Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default It's the offseason...so I have to bring this up.

If only to keep with my tradition! LOL!

But I think it is painfully obvious that the final 4 teams had somewhat of a "Latin" flavour and/or a DP.

This offseason will be dominated by DP talk for TFC. But I hope what isn't overlooked is Mo's need to look down south for some effective and cost-effecient roleplayers. Most teams in the MLS have found them to be effective.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....html#?eref=T1

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

puede ser derecho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eh what pardon, mate?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    puede ser derecho

you mean puedes estar correcto...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post

But I think it is painfully obvious that the final 4 teams had somewhat of a "Latin" flavour and/or a DP.

This offseason will be dominated by DP talk for TFC. But I hope what isn't overlooked is Mo's need to look down south for some effective and cost-effecient roleplayers. Most teams in the MLS have found them to be effective.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....html#?eref=T1

Good article:

"And while Latino players have consistently done well in MLS -- seven of the first 12 MVP awards have gone to Latinos -- the star power in numbers had faded until a recent resurgence."

But I wish it gave a better reason for why the numbers faded and then came back - the claim of economics doesn't really work because the those numbers didn't really change so the number of non-European players should have held constant or even increased.

It's too bad Ruiz didn't work out better. I guess he's gone for good, right?

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pronto View Post
    you mean puedes estar correcto...
    sorry... I have no idea what i am saying... I just pulled up a translation site and took a shot...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL!

As for why stars have left...it all comes down to dollars.

Mexico and Europe pay a whole lot better.

At this point, stars is not what we need. We need kids looking to make a name, even if it's just to use MLS as a jumping board on to bigger leagues. Like Edu, if we uncover a star, we could sell him to bigger teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL!

As for why stars have left...it all comes down to dollars.

Mexico and Europe pay a whole lot better.

At this point, stars is not what we need. We need kids looking to make a name, even if it's just to use MLS as a jumping board on to bigger leagues. Like Edu, if we uncover a star, we could sell him to bigger teams.
    Yeah, sure, dollars, but the question is why the fade and why the resurgence? Once the pipeline was established shouldn't it have been steady? And how did it start up again?

I guess it doesn't really matter, but I just have the feeling that getting good young players out of South America is a lot harder than people think.

Still, I would love to see MLS more connected to Central and South America. It just makes more sense with CONCACAF and the Gold Cup and all that, doesn't it?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our team has Guevara and Velez and had Ruiz. That's latin flavour! One of the 3 (guevara) was actually good, too.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    puede ser derecho
    As soon as I read this I said to myself "He went to a translation page and it got translated literally"..

Ha ha.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Our team has Guevara and Velez and had Ruiz. That's latin flavour! One of the 3 (guevara) was actually good, too.
    Ruiz WAS a quality player who has lost his fire and should be left behind. And probalby won't be with us at the start of the season, so let's not include him.

Velez is a sub in MLS, and unfortunately, Puerto Rico isn't exactly a soccer hotbed. They love their baseball more than soccer. You aren't really going to get a whole lot of highly-skilled Boricua players.

Guevara is the only player that I feel really fits the bill. And having one out of 11 starting spots, in a CONCACAF league, is probably falling short.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guevara is the only player that I feel really fits the bill. And having one out of 11 starting spots, in a CONCACAF league, is probably falling short.
    But there aren't really 11 spots open for players from anywhere, are they? There has to be a certain number of Canadian and American players - I realize it's overall roster and not starting 11, but it still reduces the number of spots.

Still, you're right, for a CONCACAF league it's not enough, but it is early days yet.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Velez is not a 1st team player. He is a USL player

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    But there aren't really 11 spots open for players from anywhere, are they? There has to be a certain number of Canadian and American players - I realize it's overall roster and not starting 11, but it still reduces the number of spots.

Still, you're right, for a CONCACAF league it's not enough, but it is early days yet.
    The truth is that we aren't going to have more than 3 players on our starting XI that will be Canadian boys.

And there is no need for us to carry Americans unless they start counting as domestics. Other than the fact that we are drafting them into the system.

So let's say a balance would be, 3 Canadians, 3 Americans and 2 Latinos. That still leaves room for 3 Europeans, which is probably about as much as we can afford anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have enough latin based players,Iwould like to see maybe a couple of africans!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who cares where they come from as long as they can pass a ball and maybe put one in the back of the net once in a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a backwards fucking joke of a league this is! Screw a DP, screw latin players, for a league this cash strapped there should be a hell of a lot more focus on developing our own players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NF-FC View Post
    What a backwards fucking joke of a league this is! Screw a DP, screw latin players, for a league this cash strapped there should be a hell of a lot more focus on developing our own players.
    We're waaaay too impatient for that.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipityflu View Post
    who cares where they come from as long as they can pass a ball and maybe put one in the back of the net once in a while.
    second that.

The major reason MLS looks south is quality for less $$$. Which is fine but it is one of many places to look for talent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry to burst your bubble, Roogsy, but there were teams with DPs and teams with somewhat of a latin flavour that did not make it to the final 4

i don't think there's an easy ethnic or roster-rule-based formula that equals success in MLS.

my belief is you have to have a team with reasonably good talent, young and old, that sticks together over a few years to see success.

there have been a lot of failures in this league who came from south of the American-Mexico border. there have been DP failures. there have been european failures... there's no one solution to success.
    Last edited by rocker; 11-16-2008 at 12:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roogsy's right but this debate is at cross purposes. The reason we should be latin is the same reason we should be looking African: price.

This isn't about latin vs euro, it's about cheap vs expensive

olegunnar

Sorry Roogsy is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olegunnar View Post
    Sorry Roogsy is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her.

Definitely agree with jloome here. I don't give two flying fucks where they are from. I care more about getting a quality, consistant player who wants to play here without demanding DP status or close to it. Whether they're from Peru, Brazil, Africa, Japan, the moon... really is irrelevant as they all count as International anyway.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't care where they come from as long as they can either play the system the coach wants or convince the coach that they are better suited to a different style of play given the talent on hand.

The bottom line... I want them to be entertaining to watch.
    O yeah... winning would be nice too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember last off season? I sure do. I remember when DC united went out, used their awesome south american scouting system, and signed 5 top players. I remember when our board got so pissed off because Mo could have just gone to south american, thrown a rock, and hit a player that would tear this league up.

Then I remember this season, when most of those 5 turned out to be overpayed bench players. Where they were overhyped, and didn't turn out as expected. I then remember DC united failing to even make the playoffs, after winning the SS last year. Yep, I have a pretty good memory.

Now, I'm not saying latin suck. Far from it. I'm saying I want good players. I don't care where they're from, I don't care if we represent our region well, I just care that we sign quality, and integrate them into our team well.

Here is the situation as I see it. Right now Mo and Carver still have strong connections in the UK. They don't have those same connections in South America (or Central America, etc). Sure, maybe TFC should hire someone to make connections, but that will take time. That means, for now, we have an easier time convincing players we have contacts with to come play for us. Also, we live in Canada. If I lived in South America and heard a Canadian team was recruiting, I'd be less enthused to come play there (I hear it's cold, eh?).

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. Agreed but I think Roogsy is focusing more the fact that there are more available S Americans for less than in the UK even with our managers connections. I hope to see more players at least try out for our club this year.

before the season starts.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Roogsy's right but this debate is at cross purposes. The reason we should be latin is the same reason we should be looking African: price.

This isn't about latin vs euro, it's about cheap vs expensive
    Jloome gets it.

Hey...if we get zero latin players and a bunch of great African prospects, I'd be happy. A little concerned about the style difference between CAF and CONCACAF players, but that can be overcome.

But there is a thread this morning that TFC is looking in Ireland and unfortunately, that is heading in the wrong direction in my opinion.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Remember last off season? I sure do. I remember when DC united went out, used their awesome south american scouting system, and signed 5 top players. I remember when our board got so pissed off because Mo could have just gone to south american, thrown a rock, and hit a player that would tear this league up.

Then I remember this season, when most of those 5 turned out to be overpayed bench players. Where they were overhyped, and didn't turn out as expected. I then remember DC united failing to even make the playoffs, after winning the SS last year. Yep, I have a pretty good memory.

Now, I'm not saying latin suck. Far from it. I'm saying I want good players. I don't care where they're from, I don't care if we represent our region well, I just care that we sign quality, and integrate them into our team well.

Here is the situation as I see it. Right now Mo and Carver still have strong connections in the UK. They don't have those same connections in South America (or Central America, etc). Sure, maybe TFC should hire someone to make connections, but that will take time. That means, for now, we have an easier time convincing players we have contacts with to come play for us. Also, we live in Canada. If I lived in South America and heard a Canadian team was recruiting, I'd be less enthused to come play there (I hear it's cold, eh?).
    Am I right in that you are criticizing the team with the most MLS Cups of all because they missed the playoffs for the first time in how many years? DC United is arguably the most successful team in the league. More Open Cups, More MLS Cups and more Supporters Shields than anyone else. I would suggest their strategy is working overall.

Listene dude, everyone wants good players. The point is though, that they come at a price. The sooner people realize that this is about value for money and not just signing anyone who can pass the ball, the sooner we will be in a contending position.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 11-17-2008 at 10:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post

Definitely agree with jloome here. I don't give two flying fucks where they are from. I care more about getting a quality, consistant player who wants to play here without demanding DP status or close to it. Whether they're from Peru, Brazil, Africa, Japan, the moon... really is irrelevant as they all count as International anyway.
    I agree. However, I personaly would not like if we start playing the same style of footy as the rest of the MLS, it will be really discouraging for me. I simply do not like it, and I would have a hard time keeping my interest in the league. I know that most will disagree with me, but the best team game that I have seen in North American has been from the Impact, and they do not play a "latin" game, although they do have latin players.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I agree. However, I personaly would not like if we start playing the same style of footy as the rest of the MLS, it will be really discouraging for me. I simply do not like it, and I would have a hard time keeping my interest in the league. I know that most will disagree with me, but the best team game that I have seen in North American has been from the Impact, and they do not play a "latin" game, although they do have latin players.
    Stepping away from the Latin debate...the Impact is a completely different issue. While you may find it appealing, I find the Impact brand of football to be the more boring. I highly dislike it. And it sort of makes sense that you would like it as it is somewhat a watered down, poorer-man's version of the Italian catenaccio. My guess is that most Italians would approve of how Montreal plays.