View Poll Results: Would Richard Peddie leaving MLSE be good?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • It would be good if he's gone and someone better is brought in

39 59.09%
  • No. It would be better if he stayed - he's good at keeping the company financially healthy

7 10.61%
  • It won't make much difference either way

20 30.30%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Richard Peddie on the Way Out? Is this a good thing?

I don't know how credible this is, but assuming it's true and Richard Peddie is on the way out do you think this a good thing for MLSE? Is it good for TFC?

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col...05321-sun.html

The winds of change are blowing at Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., and Richard Peddie soon may be swept out the door.
    The change involving Peddie may not necessarily have anything to do with the impending hiring of Brian Burke as president and general manager of the Leafs -- maybe as soon as late this week -- but it's likely. And Peddie likely is on his way out at the end of the season.
    Peddie has been under fire for failed sporting decisions -- primarily the hiring of Rob Babcock and John Ferguson as inexpensive and inexperienced general managers for the Raptors and the Maple Leafs -- and has been put on notice with a changing and more aggressive board of directors. And while he has clung to the job on the basis of the financial strength of the company, there are those who look at failed television networks and other problems within MLSEL and figure the time is right for change.
    This won't happen quickly. Peddie has been a marvellous survivor, but time is running out.
    Last edited by alexintoronto; 11-23-2008 at 02:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grade A moron. Can't hurt to be rid of him. The only good decision he was ever involved in was hiring Colangelo and removing himself from Raptors decision making.
    Bye Bye, Dickie. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out
    Last edited by OneLoveOneEric; 11-23-2008 at 02:34 PM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His time has come and gone.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peddie leaving would only leave room for another businessman to come in and make money. That's the point.

The only hope is that whoever comes in doesn't make the same boneheaded decisions Peddie did. But let's not hold our breath. Whoever comes in will first and foremost be there to make money.

Let's not fool ourselves into thinking whoever will be brought in will be there to bring championships to the city. Whoever is brought in will be there to make sure the economic downturn doens't take value away from the business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Of course, but if that's true, the new guy is still unlikely to be any worse.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy has his hands in too many people's business, don't let the door hit his ass too hard on the way out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Peddie leaving would only leave room for another businessman to come in and make money. That's the point.

The only hope is that whoever comes in doesn't make the same boneheaded decisions Peddie did. But let's not hold our breath. Whoever comes in will first and foremost be there to make money.

Let's not fool ourselves into thinking whoever will be brought in will be there to bring championships to the city. Whoever is brought in will be there to make sure the economic downturn doens't take value away from the business.
    lets hope its someone that looks favorably on TFC

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneLoveOneEric View Post
    ^^Of course, but if that's true, the new guy is still unlikely to be any worse.
    Really? I get the feeling that is more hopeful sentiment than anything else. We can't be so sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't think so. Peddie was as uncaring about sporting issues as you can get. He really never put a foot right. I don't think we're going to get anything much better, but I truly don't think you could get someone that is much worse. Truly.
    I'm not sure how someone could be worse with respect to on-field activity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now here's some rope.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Say what u will but without RP there would be no TFC. He saw the city as ready and the potential for soccer at a time when the safe move would have been to pass on it. Regardless of the state of the other MLSEL teams - with this one he has been truly visionary.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

/\ Fair play to you Paul.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlsintoronto View Post
    Say what u will but without RP there would be no TFC. He saw the city as ready and the potential for soccer at a time when the safe move would have been to pass on it. Regardless of the state of the other MLSEL teams - with this one he has been truly visionary.
    Is that not what good businessmen do? Sure, I'll give him credit for having a special ability to make $$.

I_AM_CANADIAN

I don't know how credible this is, but assuming it's true and Richard Peddie is on the way out do you think this a good thing for MLSE? Is it good for TFC?
    Is water wet?

Though to be fair, it probably doesn't concern TFC as much as it does the Leafs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would much rather hear it from someone other than Steve Simmons. Since his story about the severity of Mats Sundin's groin injury, I wouldn't put any stock or give any credit to what that Fat Evil Bozo has to say.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    I would much rather hear it from someone other than Steve Simmons. Since his story about the severity of Mats Sundin's groin injury, I wouldn't put any stock or give any credit to what that Fat Evil Bozo has to say.

Simmons is a Grade A douche Bag.
    I can't stand that windbag on the Reporters.
    I love it when Cox calls bullshit on him and he recoils like the snake that he is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you put it that way, he should get some respect from TFC fans.

It's the media portrayal of him as meddling that will do him in.

The success of Colangelo with the Raps after his "no meddling" clause...
    and the apparent same clause that Burke wants....could show that word is out on him...

Who knows if any of it is true though...could be all media BS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Simmons is a Grade A douche Bag.
    I can't stand that windbag on the Reporters.
    I love it when Cox calls bullshit on him and he recoils like the snake that he is.
    Anybody watch the Reporters this morning where they were all wearing toques and FEB Simmons was wearing shades? I'd say he was halfway complete in covering up his ugly face.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    Anybody watch the Reporters this morning where they were all wearing toques and FEB Simmons was wearing shades? I'd say he was halfway complete in covering up his ugly face.
    Libberace called, he wants his shades back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ever hear them discuss soccer on that show? it's painful when the whole panel knows zilch about soccer and half the panel hates the sport. I long for the day when Toronto journalists aren't selective on their knowledge.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damiiano View Post
    The guy has his hands in too many people's business, don't let the door hit his ass too hard on the way out.

So true!!!! you hit the nail on the head loser!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Convincing the city to give MLSE the naming rights to the stadium in exchange for their investment in the project was the biggest con job. Was that his doing?!?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Con job or good business?

Without MLSE there is no TFC. Securing the MLS franchise is what put the BMO Field project over the top in addition to the U20 World Cup.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For that fact alone he gets my grudging respect. Thanks for mentioning it, Paul.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Con job or good business?

Without MLSE there is no TFC. Securing the MLS franchise is what put the BMO Field project over the top in addition to the U20 World Cup.
    It would be good business if it were another private company or corporation they were ripping off, however, they ripped off the city. They ripped off you and I...........the taxpayers. That's not ethical.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, Peddie's job has three components:

1) Make money
    2) Determine a fair split between returns to the owners and investing in the team
    2) Spend the share of the money allocated to the team well

Peddie is very good at number 1.

Number 2 is not bad - Leafs and Raptors have always been at or near the cap, and I don't blame Peddie for holding back on a DP

Number 3 is where Peddie has failed, especially in terms of hiring management for the teams. Quinn was Stavro's hire. Everyone Peddie put in was a failure.

I blame the Board of Directors (ie Teachers) for allowing such a politicized culture around personnel decisions to exist.

Teachers is going to come in for a lot of criticism with respect to their stewardship of MLSE. Teachers have blown a big hole in their balance sheet and have big problems now. MLSE should have been sold for a ton of money a couple of years ago but the directors enjoy jock-sniffing too much. Value of MLSE is severely diminished now given economic environment.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-24-2008 at 08:35 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richard, how did you get into Paul's account?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post
    It would be good business if it were another private company or corporation they were ripping off, however, they ripped off the city. They ripped off you and I...........the taxpayers. That's not ethical.
    I definitely would not call that deal a rip-off considering the exposure the team has given the city, not to mention the revenues the city is earning and the jobs it created. I see nothing unethical in what the team did. A good business deal sees both sides achieving or acquiring advantages it could not have otherwise. That is the case here. Both sides have benefited, it is silly to accuse one side of being unethical when both have profited and could not have without each other.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I blame the Board of Directors (ie Teachers) for allowing such a politicized culture around personnel decisions to exist.

Teachers is going to come in for a lot of criticism with respect to their stewardship of MLSE. Teachers have blown a big hole in their balance sheet and have big problems now. MLSE should have been sold for a ton of money a couple of years ago but the directors enjoy jock-sniffing too much. Value of MLSE is severely diminished now given economic environment.
    I agree 100%!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMHO changes in business strategy typically ping-pong between diversification and focus on core product. If the new MLSE direction is toward focus on core product, where does that put TFC? Probably up for sale. I can't see how that would be good for us in any way, in the current economic environment.