Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenny Cooper

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Kenny Cooper

Rumours are that FC Dallas will be looking to move Cooper. Word is he wants out of Dallas and is eying Europe, but another season in MLS is not out of the question. Perhaps he could stay for DP type money.

Would anyone else out there consider picking this guy up?

I'd trade two first round picks for this proven scorer and I would pay him DP money until 2010. Cooper and Barrett would tear up the league. Cooper would create a lot of space and Barrett would thrive. Guevara would get more time on the ball and I think rack up assists setting up Cooper and Barrett.

It is not a sexy choice of some foreign international, but the guy can play in the league, he is a proven commodity, is not ancient, not injury prone and has years of scoring left in him. He would to hold up the ball for Guevara but can also finish. If we improved our wing play and with Guevara and Barrett supporting him, he could win a Golden Boot.

Heck, if we took our current starting XI and added Cooper I say we make the playoffs and win a round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've hated cooper since the beginning for a reason. Hes really good and doesnt play for TFC. I think he would be a very good first DP for TFC

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'd bet dallas would want an arm and a leg for cooper. 2 first rounders will not cut it.

probably would have to throw in guevara and wynne plus draft picks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

allocation money?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunno how we would sign him but id take him as a DP in a second and think he'd be really really effective

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man what a player.

I think the whole single entity system is structured to discourage guys from moving around to increase salaries, especially for home grown talent. It does happen (Gomez to Colorado) but the fundamental idea is that, when the player is worth more, MLS sells him on.

Can't see anything like this for a younger player, as it would lead to rapid salary inflation for younger home-grown stars.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    i'd bet dallas would want an arm and a leg for cooper. 2 first rounders will not cut it.

As much as Cooper is a fantastic player, that would be way too much, IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

If he wants out then Dallas would not be in such a great position. Yeah, I'd pay DP money for Cooper; He's as good or better than some of the other candidates we've floated on this board.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd take him but he should go to Europe.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he scored that penalty which basically put us out the play offs

I'd take him, but I wouldn't give up any of our players for him because he'll probably want out soon and then we're worse off. We need to add to the squad, not dismantle it.

Having said that, Guevara out and DeRo and Cooper in could be interesting...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think he'd be a great signing for us but thats not saying i think it would happen. He will most likely go to europe, there has already been interest coming from england but Dallas blocked the move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooper is a solid striker. He was apart of the Manchester United reserves for 3 years but didn't really get much time, even when he was out on loan. At 24 he's only going to get better and he's already one of the best strikers in the league. If we could keep him from going to Europe for a few years he would be well worth whatever we could exchange for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been saying for a long time that we have to sign Cooper. Even if we get him for a season, I believe that we could sell him and make a profit, especially because of Mo's connections in the UK.

I think he's a wonderfully magnificent player, great work ethic, and from all reports a good player to play with. I would be willing to part with 2 first rounders, and a major allocation/Ibrahim for him; as well as pay him DP money. I think that's more than a fair deal if he wants out of dallas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't take Mo to sell Cooper to the UK, they already know what he can and can't do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    Cooper is a solid striker. He was apart of the Manchester United reserves for 3 years but didn't really get much time, even when he was out on loan. At 24 he's only going to get better and he's already one of the best strikers in the league. If we could keep him from going to Europe for a few years he would be well worth whatever we could exchange for him.
    Agreed.......except I would be careful how much we gave away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC OZZ View Post
    I have been saying for a long time that we have to sign Cooper. Even if we get him for a season, I believe that we could sell him and make a profit, especially because of Mo's connections in the UK.

I think he's a wonderfully magnificent player, great work ethic, and from all reports a good player to play with. I would be willing to part with 2 first rounders, and a major allocation/Ibrahim for him; as well as pay him DP money. I think that's more than a fair deal if he wants out of dallas.
    woah woah woah.... Ibby? not. Allocation money, sure, but ibby's got way too good a future comming to trade him off for one really good player for a single season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooper is one of the few MLS players whose quality I realy like. I would be excited about this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GhostPK View Post
    woah woah woah.... Ibby? not. Allocation money, sure, but ibby's got way too good a future comming to trade him off for one really good player for a single season.
    Ibby asked to be traded FROM Dallas to be closer to his family. That would just be back to square 1 for Ibby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't settle for Cooper for our DP. We were promised a world class DP!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EastYork View Post
    He may not be world class, but its hard to argue with his MLS numbers. Throw him up front with barrett and geuvara.... top notch attacking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Blue View Post
    Agreed.......except I would be careful how much we gave away
    Oh for sure, I'm just saying that basically anyone on our team is expendable and for a player of Cooper's calibre, I wouldn't be opposed to almost any trade within reason.

Quote Originally Posted by EastYork View Post
    The guy is 24, he played for Man United reserves, he scored 11 goals in his first MLS season, 18 last season. Much like Barrett, he has the potential to be better than he is except Cooper is lightyears ahead of Barrett in terms of skill and knowledge of the game.

I can't see him staying in the MLS much longer than 2 years to be honest.

Would I break the bank for Cooper as a DP? Depends really on what we would have to give up to get him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also i gotta say i like the idea of having a North American DP, obviously a canadian one wouldbe amazing but prob not possible at this time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ It keeps your options open on the International front that's for sure. Also, I bet MLSE would love to only pay a small amount to a DP compared to $1M+ for a DP from abroad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

especially at that age with that much success/promise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. A DP salary would keep him in the MLS for at least a few years anyway. I'm positive by the time Cooper hits 27, he'll be in Europe.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to have Cooper, but I don't know whether he would be the best candidate for our DP. Now I'm just guessing here, but we will most likely be able to acquire someone of Coooper's calibre from overseas without giving up anything. In order to add Cooper to our team, we will be forced to part with far too much. Basically, we can either add a Cooper-like player without giving up anything, or add Cooper himself and give up a hell of a lot. I would personally pick that scenario where we give up nothing.

However, this is all assuming that we can bring in an 18 goal scorer from overseas, which I believe we can.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunno that we can find one at his age that can do what he does from Europe at a reasonable price to come play in Toronto in the MLS.
    Hopefully im wrong.
    I dont think we will be signing cooper anyways (which is unfortunate) but he would be a great signing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't think there's much of a chance will you find a player for the same salary, same age and skill set that will come over from Europe IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Agree 100%, he has real quality, there are many lower level first division teams in Europe in wich Cooper would see serious playing time if not start. It is highly unlikely that a striker of his quality and age, would make his way to the MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    As much as Cooper is a fantastic player, that would be way too much, IMO.
    personally i'd like to see who the DP signing before going after Cooper, but a guy who can put in the ball in the net like Cooper in MLS doesn't come that often.

I'd trade something like Barrett, Guevara plus draft picks for Cooper