Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default An idea

I was wondering if there has been any discusion with TFC management regarding having a lyric sheet sent out with the seasons ticket packages of the common songs/chants? i'm sure we can get together with the other groups and come up with some goods idea's that can be discussed with Paul.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe put them in programs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't know much control TFC has with regards to the programs. thats a MLS production i believe. it should be looked into at least.

i'm pretty sure TFC has full control of the packages though. to me it just looks like a good chance to reach as many people as possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a good idea, it would get everyone on the same page as far as chants and songs go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A song booklet would be a nice addition in the season seat package...

Keep it to the simple songs/chants, and only a few of them... If there's a lot of them, and it seems confusing to people - they'll disregard. If its simple and looks like easy fun, the common fan will/should jump aboard...

Good idea Flip...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Can You Hear Columbus Sing" is pretty simple.

Think they'll include that?
    Another summer of hope!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a great idea.

El Presidente?

mlsintoronto?

EDIT - my list of chants and songs to be included:

TFC, TOR, ONT, OOOOOOO
    THIS IS OUR HOUSE
    Dichio 23:13
    TFC Massive
    When The Reds Go Marching In
    They Built The House On Lakeshore

That should be a good opening sample. We can increase the list as the chants and songs become better known. but I really like the idea of having a TFC branded booklet sent out with the season tickets. I think kids would really get into it then and join in more, as well as some adults. It would suck to be in a quieter section and want to join in, but not really know the words etc. This would solve that problem, at least to some extent.
    Last edited by Hitcho; 12-08-2008 at 11:55 AM.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one problem with that, that I've brought up before, is that the team will have to "vet" the songs because suddenly those songs become a reflection on the front office.

As such, the songs can't be offensive, they'll have to be acceptable to the front office, and we'll actually have to agree on the contents.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they'd have to keep to the tamer, and hence less popular songs IMO.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even so, it's a great idea.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a good idea and, yeah, the songs would have to be the ones without swearing in them (or revised lyrics would have to be supplied for the ones that do have swearing).

Cost is always an issue for something like this. And quality. Someone has to design something up that's pretty as well as functional and then it has to be printed.

Also, if this is a season seat holder produced item, input from the other supporters groups would be not necessarily required but certainly preferable to just RPBs picking the songs.

Maybe this idea should be floated around to the other SG's as a group effort?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely think there should be combined SG input.

Also think the list of songs will need to be "clean", but there are a core group of songs and chants that are fine for this purpose - see my list above as an example.

As for design etc, it shouldn't be a problem to find someone among the SGs to do this. Cost of printing is an issue perhaps, but if it's kept to a few pages only it won't be too much. Compared to the scarves they send out, it won't add muchy to the overall package cost. And the season ticket printers might offer to print the song sheets at a discount. Or more likely, the club will get a sponsor to put their name on it and cover the cost that way.

I think it's a good idea. We'll never get the whole stadium chanting abuse in unison, but we might finally get everyone on board with the Dichio song, the massive (imagine that being done east to west?!) and simple songs like when the reds go marching in. And that has to be a good thing, imho.
    Last edited by Hitcho; 12-08-2008 at 12:11 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we'd be in...but yes it should come from the leadership of the SGs and yes it would have to be clean...

jack - over to you and your counterparts with the other groups. We'd need it by mid January in order to get it into the ticket package.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    This is a great idea.

El Presidente?

mlsintoronto?

EDIT - my list of chants and songs to be included:

TFC, TOR, ONT, OOOOOOO
    THIS IS OUR HOUSE
    Dichio 23:13
    TFC Massive
    When The Reds Go Marching In
    They Built The House On Lakeshore

That should be a good opening sample. We can increase the list as the chants and songs become better known. but I really like the idea of having a TFC branded booklet sent out with the season tickets. I think kids would really get into it then and join in more, as well as some adults. It would suck to be in a quieter section and want to join in, but not really know the words etc. This would solve that problem, at least to some extent.
    Sorry, but there is no need to include this in any song list.

I will speak with Jack on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is not the 3rd straight season that this idea has been suggested?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlsintoronto View Post
    I think we'd be in...but yes it should come from the leadership of the SGs and yes it would have to be clean...

jack - over to you and your counterparts with the other groups. We'd need it by mid January in order to get it into the ticket package.

well ain't that cool

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post

Song stroke CHANT list is what it was, and while it seems dead simple to anyone in the south end who sings it every week, I know for a fact there are people in the east stand who don't really know what's being sung, because I've spoken to them. Now, bearing in mind this list would be aimed at exactly those people, and not seasoned chanters in supporter sections, I thought it was worth including. It's on the video demo the club page links you to in any event.

Still, just my opinion. El Presidente and the other El Presidentes can finalize things however they want if this goes ahead.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlsintoronto View Post

Paul - what's the scope for the club getting a simple TFC branded design in place, or do the SG's need to basically provide you with a finished product ready to go to print?

I guess the point is, are the club/league happy to let someone else create designs using proprietary logos etc, or do you just want a chant/song list to brand up yourself?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I imagine it would be....We provide the songs/chants they would design something to go out.

blackandwhite

Waste of effort...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. That song annoys me to no end when people start singing it. It's the most redundant song ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A song sheet?

what are we a choir??????????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sab0tage View Post
    Thank you. That song annoys me to no end when people start singing it. It's the most redundant song ever.
    Lets not be elitist. Sure the song is simple, and yes fools have sung it when we are losing games at home, but seriously, not everyone that goes to games spends their whole day, every day on this forum, and therefore, some of these simple chants are completely necessary.

Also, IMO, this is one of the most effective chants we have, everyone gets it going, supporters, casuals, kids, and it gets loud. Is that not the point in the first place, and not showing off your Footy IQ?

When the whole South Stand can sing multiple verses all together, and sing anthems and whatnot, we can talk about dropping these chants. Christ, last year we couldn't even get the Dichio24 together consistently.

Finally, I would have to say that the Supporters who hate that song, judging by the masses at every game who love singing it, are in a distinct minority on this one.

Having said all that, I definitely agree that it is way over used, and can;t be sung over and over every game (ditto When the reds go marching in) But it certainly has it's time and place. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves as to which songs are too basic for us. We're young and we're learning.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro118 View Post
    Lets not be elitist. Sure the song is simple, and yes fools have sung it when we are losing games at home, but seriously, not everyone that goes to games spends their whole day, every day on this forum, and therefore, some of these simple chants are completely necessary.

Also, IMO, this is one of the most effective chants we have, everyone gets it going, supporters, casuals, kids, and it gets loud. Is that not the point in the first place, and not showing off your Footy IQ?

When the whole South Stand can sing multiple verses all together, and sing anthems and whatnot, we can talk about dropping these chants. Christ, last year we couldn't even get the Dichio24 together consistently.

Finally, I would have to say that the Supporters who hate that song, judging by the masses at every game who love singing it, are in a distinct minority on this one.

Having said all that, I definitely agree that it is way over used, and can;t be sung over and over every game (ditto When the reds go marching in) But it certainly has it's time and place. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves as to which songs are too basic for us. We're young and we're learning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    TFC, TOR, ONT, OOOOOOO
    Not another one....

Way too many people thinking the TFC comes first...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro118 View Post

Timing and use of this chant aside, I said there was no need for it to be included, as it is rather basic. Its one line, and there is really nothing else to it.

If this was to be done, I think that space that TIOH would take up could better be used for something else.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Timing and use of this chant aside, I said there was no need for it to be included, as it is rather basic. Its one line, and there is really nothing else to it.

If this was to be done, I think that space that TIOH would take up could better be used for something else.
    Yeah, think what you could do with that whole extra line of space!!

Smart ass quips aside, I guess it depends on who we're aiming the booklet/sheet at. I know there are some SSHs who don't really know any words to any chants, no matter how basic or simple. On that basis, the simple ones should be included, but then again are these people really going to join in even if they finally discover the words? If we're aiming at more middle of the road SSHs who join in on simple stuff but need help pinning down the words to more complex chants and songs, then I agree the dead simple stuff is a waste, because it's already known. I'd say aim for the lowest common denominator because it;s better to have 16,000 people singing some chants than 4,000 people singing all of them, no?

One other thing - these things will need to be small enough to take to games, unless we think people will sit and memorise the words at home before coming to the games!
    Last edited by Hitcho; 12-08-2008 at 04:59 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    Not another one....

Way too many people thinking the TFC comes first...
    yes... i won a bet about this... it was sweet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this idea comes to life (and it really shouldn't), and this song is included (which it really shouldn't), there should some disclaimers

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can certainly see how this might seem like a good idea.
    But my concern is that there would then be too much focus on just a few songs and chants. And considering how weak I think some of our standard repertoire already is, I would rather we concentrate on improving our selection before telling thousands of others what songs they should be aware of. We the supporters still have much work to do in order to get really good. Once that happens... then we can share the wisdom we have obtained!