Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "Edu Future Safe Despite Looming Rangers Fire Sale"

“What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The story was also covered on the BBC website - Edu is put in the same sentence as Lafferty (Laugherty). That's not a good sign!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...rs/7809537.stm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who cares about Edu! He is overrated! I still can't believe TFC/MLS got $5 million from Rangers for Edu. What a rip off!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edu hasn't got off to a great start at Rangers and usually this is not a good sign at either of the Old Firm. Edu isn't gonna get into the midfield in place of Mendez or 'the armband' so he better be hoping that Ferguson moves on to Newcastle or some other team. Edu clearly isn't fancied as a center back in Scotland either as Rangers have been moving Broadfoot into the middle from right wing back when either Weir or Bougherra is out. I have a feeling that if Edu hasn't played a heck of lot more come December 09 then he will be sold then. I have to say that when I seen Edu last season playing for TFC I was not impressed but then again none of the TFC players impressed me to the point where I thought they were good enough to play for either half of the Glasgow big two. Still in saying that if Kirk Broadfoot, Charlie Adam and Kyle Lafferty are supposedly good enough to get a game for the Gers then perhaps I am wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Who cares about Edu! He is overrated! I still can't believe TFC/MLS got $5 million from Rangers for Edu. What a rip off!
    Tell me about it. I have no idea what Rangers were thinking.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is for all you "Edu sucks, why are we talking about him?" posters: don't bother opening the thread.

I have news for you. I care, and a lot of TFC supporters do too.

1) He is TFC's only export.

2) Edu was a damn fine player in 2007, and I'll go to my grave believing that he was dogging it this past year because he didn't want to get hurt and queer the transfer. He may not be good enough for Rangers, but he's an excellent player. Do you Edu haters have any idea how many quality pros he has beaten out to win his USMNT place?

3) Also he's a decent person.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-04-2009 at 04:38 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is for all you "Edu sucks, why are we talking about him?" posters: don't bother opening the thread.

2) Edu was a damn fine player in 2007, and I'll go to my grave believing that he was dogging it this past year because he didn't want to get hurt and queer the transfer. He may not be good enough for Rangers, but he's an excellent player. Do you Edu haters have any idea how many quality pros he has beaten out to win his USMNT place?

Response:
    1) does that make him NOT overrated?? Or any good to begin with?

2) Even then i thought he was shit... thefact that some people think he was good back them is because people were still in the honey moon stage.. and they would praise ANY player like eski... although a great guy... wasn;t a great player on a picth.

3) One he was good on camara... you don;t know the guy personally... any body can seem nice at first site. And more importantly...What is this MIss Universe contest?? Since when being nice matters..MORE than the player you are.. I would rather have an ass hole who rips it on the field than a "NICE GUY" that is a spectator on the field..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking about Edu is fine, just don't post it in the TFC/MLS news section - move it to the International Forum or the Glasgow Rangers thread.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The article indicates that he'll need time to mature, not that he's crap. That's actually typical for North Americans, who peak at a later age.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we're going to do threads on ex-players, let's see what Welsh-y is up to:

Yeovil Town earned a hard fought point away at promotion pushing Millwall who extended their winless streak to three games after a disappointing 1-1 draw at The Den.
    oth sides squandered late efforts with Tomlin heading straight at Forde from Andy Welsh's accurate cross before Marc Laird blazed over having made space for himself on the edge of the box late in injury time.
    http://www.sportbox.tv/football/news...php?id=3077209
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dogging it is one thing ... but not knowing how to strike a football is quite another.

I can remember several times where Edu was lacking in fundamental skills. Positioning, passing ... and above all else shooting. He scuffed so many sitters in 2008 it was almost becoming comical.

Hell, he wasn't even a good tackler like Robbo is. He was basically a floater with great athleticism. He belongs in the MLS ... not on a team who gets regular European action.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edu was an average player on a terrible team during the first season. Therefore, Edu looked talented. As the team improved, and Edu did not, fans were able to clearly see that Edu was not all he was made out to be. He did not 'dog' it, like somebody said. If you have Andy Welsh on your left, you're going to look good no matter what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who are they trying to kid? He will be gone next season .... this was the best move Mo has ever pulled. The Rangers are never going to buy a player from us after this rob job.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 125_TFC View Post
    Edu was an average player on a terrible team during the first season. Therefore, Edu looked talented. As the team improved, and Edu did not, fans were able to clearly see that Edu was not all he was made out to be. He did not 'dog' it, like somebody said. If you have Andy Welsh on your left, you're going to look good no matter what.
    Man, you and I were watching two different teams in 2007. That team was as good or better than the 2008 team in May and June 2007, before the injuries decimated the team.

As for Edu's skills, he was a tremendous tackler and ball winner in 2007. He was less effective in distribution and shooting, but nowhere near as bad as others have portrayed him.

Lastly, I couldn't disagree more about how "good" Welsh made Edu look. With Andy Welsh on your left, you're going to look bad, not good. What player looks better playing with crappy players? (Now you might have a point if you'd mentioned O'Brien - Guevara is a different player, we've never replaced ROB, he really did make Edu and the other MFs better.)
    Last edited by ensco; 01-05-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 125_TFC View Post
    Edu was an average player on a terrible team during the first season. Therefore, Edu looked talented. As the team improved, and Edu did not, fans were able to clearly see that Edu was not all he was made out to be. He did not 'dog' it, like somebody said.
    I'm with you on this. Edu stood out cuz he had the likes of Miguel Canizalez to be compared to. But as the team improved (and I really do think the season 2 team was better) he looked shittier. He had some skills but the hype machine worked overdrive and MLS reaped the rewards.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry but this argument that Rangers were fools, and the USMNT are morons, which seems to be so popular on these boards, is pretty tough to swallow. Even if Edu doesn't work out at Rangers.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-05-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he was "doggin it" why do you care for him anyways? The guy's a cunt if he did that, but I doubt he did. Playing like shit usually doesn't get you big money transfers, your speculation is not grounded in reality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    Edu hasn't got off to a great start at Rangers and usually this is not a good sign at either of the Old Firm. Edu isn't gonna get into the midfield in place of Mendez or 'the armband' so he better be hoping that Ferguson moves on to Newcastle or some other team. Edu clearly isn't fancied as a center back in Scotland either as Rangers have been moving Broadfoot into the middle from right wing back when either Weir or Bougherra is out. I have a feeling that if Edu hasn't played a heck of lot more come December 09 then he will be sold then. I have to say that when I seen Edu last season playing for TFC I was not impressed but then again none of the TFC players impressed me to the point where I thought they were good enough to play for either half of the Glasgow big two. Still in saying that if Kirk Broadfoot, Charlie Adam and Kyle Lafferty are supposedly good enough to get a game for the Gers then perhaps I am wrong?
    Lafferty is just getting started

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have probably seen Lafferty more times than me as he is a Northern Irish international but by all accounts his time in Scotland so far hasn't been great. He is quickly becoming a bit of a joke figure amongst the other teams supporters and is already being dubbed the new Sebo which is not a good sign at all. I don't think he is helped when he is played out wide mind but his strike rate over the past few years is poor although he was also played out of position at Burnley. I think a lot of people look at the money spent on him and expect something a bit more than someone who might just one day prove he is good enough to play for Rangers. Money is tight in Govan at the moment and a lot of the Rangers fan view the 6 million pounds spent on Edu and Lafferty as a bit of a waste of money at this stage,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maurice Edu and Eddie Johnson belong on the same sentence. You can't tell me that he will be anything but a bench player on Rangers. Definitely, Rangers FC were smoking something, just like Fulham was smoking something when they paid 5 million for Eddie Johnson.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Torcida_Toronto View Post
    If he was "doggin it" why do you care for him anyways?
    In 2008, he was laying off hard tackles and he would not slide tackle at BMO. I think he did this with the club's encouragement/consent, as the club/league didn't wanted to lose the $5 million. This doesn't affect my view of Maurice - why would it?

His play at TFC had zero to do with his transfer value, it was always about his USMNT accomplishments.

Edu took playing minutes away from USMNT players with significant pedigrees - Feilhaber played in the EPL for several years, Orozco and Torres start for their teams and are important players in the Mexican Primera. Do any of you know any of this?
    Last edited by ensco; 01-06-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    You have probably seen Lafferty more times than me as he is a Northern Irish international but by all accounts his time in Scotland so far hasn't been great. He is quickly becoming a bit of a joke figure amongst the other teams supporters and is already being dubbed the new Sebo which is not a good sign at all. I don't think he is helped when he is played out wide mind but his strike rate over the past few years is poor although he was also played out of position at Burnley. I think a lot of people look at the money spent on him and expect something a bit more than someone who might just one day prove he is good enough to play for Rangers. Money is tight in Govan at the moment and a lot of the Rangers fan view the 6 million pounds spent on Edu and Lafferty as a bit of a waste of money at this stage,
    Edu has 0 goals in 1 appearance and Lafferty has 4 goals in 15 appearances which is good for third on the team in goals. I don't know how you can compare them, I think ye are aff yer bap mate!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His play at TFC had zero to do with his transfer value, it was always about his USMNT accomplishments.
    Was it fuck – His (over valued) transfer was SDM quelling the restless natives. The boy was never meant to get a run out at Ibrox.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't comparing goals scored by Edu and Lafferty, i was comparing how they have both failed to make any decent impact at Rangers so far. Like I said most Scottish football supporters consider Lafferty to be a flop so far, the main reason being is that he was bought for 3 million pounds which coincidently is the same amount of money Rangers are being quoted as selling Kris Boyd for much to the dismay of most Rangers fans. Lafferty may have scored 3 goals in 14 matches for Rangers but that is not that impressive in Scotland when you play for a top two team. If you include all of the games Lafferty has played in his career with Burnley and Rangers then he has played 95 games and scored 13 goals which makes me think he isn't a prolific goal scorer. Kris Boyd however has scored 134 goals in 250 games or so in the SPL, he is prolific. The very fact that the Rangers manager has had to come out and defend Edu and Lafferty in particular basically speaks for itself about how poor a start they have actually had and how much stick they have come under.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Who are they trying to kid? He will be gone next season .... this was the best move Mo has ever pulled. The Rangers are never going to buy a player from us after this rob job.
    Had nothing to do with Mo. MLS negotiates transfer fees for outgoing players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    Had nothing to do with Mo. MLS negotiates transfer fees for outgoing players.
    Transfer fee aside, it has been said that Mo was the one who was sending out feelers for Edu in Glasgow and apparently hyped him up to be the next big thing.