View Poll Results: Are you going to purchase the new TFC jersey before Xmas??

Voters
221. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

42 19.00%
  • No

179 81.00%
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: new jerseys!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    I do agree that the majority of the imagery they use in their marketing was inspired by the supporters in the stands, but there are things that aren't based on our actions. Remember the wrapped streetcars where they had logos from all the areas of Toronto to play up the 'All for One' tagline? Well there's an example of some of the clubs marketing that had nothing to do with us. There are other examples.

I agree the most impressive stuff (like the "TFC 300" spot) does seem to be a creative interpretation of our image.
    And to be fair Mikey, I did mention the wraps a few pages back. I'll give credit where it's due, I really will. Cesar and his team have proven to be excellent opportunists, and I will give them full kudos for this. I'd do the same if I was in their position. You consistently have excellent market research from the individuals in touch with the pulse right on your doorstep; what are you going to do, walk around them a pay (Insert research company name here...).

This is the mild issue I have with having Paul access these boards, he seeds concepts and drives promotions. They still need to execute their other strategies, but the supporters have been proven to be the lightening rod in the past. I'm not so arrogant to think we make it or break it, but we certainly are an important driving force. Take the supporters out of the equation and let's see how great their "pub nights" are. Take your videos away and maybe I float into the distance because I'm even further out of touch. Don't demean your importance, but also let's keep our heads in the clouds.

Our core issue is the ability to immobilise and function as a singular unit. This is important because when push eventually does come to shove they will be armed and we will not be prepared. I do have this in perspective, this is not necessarily an us vs. them scenario, it's about respect. And we need to regain the respect they are stripping from us and stop feeding their marketing team. I know for a fact that they are still tapping up members for concepts and approval on ideas and using members as sounding boards.

I ask that they give us our freedoms back and really bring it back to the "organic" element they promised since day one. Was that the trust or was it an attempt to placate via hyperbole, or in essence talk out of both sides of their mouthes. Paul once suggested I'm like a dog after a bone, he couldn't be more correct, I am. I hate the fact they have reduced something so passionate down to a convoluted or opaque ploy. I will not be placated or pushed into a corner, I'm here to stay, and I'll be back and I will want the atmosphere to be a genuine as always. I hope this is what Jack is working on, I hope Rooney is working on... Everyone.

I would hate to find out that TFC has discovered how the insure and make profit off road trips and suddenly strip Connie and her team of their efforts. I would hate for one day that only "TFC Approved" banners are allowed in the stadium. It would drive me insane if they started to make tailgates and strip the work and habit forming effort of Pat and Boris. I would be incensed. But they have been slowly doing this anyway, and that is what perturbs me, this to me is what this thread is about. It's the systematic and conniving theft of concepts and ideas. It's the taking advantage of passions. Like I said, I have both friends and enemies here, but they are my friends and enemies, and no one from the outside will take that away from me. Ever.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ But the pub nights, as I see it, are principally for the supporters. And it basically gives us what everyone in this thread is complaining we lack: free access to a few players. In fact, I think the pub nights are a good example of what the club does right...

As for your last paragraph, I agree 100% until you say that they've being doing this slowly. The only thing I have had a problem with is their restriction of player access to various "fringe" media. Maybe I'm just uninformed, but I don't know of any other systematic theft of our concepts and ideas...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very good points there Pat. I tend to agree with most of what you're saying.

One thing I'm going to point out, that is worth noting, is that there are really two distinct camps of supporters. No, it's not casuals vs hardcores, it's organized (or group affiliated) and independents. The organized groups are certainly a useful place for the club to test out ideas and get instant feedback, but I think the FO understands that they also need to include the unaffiliated supporters.

When you look at a TFC pub crawl that's out of the downtown core, the place is filled up with these unaffiliates. I went to the last pub night in Missuauga and out of the 100 or so people that were there, I recognized maybe 10 or 15 tops. I'm not going to claim that I know all the organized supporters, but I think I know enough of them by face to have accurate numbers.

What's my point? The majority of people in BMO who show up at every game, buy the jerseys and slap the bumper stickers on their car are NOT part of the organized supporters groups. The things we see as 'issues' like canceling the 90min party, removing the GoTFC press access, using the boards as a marketing research tool.... these aren't issues at all for the independent SSH out there. I'm not sure if I have a point to this. Maybe I'm just wondering is these random supporters feel the same way we do, or are we just getting more worked up over it because we feel that we've got some ownership in this thing we've helped create. I think it would take a hell of a lot to push those outsiders away, as they aren't as emotionally involved as we are.

I need coffee.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very good points there Pat. I tend to agree with most of what you're saying.

One thing I'm going to point out, that is worth noting, is that there are really two distinct camps of supporters. No, it's not casuals vs hardcores, it's organized (or group affiliated) and independents. The organized groups are certainly a useful place for the club to test out ideas and get instant feedback, but I think the FO understands that they also need to include the unaffiliated supporters.

When you look at a TFC pub crawl that's out of the downtown core, the place is filled up with these unaffiliates. I went to the last pub night in Missuauga and out of the 100 or so people that were there, I recognized maybe 10 or 15 tops. I'm not going to claim that I know all the organized supporters, but I think I know enough of them by face to have accurate numbers.

What's my point? The majority of people in BMO who show up at every game, buy the jerseys and slap the bumper stickers on their car are NOT part of the organized supporters groups. The things we see as 'issues' like canceling the 90min party, removing the GoTFC press access, using the boards as a marketing research tool.... these aren't issues at all for the independent SSH out there. I'm not sure if I have a point to this. Maybe I'm just wondering is these random supporters feel the same way we do, or are we just getting more worked up over it because we feel that we've got some ownership in this thing we've helped create. I think it would take a hell of a lot to push those outsiders away, as they aren't as emotionally involved as we are.

I need coffee.
    I have a few friends that are "unaffiliated" supporters (all STH's).
    The major difference is the complacency. On the boards, when TFC sent out the jersey email everyone here had an opinion right away. The majority felt that sight unseen wasn't a good deal.

The unaffiliated supporters I've talked to say things like "Oh yeah, I saw that email" (i.e. I opened it and didn't really pay too much attention). If pressed, they have said things like "yeah, I guess it is weird to not even show us a pic"

I think there are certainly things that TFC can do to engage these more complacent fans and even people who aren't fans - to get them to show the sort of committment and passion that you see from people on the boards (and some not on the boards).

The biggest way to get people to care though is pretty simple - and it's also MLSE's corporate philosophy.

WIN.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    The unaffiliated supporters I've talked to say things like "Oh yeah, I saw that email" (i.e. I opened it and didn't really pay too much attention). If pressed, they have said things like "yeah, I guess it is weird to not even show us a pic"
    I wonder how things would be different if they said something like put down a $50 deposit and you'll be guaranteed first crack at the 2009 jersey. Quantities are limited to 300 units, so act now. And then didn't show a picture. I wonder how that would have gone? Just curious really.

Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Who in their right mind would plunk down $50 for a product they had never seen before?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they would have gotten a lot further if they had made up a poster with Jimmy B or Dichio in a teaser pic (you don't see the whole shirt).Then have a Caption about the launch. It would have gotten people talking and guessing (viral marketing anyone?).

But what would I know...

Examples:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mine is already in the mail!!!

Yo sunnycheee, I think a new baby blue kangol is in order. You agree?
    Where did you order from?? been looking for one for a while.....

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder how things would be different if they said something like put down a $50 deposit and you'll be guaranteed first crack at the 2009 jersey. Quantities are limited to 300 units, so act now. And then didn't show a picture. I wonder how that would have gone? Just curious really.

Do we know if things went badly with the way that it was pushed?

I assume it wasn't a smashing sucess but 300 spots offered to 16000 potential customers (those that did get the email) seems that they anticipated a lowish turnout.

As far as some of Kingpins points, I agree. We are moving twords some the of the goals that were pointed out and its a concern of mine.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rooney View Post
    Do we know if things went badly with the way that it was pushed?

I assume it wasn't a smashing sucess but 300 spots offered to 16000 potential customers (those that did get the email) seems that they anticipated a lowish turnout.

As far as some of Kingpins points, I agree. We are moving twords some the of the goals that were pointed out and its a concern of mine.
    They were only able to get a small shipment of jersey's. Since you can bring a guest for an extra $25 - they really only need 150 people to buy the shirt for this promotion to sell out. Whether it is a success or not is another story. Personally, I think the negative comments coming from people here lead me to believe that it hasn't been a success (sell out or not).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They should make the party free, open it up to the first 1000 people that sign up and allow those people to buy jerseys if they want to at the party. If they don't want to buy jerseys after seeing them - oh well - the person got some finger foods and a free drink from Smirnoff.

The Season Ticket Holder:
    Became a happier customer because he/she got to meet players, got a free drink, got to see (and buy if desired) the new jersey before the general public and was able to spill beer on Parkdale with no reprecussions.

MLSE:
    Gets more exposure for the brand, gets some money from Smirnoff and(or?) the drinks given out to fans paid for, gets customer feedback on the jersey, gets a captive group who will likely buy dozens if not hundreds of jerseys, goodwill from the fans.

Why not have it at BMO?

I'm sure there will be, if there isn't already, 300 people who will go to the event as it is, it doesn't upset me - because I simply don't have to go. but I think they could have done it better and are missing a pretty good opportunity.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoubtguy View Post
    Where did you order from?? been looking for one for a while.....
    my buddy works in a soccer shop in Vancouver. He got it from his adidas rep. Apparently, they aren't getting sold in North America (no big surprise)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alexintoronto View Post
    got to see (and buy if desired) the new jersey before the general public and was able to spill beer on Parkdale with no reprecussions.

gawndamnyou!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my buddy works in a soccer shop in Vancouver. He got it from his adidas rep. Apparently, they aren't getting sold in North America (no big surprise)
    I saw it in a shop in Montreal on rue St. Catherines. Man - Montreal is such an awesome town.

It was in one of those dinky sports shops like you see on Yonge street. They also had the Chelsea and Liverpool Adidas shoes.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man - Montreal is such an awesome town.
    when the Impact gets promoted to the MLS, they NEED to change the name to Olympique Montreal.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when the Impact gets promoted to the MLS, they NEED to change the name to Olympique Montreal.
    That's what they were called in the NASL in the 70's.

Hopefully they have a better logo this time

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hope these new jerseys have a stiched crest and not the felt ones.
    Last edited by mighty_torontofc_2008; 11-20-2008 at 11:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

should have bought one from http://www.thefootballshirt.com - with names, number and badges - shipped for $30

see: http://www.thefootballshirt.com/team...php?team_id=41
    Last edited by GabrielHurl; 11-20-2008 at 11:34 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    should have bought one from http://www.thefootballshirt.com - with names, number and badges - shipped for $30

see: http://www.thefootballshirt.com/team...php?team_id=41

and that beats my free jersey how?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you got it for free -

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you got it for free -
    well I'm bartering some design work for it, but that's essentially 'for free'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you got it for free -
    "In trade" ????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what they were called in the NASL in the 70's.

Hopefully they have a better logo this time

Not gonna happen.

The IOC has cracked down on teams/organizations using the Olympic name and its variations without their consent. Teams like Olympique Marseille are grandfathered, but no new teams can use similar names.

Besides, there is no way in hell the Impact would change their name after 15 years of building their brand in Quebec. The only way a Montreal MLS team is called anything other than "Impact" is if a different ownership group is involved.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    Not gonna happen.

The IOC has cracked down on teams/organizations using the Olympic name and its variations without their consent. Teams like Olympique Marseille are grandfathered, but no new teams can use similar names.

Besides, there is no way in hell the Impact would change their name after 15 years of building their brand in Quebec. The only way a Montreal MLS team is called anything other than "Impact" is if a different ownership group is involved.

They have made an name for themselves with Impact so they should stay with that.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impact is a crap name. They can keep it for all I care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree the most impressive stuff (like the "TFC 300" spot) does seem to be a creative interpretation of our image.
    I'd like to claim TFC 300 as my intellectual property, given that it alludes to last year's New York trip.

At least give me that...the trip was a fucking nightmare otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Impact is a crap name.
    But a fine font...strange how that works.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    I'd like to claim TFC 300 as my intellectual property, given that it alludes to last year's New York trip.

At least give me that...the trip was a fucking nightmare otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post