Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 44
  1. #1
    RPB Member
    Moderator

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    18,035
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Where's footyfan?

    I would have thought he'd be on here to congratulate us on our win.

    Seriously, I think that DC is a better team than the stats show, however, they are off to a slow start this year. Good for us, though. If we win on Saturday, TFC will be in 2nd overall. We are already in a Superliga spot.


  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    He said this in the Match thread

    Quote Originally Posted by footyfan View Post
    well done tfc. i hate you. see you saturday.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I would have thought he'd be on here to congratulate us on our win.
    I did. well done. i hate you. see you saturday.

    Seriously, I think that DC is a better team than the stats show, however, they are off to a slow start this year. Good for us, though. If we win on Saturday, TFC will be in 2nd overall. We are already in a Superliga spot.
    Speaking of Superliga, I hope DC just decides to focus on that, the US Open Cup and the CCL cause those may be the only trophies we have a ghost of a chance of winning this year other wise we will get sweet FA out of this season.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East of Vancouver
    Posts
    3,943
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I would have thought he'd be on here to congratulate us on our win.

    Seriously, I think that DC is a better team than the stats show, however, they are off to a slow start this year. Good for us, though. If we win on Saturday, TFC will be in 2nd overall. We are already in a Superliga spot.
    We can play in the SuperLiga?!
    OMG!!!!! TO Mexico baby!!!
    (Ya I'm a little excited)

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    We can play in the SuperLiga?!
    OMG!!!!! TO Mexico baby!!!
    (Ya I'm a little excited)
    Yes you can play in SuperLiga, you just can not qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League through MLS play nor would you likely be able to qualify for the Copa Libertadores through SuperLiga should they make that the prize as has been rumored.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    13 years.
    13 years to look like that?
    13 years to turn into shite?

    I guess winning those cups when the league was new and full of junk has gone to your head. MLS is a real league now, perhaps you should get some real players......don't you think?

    Of course I'm just joking, but things are not looking good over there.
    Last year we were close to that bad, but at least we had a decent soccer stadium.
    Good luck with that by the way.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    cant wait to hear his comments on when we beat them again on saturday..thats right I said it, you can have great support in DC all you want...but if your team is shitting the bed right now, it wont matter.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East side!
    Posts
    2,654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by footyfan View Post
    Yes you can play in SuperLiga, you just can not qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League through MLS play nor would you likely be able to qualify for the Copa Libertadores through SuperLiga should they make that the prize as has been rumored.
    Why not?

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    Why not?

    Its becasue we are Canadian.

  10. #10
    RPB Member
    Moderator

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    18,035
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Meanwhile, the Fire Soehn Now! thread on BS is up to 35 pages. DC fans are blaming the coach...

    http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showt...529728&page=35


  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Has the coach been sacked yet?

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawkus_420 View Post
    cant wait to hear his comments on when we beat them again on saturday..thats right I said it, you can have great support in DC all you want...but if your team is shitting the bed right now, it wont matter.
    heh how does it not matter, we can't control our players playing like little girls, but we sure can control nonstop 90 minute atmosphere.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laurignano View Post
    Has the coach been sacked yet?
    Not yet, but he's sure on thin ice. Probably too close to Saturday's game to do something drastic like that, but who knows.

    Maybe not too fair if you think about it...last week we drew Columbus, the supposedly "best" team in the league right now and they had way less chances and possession than DCU did last night.

    DC had one "oopsey" momment than resulted in DD's goal, but other than that, and especially at the end of the game, they were all over us the way we were all over Cowlumbus last week. They just couldn't buy a goal, but you know that with the talent they have that won't be a problem forever.

    For me, a good result on saturday would be a draw after watching that game.



    But I wouldn't mind a win either.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    in your head
    Posts
    9,850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    DC's now in tough to even make the playoffs. Thankfully for them they have CONCACAF champions league to look forward to in the fall when they are out of playoff contention.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brando View Post
    13 years.
    13 years to look like that?
    13 years to turn into shite?

    I guess winning those cups when the league was new and full of junk has gone to your head. MLS is a real league now, perhaps you should get some real players......don't you think?

    Of course I'm just joking, but things are not looking good over there.
    Last year we were close to that bad, but at least we had a decent soccer stadium.
    Good luck with that by the way.
    Its not the players for the most part, it's the management.

    BTW: We won the Supporters Shield last year. Thanks for playing.

    Oh and please kick our ass saturday so Soehn gets fired and we can move on. Im sick of this shit dragging out.

    Some of the names being talked about, to replace Soehn are wild:

    Bruce Arena (former coach

    Hugo Sanchez (Bi-lingual former Dallas player and Mexican National Team manager)

    Jose Mourinho (Who DC United made a good impression on during a friendly 3 years ago. So much so that he has come to one game since then).

    So yeh kick our ass so we can get a kick ass coach/manager before the Open Cup/SuperLiga/Champions League stretch.
    Last edited by footyfan; 05-22-2008 at 04:53 PM.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    21,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Jose Mourinho, you must be kidding. You think that can acctually happen?

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Broadview View Post
    Not yet, but he's sure on thin ice. Probably too close to Saturday's game to do something drastic like that, but who knows.

    Maybe not too fair if you think about it...last week we drew Columbus, the supposedly "best" team in the league right now and they had way less chances and possession than DCU did last night.

    DC had one "oopsey" momment than resulted in DD's goal, but other than that, and especially at the end of the game, they were all over us the way we were all over Cowlumbus last week. They just couldn't buy a goal, but you know that with the talent they have that won't be a problem forever.

    The difference is, DC is not Columbus.

    There is added pressure in DC to perform due to the history and tradition of winning. Also we have a rabid fan base of fútbol knowledgeable people who are calling for Soehn's head. They look at what happened in Dallas and at what happens in the Premiership and La Liga and say, "why is Soehn still coach"?

    Columbus has soccer moms and no one could care less about the team and its standings.

    Here we have shows about United and the regional network that broadcasts the games pays United for the right to do so. Columbus is lucky to get their games on the air.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wanking to www.juliusjames.blogspot.com
    Posts
    31,921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Jose Mourinho, you must be kidding. You think that can acctually happen?

    Agreed LOL...I don't care how good of an impression Dc United made on him..he ain't going there anytime soon..I can assure you that.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Jose Mourinho, you must be kidding. You think that can acctually happen?
    No.

    Not right now but he has said he would be interested in the challenge of managing in America at some point and he did go to a DC United game on his own either last year or the year before (I forget).

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I was trolling on some DC boards and the general consensus is that Soehn is safe for the weekend... but a loss to TFC on Sat will be the nail in his coffin.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noochie View Post
    I was trolling on some DC boards and the general consensus is that Soehn is safe for the weekend... but a loss to TFC on Sat will be the nail in his coffin.

    He lost the dressing room ages ago so yes, please beat us 5-0.

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pickering, ON
    Posts
    15,242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by footyfan View Post

    Here we have shows about United and the regional network that broadcasts the games pays United for the right to do so. Columbus is lucky to get their games on the air.
    I'm not saying this as a dig at your team or anything like that, so please don't take my comments the wrong way. The TFC/DCU game that was broadcast here last night was a direct feed from DC - and I've never heard worse commentary in my entire life. The two dudes talked non-stop through out the entire game and 90% of it was inane chatter. It was so bad and so distracting that I turned the volume off towards the end of the game because I couldn't take it any more. I though US broadcasts of NHL games (in non traditional NHL markets) were bad bu this was worse. It was painfull.

    You guys have a good team (despite your record), an awesome fanbase and some good history in the league, but for the love of God fire your TV announcers and hire people who know when to talk and when to keep thiers mouths shut. It's like they got paid by word and were scrambling to feed their starving children at home.

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawkus_420 View Post
    cant wait to hear his comments on when we beat them again on saturday..thats right I said it, you can have great support in DC all you want...but if your team is shitting the bed right now, it wont matter.
    WTF? Is that the kind of fan associated with TFC?

    During 2001-2002 we had a worse team than this one and yet our support has never been stronger.

    SUPPORT MEANS JUST THAT. Not just going to games because they're winning.

    Win Or Lose Always Here For United

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I'm not saying this as a dig at your team or anything like that, so please don't take my comments the wrong way. The TFC/DCU game that was broadcast here last night was a direct feed from DC - and I've never heard worse commentary in my entire life. The two dudes talked non-stop through out the entire game and 90% of it was inane chatter. It was so bad and so distracting that I turned the volume off towards the end of the game because I couldn't take it any more. I though US broadcasts of NHL games (in non traditional NHL markets) were bad bu this was worse. It was painfull.
    Because you believe everything must be boring dry commentary like the EPL.

    Nigel Reed would never get a job down here for that very reason.

    You guys have a good team (despite your record), an awesome fanbase and some good history in the league, but for the love of God fire your TV announcers and hire people who know when to talk and when to keep thiers mouths shut.
    We like our announcers thank you. One is a Dutchman who is the former coach of the last losing DC United team (Thomas Rongen) and the other is a very passionate supporter Dave Johnson. Just because they do not have a British accent and are trying too hard to make the broadcast sound like the EPL doesn't mean they are bad.

    If you want an American who does that see Sean Wheelock who is more painful to listen to than anyone else in America if you ask me.

    We do not have the identity crises that Canada has so have no need to ape England.

    What next, you going to tell Univision/Telefutura they should not talk so fast?
    Last edited by footyfan; 05-22-2008 at 03:26 PM.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East side!
    Posts
    2,654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by footyfan View Post
    Because you believe everything must be boring dry commentary like the EPL.

    Nigel Reed would never get a job down here for that very reason.

    We like our announcers thank you. One is a Dutchman who is the former coach of the last losing DC United team (Thomas Rongen) and the other is a very passionate supporter Dave Johnson. Just because they do not have a British accent and are trying too hard to make the broadcast sound like the EPL doesn't mean they are bad.

    If you want an American who does that see Sean Wheelock who is more painful to listen to than anyone else in America if you ask me.

    We do not have the identity crises that Canada has so have no need to ape England.

    What next, you going to tell Univision/Telefutura they should not talk so fast?
    So its because we have an 'identity crisis' that a Brit is calling our games?

    Hes been on Toronto radio since long before TFC came around.

    If not having an identity crisis means wanting to listen to people like Max Bretos then I never want to be self assured.

  26. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ronger kept calling Amado "Amundo". His voice was grating but his commentary wasn't that bad. The other guy was fine. It's the ESPN guys that usually drive me nuts.

    The advertising graphics on the screen were horrible. And they kept cutting to field level shots which is cool...when the play is there! When the ball is booted up field they stayed on guys walking and we had no idea where the ball even was. Between those and the damn ticker...bah! I hate when the score does games.

  27. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pickering, ON
    Posts
    15,242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's not about an identity crisis or a need to ape England, it's about recognizing what works and what doesn't. The constant banter between Rongen and Johnson was distracting, it was like having a radio talk-show on over the game.

    Chatty announcers work for games with lots of down time like hockey, baseball, basketball etc. but when it comes to footy let the players on the pitch tell the story. The commentators should provide insight for casual fans and offer their thoughts on the game but for the most part they should let the game unfold naturally - which doesn't require a constant conversation between the two.

  28. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    So its because we have an 'identity crisis' that a Brit is calling our games?
    No. It's because you're Canadian.

    And as for Nigel. I quite like his commentary. I'm just in the minority down here and I can see both styles being suited for people who grew up listening to them. Put Nigel in DC and he'd sound as out of his depth as Dave Johnson's "It's In the Net!" would in Toronto more than likely.

    Hes been on Toronto radio since long before TFC came around.
    Which is why you and others like him. He is familiar, same with our guys.

    If not having an identity crisis means wanting to listen to people like Max Bretos then I never want to be self assured.
    Bretos can F*** right off. I can't stand him either.

  29. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    It's not about an identity crisis or a need to ape England, it's about recognizing what works and what doesn't. The constant banter between Rongen and Johnson was distracting, it was like having a radio talk-show on over the game.

    Chatty announcers work for games with lots of down time like hockey, baseball, basketball etc. but when it comes to footy let the players on the pitch tell the story. The commentators should provide insight for casual fans and offer their thoughts on the game but for the most part they should let the game unfold naturally - which doesn't require a constant conversation between the two.
    So let me get this straight.

    You mean the players on the pitch can't "tell the story" if someone is talking? I watch the game for the game not the commentators.

    Again, it has to do with what you grew up listening to. What works in one country (ENGLAND) does not work in another (MEXICO) or (USA).

  30. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Posts
    6,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Americans and Canadians like different styles of sports commentary, simple as that. Wait until the olympics, and compare how NBC cover a sport versus CBC. I much prefer CBC's way, but NBC do it their way for a reason.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •