View Poll Results: Are you going to purchase the new TFC jersey before Xmas??

Voters
221. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

42 19.00%
  • No

179 81.00%
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: new jerseys!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Cheeba View Post
    your chapters example doesn't work. they just sell the books. it's the publishers that price them. sure chapters could cut the price, but they'd be losing as they pay the same amount to the publisher. yes it's cost, but something like that doesn't look good in their books i guess.

the only books that chapters has complete control over are their bargain books. that's it. they could put every book on sale, but they need to keep their profit margins high.

i used to work at coles/smithbooks (all indigo anyways) and someone told me to change the price. i told them i'd go in the back and adjust the machine that binds the books.

shop online, it's the best way to buy books, music and dvds
    The point is we're getting hosed. And I was just going by the sign in the store that said that they buy it 3-6months ahead of time.

Ever notice how the magazines stopped putting the US/Canada price on the front?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    thinking about what you just said.

If TFC made the Final it would be a big deal here in Toronto (and surrounding area). It wouldn't be a big deal anywhere else. There's no team in MLS that's bigger than the league. Teams like Manchester, Madrid, NY Yankees and even the Leafs are bigger than their league, and people will care no matter what the result is.

TFC isn't there yet

No offence, but if you are referring to Manchester United, please don't just call them Manchester...us City fans are insecure enough as it is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE only get's the profit from the jersey's they sell. All other profit from jersey sales get's divided up between the rest of the teams in MLS. So this appears to be an attempt by MLSE to capitilize on the pre-Christmas selling oppourtunity by freezing out retailers, and also maximize profit by freezing out the rest of the MLS teams.

If it results in two quality DP's and a grass pitch. I am okay with these shenaneghans.
    Last edited by BakaGaijin; 11-19-2008 at 10:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we are not going a grass at bmo field the city will never say yes. But grass at a tfc training field that is own by mlse is a yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKanadian View Post
    Holy crap, my bookie was off with his odds. 13 pages and the day isn't even over yet... get back to work you slackers!
    i wonder what the odds were of the thread being started by the mayor's seatmate.LOL im calling William Hill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually think this looks nice.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't /\

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just faxed in my form - I'm going to have a very happy 9 year old and I have to admit I have a grin on my face too...

So I got screwed over for a few bucks and I bought a shirt that I'm taking a risk that I might not personally like... The reality is that I would be buying that shirt next year for sure and I'll still love it even if I don't like the design. I'll admit I could be a sucker but at the end of the day I may have spent $20 or so more than I should but I get a new shirt now and I get to meet some players and maybe even get a beer and food.

In the big scheme of things this isn't the end of the world... I've certainly wasted money before now on a whim or for convenience. Just don't ask me how much I spent on the LCD tv a few years ago!! How many times have you missed the last subway and got a taxi?? Or am I the only drunken idiot on here??

Another thought that I had while I considered this over the last day or so. Consider this alternative reality....

TFC FO announced their new shirts would be launched at a party in TO in early December. Attending would be press, players and a few rich and famous invitees that the MLSE decided worthy. Real fans could wait outside and maybe watch through the window and grab a glimpse of the new shirt if the security guys were feeling generous... Shirts would go on sale in March in time for the new season so no chance for the "Real Fan"tm to get one...

MLSE is happy. TFC FO have an easy life. Fans are pissed off...

Hmmm so maybe fans are pissed off either way??? Tough job keeping everyone happy.... And let's be real here, the incremental revenue $'s are really not even close to being material to MLSE.

For the record, I'm not an MLSE employee or a Leafs fan. I see the fact that prices are going up year after year - believe me look what happened to the kids season ticket discount this year... I bet my % increase was way worse than yours! But this is the reality of business... If people don't want to buy then all power to you but let's not blow this out of proportion.

Just my 2 cents and BTW there better still be tickets to the party available or I'm going to be super bitchy and whiney about those MLSE pricks...
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    I actually think this looks nice.

mine is already in the mail!!!

Yo sunnycheee, I think a new baby blue kangol is in order. You agree?
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Just faxed in my form - I'm going to have a very happy 9 year old and I have to admit I have a grin on my face too...

So I got screwed over for a few bucks and I bought a shirt that I'm taking a risk that I might not personally like... The reality is that I would be buying that shirt next year for sure and I'll still love it even if I don't like the design. I'll admit I could be a sucker but at the end of the day I may have spent $20 or so more than I should but I get a new shirt now and I get to meet some players and maybe even get a beer and food.

In the big scheme of things this isn't the end of the world... I've certainly wasted money before now on a whim or for convenience. Just don't ask me how much I spent on the LCD tv a few years ago!! How many times have you missed the last subway and got a taxi?? Or am I the only drunken idiot on here??

Another thought that I had while I considered this over the last day or so. Consider this alternative reality....

TFC FO announced their new shirts would be launched at a party in TO in early December. Attending would be press, players and a few rich and famous invitees that the MLSE decided worthy. Real fans could wait outside and maybe watch through the window and grab a glimpse of the new shirt if the security guys were feeling generous... Shirts would go on sale in March in time for the new season so no chance for the "Real Fan"tm to get one...

MLSE is happy. TFC FO have an easy life. Fans are pissed off...

Hmmm so maybe fans are pissed off either way??? Tough job keeping everyone happy.... And let's be real here, the incremental revenue $'s are really not even close to being material to MLSE.

For the record, I'm not an MLSE employee or a Leafs fan. I see the fact that prices are going up year after year - believe me look what happened to the kids season ticket discount this year... I bet my % increase was way worse than yours! But this is the reality of business... If people don't want to buy then all power to you but let's not blow this out of proportion.

Just my 2 cents and BTW there better still be tickets to the party available or I'm going to be super bitchy and whiney about those MLSE pricks...

thread done.

fatality. this post killed it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, for clarification....

remember in the video game Mortal Kombat, when you win so decisively, when it just can't get any better... well that post from andyc was the fatality. Everything after that is just an epilogue.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what about 'animality'?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stretchthetruth View Post
    what about 'animality'?
    Isn't that illegal - at least in several US states???

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

remember in the video game Mortal Kombat, when you win so decisively, when it just can't get any better... well that post from andyc was the fatality. Everything after that is just an epilogue.
    So, for my personal clarification. Take on the chin, don't fight it, the powers that be will always win in the end so it's best not to fight???

fatality is right....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Kingpin View Post
    So, for my personal clarification. Take on the chin, don't fight it, the powers that be will always win in the end so it's best not to fight???

fatality is right....
    My view is that this is about personal choices and limits... Is paying $20 extra for a shirt and getting a party the line I won't step over?? My view is that there are much bigger battles to fight than this one.

The lines will always be personal... Look at that Newcastle club - People care a whole lot but have consistenly demonstrated that they can't control direction. At best the fans have a veto...

At the end of the day this is not a take it on the chin decision. This is a personal cost/value decision like every other product. At some point the line is crossed at enough of a collective volume that it affects a suppliers decision. The battle will be won and lost at the collective "line-cross" level not the individual surrender and bend over view point.

Good morning to you and goodnight!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you willingly miss that subway? 'Cause you willingly paid for the shirt...

Did you not view the TV in action before you bought it? 'Cause you're not being allowed to see the shirt before ordering it...

Just saying.

I also don't know what your "alternative reality" has to do with anything. Are you saying it could be worse? That we could be in the middle of a class war? Is this a real-world scenario that actually happened somewhere and you're using it as an example? If not, it's entirely irrelevant.

You also seem to think that the main complaint here is that people are paying $20 more to get a shirt...that's not the case at all, as no one has to pay the extra money to get it early. You can order the shirt without ordering the ticket to the party, if I understand it correctly.

The real complaint is that the deadline for ordering the shirt is more than a week before the unveiling, so we're being asked to shell out $100+ for a shirt none of us have ever seen (or wouldn't have, if not for one fan who happened to snap a photo during a random visit to a Brampton store in July). How does that make sense? Who buys clothes sight-unseen?
    Last edited by James Oliphant; 11-20-2008 at 12:52 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My view is that this is about personal choices and limits... Is paying $20 extra for a shirt and getting a party the line I won't step over?? My view is that there are much bigger battles to fight than this one.

The lines will always be personal... Look at that Newcastle club - People care a whole lot but have consistenly demonstrated that they can't control direction. At best the fans have a veto...

At the end of the day this is not a take it on the chin decision. This is a personal cost/value decision like every other product. At some point the line is crossed at enough of a collective volume that it affects a suppliers decision. The battle will be won and lost at the collective "line-cross" level not the individual surrender and bend over view point.

Good morning to you and goodnight!
    Actually, if you use the NUFC scenario you could suggest (right or wrong) that they fans were the ones that ousted Ashley after the firing/quitting of Keegan. That probably was not the best example... And I'm a long time Newcastle supporter here...

Look, I'm not admonishing your decision in any way... Do what you will, who am I to say. I just have had avery strong opinion about things like this for a long time. As Deniz said, just make a list... It gets a little frustrating that after only two years they are starting to tear at the souls of supporters and force discussions of this nature. It's just a bit sad, not the end of the world... People are frustrated. Just as you should be with the ticket hikes... Just my thoughts, I'm not judge nor jury...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bottom line: i dont buy any clothes till i see if it fits over my belly and doesnt look like a sausage skin and has room to shrink in the dryer. and has the potential for unforseen expansion in the future...
    and btw, good points andy, james and pat.
    craiger

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hit a tree tonight at the end of the skating rink that was the hill at the end of my street tonight.

I am looking at covering a deductible of probably $1000 plus whatever costs occur when you get your car fixed after you trash the quarterpanel.

Choosing to pay $100+ for a shirt won't break me. Stuff like this accident are what really hurt.

I don't get what the complaints are in this thread. Has anyone taken your choice away? For those who choose not to buy sight unseen...has anyone taken your ability to wait until you see the shirt away? No. For those who don't like collars, has anyone forced you to buy a collared shirt? No.

I am still unclear what exactly we are complaining about here. Nobody is reaching into your pockets and taking your money. Until that happens, I don't see where your complaints have any validity. All of you still have the choice to buy these shirts when and where your decide to do it. Until then...save your money, don't buy the shirt and you are no worse for the wear. For real people...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    Did you willingly miss that subway? 'Cause you willingly paid for the shirt...

Did you not view the TV in action before you bought it? 'Cause you're not being allowed to see the shirt before ordering it...

Just saying.

I also don't know what your "alternative reality" has to do with anything. Are you saying it could be worse? That we could be in the middle of a class war? Is this a real-world scenario that actually happened somewhere and you're using it as an example? If not, it's entirely irrelevant.
    Oh boy I was just about to go to sleep...

Did I willingly miss the subway - Wow I'm sure my wife asked me that one as well! It was a bit of an oops sorry thing.... But then when I keep doing that did I just want to stay out drinking late??? At the end of the day the decision was driven by under the usual pain/pleasure principle... I was having fun so I decided to stay and was willing to pay the penalty. No different to the party only this was a sober decision.

I saw the TV in the store but the picture and sound could be completely different at home. Any change from the shirt decision based on the Go TFC picture??? Not so much... I certainly didn't try it on for size in the intended environment...

Alternative reality that I was painting was purely my conjecture on how TFC could have approached this decision. It may not be real for sure but I bet the TFC FO folks thought about that type of scenario... Remember the grumpy thread a month or so ago about no 90 minute party and a certain person calmed everyone by suggesting a much better party in December - this is it folks... Do you think this was always "PLAN A"...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, if you use the NUFC scenario you could suggest (right or wrong) that they fans were the ones that ousted Ashley after the firing/quitting of Keegan. That probably was not the best example... And I'm a long time Newcastle supporter here...

\
    I chose that example deliberately... I remember your old board name...

In the NUFC example (probably one of the strongest supporter groups) they couldn't keep Keegan. The best thing they could do was generate a veto against the ownership - and he's still in charge and demanding a premium price...

Who would replace TMLSE in TO??

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i get the feeling that some people involved w/ runnin this team catagorically (sp) dismiss the notion that we matter. i really think that many of them truly think we can be easily replaced. the lip service says that we do matter. but certain actions prove otherwise. dollars wise, i guess we can be replaced. sad but true. but atmosphere-wise, we cant. and thats where theyre wrong. these guys should know all too well that leaf fans that go to the games now are a joke. lots of $$$ to spend, but no atmosphere, passion or soul. leaf supporters these days (the ones at the home games) are the laughing stock of the league. and its well documented. everyone knows it.
    i gotta get a drink...
    craiger
    Last edited by the-lower-eastsider; 11-20-2008 at 02:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh boy I was just about to go to sleep...

Did I willingly miss the subway - Wow I'm sure my wife asked me that one as well! It was a bit of an oops sorry thing.... But then when I keep doing that did I just want to stay out drinking late??? At the end of the day the decision was driven by under the usual pain/pleasure principle... I was having fun so I decided to stay and was willing to pay the penalty. No different to the party only this was a sober decision.
    Yeah, but I'll bet you ran your ass off (well, stumbled your ass off) trying to get to that last train.

I saw the TV in the store but the picture and sound could be completely different at home. Any change from the shirt decision based on the Go TFC picture??? Not so much... I certainly didn't try it on for size in the intended environment...
    I don't wanna know what kind of home you have that changes the picture and sound. Get some blinds, man.

And just pretend the GoTFC picture of the jersey doesn't exist, because that's basically how TFC is treating us in this instance. The vast, vast majority of people who got that email have likely never seen that picture. Remember that the people on these and other boards are in the minority when it comes to TFC season ticket holders...there are several hundred of us who read/post regularly here, on Usector, on GoTFC and on Kickabola, of whom many had still not seen that picture until I posted it again last night (based on reactions to it).

Alternative reality that I was painting was purely my conjecture on how TFC could have approached this decision. It may not be real for sure but I bet the TFC FO folks thought about that type of scenario... Remember the grumpy thread a month or so ago about no 90 minute party and a certain person calmed everyone by suggesting a much better party in December - this is it folks... Do you think this was always "PLAN A"...
    Yes, I'm certain it was...hence the lack of "90 Minute Part Deux". Don't kid yourself; this company (like all corporations) will take any opportunity to have us spend money on very little (if not nothing), but they know that two events like that in such a short time will, with this group, essentially cancel each other out. And in the end, tying in new merchandise with player apperances will make them more money than player appearances alone.
    Last edited by James Oliphant; 11-20-2008 at 01:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    And in the end, tying in new merchandise with player apperances will make them more money than player appearances alone.

totally.

How about this angle: instead of paying $50 for the 90min party, you can pay $25 to come to this one AND it's not outside of the downtown core. Take the jersey out of the equation, and it's a better situation than last year.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No = 82.35%

This speaks volumes to me. Even if I factor a 10-15% variance based on a 100 vs. 1000 votes it's still a landslide. This isn't an individual complaint about an individual issue, this is about a trend. By trying to isolate this incidence whilst eliminating the accumulating incidences, it could be suggested your are buying into the rhetoric. I have never denied that TFC are "in it to make money", of course they are. It's how tyou make that is being discussed.

I have come to realise very quickly that "organic growth" to the club means let the fans pay for it, whilst corporate growth means.... Let the fans pay for it. I have probably said this 75+ times here, the supporters do all of the marketing for TFC and then they charge us to do some more. The video's, flags, everything is done or has been done by the supporters... Once they get some legs and the groundwork is done, the club lifts the concept and applies a bigger budget whilst squeezing out the supporter(s) who put in the effort. I must regularly ask myself, where are my loyalties. Are they to the club or to the friends and enemies in RPB. The answer for me is simple, I'll support the people who built what RPB has become. Think or thin, I'll never walk away and never stop voicing my opinions. But I always must challenge myself and my loyalties. Just some internal ramblings anyway....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have probably said this 75+ times here, the supporters do all of the marketing for TFC and then they charge us to do some more. The video's, flags, everything is done or has been done by the supporters... Once they get some legs and the groundwork is done, the club lifts the concept and applies a bigger budget whilst squeezing out the supporter(s) who put in the effort
    I do agree that the majority of the imagery they use in their marketing was inspired by the supporters in the stands, but there are things that aren't based on our actions. Remember the wrapped streetcars where they had logos from all the areas of Toronto to play up the 'All for One' tagline? Well there's an example of some of the clubs marketing that had nothing to do with us. There are other examples.

I agree the most impressive stuff (like the "TFC 300" spot) does seem to be a creative interpretation of our image.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never got email about this party so I guess I am not worthy. Oh well maybe next time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do agree that the majority of the imagery they use in their marketing was inspired by the supporters in the stands, but there are things that aren't based on our actions. Remember the wrapped streetcars where they had logos from all the areas of Toronto to play up the 'All for One' tagline? Well there's an example of some of the clubs marketing that had nothing to do with us. There are other examples.

I agree the most impressive stuff (like the "TFC 300" spot) does seem to be a creative interpretation of our image.
    The All For One streetcars were made before we played a game, IIRC. Which makes that point moot because, well we hadn't had a chance to give them marketing material yet.

Just saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just want to clarify the jersey pricing over the years

The first jersey that was launch said "Toronto FC" on the front and it was $99.99

The authentic jersey with "BMO" on the front launched a few months after at a retail of $119.99

This years authentic jersey will be $119.99