Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoubtguy View Post
    Whats obscure about the 3rd most successful team in Argentina After River and Boca?? or are they obscure teams too??
    I would say obscure to the average football fan in Canada. I would argue most fans here follow the main Euro Leagues.

Nothing against Independiente, I am a Dinamo Zagreb supporter but I would also consider them somewhat obscure to Canadian Footie fans even though they would wipe the floor with any team in the MLS (prior to the exodus of their stars over last months).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    Dont get me wrong...the thing that attracts me most about these games....i want to see how we match up vs our regions top clubs!
    Well these are some of the best clubs in the South America and from the Mexican League. Consider Pachuca a test of the CONCACAF Champions League. After they did make it to the finals (not sure if they won though)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People who are unhappy with these games need a kick in the ass.

Great teams and exactly the kind of teams we should be playing.

Theyre both better than West Ham anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giambac View Post
    Remember,

Engalnd didn't qualify for this prestigous tournament!

Several teams from the EPL or champions league could have been avaialble.
    please name a few of these teams you mention?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember,

What does the English National side have to do with EPL clubs?? Lots of players would still be missing from the EPL clubs....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does the English National side have to do with EPL clubs?? Lots of players would still be missing from the EPL clubs....

he's on the pipe again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boschmeister View Post
    I would say obscure to the average football fan in Canada. I would argue most fans here follow the main Euro Leagues.

Nothing against Independiente, I am a Dinamo Zagreb supporter but I would also consider them somewhat obscure to Canadian Footie fans even though they would wipe the floor with any team in the MLS (prior to the exodus of their stars over last months).
    You think that too many "Canadian footie fans" know much about Blackburn, Portsmouth, Man City, Middlesbrough, Wigan, Sunderland, or Bolton?? all placed between 7-16 in the EPL.....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he's on the pipe again!
    Dip stick.

Th ecomment was made that it was better to have Mexican and Soth Americn team come becuse of The 2008 Euro's in June. The argument that was made was that if a European club team came (say AC Milan, Porto, Bayern Munich etc), there was a risk that several of the players would not be able to make it because they would be playing for their national teams Italy, Portugal, Germany, Spain etc.

My point was that England did not qualify for the tournament. Hence if you brought over a mid level team from the EPL or a team from the champions league their palyers wouldn't be playing for the national side.

Got It. Do you now understand or do I have to get my 2 year old neighbour to explain it to you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You think that too many "Canadian footie fans" know much about Blackburn, Portsmouth, Man City, Middlesbrough, Wigan, Sunderland, or Bolton?? all placed between 7-16 in the EPL.....
    I would like to think so since their games are televised on Sportsnet/The Score (standard cable) on the weekends. I know they show South American games on GOL TV but their scores and highlites don't get any air time on the Score or Sportsnet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who cares what the general public thinks or knows? We have heard of these teams, I would rather see CONCACAF champions Pachuca then Sunderland or Blackburn.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dip stick.

Th ecomment was made that it was better to have Mexican and Soth Americn team come becuse of The 2008 Euro's in June. The argument that was made was that if a European club team came (say AC Milan, Porto, Bayern Munich etc), there was a risk that several of the players would not be able to make it because they would be playing for their national teams Italy, Portugal, Germany, Spain etc.

My point was that England did not qualify for the tournament. Hence if you brought over a mid level team from the EPL or a team from the champions league their palyers wouldn't be playing for the national side.

Got It. Do you now understand or do I have to get my 2 year old neighbour to explain it to you?
    what team would you consider from the Champions Leauge?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneLoveOneEric View Post
    I don't think the CC makes a difference. If we play Pachuca in that comp, then we play them. If we play them in a friendly and get shelled, do we not have to play them in the CC? Or if we win, do we get a bye? Nope, so it really doesn't matter if we play them now. Carver can watch tape if we have to play them for real later.
    What he means is, that by playing Pachuca in a FRIENDLY, it gives your squad REAL WORLD experience playing them before it might count in the CONCACAF Champions League assuming you win the Canada Cup.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
    I think this is great. We need to pull ourselves out of the European mentality and hopefully this is a start. These are two of South America's bigger teams and good on TFC for bringing them in and showing us what to aspire to.

Exactly. Suppose TFC becomes some sort of North American Power...

You're more than likely to be facing teams like Pachuca and Independiente in the CONCACAF Champions League, SuperLiga, Copa Sudamericana and perhaps even the Copa Libertadores than you will be to face Real Madrid in the Club World Cup.

European clubs hardly ever bring their a-squads and a-game when they come over, so who cares if you beat a disinterested Euro team over here who cares more about the shopping than the result in a friendly? DC has done it countless times and it still means nothing.

Much better to play against your future opponents so Carver et. al know how to change and adapt their playing style for regional international play.

MLS league play is quite different from the style of the Mexican league, CONCACAF and South America and at least teams from Mexico and South America take friendlies seriously as there is pride on the line and no one wants to lose to the "gringos".
    Last edited by footyfan; 05-22-2008 at 03:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
    I think this is great. We need to pull ourselves out of the European mentality and hopefully this is a start. These are two of South America's bigger teams and good on TFC for bringing them in and showing us what to aspire to.
    Agree 100%

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what team would you consider from the Champions Leauge?

Of Course it would have to be he South Carlina Battery

Wake up.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surely your not saying that these teams are better then mid table european sides?
    Pachuca is. Not sure about Independiente.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boschmeister View Post

That's a problem, you need more Mexican immigrants then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember,

last time I looked, the prestige EPL sides don't even feature englishmen so there goes that argument.

These are 2 teams that I personally can't wait to see them live. Pachuca is a perennial powerhouse (not so much this clausura but every team is entitled to a slightly off year). Independiente is consistently developing excellent players, including Aguerro, but their finances force them to sell too many of them to give them a chance to compete for a title but nonetheless, they are one of the 4 BIG clubs of Argentina.

Anyone who thinks these 2 teams would not survive most European leagues is out of their mind. The only two leagues that these teams might struggle in is La Liga and possibly EPL (I'd argue that Fulham, Sunderland or Wigan would have gone down if they had to compete with the 2007 edition of Pachuca).

Howeve, I agree that mid-season friendlies, played at the hottest time of the season, are stupid, I'm far more interested in league play and the Canada Cup. But, if you have to play them, I'd rather see Pachuca over Aston Villa and I'd much rather see Independiente than West Ham. There are only 4 (maybe 5) EPL sides I'd pay to see and none of them are come to wee little BMO field anytime soon. Once we get a 40,000 seater, then maybe we'll see them.
    Last edited by VPjr; 05-22-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: spelling error

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SO we're playing the oldest professional team in Mexican history and the world renown Independiente from Argentina (though I admit their fortunes of late haven't been great). How are these not high-profile clubs in the soccer world? While I admit most Canadian fans generally follow the EPL almost exclusively, I'd think most others would be fairly impressed by the two friendlies we'll be facing.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 05-22-2008 at 03:20 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not going to friendlies that have CONCACAF teams in them. Not interested in Independiante either but enjoy.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will probably get lambasted, but a Mexican (not South American) and an Argentine (South American) is not what I was hoping for the friendlies. Call me a Euro-snob but I wanted to see somebody from across the pond!
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am looking forward to seeing Pachuca. I have seen 3 of their games this year on FSC and they are an exciting team to watch. I must admit I know very little of Independiente but by all accounts I hear they are a good ticket also.

With the sched being as jammed as it is though in July I wouldn't expect many of our starters out there. Am I the only one who thinks that instead of these friendlies that the CCL tickets should have been included instead? Maybe it was a timing thing as the announcement came out later... maybe next time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm happy about this.

i hate the epl and i'm sure a lot of people will enjoy Independiente and Pachuca.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may be a little euro-snobbish, and am less interested in these teams, but Pachuca is valuable preparation for the CCL, assuming that we win the CC.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jrtomasino View Post
    I will probably get lambasted, but a Mexican (not South American) and an Argentine (South American) is not what I was hoping for the friendlies. Call me a Euro-snob but I wanted to see somebody from across the pond!
    euro-snob.

you told me to call you that so I did.

All I can say to you guys who would have prefered European clubs as friendly opponents is come to these 2 games and give it a chance. People are always skeptical about stuff they don't know. If you have the season's tickets already, use them and expand your horizons a little. you might be pleasantly surprised.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by footyfan View Post

MLS league play is quite different from the style of the Mexican league, CONCACAF and South America and at least teams from Mexico and South America take friendlies seriously as there is pride on the line and no one wants to lose to the "gringos".
    I don't think Latin America considers us "gringos" ... that's reserved for our friends south of the 49th!
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am happy about this as well.

Your all entitled to your opinion, but its a piss-off when people think that if its not Euro, its not good. Independiente is a great team and play exciting football. Pachuca we can potentially see in CL, so why not play them?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been told by Mexicans Gringo is reserved for Americans not all caucasians. I thought that kind of interesting...but friendlies will start being less attractive if they don't sellout...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will give them a chance, a footie game is a footie game!
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    Well these are some of the best clubs in the South America and from the Mexican League. Consider Pachuca a test of the CONCACAF Champions League. After they did make it to the finals (not sure if they won though)

Pachuca is the back to back CONCACAF Champions Cup champion. They won in 2007 and 2008 and will represent our region at the FIFA Club World Cup.