Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hume signing would've been a mistake

I like the kid and everything -- and that cheap shot was truly horrific -- but we're talking about a 1-goal-in-four-games striker throughout his career in the Coca Cola Championship, a league that's roughly only marginally better than MLS.

I would expect we'd be looking more for a natural predator, an Angel or Blanco type who can create goals from nothing. Does this potential selection worry anyone else or was Mo onto something?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as a DP yes, possibly only because of the striker he is, we need a poacher, even one thats past his "best years" (a la Angel)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I like the kid and everything -- and that cheap shot was truly horrific -- but we're talking about a 1-goal-in-four-games striker throughout his career in the Coca Cola Championship, a league that's roughly only marginally better than MLS.

I would expect we'd be looking more for a natural predator, an Angel or Blanco type who can create goals from nothing. Does this potential selection worry anyone else or was Mo onto something?
    Hume's not a pure striker. He moves around a lot. He's been used mostly in midfield by Canada. Looking at goal totals is a mistake. He's a ball-winning, intimidating presence, and a terrific distributor.

The Championship has a lot of players like Hume - younger guys who, if they catch a break (either by standing out, or via team promotion), can make it to the premiership, and see their salary go from GBP 300-500K to GBP 1 MM+. Players like Hume would normally not come to MLS (or any secondary league) at this stage of their careers, as they're not willing to give up the EPL dream forever by doing so (unlike Dichio or Robinson, who knew they were finished at that level when they came over).

Hume can play for my team any day. Don't get me wrong, I'd take an Angel too, but this guy is no slouch.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-11-2008 at 11:00 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing is I think they are looking at using their DP slots differently.
    They have seen what the big money signing can do.

Hume would make more then 250,000 or whatever, but not ridiculous amounts of money. It wouldn't throw off the balance and I think it would help build up the core of the team better.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hume would rip apart this league in my opinion. Obviously, there are better candidates out there for our designated player, but he is just the type of player we need. He gives it his all for 90 minutes, he causes havoc for defenders with his tenacity, he has quite a bit of pace, and he is a good finisher. Hume would be a top striker in the MLS.

Would I have been ecstatic if he had been our DP? No, however he would have made a significant impact on our team. He also only has the potential to improve, and he would give us numerous years of production. I think Hume seems to get a bad rep in Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 125_TFC View Post
    Hume would rip apart this league in my opinion. Obviously, there are better candidates out there for our designated player, but he is just the type of player we need. He gives it his all for 90 minutes, he causes havoc for defenders with his tenacity, he has quite a bit of pace, and he is a good finisher. Hume would be a top striker in the MLS.

Would I have been ecstatic if he had been our DP? No, however he would have made a significant impact on our team. He also only has the potential to improve, and he would give us numerous years of production. I think Hume seems to get a bad rep in Canada.
    I think you misunderstand me, dude. I think he's a great player. But he's a hole player, an attacking centre forward, not a striker. WE need goals, not another guevara.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I sorta agree with what you're saying about Hume, I think you must understand that the CCC is miles ahead of MLS in terms of talent.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There could be a titch of homerism going on here... Though Hume has energy and talent, I don't really believe he would be a world beater in the MLS. As I said in a post lost somewhere else, Hume was just transferred from a relegated club to a club which will be battling relegation all season. I do like Hume's diligence and drive, but is he really worth the venerable DP status.

I guess I think of it this way, if we are looking at an impact DP and are considering total expendature, would it not make sense to go far and beyond the $400,000 cap allowance. Why spend let's say (example) $600,000 when you could spend 3MM and possibly garner a better player who also fits the bill of youth and energy. Also as has been mentioned Hume is not an out-and-out scorer, and this is what TFC desperately needs. I think a DP would have the most impact at the AMC and FC positions, I know these are Hume's positions, but will he make that level of impact. I'm a nationalist at heart, but I would like the team to succeed at all cost... Not a limited one. Just my thoughts anyway.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People might just be hung up on the "Canadian DP" statement.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK maybe there's been too many "trade everyone for DeRo" posts on here, but now I think there's been an over-reaction and there's way, way too much "let's not get over excited about Canadian players, I don't care where they come from" on this board.

1) We have roster limitations that make quality Canadian content valuable.
    2) Getting quality internationals to come to live in Toronto/Canada is a challenge. You seriously think Del Piero would choose Toronto over NY?
    3) I connect more to Canadian players. Same as most people in Canada
    Last edited by ensco; 11-12-2008 at 08:26 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you misunderstand me, dude. I think he's a great player. But he's a hole player, an attacking centre forward, not a striker. WE need goals, not another guevara.
    Yes, Hume may not usually be used and a "striker" all the time, but he's shown that he can continually put the ball in the back of the net. The fact that he is not an all out striker, only gives more value to his goals. I fully believe that if Hume were to be used as our primary striker, then he would have a very good strike rate. Hume has a very good shot, he's good off the ball and he is a good finisher. At the club level Hume has been used as a striker and he has found a great deal of success when he has been placed directly up front.

Now, do I think Hume is our best option? No, obviously not. He isn't a clinical finisher like Angel. However, Hume would have had enough of an impact here to be a DP worthy player in my opinion. But that's just my opinion.

olegunnar

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    3) I connect more to Canadian players. Same as most people in Canada
    The way he works his tail off and takes on all comers Hume would be a mini Dichio, in terms of a cult following.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just thought Hume was to young to give up on Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Durrrr....

CCC >>>>> MLS
    Look at Robinson, Dichio, RICKETTS if you don't believe me, guys who were bench players (Dichio, Ricketts) or below average (Robinson) there

AND HUME ISN'T a striker!! Hasn't been for years! He was a striker at the end of the last year when he lit it up, but usually plays winger or attacking mid. I don't think Barnsley just spent their record transfer fee on a 0.25 goal/game striker.

Ever seen Hume play even? He scores crazy goals! I think he might have won goal of the season already with his unreal volley vs. Derby. So yes he does create something from nothing, all his goals are basically cracking goals. Set pieces, 25 yard volleys or just screamers from outside the area.

There is a reason he is so highly rated in the CCC (he isnt a 0.25 goal a game striker) more like a winger/attacking mid who scores cracking goals and can take penalties and free kicks.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that I'd like to see us sign a poacher type player, but the CCC is WAY ahead of MLS, by a big distance. The top teams in the CCC go up to the Premiership and often do fairly well by getting to mid table (look at Hull now, for example, and the likes of reading when they first went up). Plus the likes of Huckerby were totally washed up in the CCC and he set SJ on fire when he joined MLS. Ricketts couldn't even get signed by a CCC team, nevermind play for one, and he looks quite good in MLS.

If you watch any CCC games then you'll see that as a league, and certainly the top end of that league, it is light years ahead of MLS. It's not even close.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
    Durrrr....

CCC >>>>> MLS
    Look at Robinson, Dichio, RICKETTS if you don't believe me, guys who were bench players (Dichio, Ricketts) or below average (Robinson) there

AND HUME ISN'T a striker!! Hasn't been for years! He was a striker at the end of the last year when he lit it up, but usually plays winger or attacking mid. I don't think Barnsley just spent their record transfer fee on a 0.25 goal/game striker.

Ever seen Hume play even? He scores crazy goals! I think he might have won goal of the season already with his unreal volley vs. Derby. So yes he does create something from nothing, all his goals are basically cracking goals. Set pieces, 25 yard volleys or just screamers from outside the area.

There is a reason he is so highly rated in the CCC (he isnt a 0.25 goal a game striker) more like a winger/attacking mid who scores cracking goals and can take penalties and free kicks.
    Why do his teams only fight relegation, and if he is a "cracking" as you suggest, my assumption is that he would be a level up or at least on a competitive club. I've watched him play numerous times and like his hustle, but your rosy Canadian glasses mute your points. If he was a highly rated as you suggest, I think teams of greater circumstance than Bransley would have come shopping when Leicester were relegated... Just a thought, I'm not a scout... Are you??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onemanbarmyarmy View Post
    People might just be hung up on the "Canadian DP" statement.
    totally.
    I highly doubt our dp, if we sign one, will be canadian
    Mo has said hed 'like' one, we'd all 'like' one
    Last edited by Ossington Mental Youth; 11-12-2008 at 11:12 AM.

Huge douchebag
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have seen Hume play many times.. I am very upset that he got injured that just plain sucks..
    But the facts are he would be no better then Chad barret
    and look at the money Iain makes overseas 2.2 million dollar contract..

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What difference does it make if our Canadian contingent includes the DP or not? NONE!!!! We need a certain amount of Canucks on the roster under MLS rules, and we'd all like to see as many Canadians doing well at TFC as possible, but to limit yourself to a Canadian player in the DP search is pointless and highly limiting.

Bring Canadian players in for sure, but when you're looking for a DP it just isn't a consideration. All the DP has to be is the best possible player we can get at the club, it's that simple.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Kingpin View Post
    Why do his teams only fight relegation, and if he is a "cracking" as you suggest, my assumption is that he would be a level up or at least on a competitive club. I've watched him play numerous times and like his hustle, but your rosy Canadian glasses mute your points. If he was a highly rated as you suggest, I think teams of greater circumstance than Bransley would have come shopping when Leicester were relegated... Just a thought, I'm not a scout... Are you??

Wait... Barnsley, you mean that lowly team that Ricketts couldn't even play on?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait... Barnsley, you mean that lowly team that Ricketts couldn't even play on?
    Yes, that team. And Rickett's isn't "tearing up" the MLS. The discussion is Hume as a DP, not whether he has some talent. It has been acknowledged that he has low level Championship talent, is that enough to take up the DP slot?? That is the key question. But good try though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Durrrr....

CCC >>>>> MLS

He was playing as a striker last year AND this year. And he started as striker. That's why I refer to him as a striker -- and his strike rate is not good.

You'll also notice if you read the entire thread that I put that poor strike rate down to the fact that naturally, he's a hole player (as he was at Tranmere and most of the time at Leicester.)

It's also simplistic -- and wrong -- to say that the CCC is way better than the MLS. The upper end teams are, the lower end teams aren't. As for Rohan Ricketts not getting a game there, he joined them injured and came in with three players fighting over his position. Beyond that, there are dozens of decent players in all four top leagues in England that "can't get a game" for no better reason that the gaffer doesn't like their attitude or they don't fit his tactical approach. It's hardly a strong condemnation or indicator of overall quality.
    Last edited by jloome; 11-12-2008 at 02:12 PM.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

venerable DP status
    I didn't know DP status was commanding respect because of its age or impressive dictionary. Step away from the thesaurus...
    ven⋅er⋅a⋅ble

 /ˈvɛnərəbəl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ven-er-uh-buhl] –adjective 1. commanding respect because of great age or impressive dignity; worthy of veneration or reverence, as because of high office or noble character: a venerable member of Congress. 2. a title for someone proclaimed by the Roman Catholic Church to have attained the first degree of sanctity or of an Anglican archdeacon. 3. (of places, buildings, etc.) hallowed by religious, historic, or other lofty associations: the venerable halls of the abbey. 4. impressive or interesting because of age, antique appearance, etc.: a venerable oak tree. 5. extremely old or obsolete; ancient: a venerable automobile. –noun

6. a venerable person.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I didn't know DP status was commanding respect because of its age or impressive dictionary. Step away from the thesaurus...
    ven⋅er⋅a⋅ble

 /ˈvɛnərəbəl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ven-er-uh-buhl] –adjective 1. commanding respect because of great age or impressive dignity; worthy of veneration or reverence, as because of high office or noble character: a venerable member of Congress. 2. a title for someone proclaimed by the Roman Catholic Church to have attained the first degree of sanctity or of an Anglican archdeacon. 3. (of places, buildings, etc.) hallowed by religious, historic, or other lofty associations: the venerable halls of the abbey. 4. impressive or interesting because of age, antique appearance, etc.: a venerable oak tree. 5. extremely old or obsolete; ancient: a venerable automobile. –noun

6. a venerable person.
    Jack.... It's not that fancy a word. Step away from the dictionary until you can comprehend that words have multiple connotations....

Take 2.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Jack.... It's not that fancy a word. Step away from the dictionary until you can comprehend that words have multiple connotations....

Take 2.

I'm well aware of what the word means. I'm also well aware that you used it in a context which, while it could apply if you decide to take the meaning of one of the sentences out of the definition, is not the context in which the term is generally used and makes you sound like a bit of a douche

It doesn't impress people when you use fancy words out of context. Hence the advice to step away from the thesaurus and speak like a normal person.

Huge douchebag
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm well aware of what the word means. I'm also well aware that you used it in a context which, while it could apply if you decide to take the meaning of one of the sentences out of the definition, is not the context in which the term is generally used and makes you sound like a bit of a douche

It doesn't impress people when you use fancy words out of context. Hence the advice to step away from the thesaurus and speak like a normal person.

Jack don't take this the wrong way .. You are not Barack Obama , you don't need to sound soo smart all the time and soo witty with all your comebacks ..
    Kingpin knows how to roll .. You seem to react a bit more then proact..
    chill out everybody loves you don't try to out do Kingpin its not becoming..

just my thoughts

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcnorth7 View Post
    Jack don't take this the wrong way .. You are not Barack Obama , you don't need to sound soo smart all the time and soo witty with all your comebacks ..
    Kingpin knows how to roll .. You seem to react a bit more then proact..
    chill out everybody loves you don't try to out do Kingpin its not becoming..

just my thoughts
    Sorry, I'm just giving my friend Patrick some friendly advice.

We do bust each others balls on occasion, as friends do. Pat needs to have his head deflated sometimes, or he can't fit through the door.

Not sure what you mean by "react a bit more than proact", to be honest.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

boom!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread has turned into TEH LOLZ.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There could be a titch of homerism going on here...

someone was miming a scene from one of Homer's classic Greek Epics?
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\