Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I don't know who should start or who shouldn't. There is a reason I am not a coach, and I think most of you aren't too. So please stfu and enjoy our unbeaten streak.

Edit: yea, I know it's a internet forum and what not but some of you talk like you've coached a team to the world cup finals or something

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaicanadian View Post
    I thought I read that Mo was the one that got in touch with R-doubles agent...I saw Carver touch R-double in a fatherly kinda way as he left the field....BTW, aren't you the guy that is suggesting that we should use cost effectiveness and salary as the criteria for our starting IX LOL!
    Buddy,

Read buddy read. You did go to school LOL

What I said is that TFC plays in a salary cap league. When you sign a player you have to look at both his skills/potenial etc and what it would cost to bring him over. Yes in a salary cap world cost effectiveness and salary are an important criteria. RR at this point may be a better palyer (Some would argue otherwise), however by signing him say at $200k it has affected the whole team and possible future signings. Smith an dhis $17k is giving you a BIGGER BANG FOR THE BUCK. CAPICHE.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giambac View Post
    Buddy,

Read buddy read. You did go to school LOL

What I said is that TFC plays in a salary cap league. When you sign a player you have to look at both his skills/potenial etc and what it would cost to bring him over. Yes in a salary cap world cost effectiveness and salary are an important criteria. RR at this point may be a better palyer (Some would argue otherwise), however by signing him say at $200k it has affected the whole team and possible future signings. Smith an dhis $17k is giving you a BIGGER BANG FOR THE BUCK. CAPICHE.
    And you know that because you are Trapatoni in disguise ??
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hate agreeing with giambac because honestly he is a terrible poster and if he was against the practice of drowning puppies i would have to start considering the advantages but ricketts just isn't that great

that's not to say he isn't alright or shouldn't be starting, but he's not 'silencing doubters weekly', he hasn't silenced anything ever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joelakeshore View Post
    ^^Great breakdown jloome. As always, defensive and build up play by our midfielders and the sacrifices they make to advance position go relatively unnoticed. Maybe that's why RR is taking more flak than he deserves- people were expecting flashy attacking wing play from him, but I think his game and role so far in Carver's tactics is much more well rounded and nuanced than that, as you've shown. I think in that sense he's doing fine now, but the intricacy of these tactics and the understanding amongst the team that it requires will need more game experience to really pay dividends in attack- then people may start to stand up and take notice of his contributions.
    I am surprised by how much we seem to fall onto the defensive backfoot once we've scored, though. It's not like we lose shape because there are still counter chances and the field is packed in all the right places, so chances are, with two holding mids, it's a sensible tactic to win a lot of games 1-0.

But given our midfield, I wonder if we didn't turtle a little early against DC. It worked, for sure, but it doesn't demonstrate much offensive confidence. Perhaps we'll see more push on Saturday.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azerban View Post
    i hate agreeing with giambac because honestly he is a terrible poster and if he was against the practice of drowning puppies i would have to start considering the advantages but ricketts just isn't that great

that's not to say he isn't alright or shouldn't be starting, but he's not 'silencing doubters weekly', he hasn't silenced anything ever

I agree. He hasn't made the impact that I had hoped he would make. On the other hand, Guevara and Robert have made a bigger impact. (And Guevara and bigger impact that Robert)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azerban View Post

I love puppies.

You say I'm a terrible poster because I post my opinions. Sometimes (or most times) I come across as being strong. Thing is people like to look at players or things from one angle. I try and look at the overall picture.

People come out and say Ricketts should start because he is better than Smith and RR was a good signing becasue he can do more than Smith. I like to step back and say hold on, look at it from all angles. Sure he is better, sure he has more experience in the EPL but there was a cost in getting that here. My view or point is was it worth it? People can't see the big picture and get pissed off becasue I say I don't like him as a player. Doesn't mean I'm not a TFC fan. I prefer Smith to Ricketts. Others don't like Smith as much. Are they being disloyal to the team.? Some people like apples, some like oranges.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one thing to keep in mind, when Smith came in DC was pushing hard and players were tired, Smith had more room because of those 2 factors, if you watch the game again you'll see Rohan and Robert getting double teamed in the first half while Todd and Smith got a lot of room near the end of the game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nimamalek View Post
    one thing to keep in mind, when Smith came in DC was pushing hard and players were tired, Smith had more room because of those 2 factors, if you watch the game again you'll see Rohan and Robert getting double teamed in the first half while Todd and Smith got a lot of room near the end of the game
    double teamed? this isnt basketball..

Ricketts held the ball too long allowing the second defender to come in on him.. thats when you pass and make a run.. he didint do much except hussle back to defend which anyone can do..

the boy has to get a bit aggressive and realize this isnt league two football.. gotta bring his A game next time out.. even his B game should be enough..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Jarrod Smith needs to start ahead of Rohan Ricketts in the next game

QFT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Limani_Ole View Post
    double teamed? this isnt basketball..

Ricketts held the ball too long allowing the second defender to come in on him.. thats when you pass and make a run.. he didint do much except hussle back to defend which anyone can do..

the boy has to get a bit aggressive and realize this isnt league two football.. gotta bring his A game next time out.. even his B game should be enough..
    Uh, Limani, people do double-team in soccer. It's not a suggestion, it's reality. And the reason you don't see him overlapping on the left side is because they're trying to keep defensive shape, and with Robert on the right side being a strictly attacking player, the left side has to compensate by dropping back slightly and playing defensively.

This doesn't happen on the other side because the speed of Wynne and Rickett's dribbling skills combine to leave TFC permanently forward on both wings and recessed in the centre of the field instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I think Carver sees two benefits: One, teams saw how we played against KC and RSL and think they need to ensure that the Ricketts-Wynne overlap doesn't kill them all game, so as long as he leaves Ricketts on the right, he'll probably be double-teamed.

Teams WON'T double team Robert on that side becuase the assumption is that, with a historically noted much stronger left foot, he's much less likely to play the overlap with Wynne, which is tough to defend when you've got DD in the box waiting for crosses, and more likely to cut inside, where they have more defenders.

Carver's second reason, however, is that he recognizes something these coaches don't: letting Robert cut inside opens up shooting room for him, inswinging cross room for him, and central channels for Guevara and Edu to run into when a central player drifts left to cover Robert (his left, TFC's right).

The trouble is, with Robert more likely to be the dominating player, that forces Ricketts to play on the drop-back mid side with Brenna, where they'll typically be 15 yards behind the play to compensate in defensive zone coverage for the right flank being advanced. That's not typically his role, although you'll also note going over the video that in both of the last two games, he has tracked all the way back to the byline to cover a winger trying to break loose, so he's certainly working.

And on the odd occasion that he has gotten a ball up the left side, Ricketts has drawn two men again, leaving brennan to move to the top of the box for a run or cross.

All of these scenarios have taken place several times in both of the last two games, so that's my take.

Now this was my sentiments EXACTLY!!!!

YOU MY FRIEND KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT!!!

Some people just don't have the eye for footy intelligence(i.e. Giambac!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giambac View Post
    I love puppies.

You say I'm a terrible poster because I post my opinions. Sometimes (or most times) I come across as being strong. Thing is people like to look at players or things from one angle. I try and look at the overall picture.

People come out and say Ricketts should start because he is better than Smith and RR was a good signing becasue he can do more than Smith. I like to step back and say hold on, look at it from all angles. Sure he is better, sure he has more experience in the EPL but there was a cost in getting that here. My view or point is was it worth it? People can't see the big picture and get pissed off becasue I say I don't like him as a player. Doesn't mean I'm not a TFC fan. I prefer Smith to Ricketts. Others don't like Smith as much. Are they being disloyal to the team.? Some people like apples, some like oranges.

The BIG PICTURE is handled by JOHN CARVER!!! Not YOU!!!!

Carver will be making those decisions, and he is much more qualified then you are!! Carver said he will start his BEST XI! Thats why Ricketts is starting!

Beauty is found in the details, listen to myself and JLoome, and you might be inclined to look a little bit closer!, who knows maybe you will open up to the tactics that are present on the pitch!

Always remember that Carver is dictating the system and the tactics! AlWAYS!!! Carver controls the system, style of play and how players are utilized. If you watch Carver/Robert and Ricketts a lot closer you will see that Carver starts Ricketts on his natural position on the right, once Carver gets a feel for what type of defensive style DC was playing and how they were matching up with Robert and Ricketts on the wings deep in the opposition zone, thats when you can see Carver signal with his hands in a circular crossing motion, telling ricketts and robert to switch it up! Once Carver does that, it means he's looking for more dangerous balls and threat to come from ROBERT and GUEVARA!! You think opposition teams don't know of the threat that Wynne and Ricketts could pose to them!?!?!?!?! Jesus, opposition teams are not that STUPID! if they didn't crowd Ricketts immediately with 2 defenders they would be FUCKED! because with Ricketts and Wynne playing the overlap on the right hand side, that would still leave ROBERT and GUEVARA to create deadly chances just outside of the box! So opposition teams have to PICK their poison in the midfield, thats why they take away the Ricketts/Wynne overlap right away, forcing CARVER to switch the natural positions of both wingers.

Also if you watch Ricketts with a bit more of a close eye, which i did from Sec.121 Row 1(can't get any closer) Watch what JLoome was talking about earlier and how Ricketts tracks back deep to the byline sometimes and breaks up the run of play or takes the ball away completely. And yes, it's very very true that currently Ricketts is attracting 2 defenders on him! But he very rarely loses possession he always finds an open man to pass too.