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    Sorry, but I bet he could find a team that would pay him more than $600k a year without much problem.
    I wonder if we are all just reading too much into this... DeRo could have made much more money playing in Europe when he was making $130k a season with Houston, but for whatever reason he chose to play in the MLS. I'm sure that he is looking for a raise from his new employers if you will, but at 30 yrs.old I think he would welcome playing at home in front of thousands of adoring fans that will treat him like he's the king of the city. I think like most things on this board, we as die hard fans, are making more of this story than it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True but once it hits $400k it doesn't matter how much we pay him.
    Ya well when you have guys like Dichio and Robbo taking pay cuts to help the team's cause, it doesn't look good when the new fancy boy is trying to empty us out. just saying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by invictusTFC View Post
    I wonder if we are all just reading too much into this... DeRo could have made much more money playing in Europe when he was making $130k a season with Houston, but for whatever reason he chose to play in the MLS. I'm sure that he is looking for a raise from his new employers if you will, but at 30 yrs.old I think he would welcome playing at home in front of thousands of adoring fans that will treat him like he's the king of the city. I think like most things on this board, we as die hard fans, are making more of this story than it is.

Oh for sure. I try to find as many angles and possibilities and then narrow them down to the most realistic ones.

There's no saying it has to be him getting traded to Europe either, it could be somewhere in the MLS if Mo worked up another 'fleece' deal.

Who knows, all I know is I want a solid team front to back come Kansas City.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    Ya well when you have guys like Dichio and Robbo taking pay cuts to help the team's cause, it doesn't look good when the new fancy boy is trying to empty us out. just saying

Agreed, but what if they agreed under the circumstances of adding a few players, one of which being DeRo at an undefined salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why? We were expecting around $600k anyway right? So we give him 400k and the DP spot (theoretically). Then we can pay him $200k, $400k, fuck $2m for all I care as it doesn't count against the cap and it doesn't affect our Allocation situation.
    Because it will ethier burn up our allocation money or use our DP spot.
    Ethier way it handcuffs us when trying to land quality players this year and in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The question is, would the league allow us to make DeRo the DP. As we saw with Cooper, the league will play hardball especially after Dero is still under contract for $325K.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because it will ethier burn up our allocation money or use our DP spot.
    Ethier way it handcuffs us when trying to land quality players this year and in the future.

Right, but quality players doesn't have to equal DP.

Would you be happy if we solidified our backline with 2 quality defenders and added a striker, all within the cap?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by invictusTFC View Post
    The question is, would the league allow us to make DeRo the DP. As we saw with Cooper, the league will play hardball especially after Dero is still under contract for $325K.

That's something I have no clue about. The league is so fucked when it comes to making those kind of decisions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever, we don't know is the bottom line but, I'll tell you what...the team should watch how this story does come out when it finally does, especially if he plays here. If the major newspapers all report a story that smells like greed, DeRo may lose the love that he may be looking forward to. That is, until he scores lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's exactly it Jon, no matter what happens... if the product on the field improves then they've done the job they stated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't say that he couldn't. I said that between his salary and the marketting opportunities that would available to him here but not in Europe he would end up making about the same.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, but quality players doesn't have to equal DP.

Would you be happy if we solidified our backline with 2 quality defenders and added a striker, all within the cap?
    If it was a quality striker.. absolutely.
    In fact, as much as I like DeRo I'd perfer it at this point in the game.
    With Guevara and Robinson, midfield is our strongest area already.
    Last edited by Stryker; 01-08-2009 at 12:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it was a quality striker.. absoulutely.
    In fact, as much as I like DeRo I'd perfer it at this point in the game.
    With Guevara and Robinson, midfield is our strongest area already.
    The beauty about signing DeRo is that he is versatile offesively. He can play Guevara's position, he can play the classic #10 position just behind the striker. He can play as a winger both on the left and right side which he has done a numerous occassions with the CMNT. The point is that his versatility will allow Carver to give the opposition different looks. If a team man marks DeRo, Guevara and Ricketts have freedom to attack. If they man mark Guevara, then it open up the field for DeRo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck allocation money. We want Dero. Did Edu's money get put to use yet? NOPE. Fuck, did Ronnie O'Brien's money even get put to use yet? By the time we use that freeking money we've missed the playoffs another couple of years. We have enough freeking allocation money, what we don't have is players that can take us to the playoffs.

Oh and MLSE cashing in on trading Dero benefits who exactly? not the fans that's for sure.

Selling Dero to Europe is the worst possible thing that could happen to the fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    That would be amazing, but it's probably true. Houston knew that DeRo was looking at Europe, so moved to get rid of him. Mo saw that there's $$$ to be made with a transfer if DeRo goes, and if alternatively he could convince DeRo to stay, he'd get a quality player at a low trade cost.

Never underestimate trader Mo!
    I highly doubt it, if only for the fact that TFC made a big deal of the DeRo trade on their website, including clips on TFC TV and so on.

If DeRo was just picked up to be sold, they wouldn't have put any more effort than a simple press release.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    I highly doubt it, if only for the fact that TFC made a big deal of the DeRo trade on their website, including clips on TFC TV and so on.

If DeRo was just picked up to be sold, they wouldn't have put any more effort than a simple press release.
    My thoughts exactly. The TFC front office would look like idiots he was sold or traded now - unless part of that deal brought in a marquee player.

I doubt he would move to somewhere in Europe anyway. MLS's valuation of him is going to be quite high, and he's on the wrong side of 30 and unproven in Europe to command such a high transfer fee.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's not going to Europe -- it's all b.s.

DeRo himself has blogged on his site (Jan 7, 2009):

Q: Do you still have family in the Toronto area?

De Ro: Yes I have a lot of family in and around Toronto and I’m looking forward to having them around and supporting me during my games.
    http://www.dwaynederosario.com/deros...logDetail/1395
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    He's not going to Europe -- it's all b.s.

DeRo himself has blogged on his site (Jan 7, 2009):

http://www.dwaynederosario.com/deros...logDetail/1395
    Nice blog - I liked this line

"I prefer to Always play on natural grass!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like I said when Morgan from TorStar's article came out, there was (is) something going on with the DeRo deal. Not sure how it will turn out (the best for TFC I hope!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

time for Mo to start looking at trading for another teams dp spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he wants more money he can stay in Houston and be a nobody or he can come here play and be god!

What would you choose?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    If he wants more money he can stay in Houston and be a nobody or he can come here play and be god!

What would you choose?
    Sell him to Europe, negotiate a 1 mil+ trasnfer fee, take the $500,000 in allocation (transfer fees split with leauge), and laugh, because we just got max allocation for Julius James.
    Then send a thank you card to Dwayne for sticking it to Houston, and giving us a $500,000 going away present.

That is what i see going down.

Good move trader Mo

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While getting $500,000 ultimately for Julius James would be great, and I'd be happy, I'd still prefer DeRo in Toronto, and hope to see a lot of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXRrp...eature=related

(same one from behind the net ) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D052...eature=related

Wouldn't it be sweet seeing shots like that every couple of games?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto