Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Montreal "drops" MLS bid

http://www.mlsrumors.net/

It was said during Don Garber's State of the League address tonight.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I was so looking forward to this rivalry!!!

Guess we have to settle for the Canadian Championship... but man! This news stinks!

Last edited by flatpicker; 11-21-2008 at 08:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

holy shit.

i was hoping they'd get in so we could beat them more.

i know some people are talking up the USL, but i still think in the longterm the MLS will be the #1 league, all the good USL teams will leave to MLS, and Montreal will be stuck.
    Sure, they are doing well in the Champions League, but they ain't gonna do that every season.
    Last edited by rocker; 11-21-2008 at 08:48 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something is terribly wrong here when Montreal drops out of the running yet Miami is considered by some so called experts the front runner. Oh well, I'm sure the America first soccer crowd, who don't want TFC or any other Canadian cities in "their league", will be popping the champagne corks in celebration tonight.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, brutal.
    Thats totally ridiculous and unfortunate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure Montreal's decision had something to do with the fact that USL may, in three or five years, have more credibility and support than MLS, unless our league makes some changes to how their scheduling, roster and cap structure works.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its gonna be two US teams for sure.
    Maybe Vancouver later on.
    Brutal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well Vancouver's chances just went up. Maybe they'd be the perfect buddy for Seattle, while giving TFC a Canadian friend.
    I still think Ottawa has little chance.. but could you imagine if MLS decided the third Canadian team in the league would be Ottawa?? hahah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'm sure Montreal's decision had something to do with the fact that USL may, in three or five years, have more credibility and support than MLS, .
    I don't see how that would happen. Even with MLS's problems, the USL is still not as popular. The USL just lost a team (Atlanta) and could potentially lose Vancouver and Portland and Miami... the attendance levels for the USL right now are weak compared to MLS (except for Montreal). If the USL goes from 5000 per game average to MLS's 15000 in three or four years I'd be shocked.

maybe Montreal wants to be a big fish in a little pond.
    Last edited by rocker; 11-21-2008 at 09:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I TOTALLY SAW THAT COMING!

I'm proud, I want a cookie!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mtl might regret this, when TFC gets its act together and be the one to get into CCL.

I think Mtl might be thinking with their success of CCL they don't need MLS, but that's just short term talking.

Of course, Garber might be giving Mtl a hardtime for whatever reason...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Mtl might regret this, when TFC gets its act together and be the one to get into CCL.

I think Mtl might be thinking with their success of CCL they don't need MLS, but that's just short term talking.

Of course, Garber might be giving Mtl a hardtime for whatever reason...
    its that coupled with Gillettes financial probs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh well. If Montreal and Vancouver joins MLS we'd get to play them twice a year. If Montreal doesn't join MLS we get to play them twice a year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver is totally getting in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure Montreal's decision had something to do with the fact that USL may, in three or five years, have more credibility and support than MLS, unless our league makes some changes to how their scheduling, roster and cap structure works.
    These things seem so easy to fix, though. How will the USL compete with a league that has teams in NY, LA, Chicago, DC, Dallas - all the big markets? I understand Rochester is great place to see a soccer game, but really?

I'm sure Montreal's decision had something to do with forty million bucks - MLS may be worth that someday, but it sure isn't now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW! I mean WOW!!!... If true.

I was really hoping to go to "la belle provence" on a regular basis. Je devrais depenser mon argent quleque part d'autre.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    I think that this is the real reason. He's got a big problem with Liverpool right now, he doesn't need more grief...
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    These things seem so easy to fix, though. How will the USL compete with a league that has teams in NY, LA, Chicago, DC, Dallas - all the big markets? I understand Rochester is great place to see a soccer game, but really?

I'm sure Montreal's decision had something to do with forty million bucks - MLS may be worth that someday, but it sure isn't now.
    By A) Beating the bigger league for a couple of years, to gain notoriety and then b) following numerous other pro sports in north American (including both the NFL and NBA) and starting a competing league in the same cities.

Why should Montreal give MLS $40 million if it expects to be playing USL teams, with a couple of years of winning tradition, in New York, LA and Chicago?

After all, without charging the ridiculous franchise fee that MLS is charging, they can attract initial investors whose money can go into small-but-profitable SSS's of their own (which do great rental business, when they're not being used by pro teams.)

Yep, I'd bet within five years you'll see USL expand and try to take MLS on aggressively. It makes sense; from an Economic, structural and competitive standpoint, their league is more sensibly run. It just didn't have the upfront glitz of the world cup association and the big corporate money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By A) Beating the bigger league for a couple of years, to gain notoriety and then b) following numerous other pro sports in north American (including both the NFL and NBA) and starting a competing league in the same cities.

Why should Montreal give MLS $40 million if it expects to be playing USL teams, with a couple of years of winning tradition, in New York, LA and Chicago?

After all, without charging the ridiculous franchise fee that MLS is charging, they can attract initial investors whose money can go into small-but-profitable SSS's of their own (which do great rental business, when they're not being used by pro teams.)

Yep, I'd bet within five years you'll see USL expand and try to take MLS on aggressively. It makes sense; from an Economic, structural and competitive standpoint, their league is more sensibly run. It just didn't have the upfront glitz of the world cup association and the big corporate money.
    I hope you're right about USL taking on MLS aggressively - it would be rough for a while but it could work out great. In fact, the NFL, NBA, NHL and Major League Baseball are all the result of competing leagues that merged. It's a North American tradition!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HAHAHA
    Wouldnt hate on it (provided it turns out the way i picture it in my head)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Saputo was the one fronting the bid. He's among the richest men in Canada. He could have gone this alone, if he wanted to. I suspect something else is at play here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jloome, your theory would work accept for one big issue. The best USL markets are being absorbed by MLS: Seattle gone, Vancouver and Portland will be gone....how many teams are going to be in the USL in 5 years? Altanta folded. If Miami gets in their USL team will be gone. Its getting pretty grime for the USL. What makes this worse is that MLS was suppose to promote soccer not destroy it in the US.

I_AM_CANADIAN

Ignoring jloome's comment once again, that totally sucks. I have heard that Gillette is trying to sell Liverpool though, so this was inevitable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    Saputo was the one fronting the bid. He's among the richest men in Canada. He could have gone this alone, if he wanted to. I suspect something else is at play here.

absolutely, he could have carried it himself if he had so chosen, so it makes things even more interesting...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe montreal is fast tracked and takes Philly's spot ? therefore no need for a expansion bid.there was a rumour of this happening.
    Last edited by GeorgeB; 11-21-2008 at 10:17 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'll be interesting to watch soccercentral tomorrow to hear what Gerry and Craig have to say about this. Both were pimping the Montreal bid saying it was a shoo-in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DigzTFC! View Post
    Jloome, your theory would work accept for one big issue. The best USL markets are being absorbed by MLS: Seattle gone, Vancouver and Portland will be gone....how many teams are going to be in the USL in 5 years? Altanta folded. If Miami gets in their USL team will be gone. Its getting pretty grime for the USL. What makes this worse is that MLS was suppose to promote soccer not destroy it in the US.
    Yeah, they are right now. But USL has been around for decades in one form or another; they're not going to sweat losing a club in Seattle now if they're looking to compete three to five years down the road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USL are adding the Austin Astex next year and the Tampa Bay Rowdies the year after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by I_AM_CANADIAN View Post
    Ignoring jloome's comment once again, that totally sucks. I have heard that Gillette is trying to sell Liverpool though, so this was inevitable.
    How on earth does Gillette selling out -- under extreme duress from the fans -- in Liverpool equate to him not investing in soccer here?

There might be an economic argument, as the debt level at Liverpool is considerable; but between's Saputo's considerable financial muscle and Gillette's own wealth, MLS would be an easy investment for them.

So grab a fucking point before you criticize other people's posts, okay dim-wit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

boo!

i wanted those frenchies to come here more often with their garbage bag banners.