Garber said in his SotL address that individual teams will no longer be playing in both Superliga and the CONCACAF Champions League. They will end up in either one or the other. This is easily done, because the teams to play in both those tournaments are determined by the previous year's standings and/or cup wins.

But -- the Nutralite Canadian Championship is currently played in the same calender year as that year's CCL; meaning, the Canadian champion is determined in July and begins play in the CCL that August.

But this can't happen anymore, because what if TFC were to qualify for Superliga and then win the NCC 8 months later? We'd suddenly be qualified for both tournaments. Which is now a no-no (if I'm not mistaken I believe Garber said that CONCACAF mandated it -- but I could be mistaken about that).

So the NCC is going to have to move to the same format as the U.S. Open Cup. The competition will have to be completed a year in advance so the Canadian entrant is known. If it's us, we can't also qualify for Superliga that year.

Unless they grant the CSA some kind of exemption to this -- which I don't think they'd do. I think it would be better to have it a year in advance anyway; that way the scheduling could me more relaxed (not that it's such a hassle with only four games, but anyway . . .)