Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mo Johnston interview on TFC TV

I thought this was already posted - but I can't find it. (if someone already has this posted please merge).

Anyways, Mo was on TFC TV talking about the season and looking towards next year.

Positives include him talking about our draft picks and amount of allocation money available. The other highlight of the vid is Mo saying we should have our DP "by January or February 2009. He said they have 2 guys potentially lined up.

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/con...catid=2&id=320

This is not 100% fact, but I have a reliable source that says the 2 players in question are De Guzman and De Rosario.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If true, De Guzman would be a good choice.

DeRo is a very good player, but I'm not certain he's DP quality.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been thinking about this whole "worthy of a DP thing" and have changed my tune a bit.

I used to be of the opinion that a blockbuster DP was the only way forward. But now I look at the DP as something different. All it is (or should be) is a loophole for the team to spend as much as they want on one talented player.

If the club has the ability to sign a player that is good enough that they command a salary above what would normally be offered, then why not sign them.

If we had a choice of Henry, DeGuz or DeRo it'd be a different story - but to sit on the DP rather than signing the like of DeRo to a one year deal is wrong.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to let MLSE off the hook that easily.

We deserve a world-class player.
    If they offer DeRo, say $460,000 instead of getting Henry, I mean it's better than nothing at all (which is what we've got) but it's not really what I'm expecting when they say they're going to sign a DP. Also a $60,000 cost to MLSE (with $400k paid by the league) is small change.

Where's that "World starting XI" player that Mo was blathering about earlier?
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-30-2008 at 08:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm Mo's not wearing sunglasses.....this interview must've been done during "sober time".

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get me wrong, I think they should be bringing in someone world-class as well.

All I'm saying is that until a deal can be brokered with a top-class player, they shouldn't be wasting it, it should be used on someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I don't want to let MLSE off the hook that easily.

We deserve a world-class player.
    If they offer DeRo, say $460,000 instead of getting Henry, I mean it's better than nothing at all (which is what we've got) but it's not really what I'm expecting when they say they're going to sign a DP. Also a $60,000 cost to MLSE (with $400k paid by the league) is small change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if they got De Guzman now (when he is in his prime) I would shit myself. he would destroy this league.

regarding DeRo -- I wonder if they could get him, increase his salary, but knock it down against the cap with allocation money. Schellotto is making something like nearly a million but he doesn't count as a DP cuz they reduced his salary with allocation money.

Huge douchebag
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

signing one guy no matter who it is will not make the team that much better unless the guys around him bring the goods..

11 guys on the field last time I checked.. This whole DP thing to me is a bit of smoke and mirrors thing..

but all that said , bring on Henry .. He would help..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would die from joy if De Guzman become our DP... but... seriously? Your source says they are lining him up? He would seriously leave La Liga at 27 years old, voted MVP of his own club there, to come and play in MLS?

I just find that to be such a stretch of the imagination, that while I want to believe it, I cant. The only benefit for him would be playing in front of home crowds, but I can't imagine it's a big enough deal for him to basically end his aspirations for high-level play.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    if they got De Guzman now (when he is in his prime) I would shit myself. he would destroy this league.

regarding DeRo -- I wonder if they could get him, increase his salary, but knock it down against the cap with allocation money. Schellotto is making something like nearly a million but he doesn't count as a DP cuz they reduced his salary with allocation money.
    My thoughts exactly.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to be brutally honest..... I don't want DeRo.

why you ask?

He could have come to play for us at any point in the past two years if he wanted to. He's always said he'd like to play for Toronto later in my career. Sorry bud, but we're not going to be a retirement team in a retirement league. Now don't get me wrong, I would like to see him play for us, and I understand that leaving a Championship team for the basement of the league is a hard thing to so, but I just don't get the feeling he really wanted to be here. I want someone who wants to be here, especially if we're not talking about a world-class player like Henry or someone like that.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcnorth7 View Post
    11 guys on the field last time I checked.. This whole DP thing to me is a bit of smoke and mirrors thing..
    You're right. And if every team is spending a lot of money on a DP they've pretty much just raised the salary cap - but restricted how the teams can spend the money.

Let's hope this is just a stepping-stone to a higher salary cap that can be spread out over more players.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If MLSE is serious about TFC becoming a top side within MLS then they should be looking to get them both in. Both Canadians, both top players, both would be brilliant in this league for us, especially in front of home fans - can can you seriously imagine what the atmosphere at BMO Field would be like if we had those two lining up for us at the opening home game of 2009?!

Realisitcally it can be done, too - de Guz as the DP and de Ro on the allocation money reduction. That would also completely solve our midfield shortage.

Agree with the comment above though re de Guz not leaving La Liga to come here, it seems unlikely. And what are the chances of Houston sending us one of their best players? Again, not likely.

I would cream myself if we got these guys, but I think they fall into the same class of likelihood as Henry to be frank. Siiiiiiggggghhhhh.....
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post

why you ask?

He could have come to play for us at any point in the past two years if he wanted to. He's always said he'd like to play for Toronto later in my career. Sorry bud, but we're not going to be a retirement team in a retirement league. Now don't get me wrong, I would like to see him play for us, and I understand that leaving a Championship team for the basement of the league is a hard thing to so, but I just don't get the feeling he really wanted to be here. I want someone who wants to be here, especially if we're not talking about a world-class player like Henry or someone like that.
    Though I agree with you to an extent, I'm not entirely sure you're correct in all of your assumptions. I mean, he has always been under contract to Houston, so he couldn't go play for us whenever he wanted to. Sure, last year he could have allowed his contract to lapse (he was being paid what, 140k?) then renegotiated a deal with Toronto. Of course, that would have been taking a risk, as if he got injured, or we didn't need him, or anything else bad happened, he would have been out of luck. So, at the beginning of last year, he made the prudent call, and resigned for much more money (he has a family to think about). Also, his statements about Toronto reveal exactly nothing. Yes, he says he wants to play here later, but do you really think he could say anything else? I mean, he is currently under contract. Let's say tomorrow Ricketts, instead of saying he loves Toronto, and sure, would consider a move back to England sometime in the future, instead says "I'm just waiting for the right offer, the second a decent team in England gives me an offer, I'm out of here", would you respect that? Or, worse, what if Barrett said he'd really love to play for NY, and wants to get out of here asap, would that be cool with you?

Now, I'm not saying DeRo actually wants to come play for us. All I'm saying is that it's really difficult to know his true motivations at this time.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why you ask?

Agree with the sentiment, but the bottom line is if TFC announced his signing today, we'd all be thrilled about it. Plus it might also be a loyalty to Houston thing as much as a snub to TFC thing.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post

Now, I'm not saying DeRo actually wants to come play for us. All I'm saying is that it's really difficult to know his true motivations at this time.
    good point. It's hard to think he wouldn't want to come back and be a hometown hero, but it just seems to me like if he really wanted to make it happen, it would have been a done deal ages ago.

Plus I understand that leaving the Championship team for anyone else, especially a team as unstable as ours has been, would be a really hard decision to justify.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Sure, last year he could have allowed his contract to lapse (he was being paid what, 140k?) then renegotiated a deal with Toronto. Of course, that would have been taking a risk...
    Something like that would put him in the weakest possible negotiating position - certainly the guy has a professional agent who'd never do something like that.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why you ask?

Maybe a poor choice of wording on DeRo's behalf. He could have meant once he's accomplished what he wanted to at Houston.

Maybe if Houston's eliminated early from the playoffs this year, he may get the feeling his time is done there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My only issue with the two speculated players are that a) they a striker and an attacking midfielder, DeRo is an attacking midfielder, DeGuzman is a DM, or at very least a box to box mid and b)it just doesnt make sense that Deguzman would want to come play in the MLS, no matter how patriotic the guy is, at this point in his career.
    That being said, i guess we will find out come Nov.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or we find out Mo is just feeling us another crock of shit.

wouldn't be the first time.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or we find out Mo is just feeling us another crock of shit.

wouldn't be the first time.
    Is there anything to pin these names on Mo though? The thread opener doesn't list him anywhere as a source. If it si Mo, or anyone esle at the FO, selling us a fast one, then that's bang out of order. Those are not names ot dangle in front of the fans and then spank them really hard with. I'd be seriously pissed it that were the case.

Still, having met Canadian Bhoy a couple of times, I prefer to think this may be a possibility for now. Although I want them both. BOTH DAMMIT BOTH!!!!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    Is there anything to pin these names on Mo though?

I'm not thinking about the specific players. I'm thinking of this:

Positives include him talking about our draft picks and amount of allocation money available. The other highlight of the vid is Mo saying we should have our DP "by January or February 2009". He said they have 2 guys potentially lined up.

We've heard him lie though his teeth before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    This is not 100% fact, but I have a reliable source that says the 2 players in question are De Guzman and De Rosario.
    Paging Big Bruva...I'm sure he'd have some kind of scoop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm interested in the draft picks as it sounds like Mo is going to package Chicago's first rounder with a player for Seattle's first overall.

He also mentions that they have 2-3 players they're looking at that they've had their eye on. So, its not one of these GA's out of high school most likely unless they're are unbelievable. My suggestions: Marcus Tracy, O'Brian White, Corben Bone and Charles Renken (if he goes into the draft). If we trade with Seattle it will be be: Charles Renken 1st, O'Brian White 2nd (he has to due to international spots) and Corben Bone/Maybe Omar Gonzalez 4rth. Dan Revivo will be taken in later rounds.

As for the DP, he says he's looking at two guys (one from overseas: singular). De Guzman and DeRo could meet that mix.

I'm interested to see how he drafts. Potentially we could have O'Brian White and Marcus Tracy. Which would mean we don't need anymore forwards. Which would mean DeGuz & DeRo are fine additions

------Barrett--Tracy/White
    DeRo-DeGuz---Guevara--Ricketts
    Brennan--Robbo-Harmse?-Wynne
    ------------Sutton

Realistic? I don't know

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not thinking about the specific players. I'm thinking of this:

Positives include him talking about our draft picks and amount of allocation money available. The other highlight of the vid is Mo saying we should have our DP "by January or February 2009". He said they have 2 guys potentially lined up.

Ah yes. Now that, I grant you, is a valid concern. I'm not actually expecting a DP for next season. I don't doubt that the club are going after people (althoguh whoe xactly is anyone's guess) but whether any of those players will actually sign up is another matter. Personally I think we can expect more of the same from last season (ie, some good excitement at the signings of players like RR, Amado and - at the time - Robert, but that's about it, no major DP scoop).

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DigzTFC! View Post
    Well, I'm interested in the draft picks as it sounds like Mo is going to package Chicago's first rounder with a player for Seattle's first overall.

He also mentions that they have 2-3 players they're looking at that they've had their eye on. So, its not one of these GA's out of high school most likely unless they're are unbelievable. My suggestions: Marcus Tracy, O'Brian White, Corben Bone and Charles Renken (if he goes into the draft). If we trade with Seattle it will be be: Charles Renken 1st, O'Brian White 2nd (he has to due to international spots) and Corben Bone/Maybe Omar Gonzalez 4rth. Dan Revivo will be taken in later rounds.

As for the DP, he says he's looking at two guys (one from overseas: singular). De Guzman and DeRo could meet that mix.

I'm interested to see how he drafts. Potentially we could have O'Brian White and Marcus Tracy. Which would mean we don't need anymore forwards. Which would mean DeGuz & DeRo are fine additions

------Barrett--Tracy/White
    DeRo-DeGuz---Guevara--Ricketts
    Brennan--Robbo-Harmse?-Wynne
    ------------Sutton

Realistic? I don't know
    I think so, although not your CB pairing! Robbo will surely be kept as part of the midfield (we'll need cover, four players isn't enough). Your draft picks, plus De Ro and de Guz, plus one decent CB to go alongside Marshall/James would represent an amazing off season for us. That really would be play-offs or bust time I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does it have to be DeRo...??? I mean look, i like the guy. But DP worthy?? Nah.

I want TFC to put together a real offer to Henry! Why not try? Throw him like 4/5 million a year!

For the DP slot, I want BIG BIG Names/players...I want MLSE to throw some BIG money at it!

DeGuz? ah heck sure throw him 3/4 million a year and see if he bites...

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we really think Henry would be intrigued to play in Toronto?

Don't get me wrong, i'd love it if he came.... I just don't think he would even consider it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't trust Mo. He's been two-faced since... well we all know (and I'm not an Old Firm supporter).

Carver, on the other hand, has said the same things. Unless Mo is taking him for a ride, I would expect to see a DP signing. If not, Carver has already said he would step down. It's time for MLSE to anty up a small portion of their profits to aid the long-term future of our club.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I don't trust Mo. He's been two-faced since... well we all know (and I'm not an Old Firm supporter).
    So, do you buy what those supporters are selling, or do you have your own sources?

This board throws around words like "liar" and "two-faced" pretty loosely -- well, it is an internet sports forum, so I guess that's natural enough.