Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I've been told by Mexicans Gringo is reserved for Americans not all caucasians. I thought that kind of interesting...but friendlies will start being less attractive if they don't sellout...

To your average Mexican they won't make the distinction of America vs Canada. If anything they'd hate losing to a Canadian team even more than an American one because Canada's record in the sport is not that illustrious.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

good games from a football stand point, but not from a glitz and glamour view.

However, I still would like to not see these games take place right smack dab in mind season just before the final stretch for the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I may be a little euro-snobbish, and am less interested in these teams, but Pachuca is valuable preparation for the CCL, assuming that we win the CC.
    We play pachuca in between to huge games vs Vancouver....I cant see us fielding our best team it would be nuts considering the 2 big canada cup games!!

Whoever sloted these games in such an important month of july...should have there head examined!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Latin America, in general, knows very little about Canada. I think they know as much about us as we know about them. Either way, football is universal and Latin American countries take their football very seriously, so I will give them that.
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geez man, some people really do need to pull their heads out of their arses.

I gotta say Footyfan, desipte your less than warm reception on these boards i quite enjoy your posts and perspective. I agree with you wholeheartedly on this subject. I'd buy you a beer when i'm down in DC this Saturday, but unfortunately you wear the wrong jersey and i view you as the enemy on matchday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giambac View Post
    I'm really disappointed. Not what I wanted or expected.
    I'm selling my tickets.

My 2 tickets in Section 115 have alrteady been sold,
    I have 2 more seats in Section 223 - Dead centre field. If anyone is interested send me a PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by footyfan View Post
    To your average Mexican they won't make the distinction of America vs Canada. If anything they'd hate losing to a Canadian team even more than an American one because Canada's record in the sport is not that illustrious.
    Well a lot of Mexicans actually know that they are different. They just don't really know much about Canada.

Though "gringo" is for Americans, I'm sure the uneducated people would just call any Caucasian that but it's mostly used for Americans. Hell I use the word myself.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    good games from a football stand point, but not from a glitz and glamour view.

However, I still would like to not see these games take place right smack dab in mind season just before the final stretch for the playoffs.
    Then consider these games a test of Toronto's football IQ. If your crowd is REALLY what you say it is, a bunch of knowledgable world football fanticos then you should get a great turnout.

But if it is as some suspect, a crowd of prawn sandwich euro-wannabees then I expect to see a lot of red, and I don't mean jersies.
    Last edited by footyfan; 05-22-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    We play pachuca in between to huge games vs Vancouver....I cant see us fielding our best team it would be nuts considering the 2 big canada cup games!!

Whoever sloted these games in such an important month of july...should have there head examined!

Welcome to MLS. You think if you make SuperLiga next year your schedule gets any easier? At least you only have a few Canada Cup games and friendlies.

Down here we have the SuperLiga AND the Open Cup plus league play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jrtomasino View Post
    Latin America, in general, knows very little about Canada. I think they know as much about us as we know about them. Either way, football is universal and Latin American countries take their football very seriously, so I will give them that.
    Canada is a very low profile country all around the world. Whenever I am in Europe, there is virtually no distinction made between Canadians and Americans amongst the general public. In Italy, we're all "Americani". Same in Spain. The French make some distinction. I make a point of wearing a Canadian flag lapel pin whenever I travel but it hardly makes a dent. I travel to Asia quite a bit too and the only thing they know about Canada is Toronto and Vancouver because they've all got relatives living over here. It's a bit of a generalization but not that much.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Geez man, some people really do need to pull their heads out of their arses.

I gotta say Footyfan, desipte your less than warm reception on these boards i quite enjoy your posts and perspective. I agree with you wholeheartedly on this subject. I'd buy you a beer when i'm down in DC this Saturday, but unfortunately you wear the wrong jersey and i view you as the enemy on matchday.
    No problem, I'd buy you a beer as well, but i'd be sure to piss in it while singing "Oh Canada" first.

Just some good natured supporter ribbing

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VPjr View Post
    Canada is a very low profile country all around the world. Whenever I am in Europe, there is virtually no distinction made between Canadians and Americans amongst the general public. In Italy, we're all "Americani". Same in Spain. The French make some distinction. I make a point of wearing a Canadian flag lapel pin whenever I travel
    Hey so do I! "Thank you Mr. Bush."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My god, all we have is a bunch of cry babies in here. What pisses me off is not the fact that you would rather see a European team over a south american team. Sure, you have your right to who you prefer. It's THE FACT THAT you would say screw watching a TFC game simply because they aren't playing a European team. That's what I call a sad bunch of wanna be supporters. I go watch the TFC Academy games against CSL oponents because I support this team. Bunch of you morons won't go watch very good quality teams in their respective countries. Oh and guess what? Argentina is ranked #1 in the world. THAT'S RIGHT? #1. so get your head out of your European ass and realize that the only reason the EPL is any good is because of the international players that are brought up through the ranks in their respective countries.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its official! No one from Europe wants to come to BMO and play on turf!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneLoveOneEric View Post
    On thestar.ca

Pachuca and Independiente, as suspected.

Pretty disappointing, IMO. Certainly not the showpieces I'd have hoped for.
    Not disappointing..

CONCACAF Club Champs and Independiante Woo!

Very excited for both!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dip stick.

My point was that England did not qualify for the tournament. Hence if you brought over a mid level team from the EPL or a team from the champions league their palyers wouldn't be playing for the national side.

Got It. Do you now understand or do I have to get my 2 year old neighbour to explain it to you?
    Are you aware that only 38% of players in the EPL are english? And the % of them that are marquee players is even less. You're kind of a douche, by the way.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    My god, all we have is a bunch of cry babies in here. What pisses me off is not the fact that you would rather see a European team over a south american team. Sure, you have your right to who you prefer. It's THE FACT THAT you would say screw watching a TFC game simply because they aren't playing a European team. That's what I call a sad bunch of wanna be supporters. I go watch the TFC Academy games against CSL oponents because I support this team. Bunch of you morons won't go watch very good quality teams in their respective countries. Oh and guess what? Argentina is ranked #1 in the world. THAT'S RIGHT? #1. so get your head out of your European ass and realize that the only reason the EPL is any good is because of the international players that are brought up through the ranks in their respective countries.
    QFT.

Woah did I just say that. I guess I'm hanging around these forums too much now that I've used the infamous "QFT".

That said, I would be hyped to see a good African side like Heart of Oaks or Asian side like Urawa Reds. Different styles.
    Last edited by footyfan; 05-22-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joel View Post
    Are you aware that only 38% of players in the EPL are english? And the % of them that are marquee players is even less. You're kind of a douche, by the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada is a very low profile country all around the world. Whenever I am in Europe, there is virtually no distinction made between Canadians and Americans amongst the general public. In Italy, we're all "Americani". Same in Spain. The French make some distinction. I make a point of wearing a Canadian flag lapel pin whenever I travel but it hardly makes a dent. I travel to Asia quite a bit too and the only thing they know about Canada is Toronto and Vancouver because they've all got relatives living over here. It's a bit of a generalization but not that much.
    I don't really agree with that. We're americans to everyone by face and accent (by not being british). As soon as people know you're canadian you get a lot fo respect from people. I wouldn't say canada is low profile at all. A lot of coutries got a lot of help from us in the world wars, and we have a strong international reputation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awesome. Should be good, ideally its rotation on the squad so they arent exhausted. Ideally friendlies are at the start or end of the season. Great selection anyways! Excited to see what these other teams bring, dunno either of them at all (cept what little ive seen on the tele).

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back afew weeks ago at the reserve game MO told afew of us that it was these teams coming.

But sure enough some of the KNOW IT ALL people on this site did not believe us.

OLD news.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I've been told by Mexicans Gringo is reserved for Americans not all caucasians. I thought that kind of interesting...but friendlies will start being less attractive if they don't sellout...
    Not what I've been told. Pretty much anyone "north" is a gringo. Although if you tell them you're Canadian they won't "insult" you anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really agree with that. We're americans to everyone by face and accent (by not being british). As soon as people know you're canadian you get a lot fo respect from people. I wouldn't say canada is low profile at all. A lot of coutries got a lot of help from us in the world wars, and we have a strong international reputation.
    There's a new book out called The Truth About Canada that says a lot of the way we view our country has changed in the last twenty years - and not for the better.

Oh well, makes us like everybody else, right

These friendlies will be just that for us now, friendlies, with really nothing on the line. Much better than when we're always trying to prove ourselves in meaningless games. They should be fun.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*has never seen these two teams play*

*calls these two teams small*

*makes wild assumptions based on nothing*

i'm participating in this thread too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post

That's my only thing. Why both in July? July is going to be packed! Guess this will be the true test of Winsper's training...

Man I wish I was here in July. Grr...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FluSH will be happy to take ALL of your tickets for these games.... I MEAN ALL

If anyone does not want to go... Feel Free to make a donation to yours truly! =P
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really disappointed. Not what I wanted or expected.
    I'm selling my tickets.

My 2 tickets in Section 115 have alrteady been sold,
    I have 2 more seats in Section 223 - Dead centre field. If anyone is interested send me a PM.

theres a real TFC fan for you!!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christ why worry aabout what Italians and french think of us. Christ one supported the Nazis and one didn't put up a fight against them, their personal characteristics suck at the best of times. Canada is the most friendly nation of the 3 North american countries. Pachuca will be a big test for us...the Argentine team as well, we don't need the Benficas coming back to play a 0-0 draw we can bring in any Italian team for that.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ass wipe, keep it clean

I'm kind of a douche. I'll settle for that. You are a Douche.

If you bring a mid level team from the ePL or champions league the majority are in fact English.. The top Internationals paly for the ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool. Doesn't aren't the teams I'm talKing about