Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giambac, not to pick on you, but you are getting confused about the meaning of "price" and "cost" and "value".

The price you pay for your season tickets is not really connected either the cost of providing those tickets, or the value you receive. (This is broadly speaking true for everything in life, be it eggs at the corner store, or a Ferrari, btw)

When MLSE put AV and Benfica in the season ticket package last year, they knew it was probably going to be a money loser, but they did it:

(i) to help stimulate overall and season's ticket sales, and
    (ii) as an experiment, because if they had sold 6,000 tickets at an average of $100 each, they would have recouped the guarantee and learned something valuable - that they could bring "bigger-ticket" friendlies into BMO despite its small size

Guess what?

(i) it turns out they don't need friendlies of that caliber to sell the seasons tickets (sounds like maybe you're the exception, but in general, almost nobody will not renew next year over this, in their opinion)
    (ii) not very many people will pay $100 to see an "Aston Villa" or a "Benfica" in a TFC friendly

(there's been no big change in the C$dollar from 2007 to 2008, fyi, and as for the guarantee market, it's ALWAYS been a big money game)

So the result is Pachuca and Independiente. Not bad, although I wish the games weren't in July. But it's got nothing to do with getting screwed by MLSE - "value" is not an absolute for everyone. They just try to predict where "value" falls for the vast majority. You're always free not to renew your seats next year.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-23-2008 at 06:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    The funny thing is both Independiente supporters and Pachuca supporters are probably saying.... WTF? Who's TFC? I want my money back BITCH!!!
    QFT!

I don't know why most of you people are whining...we've only been around for 2 years, I don't think we earned that right to complain yet about who we want to face in friendlies...I'm curious on how we'll do against their side, incase we face this clubs in CONCACAF Champions League we will have a measuring stick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would Pachuca supporters care that their team is playing TFC? TFC isn't going over to their stadium to play a friendly. In fact they are making their money off of us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ we cared when we played at Portland.

They will especially care if one of their stars gets injured.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf88 View Post
    Independiente and West Ham are about the same place in their respective leagues, except West Ham play in the best league in the world. I respect Independiente's history, but they haven't won a Copa Libertaderos in 25 years. West Ham are full of international stars, and are possibly going to sign Henry. They might not have the trophies historically, but at this moment in time, I would put their prestige levels, internationally, on an equal level.
    This argument could go on and on forever.

I'll just say this and I wont comment on this topic anymore because I doubt anyone will want to read my ramblings after digesting this one:

West Ham is a club with some history and have a well recognized name, especially in the english speaking world because of the preponderance of the British media telling us over an over again how important the EPL is. But realistically, they are a club of middling importance in the grand scheme of things in England (no offense to Hammer fans). To many people, West Ham is best known for being the club featured in that stupid hooligan moovie with Elijah wood. To say their current club is full of international "stars" is a bit of stretch. They had a star last season (an argetine by the name of Tevez) but I don't see any "stars" on the current roster...

Independiente, on the other hand, is the 3rd most famous teams in a country that is home to 2 of the most famous teams in the world. People who don't believe that River and Boca are two of the most famous teams in the world simply don't speak spanish. In the spanish speaking world (and this includes Spain), Boca and River would rank just below Barca and Real Madrid in importance (even though Boca has won way more global titles than either Barca or Real Madrid).

The problem with Argentinian soccer is the economy of the country itself. The country's economy has been garbage for 20+ years and it's had a corrosive effect on the economics of football in the country. If these clubs could afford to pay their young players the way they can be paid in Europe (partly thanks to the incredibly strong Euro), trust me, they wouldn't leave at the rate they do now. Argentine's are a bit like Italians. They don't like to stray so far from home. But the money talks and the clubs have no choice but to sell, which is a shame and affects the way the Argentine primera is judged.

Independiente consistently has developed some of the most significant names in Argentine footballing history. The list is so long that I'd just suggest checking out their Wiki page. If they could afford to keep some of the youngsters that they've been forced to sell to retire their debt, this club would have been a powerhouse still.

Who are the West Ham all time greats? Bobby Moore no doubt...Trevor Brooking for sure...Billy Bonds too. Rio Ferdinand is probably the best Hammer graduate in EPL currently but he wasn't a Hammer for very long. Its a decent list but not exactly what I'd call overwhelming.

Unfortunately, EPL fans are alot like Italian Serie A fans (who I have had to listen to all my life). They're incredibly myopic. Things that are great in the rest of the world can't really be that great if they don't happen in England (or Italy....its interchangeable).

Lets never forget that the footie is a truly global game. It doesn't belong to one country or another. There are great clubs in all corners of the world. They're just different. Hopefully one day, North America will be able to claim that they have some great clubs. I hope TFC will be one of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^ excellent post dude. you are 100% correct. and good to see someone else is familiar with the world game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ALL HAIL VPjr!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf88 View Post
    ^ we cared when we played at Portland.

They will especially care if one of their stars gets injured.
    I don't know about you but I don't recall many people objecting to that friendly. Obviously it would be a different story if Portland came to play Toronto at BMO Field but that friendly in itself was fine by me. Seemed a bit pointless, yes, considering that Portland possibly could not have been paying us the big bucks in appearance fees but it was fine none the less.

And teams like Manchester United and Chelsea go off to Asia to play some no name teams because it doesn't matter who you're playing as long as you're making money. Heck, Man U went to the Middle East during the Christmas break.

Any way, in my opinion, the ideal situation would have been a Euro team plus a South American team. Benfica and Independiente would have been cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i love seeing teams from all around the world play. Only thing i dont like about the friendlies is they are at a bad time on are schedule. Its right in the middle of some of are most inportant games, such as the qualifying matches for Champions League vs Montreal and Vancouver and in a busy part of are MLS season. I wish the games were more like now or even a few weeks ago like when we had 2 weeks off. Not in July.

And as for Pachuca playing, i think they are the best team in North America currently, they have proved this by winning 2 Concacaf Cups in a row, won alot of cups in the mexican league over the last few years and even won Copa Sudamericana in 2006 ( for people who dont know what that is, its like the South American version of UEFA Cup but they also let mexico teams compete in it). But i would have rather played a different team then Pachuca because we most likely be playing at some point over the years in Champions League. I would have rather played a team outside of North America who we porbably will never get to play against.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These will likely amount to a pair of glamour 'reserve' games. TFC can't afford to put our best players on the pitch(not for long, at least) due to the density of the July schedule. Who knows what sort of squads Pachuca and Independiente will bring?
    Last year, Benfica brought a weak reserve squad peppered with one or two old names and Aston Villa fielded a good number of starters... only because it was near the end of their pre-season. The results reflected the sort of squads that they brought over. A full-strength Benfica would have annihilated a first-year TFC not tie 0-0.
    Take these friendlies for what they are...just friendlies. Go watch some TFC players you don't normally get to see. Seize the opportunity to go to the merchandise stand and not have to line up. It's never bad spending an evening at BMO field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this isn't related to TFC's friendlies but its interesting and relevant:

Sorry that I missed this, but Real Madrid has bailed on their exhibition in Salt Lake City later this summer for financial reasons (the US Dollar is so weak that it's not worth their time.)
    - from Du Nord Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure I would like to of seen a major football club,but Pachuca and indipendiente if i spelled it correct are pretty good attractions.Remember the euros are in june and alot of the top players are playing for their countrys and then they go on holidays.If a big club came here especially in the first couple of weeks of july it would be a watered down roster anyway.I dont think seeing these clubs are that bad.The games might be very enjoyable!you never know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VPjr View Post
    this isn't related to TFC's friendlies but its interesting and relevant:

Sorry that I missed this, but Real Madrid has bailed on their exhibition in Salt Lake City later this summer for financial reasons (the US Dollar is so weak that it's not worth their time.)
    - from Du Nord Blog
    Just finished reading in the latest Soccer360 that Real madrid are in financial difficulty and had to go to the banks recently with hat in hand looking for a loan for operating capital. Can't imagine that playing this game would have been a money losing proposition but you never know.