Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a critic of Dichio, but I am a critic of him in that position. I understand we're playing it tight but were putting alot of stress on our defenders. Dichio is doing well, but IMO he needs a strike partner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm as big a fan of DD as anyone and he was a monster tonight (from what I saw of him in the 2nd half...I missed the 1st half). But that doesn't diminsh the FACT that he's a classic 4-4-2 striker and we are not playing that system. He doesn't have the pace to stretch the D enough to open up the lanes that guys like Guevara, Robert, Edu and Ricketts need to create havoc.

I still want DD on the squad but a more complimentary striker would be preferable. Of course, that is not cunningham. I want Ameobi, like
    Last edited by VPjr; 05-22-2008 at 04:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have been unbeatean in 6 games now, and you want to change the formation? Why, we have kept our shape and because of it we have been able to defend and attack well. You are not seeing as many goals as you would have liked because, due to our style the other teams are forced to defend and to try to keep their shape, as a result there is not the ussaul 10 brakedowns a game that result in goals. The past five games have been the best overall MLS games I have seen.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it just had to happen in front of 127... during a game I had to miss due to work...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, I think a lot of you are missing something. When has Dichio ever really been "alone" in front? From what I'm watching, it almost always seems as though one mid carries the ball, another will head wide, and the other supports DD. I personally LOVE having 1 striker, because it gives our midfield the flexibility to push forward with less risk of getting caught upfield.

By the way have you noticed we haven't LOST since using one striker?!?! Why the hell would Carver change?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can tell he plays better when it's not so hot. personally I'd rest Edu and run a 4-4-2 to help him out, but we're unbeaten in 6 so.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think he is shit. Sorry.
    He scored last night. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    The number of times we put a ball across the face of goal only to see Danny lumber forward 10 minutes late was embarrassing.
    Another striker is needed, pronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 125_TFC View Post
    Dichio needs to play next to a smaller striker, and not have the duties of running onto Guevara's through balls. Guevara needs to have the ability to send his striker forward, and Dichio cannot do that. Dichio is not a finisher, he is a great target man who can control the pace of play and physically wear down defenders. However if we are going to be a contender in this league, we need to have a finisher up front; Dichio is not a finisher.

He's still an integral part to our team, I'm not downplaying that. I'm just saying that Dichio would be much more effective if he was not relied on as the goalscorer.
    Aside from being smaller, I think we just need a natural finisher.

To be honest, I actually would like to see Jarrod Smith play up front with Dichio and have Guevara play behind the two of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    Guys, I think a lot of you are missing something. When has Dichio ever really been "alone" in front? From what I'm watching, it almost always seems as though one mid carries the ball, another will head wide, and the other supports DD. I personally LOVE having 1 striker, because it gives our midfield the flexibility to push forward with less risk of getting caught upfield.

By the way have you noticed we haven't LOST since using one striker?!?! Why the hell would Carver change?
    Have you noticed our inability to SCORE multiple goals per game?

Look, if we want to actually compete regularily in this league we need a finisher.

Dichio has played in 8 games this year, and only had 5 shots total, with two on net that went in.

Look at Moreno at Columbus with the same amount of games played. 10 shots, 6 on goal, 4 goals, 3 assists. THIS is what we need.

Altidore with the same amount of goals, 10 shots, 5 on target. We NEED to create more shots from our strikers, more CHANCES from our strikers. This isn't happening for the most part. Which is why IMO we need a natural finisher. Someone who isn't afraid to take a defender on and blast a shot on net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneLoveOneEric View Post
    I still think he is shit. Sorry.
    He scored last night. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    The number of times we put a ball across the face of goal only to see Danny lumber forward 10 minutes late was embarrassing.
    Another striker is needed, pronto.
    I think you should consider following another sport. This one appears to be too complicated for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    Look, if we want to actually compete regularily in this league we need a finisher.
    Dichio has played in 8 games this year, and only had 5 shots total, with two on net that went in.
    Look at Moreno at Columbus with the same amount of games played. 10 shots, 6 on goal, 4 goals, 3 assists. THIS is what we need.
    Altidore with the same amount of goals, 10 shots, 5 on target. We NEED to create more shots from our strikers, more CHANCES from our strikers. This isn't happening for the most part. Which is why IMO we need a natural finisher. Someone who isn't afraid to take a defender on and blast a shot on net.
    Shaughno, to me that is down to Carver's tactics and formation. He seems happy to play it tight and create fewer chances while giving up fewer. He leaves DD on long after many of us would have subbed in Cunny, because Dicho's hold up play gives us chances at holding onto possession, which Cunny never does.

If you want more chances and goals, we should be playing 4-4-2, but since Carver seems to like this system, and we are grinding out results with it (which, I would have bitten my hand off for last season), I suppose we should have faith in the coach and his choices while it is working.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GaryJamboTFC View Post
    I think you should consider following another sport. This one appears to be too complicated for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GaryJamboTFC View Post

I think you should give your head a shake. Our only striker on the field, like Shaughno has said, has mustered up the heroic effort of 5 shots on goal in 8 games. That is a pathetic return. A striker's job is to score. It's actually one of the more simple aspects of the game. And if he's not going to score, he should be setting people up left, right, and centre. He hasn't done that either, as evidenced by our inability to kil opponents off or to score several goals in a game.
    I'd much rather have a speedy, dangerous striker scaring defenders than Dichio. I'd rather the defenders were scared of being scored on than scared of getting hurt.
    But it insults are all you want to add, that's cool too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Dichio is more a centre forward than an out and out striker anyways. In that description is role is not always solely to score goals, especially with our formation, because now TFC along with Dichio, has the attacking mids who can also put the ball in the net.
    Moreno is a smallish striker who probably wouldn't fit into our system well.
    And Altiwhore, while indeed talented, but do er all have to be reminded.....
    JOZY'S A GIIIIIIIIRL'S NAME!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So basically you're saying you're OK with playing without someone who can genuinely create chances on goal from up front?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I said before, I love the game that we are playing, one that minimizes the over teams chances. In that type of game you simply need to ensure that you take advantage of the chances you have, and that you are able to score from corners and free kicks. We have been able to do this and we have won. We do not need to score multiple goals to win, that is the point. Moreno and the overs have that many goals because other teams in the MLS play a relatively a open game in which chances are constantly created due to defensive mistakes. Right now we are playing a supperior type of footy one that will see us to well in the MLS if we keep it up. Dichio may not have many shots but he knows how to put them in when he has a chance, he will have 10 by the end of the year. I am never against upgrading any position if possible, but I am happy with Danny. I am very happy with the formation/system, it is what I was hoping to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurignano View Post
    I still think we need a new striker.
    I think we need a new striker, but when we get one we will play with two; and change our formation. With Mr.Ricketts and Smith coming off the bench.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    One word for Dichio tonight...BOSS!
    Yes, Flush...his critics are very silent tonight...what a goal, he's all heart!

not really he's slow looks like a car going down a street the wrong way, did get the goal but....Cunny should be in there..

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we win 1-0 most games & tie several other most games, yeah, we're in the play=offs, yeah we're playing a system that works.

If & when we get a genuine scoring machine, then I'm sure JC will change tactic's to suit.

He's cutting his suit with the cloth he's been given

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    not really he's slow looks like a car going down a street the wrong way, did get the goal but....Cunny should be in there..
    Cunny should be in another city, he brings nothing to this team, NOTHING.

Carver knows this, hence his bum on the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhoybobby View Post
    If we win 1-0 most games & tie several other most games, yeah, we're in the play=offs, yeah we're playing a system that works.

If & when we get a genuine scoring machine, then I'm sure JC will change tactic's to suit.

He's cutting his suit with the cloth he's been given
    Agree 100%. I'm worried that this system won't hold up all season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurignano View Post
    I still think we need a new striker.
    Dichio is a centre-forward.

He played the part very well last night.

But yes, we do need a striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    As I said before, I love the game that we are playing, one that minimizes the over teams chances. In that type of game you simply need to ensure that you take advantage of the chances you have, and that you are able to score from corners and free kicks. We have been able to do this and we have won. We do not need to score multiple goals to win, that is the point. Moreno and the overs have that many goals because other teams in the MLS play a relatively a open game in which chances are constantly created due to defensive mistakes. Right now we are playing a supperior type of footy one that will see us to well in the MLS if we keep it up. Dichio may not have many shots but he knows how to put them in when he has a chance, he will have 10 by the end of the year. I am never against upgrading any position if possible, but I am happy with Danny. I am very happy with the formation/system, it is what I was hoping to see.
    Trane, I don't think that this strategy really is part of the Danny issue, though. I agree that playing a more defensive approach in MLS is the way to go, because teams don't expect it, and because most teams in this league have shit defenses of their own. But Danny isn't really necessary for this to be successful. Our back 4 are solid, Robbo is solid, and the other attacking players seem to have bought in to the system well. Replace Danny with a striker that can score, and more is added to the system. It takes pressure off the defense, and allows us to defend a higher line, which is something that IMO we aren't very good at.

And for those who talk about how wonderful Danny is at "the little things", I've never sat in the pub and reminisced about what striker in history was the best at flicking the ball sideways with his head. We talk about the ones that scored goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoughno, I think a genuine scoring machine, can score in the system that we have the striker is supported on the attack by what amounts to three attacking mids. He would have enough oppotunites, on the counter. I agree that this is Dichio's weakness, in that his lack of pace creates less opportunties that the system would otherwise create on the counter , seeing that we have quick and active attacking mids. I just think Dichio does well with what he has and he contributes with his passing aswell. In some way I think that Guevarra has not made enough of his opportunities either. But I do think that will come with time.
    Last edited by trane; 05-22-2008 at 08:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So basically you're saying you're OK with playing without someone who can genuinely create chances on goal from up front?
    No no, I'm saying we don't need only ONE player to do this because now we have 3 or 4 who can score at any given time. Any one of Dichio, Robert, or Guevara have a nose for the net, and not many teams can say they have three like that. We don't have to rely just on Dichio anymore, but at the same time he is needed to hold the ball for attacking mids, then to make the run towards goal himself which he almost always has done this year. This team is playing very well with eachother now, more goals will come....they're playing too well for them not to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneLoveOneEric View Post
    Trane, I don't think that this strategy really is part of the Danny issue, though. I agree that playing a more defensive approach in MLS is the way to go, because teams don't expect it, and because most teams in this league have shit defenses of their own. But Danny isn't really necessary for this to be successful. Our back 4 are solid, Robbo is solid, and the other attacking players seem to have bought in to the system well. Replace Danny with a striker that can score, and more is added to the system. It takes pressure off the defense, and allows us to defend a higher line, which is something that IMO we aren't very good at.

And for those who talk about how wonderful Danny is at "the little things", I've never sat in the pub and reminisced about what striker in history was the best at flicking the ball sideways with his head. We talk about the ones that scored goals.
    I cannot disagree.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

?And for those who talk about how wonderful Danny is at "the little things", I've never sat in the pub and reminisced about what striker in history was the best at flicking the ball sideways with his head. We talk about the ones that scored goals."

You must sit in pubs talking about Cunningham then. lol

DD brings a lot to the table:

Ariel threat, if the ball"s to his noggin he usually wins it

Passing, superb ist touch, brings other into the game, his one two's with Guevera were great.

Can play both ends of the field, kinda reminds me of Chris Sutton in that regard. He spent a fair bit of time defending in our box last night.

You're missing a lot, or just not seeing it. That's o.k, no crime there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see it, Bobby. I just don't value it the way you do.
    And that's also OK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    Oh yeah, Cunny would've really given the second effort Dichio did on the goal right?....and I'm sure Cunny would've been IN HIS OWN 6 YARD BOX to stop a goal too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need 4-4-2 standard English formation. We can't expect Dichio to pull that off every game.