Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fiore to TFC: Revisited?

I don't know if it's just the January rumour that has boomeranged around or if there is genuinely renewed interest in the guy.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=946958

I don't know what to think about Stefano Fiore. On one side, Mantova (Serie B) just released him but on another, surprise Champions League package CFR Cluj are interested. And they've performed very well against in their group against Chelsea, Roma and Bordeaux.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I checked Wikipedia (like we always do) I noticed that there is a line which states he's been linked with us. I looked into the the page history to see if that is recent or not, and the addition was made on 28 January. In short, not new. So where did the inspiration from the article come from? Or was it shoddy journalism on goal.com's part to just look up Wikipedia and include an old rumour with no source?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ldid=183629667

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fiore has some quality. He may be a good signing but certainly not a DP. Solidify our midfield some more. Would be welcome in my eyes, but we realy need help at CB and striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know Fiore's recent form, but he was a fantastic player in his day. Agree with Trane that I don't think he should be DP worthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That is what my doubt comes from , in his prime I would be over this, but he is 33 and has jumped from club to club. So it is hard to tell how much is left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The real question is why did his last club terminate the contract after one season? I mean if he was still playing 'well' by a Serie B standard mid table club, you would think there would be at least SOME interest in him, no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beat me to it.. I posted this in the news thread not realizing it was up.

Im not pretty cold on the idea of Fiore. Accomplishments aside I have a feeling we'd be getting into another Laurent Robert as his Lazio and Udinese (sp?) days are long over.

I'm seeing a few articles out there linking Del Piero to TFC. I'm certain it will not happen, but does anyone know where this is coming from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post

I'm seeing a few articles out there linking Del Piero to TFC. I'm certain it will not happen, but does anyone know where this is coming from?
    I think it was a tip to MLSR which I then started a thread about here to discuss it. It may have snowballed and been picked up elsewhere as a result. Or these steps could have ocurred in a different order...

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol this is on mls-rumors.net... do they get all of their info from this site?

I_AM_CANADIAN

I'll take any ex-Udinese players... Though Fiore's definitely not DP material anymore. He has a lot of creative attacking flair though, would be useful as a depth player, someone to fill in for Guevara when he's away or injured.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see Fiore wanting to come here to sit on a bench for when 'Guevara isn't here'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damiiano View Post
    lol this is on mls-rumors.net... do they get all of their info from this site?
    Actually no, I put the goal.com link here instead of linking to MLSR. That was where I actually saw it first.

I_AM_CANADIAN

Good point... Very good point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    Actually no, I put the goal.com link here instead of linking to MLSR. That was where I actually saw it first.
    I think he meant, "Does MLS Rumors get all their info from our forum?"

About Fiore, he'd be great for Toronto FC, but I don't think any of us would choose him over DeRo or Guevara.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have welcomed him at the beginning of this season, but i think TFC can go for a better option, unless Fiore is willing to play bench warmer for very little salary. (which I doubt)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC should sign the other Italian that was in that GOAL article, Alessio Tacchinardi, him and Robbo in the middle would be amazing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tacchinardi looks like is in better form then Fiore. Shags, that is exactly my question, if he was still good enough to hold a spot for a Serie B club, I would like to see the move, not as a DP, but he could contribute, but his moving around and being cut lose after one year, makes me question his form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Tacchinardi looks like is in better form then Fiore. Shags, that is exactly my question, if he was still good enough to hold a spot for a Serie B club, I would like to see the move, not as a DP, but he could contribute, but his moving around and being cut lose after one year, makes me question his form.

The difference between the two, Tacc is still playing footy on a regular basis. No need to 'whip' him into shape. Well, that and I dunno if we need another DM at this point with Robbo doing as well as he has. Not saying I wouldn't mind him as a replacement, but I wouldn't be hunting for a DM unless Robbo really isn't staying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy just got cut from a mid-table Serie B side that mnay people haven't even heard of. I think they Fiore, "the player" has expired. I do not think he'll bring anything to this team. We'd be wasting an important int'l slot on a player who is pretty much finished...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by invictusTFC View Post
    The guy just got cut from a mid-table Serie B side that mnay people haven't even heard of. I think they Fiore, "the player" has expired. I do not think he'll bring anything to this team. We'd be wasting an important int'l slot on a player who is pretty much finished...
    Bad argument see Darren Huckerby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    The difference between the two, Tacc is still playing footy on a regular basis. No need to 'whip' him into shape. Well, that and I dunno if we need another DM at this point with Robbo doing as well as he has. Not saying I wouldn't mind him as a replacement, but I wouldn't be hunting for a DM unless Robbo really isn't staying.
    That is my thought too. You know me, I would love to play with two lock down DMs, but we do not realy need him unless Robbo is leaving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LucaGol View Post
    Agreed. One of those risks that you want to take. Countless threads on how useless he is at his age and such. He was fantastic in his first MLS season IMO. My biggest gripe with Fiore is that he would take some serious time to get back 'in the swing of things', especially at his age. Compared to a player at the same age who is playing on a regular basis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. One of those risks that you want to take. Countless threads on how useless he is at his age and such. He was fantastic in his first MLS season IMO. My biggest gripe with Fiore is that he would take some serious time to get back 'in the swing of things', especially at his age. Compared to a player at the same age who is playing on a regular basis.
    If he signed this winter though, he would have the entire pre season to train with us, and Windy would get him into shape for sure!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to worry about a player who has seemingly dissipated into the abyss and pretty quickly. He was playing for the Azzuri just 4 seasons ago, and today he is unattached. Huckerby on the other hand was still playing at a consistent level at Norwich until he got hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not have both Tacc & Robbo holding the middle with a AM in front of them! No one would get through thoses two!

I_AM_CANADIAN

^Fiore's heyday was around 2000 with Udinese, 2004 was probably the end of his international playing days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by micpar View Post
    Why not have both Tacc & Robbo holding the middle with a AM in front of them! No one would get through thoses two!
    I would love that, but that is not what Carver seems to whant, but I think that would be great, and when I think about it that is what we had when Edu was still here to DMs, two wingers and one AM. We were the strongest then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by invictusTFC View Post
    You have to worry about a player who has seemingly dissipated into the abyss and pretty quickly. He was playing for the Azzuri just 4 seasons ago, and today he is unattached. Huckerby on the other hand was still playing at a consistent level at Norwich until he got hurt.
    Let's see, Mantova in Serie B = abyss, but somehow Norwich is what ... a Champions League contender?

lulz

But whatever, that's neither here nor there ... Im not sure I want Fiore either.

I mean, how uncreative is the MLS ... there are plenty of better 26, 27 year olds who are unknown, really in all the top second divisions that could really help out teams in big ways.

These are the types of players MLS should be looking at ... not retirement age players. But of course, quality players who no one has heard of doesn't sell the game in the short term ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's see, Mantova in Serie B = abyss, but somehow Norwich is what ... a Champions League contender?

lulz

But whatever, that's neither here nor there ... Im not sure I want Fiore either.

I mean, how uncreative is the MLS ... there are plenty of better 26, 27 year olds who are unknown, really in all the top second divisions that could really help out teams in big ways.

These are the types of players MLS should be looking at ... not retirement age players. But of course, quality players who no one has heard of doesn't sell the game in the short term ...
    I'm not trying to compare Serie B to the Championship. If anything I was just trying to compare Fiore's and Huckerby's form. It just seems to me that Fiore's form has been in free fall for a few seasons now where as Huckerby was still contributing positively for Norwich. Hucks helped improve SJ this season. I think Fiore would probably be another bust here (i.e. Robert)

I agree with you that the team should be looking at players in their late 20's from Serie B and a few other secondary leagues in Europe i.e. Spanish, Portuguese, French second divisions. There is a lot of quality there that can bring a lot to the table for TFC. Furthermore, they can be had at a reasonable cost because many of those teams do not have huge budgets.
    Last edited by invictusTFC; 11-06-2008 at 09:13 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lulz

Nail on the head.