Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Michael Owen - Are we in the running? (pure speculation)

In January 2009, Michael Owen is free to move away from St. James' Park. A number of teams are rumoured to be interested in him, most prominently Chelsea.

Are we in the running for the 28-year-old striker? Should we be?

Owen has recently fallen out of favour with England manager Fabio Capello, who's recently been running a 4-5-1 with Wayne Rooney as the lone striker, so a move away from England isn't entirely off the books.

For the right offer, would he consider moving here? We do have the Magpies connection, after all...though Owen never played under Carver (who left Newcastle the year before Owen arrived).

As I see it, he's scored nearly one goal in every two games he plays in arguably the top 2 leagues in the world (and at the international level). And he's 28...hardly over-the-hill. There are at least 4 or 5 years left in those legs if he stays healthy.

This is the kind of player we've been begging for as a DP, isn't it? Someone who's prolific and who isn't considered "old" by football standards.

So really, I have two questions for you.

1. Should we throw our names into the Michael Owen lottery hat?
    2. Would he even consider a move to Toronto?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An answer in one word:
    No.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very insightful.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With his history of injuries, coming to BMO Field would have to be a real objection that I don't think can be overcome.

Healthy players are turning us down. Injury-prone players must be frightened out of their socks to come here.

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are few players in the world I'd take over Owen. He's a top level goal scorer and has been cosistently for a decade, without any real dips in form. The problem with Owen is injuries and while the MLS would give him less overall wear and tear, the field turf would make this deal an impossibility. We would have to pay him a high level DP salary as well but that's neither here nor there. I'd love it, it wont happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if he has fallen out of favour with Capello - he won't give up on that and make the situation worse by coming to North America. Look at what Capello said about Becks playing here.

Fieldturf would have to become grass and salary would need to be astonomical before he would even consider this.

My answer in five words: not a chance in hell.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    thats not to mention that there are prob quite a few premier league teams, and im sure a ton of championship teams that would sign him given the chance

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The England squad has younger and better strikers for years to come. Owen will be a bench/sub at best.

It's a long shot but Owen would look phenomenal in a TFC shirt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

England will play 4-4-2...in the last game Capello went with 4-5-1 and they didn't score in the first half. In the second half he went back to 4-4-2 and they scored 5 goals. I don't know if Owen will be Rooney's strike partner (Dafoe has played well this season) but there will be more opportunities for strikers to play for England.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stop it. Why is every washed up/oft-injured European automatically a TFC possibility?

No, don't get him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's a TFC possibility because of his strong connection with Carver, and the fact that his salary runs out at the end of the season.

To say that you don't want Michael Owen is possibly one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Having said that, I agree that there is little to no possibility of him coming here in the near future because he's still got a lot left, although he's not starting on the England National team, he's on the cusp, and an increase in form will likely return him to their ranks.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC USA View Post
    Stop it. Why is every washed up/oft-injured European automatically a TFC possibility?

No, don't get him.
    Because up and coming stars are out of the question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i find it funny how people are always crying for a DP, and then when a guy who has 152 goals in 300 games at the highest levels, it's like "NO!"

give me a break. TFC would be LUCKY to get Michael Owen. the type of player we're gonna get as a DP in no way will be 28 years old with almost 200 goals in 400 games at the highest levels.

the injury thing is a red herring. Field turf doesn't cause more injuries than grass (look up the scientific studies for factual proof), and they could just have a grass practice field somewhere or do what San jose did -- don't have the guy practice on fieldturf, if the "fieldturf superstition" is a problem getting him over here. Plus, Paul Winsper seemed to do a pretty damn good job.
    Last edited by rocker; 11-08-2008 at 12:41 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My old boss (being a footy fan since birth) said to me one day:

"One day Michael Owen will be in a TFC shirt. I don't know exactly when but he'll be here."

I liked the idea then and I like the idea now. I am not one to speculate on the possibility of it happening but if this is at all a possibility I think the team would do well to explore any and all options in regards to Michael Owen. Oh and Ricketts might get a bit of a payday out of him when he comes to claim his #10
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    i find it funny how people are always crying for a DP, and then when a guy who has 152 goals in 300 games at the highest levels, it's like "NO!"

give me a break. TFC would be LUCKY to get Michael Owen. the type of player we're gonna get as a DP in no way will be 28 years old with almost 200 goals in 400 games at the highest levels.

the injury thing is a red herring. Field turf doesn't cause more injuries than grass (look up the scientific studies for factual proof), and they could just have a grass practice field somewhere or do what San jose did -- don't have the guy practice on fieldturf, if the "fieldturf superstition" is a problem getting him over here. Plus, Paul Winsper seemed to do a pretty damn good job.
    Lots of ifs in there amigo...at the end of the day whether or not footballers perception of field turf is justified or not, they are not changing their minds.

That being said, I would love to see Owen over here. However, we'd have to pay some good coin for him. I wonder if perhaps there is more judicious use of that kind of money on someone who may not be as injury prone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is probable. With Carvers Newcastle connection there may be a chance to land Owen. He would be great to come over here and play for TFC. I would love to see it. Injurys would be my main concern when it comes to him. He would look great in the jersey though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michael Owen has been one of my favourite players since I can remember... I would die and go to heaven if this was true!
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets see....

1) We would need to get grass in order for Owen to say "yes".

2) We would need to pay him somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 million a year, which is fine by me.

3) Also he would probably be looking for additional marketing/sponsership opportunities on top of the salary.

If we can "show him the money" then i don't see any reason why he would say no. Remember one thing, CASH IS KING! Money Talks and Money Walks.

We all know that if Owen stays in the Premiership that he is going to get injured big time AGAIN!, you can put money on that!.

YEAY! alright so....We're getting Owen!!! SWEET BABY JESUS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Del Piero's 2 Goals vs. Real Madrid = Time to Start a New DP Rumour.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, don't get him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

serious? this would blow my mind if it happened. but it wont. why would you come here when you can be playing in the champion's league? goodness knows rafa has tossed liverpool into the hat, and a return to anfield would always be welcome by the kop. chelsea are also 'chasing' him and the magpies seem like they might want to keep him. no way this will happen

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    Michael Owen has been one of my favourite players since I can remember... I would die and go to heaven if this was true!

I'm a huge Owen fan myself. I bought my boots because it's the kind that he wears!!!

If he does come here, I only see it being for a year to regain his form before heading back to England. And that year would have to be the one coming up and then head back to England before the WC team is selected and starts.

The advantage for him coming here would be he would be in season form for the Summer qualifiers. And if he's doing well enough, Capello would definatly get him on the squad. He's got Paul Winsper and John Carver here and those two guys could be the keys he needs to becoming the force he once was both physically and mentally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by graeme117 View Post
    no way this will happen
    Realistic or not, should we not at least make it known that we want to land a big-name player? One who still has the potential to play at some of the top clubs in the game?

Shouldn't we at least put a serious bid in with his agent? It might be chasing rainbows, but at least it'd show that Mo's serious about bringing in top talent.

And Chevy, let me be clear...I am in no way starting a rumour here. I'm simply asking people to speculate on the possibility of TFC chasing a player like Owen.

That said, if we do end up getting Owen, I'm taking full credit for starting the rumour mill turning.
    Last edited by James Oliphant; 11-08-2008 at 03:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought chasing Shola Ameobi was too ambitious for TFC ... Owen is no doubt beyond our reach. There is no way he'll come here for anything less than twice the amount of money anyone else is willing to offer him in Europe.

Should we make him an offer? No doubt in my mind. He's exactly the kind of player we absolutely NEED.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Owen is only free to leave like any other player in january - he isnt out of contract so is not available on a free - so if chelski are rumoured to pay 5m uk for him thats at least $10m can transfer fee plus if he is on 100,000 grand a week uk at newcastle thats over $10,000,000m canadian a year salary! i think that pretty much ends that possibility.
    Last edited by Fergy; 11-08-2008 at 05:12 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will not happen.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    Realistic or not, should we not at least make it known that we want to land a big-name player? One who still has the potential to play at some of the top clubs in the game?

Shouldn't we at least put a serious bid in with his agent? It might be chasing rainbows, but at least it'd show that Mo's serious about bringing in top talent.

And Chevy, let me be clear...I am in no way starting a rumour here. I'm simply asking people to speculate on the possibility of TFC chasing a player like Owen.

That said, if we do end up getting Owen, I'm taking full credit for starting the rumour mill turning.
    no doubt we should chase quality players, but i still stand by my bleak assessment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    Del Piero's 2 Goals vs. Real Madrid = Time to Start a New DP Rumour.
    lol...that being the operative word. pure speculation huh!?...i think that goes without saying on this board

however, not to be a total douche, i will offer my opinion only to say that i would welcome a player of his status here as our DP..for whatever reason, i feel that he would be a good fit here in T.O.

peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, don't get him.
    washed up? come on man.... have u seen him this year?

$$$ is why we wont get him. plus i doubt he'd want to play on turf. i can see the injuries happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, his present salary is 165,000 pounds a week, which is about $300,000. Per week. And chelsea is apparently interested at 6.5 million pounds in the new year.

He's not coming to MLS anytime soon. No one can afford the wage without a beckham-esque $200M in guaranteed endorsements, which given his injury record and relative lack of public persona (relative to Beckham, that is) that would never happen.