Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I find almost all the home broadcasts terrible in MLS - even ours quite regularly. The analysis, knowledge of players, and discussion of tactics is hopelessly bad (please Jason deVos do something about this). It's mostly just bingo calling of names and numbers, even on CBC.

Nigel is our guy, I like the broadcast well enough and I'll live with it, but I know what time it is. I really don't like gerry Dobson at all.

The best crew is in Houston (Charlie Palillo, who also does the Rockets, and someone I can't remember) - they do a great job, even with an American accent (which I have to admit, takes getting used to - soccer announcers should have English or Spanish accents!)
    Last edited by ensco; 05-22-2008 at 06:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd have to agree that the knowledge of the league for most commentators is hopelessly bad, Nigel being no exception.

FSC has a decent crew somewhere, can't remember what their names are. Max Barettos (other than his annoying yyyyyyessss call) has a pretty good understanding of the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBBulldog View Post
    heh how does it not matter, we can't control our players playing like little girls, but we sure can control nonstop 90 minute atmosphere.

QFT, How quickly forget that it was our team that shit the bed last year but it didn't stop us from getting behind our side. I would be appalled if DC's outfits didn't still bring there voices for every match regardless of there poor run of play recently.

That's what makes us all supporters, getting behind our sides regardless of results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    It's not about an identity crisis or a need to ape England, it's about recognizing what works and what doesn't. The constant banter between Rongen and Johnson was distracting, it was like having a radio talk-show on over the game.

Chatty announcers work for games with lots of down time like hockey, baseball, basketball etc. but when it comes to footy let the players on the pitch tell the story. The commentators should provide insight for casual fans and offer their thoughts on the game but for the most part they should let the game unfold naturally - which doesn't require a constant conversation between the two.
    Bang on. American commentators enrage me. You basically have a whole generation of fuckwits who learned to commentate such sports as baseball or golf and suddenly they're asked to do real football. No wonder they can't do it properly.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBBulldog View Post
    heh how does it not matter, we can't control our players playing like little girls, but we sure can control nonstop 90 minute atmosphere.
    All I have heard about since TFC joined the league is the atmosphere that the DC United brings...I am looking forward to seeing it for myself.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kshep View Post
    QFT, How quickly forget that it was our team that shit the bed last year but it didn't stop us from getting behind our side. I would be appalled if DC's outfits didn't still bring there voices for every match regardless of there poor run of play recently.

That's what makes us all supporters, getting behind our sides regardless of results.
    Agreed...win or lose...I hope DC United fans keep bringing it.

We would all suffer if they didn't. DC United IS the signature team of the league regardless of how much MLS tries to make it the Gals. For MLS to keep growing, teams like DC and Toronto have to make sure support remains high while the rest of the league builds around us. Supporters failing to show up will only hurt the entire league.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Actually I find almost all the home broadcasts terrible in MLS - even ours quite regularly. The analysis, knowledge of players, and discussion of tactics is hopelessly bad (please Jason deVos do something about this). It's mostly just bingo calling of names and numbers, even on CBC.

Nigel is our guy, I like the broadcast well enough and I'll live with it, but I know what time it is. I really don't like gerry Dobson at all.

The best crew is in Houston (Charlie Palillo, who also does the Rockets, and someone I can't remember) - they do a great job, even with an American accent (which I have to admit, takes getting used to - soccer announcers should have English or Spanish accents!)
    Let's think about this rationally for a second.

They are local or regional broadcasts.

They have camera crews who until 10 years ago for the most part knew nothing about the sport.

They have people who have more experience covering hockey, gridiron and basketball than footy.

And yet we all expect the broadcasts to be big productions ala EPL with Martin Tyler or Andre Cantor.

yikes.

that's just asking to be disappointed.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    All I have heard about since TFC joined the league is the atmosphere that the DC United brings...I am looking forward to seeing it for myself.
    come on down to the abyss..

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Agreed...win or lose...I hope DC United fans keep bringing it.

We would all suffer if they didn't. DC United IS the signature team of the league regardless of how much MLS tries to make it the Gals. For MLS to keep growing, teams like DC and Toronto have to make sure support remains high while the rest of the league builds around us. Supporters failing to show up will only hurt the entire league.
    QFT. Truer words have never been written here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by footyfan View Post
    QFT. Truer words have never been written here.
    I beg to differ:

oh the Red Bulls are shite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    So fucking shite!

But seriously, I agree...and I doubt DC's supporters are going anywhere. You guys are a great example of what proper support is/should be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    ^
    I doubt DC's supporters are going anywhere. You guys are a great example of what proper support is/should be.
    I'd be very surprised if they packed it in so easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevvv View Post
    Americans and Canadians like different styles of sports commentary, simple as that. Wait until the olympics, and compare how NBC cover a sport versus CBC. I much prefer CBC's way, but NBC do it their way for a reason.
    That's not saying much. Americans in the border states that can get CBC say they prefer it's coverage to that of NBC. I recall reading during the '98 Olympics an article by an American journalist lamenting the far inferior American broadcasts and that it was widely considered that the CBC was the standard around the world when it came to Olympic broadcasting.

In fact unless I'm mistaken the Nagano Olympic Committee had the CBC and design and implement the camera coverage for virtually all the events in order to make sure that the Official Host feed was as high quality as possible.
    Last edited by devioustrevor; 05-23-2008 at 12:38 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    I beg to differ:

oh the Red Bulls are shite!
    AFT
    (Absolutely Fucking True)

So shite!