Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kenny Cooper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, I couldn't disagree more. Your expectations aside, the only people who have suggested we would be getting a "world IX" type player have been on chat boards, not n TFC's dressing room. Carver has said he needs a quality player who can score, and Mo has promised a DP.

But there's nothing -- nothing -- to suggest a DP has to be a former world-class player. In fact, I'm utterly missing the logic of why you would choose a former world-class player who's likely to score 15-20 goals....over a 24-year-old Kenny Cooper, who's likely to score 15-20 goals.

Not only is Cooper likely going to cost the team less in above-the-cap allocation, he would possibly be here for five years or more, and if we did get his rights, would eventually reap his substantial Euro transfer fee. Cardiff just offered $3.5M for him and was turned down; do you really think anyone's going to cough up that kind of transfer fee on the relative risk of an aging star, no matter how talented they are?

Similarly, Fernando Morientes would be an insanely good DP to get. He's a top European target striker whose strength is finishing well with both his head and feet (which would make him the perfect foil and teacher for Barrett.) He has led the champions league in scoring and scored nearly 75 goals for Real Madrid. What more could you want? Hell, I'm not sure there'd be much difference between Morientes or Crespo playing at this level anyway; either one would tear MLS a new one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would take Cooper as my DP in a fucking heartbeat. I think he will eventually blossom into a fully world-class player. He's fast, big, has quick feet, a good shot, and a good football brain.

Dallas wanted experience, so they got Denilson. He was shit. Then they got Davino, and he was shit.

DC wanted experience so they got Gallardo, who's had moments of brilliance, and days of shit.

Kansas wanted experience so they got Lopez, who has been a disappointment for the most part.

Why not pick a guy who has a consistent record of doing well in this league, who is young, and has a very bright future in Kenny Cooper?

I have a question... Would you be happy to take Hernan Crespo and have him score lets say 15 goals in a season? I just want an honest answer as to whether you think that would be acceptable or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Dude, I couldn't disagree more. Your expectations aside, the only people who have suggested we would be getting a "world IX" type player have been on chat boards, not n TFC's dressing room. Carver has said he needs a quality player who can score, and Mo has promised a DP.

But there's nothing -- nothing -- to suggest a DP has to be a former world-class player. In fact, I'm utterly missing the logic of why you would choose a former world-class player who's likely to score 15-20 goals....over a 24-year-old Kenny Cooper, who's likely to score 15-20 goals.

Not only is Cooper likely going to cost the team less in above-the-cap allocation, he would possibly be here for five years or more, and if we did get his rights, would eventually reap his substantial Euro transfer fee. Cardiff just offered $3.5M for him and was turned down; do you really think anyone's going to cough up that kind of transfer fee on the relative risk of an aging star, no matter how talented they are?

Similarly, Fernando Morientes would be an insanely good DP to get. He's a top European target striker whose strength is finishing well with both his head and feet (which would make him the perfect foil and teacher for Barrett.) He has led the champions league in scoring and scored nearly 75 goals for Real Madrid. What more could you want? Hell, I'm not sure there'd be much difference between Morientes or Crespo playing at this level anyway; either one would tear MLS a new one.

Couldn't agree more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Check out Canadian_Bhoy's interview with mlsintoronto on the second deck of BMO last season...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC OZZ View Post
    I have a question... Would you be happy to take Hernan Crespo and have him score lets say 15 goals in a season? I just want an honest answer as to whether you think that would be acceptable or not.
    No I wouldn't be happy with 15 goals a season from Crespo. But, I don't think Crespo would score 15 goals a season. I'd say more like 20-25 a season at the very least!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Either way, it's clear we're not going to agree on this. I can see where everyone is coming from and understand why many would take Cooper as a DP. However, I disgaree and will never be convinced with Cooper as a designated player. So my time in this thread has come to an end.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
    Either way, it's clear we're not going to agree on this. I can see where everyone is coming from and understand why many would take Cooper as a DP. However, I disgaree and will never be convinced with Cooper as a designated player. So my time in this thread has come to an end.
    Until he puts in 15-20 goals for TFC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kenny Cooper stinks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kenny "Goal" isnt World Xi.... World Xi is someone who can still play on a top class team and not look out of place, or shine on a mid tear team in a top league (say, Ashton or Owen when they are healthy).

Cooper is a good player in the MLS, but he would be Coca-Cola Champions League material at best imo.

As for a DP, I wouldnt take him no... I would take him as a highly paid player (say in the Robert-Guevara range).. but not more then that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fiin View Post
    Kenny "Goal" isnt World Xi.... World Xi is someone who can still play on a top class team and not look out of place, or shine on a mid tear team in a top league (say, Ashton or Owen when they are healthy).

Cooper is a good player in the MLS, but he would be Coca-Cola Champions League material at best imo.

As for a DP, I wouldnt take him no... I would take him as a highly paid player (say in the Robert-Guevara range).. but not more then that.
    Because you think TFC will somehow get someone who'd be able to play in an EPL, Serie A or la Liga team?

Even some DPs like Lopez, Gallardo, Schelotto wouldn't make it on bottom placed top tier teams right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Because you think TFC will somehow get someone who'd be able to play in an EPL, Serie A or la Liga team?

Even some DPs like Lopez, Gallardo, Schelotto wouldn't make it on bottom placed top tier teams right now.
    And some others like Beckham.. Angel.. would make it in... why should we settle for mediocrity? I know its the Toronto sportsfans way.. but come on..

And hey, I didnt promise you a World Xi player... Mo did, so dont harp me about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

You seriously think any of those 3 are World Xi players your standards are pretty low mate.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think World XI translates into wins.

Need someone who wants to play in a league that needs either highly technical skills or physical skills mixed with strong work ethic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fiin View Post
    And some others like Beckham.. Angel.. would make it in... why should we settle for mediocrity? I know its the Toronto sportsfans way.. but come on..
    How is bringing in a 15-20 goal per season striker settling for mediocrity? I care about results on the pitch, not the name on the jersey.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    How is bringing in a 15-20 goal per season striker settling for mediocrity? I care about results on the pitch, not the name on the jersey.
    exactly too many people focused on the name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt don't bother man. This discussion is going nowhere...But I fully agree with everything you said Fiin.