Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Does getting DeRo mean we won't get/need a DP?

I say this pushes us getting a DP back at least 1 more year....but I could be wrong. Since a lot of folks on here said they'd love to have DeRo but not as a DP I'd like to know what people think.
    Last edited by Eastend; 12-13-2008 at 08:45 PM.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, if we have cap room to fit a DP in at the striker or CB position, then I say we should do it.
    As long as it leaves room to get one more player to strengthen the other spot.

But if we got a decent player into each spot with using the DP, then I think we would still be in good shape

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't seem as urgent to fill the DP slot, but I still want one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    well, if we have cap room to fit a DP in at the striker or CB position, then I say we should do it.
    As long as it leaves room to get one more player to strengthen the other spot.

But if we got a decent player into each spot with using the DP, then I think we would still be in good shape
    I hate this salary cap so much. well, i hate it combined with the DP rule - if the cap was just raised by as much as the team is willing to spend on a DP, but they could spread it around more, that would good.

Has anyone totalled the TFC salaries with DeRo replacing JJ? Is there enough room for a $400,000 DP hit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    I say this pushes us getting a DP back at least 1 more year....but I could be wrong. Since a lot of folks on here said they'd love to have DeRo but not as a DP I'd like to know what people think.
    This is a great question. I really hope that MoJo & MLSE don't just sit on this and use it as a distraction to not signing a DP. One thing I don't want to hear from the front office is how we have the best midfield in MLS now...remember when the CMNT was supposed to have the best midfield in CONCACAF?

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that we still need a striker and CB...what is debatable is which position to use the DP on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d like to see two strikers, two CB s and a wide left player. Trade Guevara possibly. I don’t think we’ll see the best of DeRo if we play him wide or in a five man midfield. Ideally, one of the strikers would be the DP.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo is a defacto DP

- he's going to improve the club which will help keep seat retention rate high
    - he will sell jerseys
    - and he's going to increase the profile of the team

Though we should still get a DP... what's the point of a DP slot if you don't use it?

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by egoodwin View Post

Though we should still get a DP... what's the point of a DP slot if you don't use it?

well, there's the age old argument that says there's a good chance you will take up too much of your cap space on a DP and not leave enough room for depth players... ie LA.

With DeRo taking up the max in salary, if we ad a DP we would have around $800,000 used up on two players. I think we have seen where that can cause a team trouble. I would be fine if we used the remaining money on a couple reliable players. But hey, I am no footie manager, so I will trust in the powers that be to make the right decisions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    well, there's the age old argument that says there's a good chance you will take up too much of your cap space on a DP and not leave enough room for depth players... ie LA.

With DeRo taking up the max in salary, if we ad a DP we would have around $800,000 used up on two players. I think we have seen where that can cause a team trouble. I would be fine if we used the remaining money on a couple reliable players. But hey, I am no footie manager, so I will trust in the powers that be to make the right decisions.
    Can someone decipher if we can use any allocation $$$ for Dero...I'm in no condition right now...if we can that may save us from Flats' LA scenario...here are the MLS rules for allocation $$$

Allocation money can be traded by teams. Allocation money does not count against a team's salary budget and can be used:

• To sign players new to MLS (that is, a player that did not play in MLS during the previous season).
    • To re-sign an existing MLS player, with League approval.
    • In connection with the exercise of an option to purchase a player's rights or the extension of a player's contact for the second year provided the player was new to MLS in the immediately prior year.

Allocation money cannot otherwise be used to buy down the salary budget number of players already under contract to the League, nor can allocation money be used to buy down the budget number of a Designated Player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It probably does reduce our chances of getting a DP but I still believe we need one. I do hope the FO doesn't use this admittedly great DeRo deal to try to hypnotize us into forgetting about getting a DP. But, given that he was able to rob Houston, I think Mo deserves some benefit of the doubt here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To re-sign an existing MLS player, with League approval.
    I think this may be what TFC did, because DeRo did sign a higher paying contract, from $325K to $400K.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trifey View Post
    Can someone decipher if we can use any allocation $$$ for Dero...I'm in no condition right now...if we can that may save us from Flats' LA scenario...here are the MLS rules for allocation $$$
    As I read it, either:

1. We know that DeRo is now being paid more than he was in Houston so that implies a new contract. This would fall under the second bullet point of the allocation rules.

or

2. We use allocation money on a guy that would normally be a DP (like Schellotto last year) but to reduce his salary to non-DP status. In other words, we sign a guy at 1 million a year (which would make him a DP) but use allocation money to bring down his cap hit. Technically speaking, that appears to satisfy the rule as this player never would have been a DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trifey View Post
    I think the one thing we can all agree on is that we still need a striker and CB...what is debatable is which position to use the DP on.
    I don't think we'll ever see a DP spot used on a defender. Teams want game-breakers from their DP and a striker or attacking mid-fielder can change a game more quickly than a defender (who still has to rely on the 3 other Ds that he's playing with).

Defenders are hard to market as impact players, it requires more understanding of the game. Marketing a goal-scorer is a lot easy way of attracting new fans.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather have DeRo than Gallardo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DP striker or bust. end of story.

Dichio's my hero, but he's only gonna be a sub. Ibrahim? not quite ready to be a starter..... and as much as i like Barrett we can't rely on him alone.

Barrett, please make me eat my words! go on! i'd love for him to prove me wrong. he never mails it in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I don't think we'll ever see a DP spot used on a defender. Teams want game-breakers from their DP and a striker or attacking mid-fielder can change a game more quickly than a defender (who still has to rely on the 3 other Ds that he's playing with).

Defenders are hard to market as impact players, it requires more understanding of the game. Marketing a goal-scorer is a lot easy way of attracting new fans.
    You never know. I think if the club had the opportunity to sign a brand name offensive superstar like Beckham, versus an equally good defender, they would always take the superstar.

However, given that we already now have a "big name" attacker in DeRo (at least in Canada), you might see them go for whatever they think the team needs most. I personally think that is defense, now that we have DeRo.

A highly skilled, veteran center back would work wonders for us. We need someone back there who can not only effectively shut down teams, but can also orchestrate the rest of the backline, and give some of our less talented defenders some direction - which will make them better too.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DP...we dont need one...ever....what we do need is quality players on the defence and midfie;d areas and that can be done without the DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    DP...we dont need one...ever....what we do need is quality players on the defence and midfie;d areas and that can be done without the DP.
    listen, I want a DP just to say we have one! /jk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    However, given that we already now have a "big name" attacker in DeRo (at least in Canada), you might see them go for whatever they think the team needs most. I personally think that is defense, now that we have DeRo.
    I love De Ro, but he's not the answer to our scoring problems on his own - we still need a striker who can reliably finish.

A highly skilled, veteran center back would work wonders for us. We need someone back there who can not only effectively shut down teams, but can also orchestrate the rest of the backline, and give some of our less talented defenders some direction - which will make them better too.
    I'm not saying that we couldn't use a DP CB, I'm just saying it won't happen. A defender can't single handedly change a game the way an attacking mid-fielder or striker can. If you can only invest heavily in 1 player it makes the most sense to make that player and attacking one. Also - probably equally important - teams want DPs to have a certain marketability to them (to help recoup the high salary) and it's far easier to sell a attacking player to the public.

- Scott[/quote]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, because Michael Owen is going to be the DP upfront.....

You herd it here first folks....

...kidding..

But if it does happen, you herd it here first.
    Last edited by Marc"2L"; 12-14-2008 at 06:52 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I love De Ro, but he's not the answer to our scoring problems on his own - we still need a striker who can reliably finish.

I'm not saying that we couldn't use a DP CB, I'm just saying it won't happen. A defender can't single handedly change a game the way an attacking mid-fielder or striker can. If you can only invest heavily in 1 player it makes the most sense to make that player and attacking one. Also - probably equally important - teams want DPs to have a certain marketability to them (to help recoup the high salary) and it's far easier to sell a attacking player to the public.
    We have that potential difference-maker in DeRo now, however. I do think we still need a proficient striker to make the most of our scoring chances, but I just think our defensive needs are more immediate at this point.

You are right though - I do suspect they will go for a big name attacker for DP.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can we sign mario yepes already??

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo is a de facto DP but we could still do well with an official one -- especially a striker, or if necessary, a central defender.
    Still possibly the only known RPB to appear on Masterchef Canada.
    (I think?)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anything this signing should signal the opposite, it means that MLSE/Mo are making moves to create a playoff/league winning team. How does the signing of a non DP, max salary player equate to the not signing of a DP? We still have a ton of allocation money, MLSE has openly said they will pay for an appropriate DP, we have some slots open as far as our senior/international roster is concerned. This initial argument reeks of tired leaf supporting. Is it necessary to remind people that this is not the Maple Leafs and that supporters will not stand for mediocrity?

De Ro is a hell of a signing but hes only one step in a few to creating a playoff team. For some time (since almost the start) its been evident that TFC has needed a clinical finisher, how in any logical manner does this signing suggest otherwise?

It doesnt

More moves will be made.

For christ sake, we heard about Nuno Gomes rejecting a contract at TFC before our De Ro joined us back home. This is fucking soccer, not hockey.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only thing that scares me about the prospect of not getting a DP:

Every time Anselmi talks about a DP, he always says "if Mo can get the right guy, at the right price". When he says that, I always start to wonder what "right price" means, because when it comes to attracting viable longer term DP's to a new league in North America, you're going to have to speak with some really lucrative coin.

It worries me, because you're seldom going to find not only the right guy, but the right guy asking the right price. More often than not, it'll be the right guy, asking for the "wrong" price, to lure him away from Europe.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very right shakes. 3.2 million is a DP and unfortunately so is $400,001. Guess which MLSE would lean toward.

I like the point of building a team, not finding a player. Pretty much like Houston.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorCanSoc View Post
    Very right shakes. 3.2 million is a DP and unfortunately so is $400,001. Guess which MLSE would lean toward.

I like the point of building a team, not finding a player. Pretty much like Houston.
    The other thing is, I'd like some clarification from MLS as to what exactly their official stance is on transfer fees. Because you can't expect Beckham-caliber players to keep coming to MLS on bloody free transfers.

Or Huckerbys. Or Angels, for that matter.

- Scott

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    If anything this signing should signal the opposite, it means that MLSE/Mo are making moves to create a playoff/league winning team. How does the signing of a non DP, max salary player equate to the not signing of a DP? We still have a ton of allocation money, MLSE has openly said they will pay for an appropriate DP, we have some slots open as far as our senior/international roster is concerned. This initial argument reeks of tired leaf supporting. Is it necessary to remind people that this is not the Maple Leafs and that supporters will not stand for mediocrity?

De Ro is a hell of a signing but hes only one step in a few to creating a playoff team. For some time (since almost the start) its been evident that TFC has needed a clinical finisher, how in any logical manner does this signing suggest otherwise?

It doesnt

More moves will be made.

For christ sake, we heard about Nuno Gomes rejecting a contract at TFC before our De Ro joined us back home. This is fucking soccer, not hockey.
    This is true. DeRo isn't the messiah all by himself. He can be a huge piece of the puzzle, but we need a few more pieces for sure.

Mo made a great first step. But it has to be just that, a FIRST step. There are still some GAPING holes on our roster. Last I heard, DeRo doesn't play central defence, striker and midfield all at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Only thing that scares me about the prospect of not getting a DP:

Every time Anselmi talks about a DP, he always says "if Mo can get the right guy, at the right price". When he says that, I always start to wonder what "right price" means, because when it comes to attracting viable longer term DP's to a new league in North America, you're going to have to speak with some really lucrative coin.

It worries me, because you're seldom going to find not only the right guy, but the right guy asking the right price. More often than not, it'll be the right guy, asking for the "wrong" price, to lure him away from Europe.

- Scott
    I still think it's the best strategy, Scott. Getting the right guy that fits is the key here. I think finding a guy who fits and who works for the team on the field and financially is vital to making the DP thing work. If it's someone who's just here for the money, then you don't get the effort. If it's someone who's here to showcase themselves so they can go back to Europe, then they could be gone at any minute. There is certainly a combination of factors involved to ensure we get our version of Blanco or Angel or Schellotto as opposed to Gallardo or Denilson!
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though most want a striker, I think Dichio/Barrett/Ibbe could be enough up front. Dichio if healthy, with his one touch game, will be a machine with this midfield.

I would really, truly love to bring in a stud center back. If we need to use the DP for that. fine.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Even though most want a striker, I think Dichio/Barrett/Ibbe could be enough up front. Dichio if healthy, with his one touch game, will be a machine with this midfield.

I would really, truly love to bring in a stud center back. If we need to use the DP for that. fine.
    I don't agree with you.

Dichio's not a full season player. He's not getting any younger. Think of all the times where we needed a poacher this past season. Someone to just put it in the damn net! We need that desperately. A 15 goal scorer.

15 from a DP
    10 from Barret
    7 from Ibbe
    5 from DD

That would be just fine with me!

And, of course, we do need a defender who can lead the back line. But who's out there and available? MLS isn't exactly chock full of defensive monsters
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy