Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default WOW.... is the `trophy` given to Crew and Red Bulls pathetic or what...

like honestly MLS has zero common sense.... People who will watch this around the world... can;t do nothing but laugh at MLS....
    Are you serious... that trophy is some thing similar to what the grasshopper league under 5 champions get in my neighbourhood....
    Couldn`t they make a plate which looks more prestigious and credible... than this little peace of shit..... WOW Garber is really DUmb...

Plus all the talking at the end is so bush league... like everybody saw the game just say a short and quick sentence and present the throphy and don;t make it so demn awkward....

Plus road to the MLS cup advertisement makes me want to puke... they want to make it funny while it is embarassing and corny... A better idea would have been to target the fans instead of soccer moms... these people really don;t get it... the reason soccer survives in othe countries is because a club is like a religion like a family and thats type of environment is not provided by soccer moms... But by hard core soccer fans

Anyway, rant over...

ps: mlsintoronto please mention the cup thing to the league

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry, but this doesn't belong in the "news" section.

the news section is for links and reposts of published articles relating to the team.

moving to the general TFC section (the place for all your ranting needs)
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agree with everything.

The cup looks so stupid, and the video you mentioned really does suck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to know what neighbourhood you live in that their "grasshopper league under 5 champions" get a cup made by Tiffany & Co. Must be the Bridle Path.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    I'd like to know what neighbourhood you live in that their "grasshopper league under 5 champions" get a cup made by Tiffany & Co.
    clearly, he lives in parkdale

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That regentrification must be working.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like it and think its a big improvement. i believe that when it was first revealed, it got a pretty good reaction from alot of people around here as well.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

regentrification
    interesting word.

Gentrification is the process of renewal and rebuilding that accompanies an influx of affluent or middle class residents into a previously deteriorating area. Usually gentrification displaces the original, and poorer residents. Would this regentrification mean that the poor people are taking back the area and turning Starbucks back into Coffee Time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no that would be degentrification.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

then what is regentrification? We go from local diners, to chain restaurants, to fine dining?

shit. I'm moving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty dinky...

Last edited by Chewy Unikronik; 11-16-2008 at 09:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    then what is regentrification? We go from local diners, to chain restaurants, to fine dining?

shit. I'm moving.
    Well, walk around Parkdale, those rooming houses used to be huge, single family homes. Regentrification is exactly what's going on. Before the expressway cut it off from the lake, Parkdale was an upscale neighbourhood.

Okay, so Wikipedia's not the best source, but damn, it's the easiest:

"Pardale was founded as a village in 1879, joining Toronto in 1889. It was an upper income residential area for the first half of the 20th Century, with several notable mansions. The area changed dramatically with the building of the Gardiner Expressway, demolishing the southern section of the neighbourhood and the creation of a barrier between the neighbourhood and the lakeshore. This led to both an outflux of prosperous residents west, and a decline in the economy."

Now, to save you from having to move this to off topic, I'll just say, picture that MLS cup in a hundred years with dozens of bands added like the Stanley Cup. It'll look fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really dont mind... Its one of those hockey trophies you win and the team doesnt touch in fear of a jnyx before the major cup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to know what neighbourhood you live in that their "grasshopper league under 5 champions" get a cup made by Tiffany & Co. Must be the Bridle Path.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Now, to save you from having to move this to off topic, I'll just say, picture that MLS cup in a hundred years with dozens of bands added like the Stanley Cup. It'll look fine.
    Umm... He's not refering to the MLS Cup, but instead those chalices that the Red Bull and Crew recieved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy Unikronik View Post
    Umm... He's not refering to the MLS Cup, but instead those chalices that the Red Bull and Crew recieved.

oops

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing the conference cups with something more regal, is about 9,975th on my list of priorities for MLS.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Well, walk around Parkdale, those rooming houses used to be huge, single family homes. Regentrification is exactly what's going on. Before the expressway cut it off from the lake, Parkdale was an upscale neighbourhood.
    Yup...that's what I was going for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve seen nicer ice containers at the Marriot Hotel in room 514. Embarassing. Put that thing away already! Eeek!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it, it has a better design then all the north american sports....baseball is bland
    Super bowl is ok....Stanley cup is so/so...NBA championship not bad.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, place me in the "I don't really give a fuck" category.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

of course, when we win one next season, it will be like a Holy Grail

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

considering MLS' adidas whoredom, I'm surprised there are 5 stripes on those handle things instead of 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy Unikronik View Post
    Pretty dinky...

I couldn't watch the celebration. It was embarrassing

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha ha! I love it! I kept wondering why they wouldn't show a picture of the cup with some perspective before the presentation, and there you have it! It's tiny!

Sure, it looks all nice and shiny and impressive when you're taking a photo of it with a white background, but when you see it in the mitts of a player hoisting it up - well it's not so grand anymore is it?

Seriously, who comes up with this stuff?

Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is everyone just so full of their own nonsense here that they are ignoring what is being said by the non-retarded faction on the board. The MLS cup and the confrence cups are two different cups. The confrence cups being smaller because of the U.S. mentality of bigger is better as well as the idea that winning a trophy is the prize. The title of "Champions" is the prize the trophy you give back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Ha ha! I love it! I kept wondering why they wouldn't show a picture of the cup with some perspective before the presentation, and there you have it! It's tiny!

Sure, it looks all nice and shiny and impressive when you're taking a photo of it with a white background, but when you see it in the mitts of a player hoisting it up - well it's not so grand anymore is it?

Seriously, who comes up with this stuff?

the actual MLS cup is much bigger than the conference cups!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onemanbarmyarmy View Post
    Is everyone just so full of their own nonsense here that they are ignoring what is being said by the non-retarded faction on the board. The MLS cup and the confrence cups are two different cups. The confrence cups being smaller because of the U.S. mentality of bigger is better as well as the idea that winning a trophy is the prize. The title of "Champions" is the prize the trophy you give back.
    Though I see your point and understand what sociological element you are drawing from, you must admit that this is just a touch embarrassing. If you look at the NFL equivalent (http://www.nflhistory.org/museum/images/crown.jpg) you see how it can still be done with an element of prestige. The trophies presented by the MLS for the "conference" finals, looks like something I could get for $15.00 at the Wexford trophy shop in Scarborough. It might be said that the NFL is bigger and a money laden organisation, OK, let's look at the NHL and it's family of trophies (http://www.tmlfever.com/files/trophy_showcase.gif), these are some fantastic awards.

When push comes to shove, it shows in all areas that the MLS is exceptionally short sighted. It is simply the saddest part of the league. I find the new championship trophy to be tolerable looking to be honest, but the stripping of the founder of the trophy name eliminates any design implications as it shows again how classless Don Garber is and how he has zero understanding of tradition and loyalty, other to that of is rear trouser pocket. Whenever i see my toilet flush, I always feel like I'm seeing the MLS logo swirl around before it sinks into obscurity in the local sewer.

The league is in desperate need a sweeping change for it to develop into the next faze. Don Garber got it this far, but he is now in over his head and it becomes more apparent that he is incapable of vision.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The original poster wasn't complaining about the MLS cup - he/she was referring to the conference trophies.

I don't think anyone will argue the fact that the new MLS cup is a HUGE improvement.

As for the conference trophies - they are an improvement on the glass cups that were previously used. I think they look good and are on the right track - they are just too small, that's all.

I do agree with the comment on the presentation though. Why can't they just say "it's my pleasure to present ..." why the long speech that takes away from the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by GhostPK View Post
    i really dont mind... Its one of those hockey trophies you win and the team doesnt touch in fear of a jnyx before the major cup
    I don't know where this came from - this only started in the 90's and I think it's stupid.

here's the kings in 93

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It still looks funny to me that the Red Bulls get the Western conference cup.....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoachGT View Post
    It still looks funny to me that the Red Bulls get the Western conference cup.....
    Your not alone. Awarding domination over 7 or 8 teams makes the whole league look funny.