Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation The NCC Needs To Be Played a Year in Advance

Garber said in his SotL address that individual teams will no longer be playing in both Superliga and the CONCACAF Champions League. They will end up in either one or the other. This is easily done, because the teams to play in both those tournaments are determined by the previous year's standings and/or cup wins.

But -- the Nutralite Canadian Championship is currently played in the same calender year as that year's CCL; meaning, the Canadian champion is determined in July and begins play in the CCL that August.

But this can't happen anymore, because what if TFC were to qualify for Superliga and then win the NCC 8 months later? We'd suddenly be qualified for both tournaments. Which is now a no-no (if I'm not mistaken I believe Garber said that CONCACAF mandated it -- but I could be mistaken about that).

So the NCC is going to have to move to the same format as the U.S. Open Cup. The competition will have to be completed a year in advance so the Canadian entrant is known. If it's us, we can't also qualify for Superliga that year.

Unless they grant the CSA some kind of exemption to this -- which I don't think they'd do. I think it would be better to have it a year in advance anyway; that way the scheduling could me more relaxed (not that it's such a hassle with only four games, but anyway . . .)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Champions League now starts a month earlier, (in July next year), the Canadian Championship will have to over earlier.

Don't see the big issue. If Toronto grabs a Superliga spot, then the number 9 team (or whatever) will know that they might play in Superliga sometime in June.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's play Montreal at BMO in March (in the snow if possible!) as the first meaningful TFC game next season.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought there was talk of a TFC - Montreal Impact game at Olympic Stadium before the February 24/26 Champions League Quaterfinal. Though presumably a friendly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point raised by OP.

There's still the potential of TFC qualifying for both SL and CCL in the same year, which is a no-no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No there's not...if TFC qualifies for the SuperLiga and wins the NCC, the next-ranked team from MLS takes over the SuperLiga spot. So long as the NCC is finished before SuperLiga begins (last week of July), there's no issue.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*If it comes down to TFC playing in either the CCL or the Superliga its a no brainer,
    the CCL has to be top priority.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that was ever up for debate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    No there's not...if TFC qualifies for the SuperLiga and wins the NCC, the next-ranked team from MLS takes over the SuperLiga spot. So long as the NCC is finished before SuperLiga begins (last week of July), there's no issue.
    I see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should be able to do both...The NCC and CCC for TFC is completely outside MLS/USSF sphere of influence.. So if we qualify we play in on.. If we also happen to secure a Superliga spot we should be able to say that's our only MLS tourney and play in that too if we want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

basicly if Toronto ever did qualify for Super Liga and Champions League, then Toronto FC would pretty much just have to decide what tournamnet do they really want to compete in....my guess is they would put alot of there team B stringers on the field for SuperLiga matches and put the full time starters on for Champions League matches.

I think everyone can agree champions League is the more credability tournamnet to compete in!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Let's play Montreal at BMO in March (in the snow if possible!) as the first meaningful TFC game next season.
    Excellent idea. The NCC will serve as a great building block to get into the season full steam.

Toronto-Montreal in the snow in late March to kick off the TFC season could become a real great tradition.
    Last edited by ilikemusic; 11-24-2008 at 05:05 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

curious to see how mayn TFC fans value the superliga over the CCL

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    curious to see how mayn TFC fans value the superliga over the CCL

The Superliga is MLS Uefa cup, less glamour then the CCL but a tournament the fans should take some pride in. I would like
    Concacaf to take this over as a uefa cup type tournament,
    to increase Concacaf in world football.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting take on it.
    I thought of it as a moneygrab (another way to make more money on beckham) but itd definitely get more support if it was treated that way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    I really don't think there would be enough advance time for that, in terms of planning. That would only give that ninth place club a couple of weeks to arrange things.

And I don't think you could say it would be just like the play-offs where games are arranged on a week's notice . . . with them, I'm sure there is a play-off contingency built into the teams' stadium and police contracts, so everyone is fully aware it could happen. With SL, these are extra games no one would be expecting, and so they might be able to pull everything together, let alone market it, in only a few weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think NCC is fine as is....they dont need to play a year in advance. Its only 4 games and we dont have the US Open Cup games to worry about!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I think NCC is fine as is....they dont need to play a year in advance. Its only 4 games and we dont have the US Open Cup games to worry about!
    The format is fine if you only want to ever have three teams in the tourny. Eventually, there is going to have to be some sort of Canadian Open Cup which seeds in the likes of Ed, Calgary, Ottawa, ect and so forth. In fact, that would be excellent as footy in canada would have more meaning for teams within lower divisions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GhostPK View Post
    The format is fine if you only want to ever have three teams in the tourny. Eventually, there is going to have to be some sort of Canadian Open Cup which seeds in the likes of Ed, Calgary, Ottawa, ect and so forth. In fact, that would be excellent as footy in canada would have more meaning for teams within lower divisions.
    oh i have no problem in that...in fact i said way back that i wish that they did include lower clubs in the Canadian Championship, and it might give us a game vs say another team from Toronto like say Serbia Eagles .

i thot they were just talking about changing the schedule for the current 3 teams in the tournament. If there is only 3 teams (Vancouver,Montreal,Toronto) then i dont see a reason to play the tournment a year in advance to qualify for Champions League!