Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default If only MLSE treated us so well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_Stadium

"The Philadelphia MLS team's ownership group, Keystone Sports & Entertainment LLC, designed a specific entrance of Chester Stadium for the Sons of Ben fan club in recognition of their loyalty. The entrance will lead into the SoB's 2,000-seat section."

Lets not even get into the 115 million dollar construction budget or the grass playing surface.

As for MLSE.. well its kind of like giving your heart to a girl and having her father spit in your face.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_Stadium

"The Philadelphia MLS team's ownership group, Keystone Sports & Entertainment LLC, designed a specific entrance of Chester Stadium for the Sons of Ben fan club in recognition of their loyalty. The entrance will lead into the SoB's 2,000-seat section."

Lets not even get into the 115 million dollar construction budget or the grass playing surface.

As for MLSE.. well its kind of like giving your heart to a girl and having her father spit in your face.

SOB was around before Philly got an MLS team, so its not suprising to see the ownership group catering the stadium to the supporter group, while TFC had the stadium/team before the supporters came

This being said... MLSE can do more for supporters still....
    c'mon you Reds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh god, stop whining

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

although looks like the design is a little different now?

http://www.mlsphilly2010.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfc View Post
    oh god, stop whining
    Who's whining? I'm just pointing out facts.
    Don't get me wrong the pub crawls are a nice touch but its the players themselves who are investing something to give back to the fans. Thier time.
    What has ownership given to improve fan relations/comfort? Aside from a meager invest in Bitchy and special "attention" from security.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's probably to make up for the supporters having to live in the philadelphia area (aka the armpit of america)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay P View Post
    SOB was around before Philly got an MLS team, so its not suprising to see the ownership group catering the stadium to the supporter group, while TFC had the stadium/team before the supporters came

This being said... MLSE can do more for supporters still....
    there was tfc supporter around before but I think mlse did not know just how much supporter they had before the staduim was made and mlse does not own the place the city does

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damiiano View Post
    It's probably to make up for the supporters having to live in the philadelphia area (aka the armpit of america)
    no that is columbus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gmacpheetfc View Post
    although looks like the design is a little different now?

http://www.mlsphilly2010.com/
    the plans can still change again they do not start to in till dec the 1st

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

see sig

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stop feeding my jealousy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*sigh*
    Never will I understand why the majority of people are so gladly willing to accept the short end of the stick in this country.
    Wither its big business or government.
    Is it fear of change or just plain laziness?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*sigh*
    Never will I understand why the majority of people are so gladly willing to accept the short end of the stick in this country.
    I'm always amazed at the righteous sense of entitlement that some TFC fans have. I'm always amazed at how TFC fans look around the league like a spoiled child demanding to have everything everyone else has just because they've supported the team for a whole 2 years.

Have some perspective please.

As people have mentioned, the historical situation of TFC's birth is NOTHING like the situation in Philly.
    If you had built a 1000 member supporters group BEFORE TFC even got a team, and then you were able to influence the design of BMO field while the architects were designing it, then maybe you could have had your wish. That's the situation Philly fans are in. It has nothing to with their ownership being better than MLSE. It's different circumstances completely.

Philly's stadium is not being funded by the government. And they have a group pressuring them during the design phase for this stuff. TFC didn't have the opportunity to do this.
    Last edited by rocker; 11-28-2008 at 12:22 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I'm always amazed at the righteous sense of entitlement that some TFC fans have. I'm always amazed at how TFC fans look around the league like a spoiled child demanding to have everything everyone else has just because they've supported the team for a whole 2 years.
    we get both sides of the coin. there's very few centrists on that topic.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    we get both sides of the coin. there's very few centrists on that topic.
    that's why I said "some TFC fans".

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep. and they're everywhere!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completely agreed, but it isn't limited to things TFC related. People in general seem to think they're entitled to everything they want just because someone else has it. It's really quite shocking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Philly's stadium is not being funded by the government.
    Oh? You didn't take the time to read the link in my original post did you?

"The project has received a commitment of $30 million from Delaware County and $47 million from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania."

It would seem MLSE has brokered a deal which they gave up much of their own input into design of BMO field in exchange for them not having to dig to far into their own pockets. Shrew business yes, but in hindsight its handcuffed them from making changes which could benifit both the team and the fans.
    More importantly... city ownership has given them a great excuse to do nothing. An excuse which many of you seem quite willing to accept.
    Last edited by Stryker; 11-28-2008 at 12:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Philly's supporters may have it great, but I'm not about to be jealous of them. We've heard horror stories of how supporters have been treated by other MLS teams - Colorado ring a bell? The league as a whole has not been very receptive to supporters' groups. TFC management has done a much better job of embracing us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I come for the off-season discussion. I stay for all the bitching.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I come for the off-season discussion. I stay for all the bitching.

oh yeah...? well as much as I agree with you, your opinions are totally wrong.

oh off-season...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*sigh*
    We take a cautious approach... it's why all our banks haven't gone bankrupt.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SOBs - just another enemy / Victim

TORONTO TILL I DIE
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh? You didn't take the time to read the link in my original post did you?

"The project has received a commitment of $30 million from Delaware County and $47 million from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania."

It would seem MLSE has brokered a deal which they gave up much of their own input into design of BMO field in exchange for them not having to dig to far into their own pockets. Shrew business yes, but in hindsight its handcuffed them from making changes which could benifit both the team and the fans.
    More importantly... city ownership has given them a great excuse to do nothing. An excuse which many of you seem quite willing to accept.
    Giving the City the ownership stake in BMO, was the reason why they were able to build on prime, expensive, downtown, government-owned land - not in the middle of nowhere.

While our stadium might not be the best in the league, I wouldn't trade it for something better, if it meant losing the location. Teams like Philly, and New York, are forced to build their stadiums outside city limits. We can access ours from a streetcar.

I'm with rocker on this one. Many TFC fans spend way too much time looking around the league, and seeing what some of the new clubs are getting - then demanding it here. The fact that we are one of the more vibrant fanbases in the league, does not entitle us to anything.

MLSE were right to be cautious in their initial investment in TFC. While they might regret it a bit, now that the bricks have been laid - I have no doubt we will be seeing upgrades to BMO sooner than later.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE didn't build the stadium…

Why do people continue crapping on them for not having grass, or a roof or a "grand" entrance for the supporters? They didn't build it!
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    MLSE didn't build the stadium…

Why do people continue crapping on them for not having grass, or a roof or a "grand" entrance for the supporters? They didn't build it!
    because they are the only people who could pressure the city to make that happen. No sunday beer league guys are going to be petitioning the city for improvements. The people playing 'ultimate frisbee' aren't a major corporation.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thankfully I can honestly say that the OP is a user of this board and does not reflect the sentiments of the Red Patch Boys and its members. Let's make that clear.

Otherwise, he can have any opinion he wants. I personally think he's off-base, but then again that is my opinion isn't it? Some people are never happy I suppose. They always covet what others have and are never happy with what they have.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 11-28-2008 at 02:36 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you know what would make BMO perfect?

Monkey Waiters or Frog Butlers

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we are treated pretty well when you compare it to other North American Sports teams. TFC actually meets with the Supporter groups periodically, which is something that would NEVER happen with most of the other teams on the continent. Can you imagine fans meeting with the Leafs or an NFL team? There may be cases where this has happened, but I would think its few and far between. Could there be some improvement? Sure but there is always room for that.