Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grade the Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, guys and gals...this could be an interesting thread...time to play armchair expert and give your grade on the players who had significant playing time this year...add players if you wish...

GK
    Greg Sutton - B+...was TFC's saving grace (pun intended) many many times this year, and made some huge saves...but also costed TFC some points...distribution is not good...6 clean sheets in 24 games.
    Brian Edwards - C+...will be a decent keeper in a couple of years...was a good replacement for Sutton when needed...needs to attack shots better (the goal in the first game v. Columbus comes to mind)...2 clean sheets in 6 games.

D
    Nana Attakora-Gyan - C...hopefully will be with TFC for a while, and can only improve...has decent speed and just needs to learn and mature...can't be too critical of a 19 year old.
    Jim Brennan - B...the captain brought it very nearly every game this year...great at bringing the ball up the left an doesn't always give the best cross, but put a couple right on Dichio's forehead (3-2 loss to DCU for example)...passionate and versatile...can play CB or LM.
    Hunter Freeman - D...came in for basically emergency reinforcement and didn't doo much of significance other than an own goal v. Houston...most likely gone in the offseason.
    Julius James - D+...very gifted physically, but a positional headache...could be a product of being a rookie, but should not have these mental breakdowns at 24...could be a good backup in the future.
    Tyrone Marshall - C-...big and strong but slow...is not usually in the spotlight which is often a good thing for a defender...has been a serviceable player for TFC, but should start being phased out of the starting lineup.
    Olivier Tebily - F...quitter..asshole
    Marco Velez - D...simple description...roller coaster...started terribly but peaked with an explosive badge-kissing goal celebration, before going back to mediocre, then terrible again...good in the air and scored a couple of goals, but is just not aware enough to be an every day MLS defender.
    Marvell Wynne - A-...irreplaceable on TFC...can do it all...make runs, pass, defend, has skill moves, and uses sprinter speed to get himself out of tough situations...once he improves his defensive positioning he will move to Europe...it'll be a sad day for TFC.

MF
    Maurice Edu - C-...followed up a great rookie season with a mediocre second season...MoJo made a great deal on his sale...5 mil robbed Rangers blind.
    Amado Guevara - B-...a great distributor of the ball and can score too...hurts TFC by missing too many games for FIFA dates (although not really his fault)...could've had a much better season statistically if half his balls weren't wasted by shitty Cunny...had great chemistry with Dichio.
    Kevin Harmse - D...spirited but reckless...a card/penalty waiting to happen...ok for depth, but must control himself of the field...a soccer player in a hockey player's body...can play CM or CB.
    Rohan Ricketts - C...came with tons of hype, but was inconsistent...followed a great game with a poor one...has great skills but needs to pick his spots better...to his defence, he's often double teamed by defenders...loves the city and the team...fan favourite...next year will be key.
    Laurent Robert - D-...also came with the hype, but hardly lived up to it...scored in his first game, but was lazy and just not interested in playing in MLS...also had many wasted balls by shitty Cunny...all he had to offer was a left foot.
    Carl Robinson - B...TFC's engine...goes all out the full 90 every game...still makes some poor passing decisions...excellent tackler...sometimes underappreciated, but showed his true worth playing his natural position this year...will be a big loss if he leaves.
    Tyler Roselund - C-...good off the bench and fills up a Canadian roster spot...solid depth player.

F/S
    Chad Barrett - B...showed great potential...hard nosed and can score...still young and will be deadly when he can improve his scoring touch...TFC was wise to lock him up long term.
    Jeff Cunningham - F...epic fail...couldn't kick a beachball into the ocean...the definition of bad luck.
    Danny Dichio - B-...left a huge void in the lineup when he had the concussion problems...always the smartest player on the field...has incredible touch for a big guy...led the team in goals despits not scoring since June 14...TFC's legend.
    Abdus Ibrahim - C+...the sky is the limit...will tear up the league when he gets a little stronger...fast and athletic.
    Carlos Ruiz - F...epic fail part 2...just leave.
    Jarrod Smith - D...showed hope with a goal early in the season v. LA, but seems to just aimlessly run around the field...bench player.
    Johann Smith - C...I really like this guy...would love to see him long term with TFC...runs right at defenders and has sick skills...needs to relax with the stepovers!

Incomplete
    Todd Dunivant - C-...season cut short due to injury...useful player...allows Brennan to move around the field to other positons.
    Tyler Hemming - D+...not given a chance under Carver...could've served useful off the bench and Canadian.

Management
    John Carver - D+...wanted to give him a C-, but TFC were outcoached in too many games this season...to his credit, he was often short-handed on players and did the best he could with what was at his disposal...has incredible passion, but sometimes doesn't know when to draw the line...next year will make or break him.
    Mo Johnston - D...just like he says, he takes 2 steps back for every 1 step forward...has one last chance to wisely use the allocaton money and bring in a DP by the start of next season...the clock is ticking on him and Carver...one more season like this and they both have to go.

Add/make comments as you wish...this should be fun! ...keep in mind, this is for the most part an OPINION thread....it is by no means the be all-end all of TFC....if you disagree, to a point there's no need to call anybody a cunt or a dummy....state your reason why you disagree and debate it....keep it above the belt people!
    Last edited by TFC Tifoso; 10-27-2008 at 08:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    Abdus Ibrahim - C+...the sky is the limit...will tear up the league when he gets a little stronger...fast and athletic.
    I disagree with this mark...

He may have had a C+ impact on the results, but for who he is he had at least a B+ season, if not an A...

He scored his first goal at 16 years old, late in a key divisional matchup when we were trailing 1-0...

He netted a late game insurance goal against NYRB during a must win game as the team pushed for the playoffs...

He settled into the city with his family, and has expressed his desire to stay with the club and city...

In the limited time on the pitch in other games he made things happen, and generated chances... All this while being a teenager against men...

In my opinion, that's a A season from the young man...

The challenge now, to grow on it next year, not take a step back (like what happened to Mo Edu)...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By my very quick count you've got:

A) 1
    B) 6
    C) 9
    D) 9
    F) 1

That's actually a pretty good curve, I would think, even if it skews towards borderline failing marks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if I would use the same criteria to grade a developmental player as a veteran player. For that reason, Ibbe warrants a higher grade, maybe even James.

Too tough on Carver. Compared with how Mo did previously, Carver ran a much better operation. The players seem to like him and thats important. The ones that didn't or didn't mesh well with his system aren't here anymore for the most part.

Of course, this is a results oriented business, so I wouldn't upgrade him that much, but some, C maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    I disagree with this mark...

He may have had a C+ impact on the results, but for who he is he had at least a B+ season, if not an A...

He scored his first goal at 16 years old, late in a key divisional matchup when we were trailing 1-0...

He netted a late game insurance goal against NYRB during a must win game as the team pushed for the playoffs...

He settled into the city with his family, and has expressed his desire to stay with the club and city...

In the limited time on the pitch in other games he made things happen, and generated chances... All this while being a teenager against men...

In my opinion, that's a A season from the young man...

The challenge now, to grow on it next year, not take a step back (like what happened to Mo Edu)...

Carts...
    Fair enough, for the most part I agree...the part I bolded is key though....he has to grow, and a result of this growth will be improvement....to grade him so highly already will just set him up for a plateau with little room to improve his grade.....I see a B range next couple of years and in the A's by early 20s....I'm thrilled to have Ibby!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disagree about Carver. I'd give him a "C," with an "A" for effort. He's just learning the league, and while no Capello, he's about average for this league. I'd agree about Mo, though. He'd better do better next year, no excuses.

It's hard to know if our poor defense was a result of poor coaching or just lousy players. I'd like to see if Limniatis would do better but we won't get the chance.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    I don't know if I would use the same criteria to grade a developmental player as a veteran player. For that reason, Ibbe warrants a higher grade, maybe even James.

Too tough on Carver. Compared with how Mo did previously, Carver ran a much better operation. The players seem to like him and thats important. The ones that didn't or didn't mesh well with his system aren't here anymore for the most part.

Of course, this is a results oriented business, so I wouldn't upgrade him that much, but some, C maybe.
    Like I said to Carts....young/developmental players are graded lower so there is room to improve the mark.

As for Carver, I really did want to give him a C grade, but TFC were just outplayed in too many matches (NYRB Aug.17 comes to mind....up a man for a while and just got their asses handed to them)....yes, he was often shorthanded, but TFC was second best tactically in too many matches...this responsibility should be on the coach.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, guys and gals...this could be an interesting thread...time to play armchair expert and give your grade on the players who had significant playing time this year...add players if you wish...

GK
    Greg Sutton - B+...was TFC's saving grace (pun intended) many many times this year, and made some huge saves...but also costed TFC some points...distribution is not good...6 clean sheets in 24 games.
    Brian Edwards - C+...will be a decent keeper in a couple of years...was a good replacement for Sutton when needed...needs to attack shots better (the goal in the first game v. Columbus comes to mind)...2 clean sheets in 6 games.

D
    Nana Attakora-Gyan - C...hopefully will be with TFC for a while, and can only improve...has decent speed and just needs to learn and mature...can't be too critical of a 19 year old.
    Jim Brennan - B...the captain brought it very nearly every game this year...great at bringing the ball up the left an doesn't always give the best cross, but put a couple right on Dichio's forehead (3-2 loss to DCU for example)...passionate and versatile...can play CB or LM.
    Hunter Freeman - D...came in for basically emergency reinforcement and didn't doo much of significance other than an own goal v. Houston...most likely gone in the offseason.
    Julius James - D+...very gifted physically, but a positional headache...could be a product of being a rookie, but should not have these mental breakdowns at 24...could be a good backup in the future.
    Tyrone Marshall - C-...big and strong but slow...is not usually in the spotlight which is often a good thing for a defender...has been a serviceable player for TFC, but should start being phased out of the starting lineup.
    Olivier Tebily - F...quitter..asshole
    Marco Velez - D...simple description...roller coaster...started terribly but peaked with an explosive badge-kissing goal celebration, before going back to mediocre, then terrible again...good in the air and scored a couple of goals, but is just not aware enough to be an every day MLS defender.
    Marvell Wynne - A-...irreplaceable on TFC...can do it all...make runs, pass, defend, has skill moves, and uses sprinter speed to get himself out of tough situations...once he improves his defensive positioning he will move to Europe...it'll be a sad day for TFC.

MF
    Maurice Edu - C-...followed up a great rookie season with a mediocre second season...MoJo made a great deal on his sale...5 mil robbed Rangers blind.
    Amado Guevara - B-...a great distributor of the ball and can score too...hurts TFC by missing too many games for FIFA dates (although not really his fault)...could've had a much better season statistically if half his balls weren't wasted by shitty Cunny...had great chemistry with Dichio.
    Kevin Harmse - D...spirited but reckless...a card/penalty waiting to happen...ok for depth, but must control himself of the field...a soccer player in a hockey player's body...can play CM or CB.
    Rohan Ricketts - C...came with tons of hype, but was inconsistent...followed a great game with a poor one...has great skills but needs to pick his spots better...to his defence, he's often double teamed by defenders...loves the city and the team...fan favourite...next year will be key.
    Laurent Robert - D-...also came with the hype, but hardly lived up to it...scored in his first game, but was lazy and just not interested in playing in MLS...also had many wasted balls by shitty Cunny...all he had to offer was a left foot.
    Carl Robinson - B...TFC's engine...goes all out the full 90 every game...still makes some poor passing decisions...excellent tackler...sometimes underappreciated, but showed his true worth playing his natural position this year...will be a big loss if he leaves.
    Tyler Roselund - C-...good off the bench and fills up a Canadian roster spot...solid depth player.

F/S
    Chad Barrett - B...showed great potential...hard nosed and can score...still young and will be deadly when he can improve his scoring touch...TFC was wise to lock him up long term.
    Jeff Cunningham - F...epic fail...couldn't kick a beachball into the ocean...the definition of bad luck.
    Danny Dichio - B-...left a huge void in the lineup when he had the concussion problems...always the smartest player on the field...has incredible touch for a big guy...led the team in goals despits not scoring since June 14...TFC's legend.
    Carlos Ruiz - F...epic fail part 2...just leave.
    Jarrod Smith - D...showed hope with a goal early in the season v. LA, but seems to just aimlessly run around the field...bench player.
    Johann Smith - C...I really like this guy...would love to see him long term with TFC...runs right at defenders and has sick skills...needs to relax with the stepovers!

Incomplete
    Todd Dunivant - C-...season cut short due to injury...useful player...allows Brennan to move around the field to other positons.
    Tyler Hemming - D+...not given a chance under Carver...could've served useful off the bench and Canadian.

Management
    John Carver - D+...wanted to give him a C-, but TFC were outcoached in too many games this season...to his credit, he was often short-handed on players and did the best he could with what was at his disposal...has incredible passion, but sometimes doesn't know when to draw the line...next year will make or break him.
    Mo Johnston - D...just like he says, he takes 2 steps back for every 1 step forward...has one last chance to wisely use the allocaton money and bring in a DP by the start of next season...the clock is ticking on him and Carver...one more season like this and they both have to go.

Add/make comments as you wish...this should be fun! ...keep in mind, this is for the most part an OPINION thread....it is by no means the be all-end all of TFC....if you disagree, to a point there's no need to call anybody a cunt or a dummy....state your reason why you disagree and debate it....keep it above the belt people!
    I must say that I agree with most of your grades.

I really appreciate the fact that someone although a TFC supporter can be unbias in their evaluations. Let's face it this team had a terrible season an did not meet expectations. The only A player is Wynn who really showed his quality in the last 4-5 games of the season. There are no other A players on this team. There are alot of average players and below average players (D-F) and our record and standing prove it.

Also the coach was totally outclaseed in 99% of our matches. Quite honestly I think you were gernerous in giving Carver a D+. I give him an E or F. Two things need to happen in the offseason

1) TFC must sign a DP - Pauletta is available and will be in town on Friday Nov 7th

2) Either they have to fire Carver or just hope he leaves on his own.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Disagree about Carver. I'd give him a "C," with an "A" for effort. He's just learning the league, and while no Capello, he's about average for this league. I'd agree about Mo, though. He'd better do better next year, no excuses.

It's hard to know if our poor defense was a result of poor coaching or just lousy players. I'd like to see if Limniatis would do better but we won't get the chance.
    Learning the league?????

This is soccer. The objective is to kick the ball in the opposing teams goal and prevent them from scoring in your net.

Here's a news flash for you. It's the same rules as playing in Europe and the rest of the world. What does he have to learn? How to treat his players with respect? How to talk to the media and the fans who are paying his salary? How to judge player talent? How not to shoot off his mouth every 2 seconds at the refs and cry when he doesn't get a call?

Maybe your right - he has a lot to learn. He should take your advice and go back to school to learn. So long as it is as far away as possible from Toronto and from this team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giambac View Post

I really appreciate the fact that someone although a TFC supporter can be unbias in their evaluations. Let's face it this team had a terrible season an did not meet expectations. The only A player is Wynn who really showed his quality in the last 4-5 games of the season. There are no other A players on this team. There are alot of average players and below average players (D-F) and our record and standing prove it.

Also the coach was totally outclaseed in 99% of our matches. Quite honestly I think you were gernerous in giving Carver a D+. I give him an E or F. Two things need to happen in the offseason

1) TFC must sign a DP - Pauletta is available and will be in town on Friday Nov 7th

Well first and foremost I'm a realist, so hopefully the grades reflected that....I am also leaning towards the fact that Carver must do better next year, but it is unfair to write him off already....he had his hands tied quite a few times this year, due to FIFA dates and his own GM's stupidity, but Carver must be more accountable next year, and keep demanding the same from his team (but certainly not so much in public).....to be totally honest I love his passion to do well, and he does want to do well.....but there is a difference between wanting and executing....his tactics must improve both on the field and in the media, but one thing is for certain.....he absolutely cares.......next year will decide many futures here, I believe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's take into consideration that when this team was actually allowed to work day in, day out together and play as a unit (beginning of the season and the very end) then look how bad this team was. I don't think the marks should be as bad as they are being placed. I think the loss of players to international duty and injury did hurt us tremendously this year.

I can remember early on in the season thinking "damn if we'd only beat Cow-lumbus, we'd be at the top of the league". First 10 games we were 5 wins, 2 ties and 3 loss'. At that pace that's 51 points.

Bones...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Let's take into consideration that when this team was actually allowed to work day in, day out together and play as a unit (beginning of the season and the very end) then look how bad this team was. I don't think the marks should be as bad as they are being placed. I think the loss of players to international duty and injury did hurt us tremendously this year.

I can remember early on in the season thinking "damn if we'd only beat Cow-lumbus, we'd be at the top of the league". First 10 games we were 5 wins, 2 ties and 3 loss'. At that pace that's 51 points.

Bones...
    I remember thinking the same thing man, and I was happy as a pig in shit, but you can only look at the reality in the end, and it was.....two months+ without a win, no playoffs, and no CCL....regardless of the contributing factors that has to count for something....losing players to FIFA dates is something that may hinder us for a long time since MLS seems to be pretty set in their ways, and that is something for the GM to work around, and keep in mind this is a problem for every GM in the league, not just MoJo...he chose to stack his team with internationals, and must deal with the consequences of it.....all I could go by is what was reality and what happened for sure....if and but cannot be used too much.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

giambac, you are unaware that most foreign coaches have an adjustment period when coming to MLS. That's okay, let's just say things run differently than Serie A.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like your grades but disagree with the Freeman D and the Sutton B+. he was good for TFC. Added stability. The own goal is not 100% his fault. Sutton has a role in that.

Sutton makes saves but he his often caught out os position and he is terrible on balls in the box even with his height. I say B- or c+. There is no way that he is better thn Robo or Guevera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starters:

Sutton, B-minus: Excellent as a shot stopper, but his control of the box on set pieces, his distribution and his long shot judgment all were borderline perilous.

Wynne - B-Plus: He'd receive an A on heart, talent and the second half of the season, but his dreadful positioning through the first half cost us at least six points. Nice to see that was largely remedied in the second half. Already one of the best fullbacks in the league, he'll walk away with that title next year.

Marco Velez: D. He stated badly, had three or four terrific games, but looked horribly lost for most of the season. He's a hard worker but his reading of the game is terribly suspect. Didn't have Wynne's positioning as an excuse in the second half of the season but still looked unable to effectively man-mark, and often drifted so deep into the box that he couldn't close down quickly enough.

Julius James - D-minus: Terrible reader of the game, mediocre man marker, more energy than sense.

Tyrone Marshall: C-plus. A solid centre back but he isn't a line leader; didn't take over and dominate games, made the odd gaff but mostly took care of business. Would likely be a 'B' if he still had any legs left.

Jim Brennan: C. Wins points for heart and offensive contributions on the overlap. Defensively he was caught ball watching and out-of-positions on numerous key occasions, including Roberto Brown's tying goal to put Montreal through.

Hunter Freeman: No grade, wasn't here long enough. Showed in the San Jose game why he was a capable enough fullback at NY to show Wynne the door, pretty much closing Huckerby down all game. Going forward, his crossing was poor and his positioning a little weak. Better fullback than winger, that's for sure.

Carl Robinson: B-Plus: Did his job really well, broke up the middle (when Guevara dropped back enough to support) effectively, dished a decent pass here and there. If he could split defenses, he'd be a gamebreaker.

Amado Guevara: C-Plus. Looked distracted for much of the season, then really turned it on in the playoff stretch. Has all the keys but evidently lacks confidence (perhaps with reason) in his surrounding cast, so he hogs the ball too much instead of quaterbacking offence. Give him a couple more tools (not the type we've had up until now, the useful type) and you can see how quality he is.

Laurent Robert - D-plus -- Excellent in his first four games, looked as if he'd decided early on that there wasn't enough talent to finish his actually quite good service. Better positional sense than most on the team, but had lost his acceleration almost completely, rendering much of his skill moot. Ah well. In earlier days.....

Rohan Ricketts: B-Minus: Over the course of the season, a major contributor to the team's few successes, done in somewhat by a lack of speed and size -- he was a major performer in every game in which he wasn't double teamed. Unfortunately, that became the norm in the second half, which is why you saw Jimmy Brennan on the cross-over pumping inas many crosses a game as Ricketts. Suffered from some very poor decisions and self-criticism. Needs much more confidence.

Johann Smith - C-minus. His ability to beat one or two guys on the dribble often seemed done in by a lack of crossing ability. Why he was moved from striker to wing is beyond me, as his youth scoring rate was high. Perhaps he couldn't finish at Bolton. A decent bench player, but I question whether he's a winger long term.

Chad Barrett - B - Don't let the shite finishing get you down, as he's only 24. He won't hit his consistency peak for three or four more years, but has increased his goal tally every year of his career, putting him on course to score about 11 or 12 next year, and maybe more if he keeps working with Guevara.

Danny Dichio - C-plus - Done in by creaky bones and concussions, he actually had five goals on his first five chances this season. Team can't afford him as a backup and won't want to lose his presence, so expect him to be named assistant coach sometime in the next coupel of months.

Carlos Ruiz - D - Yes, he's a prick. But there were actual glimpses of both quality and effort there on occasion. Like Cunningham, he obviously didn't want to be here and mostly played like it.

Jeff Cunningham - F- Deliberately tanked here. Come on, we're all thinking it, but no one will say it; the cunt apparently never wanted to be here and it showed. One of the few professional athletes who seems to deserve the contempt.

The Backups

Jarrod Smith - D - Has great energy but seems, again, to have no defined role within the team. Is he a winger who can't cross but can cut inside? A support striker who's good in the air but lousy on the ground. Has journeyman written all over him unless he can convince the team to give him one role to work on.

Ibee Ibrahim - C-minus -- That first good finish aside, he's not strong or fast enough yet to compete at this level. Showed good possessional awarness but very little cohesion with the rest of the team and poor off-the-ball movement. Given his age, did very well overall. If it was graded on that basis, he'd get a c-plus.

Tyler Rosenlund - B - Probably the most underrated performer on the team. Every game he came into, he was the centre of the offence. Gave a huge effort, moved effortlessly into space, created goal scoring chances but couldn't finish. A capable backup for now to Guevara who could eventually replace him.

Kevin Harmse - D - The jury is out on his abilities as a centre back. Everyone seems impressed, but he's cost us directly two goals in four games at that position with reckless and thoughtless play. (Richards turned him because he was marking too tight, and that trip against San Jose was horrendous.) Better as a midfielder than he got credit for but when makes a mistake, boy is it a doozy.

Nana Attakora: A-minus. When he played, he was simply solid all the way around. Can't remember him getting beaten, came up field solidly when he had to, distributed the ball with cool precision, tackled and marked beautifully. Losing wynne's speed would be a big blow, but at least we'd have decent defensive cover.

Gabe Gala, Killian Elkinson, Olivier Tebily, Joey Melo, Todd Dunivant, Tyler Hemming don't get grades, because they didn't play enough to be objective about it. Tebily was to me, quite obviously, the best defender we had. Why he languished on the bench then left for "family reasons" is surely an interesting tale.

Coaches:
    John Carver: D. Seemed thoroughly over his head for a good chunk of the season, finally decided halfway through that his limited talent base made a much more conservative and traditional management style necessary. Made some brutal blunders in assuming is players could quickly adapt to the movement changes necessitated by constantly shifting formations; spoke out too bluntly; finally got the players in spirit by the end of the season. His role as a motivator, obviously, can't be underplayed. They love this guy. But tactically, MLS seemed too different for him. Bodes optimistically, however, for the future that on the two stretches when we had allour players, we were a winning team.

Mo Johnston: D-minus. You have to wonder how patient he is; perhaps if we didn't judge him on a season-to-season basis and knew what his long-range goals were, we'd be better suited to score him. If for example this team adds 20 goals next season via a top-calibre DP striker, all of a sudden the rest of the team, save the backline (please!) , looks pretty solid.

His handling of the defense really, really cost us this season, though. The scoring was a problem, but we blew something like 11 games in the final two minutes. Even without scoring, ties in half of those put us in the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
    I like your grades but disagree with the Freeman D and the Sutton B+. he was good for TFC. Added stability. The own goal is not 100% his fault. Sutton has a role in that.

Sutton makes saves but he his often caught out os position and he is terrible on balls in the box even with his height. I say B- or c+. There is no way that he is better thn Robo or Guevera.
    Freeman didn't take away from the overall picture, but imo he didn' add much either....as for the own goal....Freeman made a poor decision by heading the ball back, considering he was under no pressure from the front and could've simply cleared the ball out....but these grades aren't pinpointed to one single play in the season.

Sutton was a rock....saved some games for us, and prevented some losses from being downright embarrassing....maybe a flat B but no less for me.
    Last edited by TFC Tifoso; 10-27-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little hard on James and Carver, but overall a good rating of the season...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sutton...........B...........the best Canadian we have on the roster
    Edwards.........B-.........our future
    Attakora_Gyan..C.........???
    Brennan.........D+..........major disapoinment/blew the Montreal game
    Freeman........B............too bad hes off to europe
    James...........B-...........will improve more next season
    Marshall........A.............been solid at the back...capt in 09?
    Velez............C.............hot and cold all season...beter in 09!!
    Wynne..........A+...........my player of the year
    Guevara........C+...........expected more up fron from him
    Harmse.........B.............next to Sutton the best canadian on the pitch
    Ricketts........B.............look forward to seeing him bag goals in 2009
    Robinson.......C+...........had a decent season
    Rosenlund.....C..............he promise is there.
    Barrett.........B.............we won the deal here
    Dichio..........C-............injured too often/likely gone in 09
    Ibrahim........B-............great prospect

Carver.........A.............he gave this team a chance at a playoff spot
    MO .........B+............ has improved the team and will in 09 again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ kinda generous....a team graded this high should at least be in the playoffs, yes?

Heathen

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    Sutton...........B...........the best Canadian we have on the roster
    Edwards.........B-.........our future
    Attakora_Gyan..C.........???
    Brennan.........D+..........major disapoinment/blew the Montreal game
    Freeman........B............too bad hes off to europe
    James...........B-...........will improve more next season
    Marshall........A.............been solid at the back...capt in 09?
    Velez............C.............hot and cold all season...beter in 09!!
    Wynne..........A+...........my player of the year
    Guevara........C+...........expected more up fron from him
    Harmse.........B.............next to Sutton the best canadian on the pitch
    Ricketts........B.............look forward to seeing him bag goals in 2009
    Robinson.......C+...........had a decent season
    Rosenlund.....C..............he promise is there.
    Barrett.........B.............we won the deal here
    Dichio..........C-............injured too often/likely gone in 09
    Ibrahim........B-............great prospect

Carver.........A.............he gave this team a chance at a playoff spot
    MO .........B+............ has improved the team and will in 09 again.
    you loon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very generous indeed.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahaha yeah right!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ kinda generous....a team graded this high should at least be in the playoffs, yes?
    we were not that far from it....missed it by a nose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we were not that far from it....missed it by a nose.
    A difference of opinion, I guess...4 points is a little more than a nose for me....not a lot, but I think there was potential for the playoffs this year...or at least CCL.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pauletta your having a laugh...we need a real footballer...not a diver.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A difference of opinion, I guess...4 points is a little more than a nose for me....not a lot, but I think there was potential for the playoffs this year...or at least CCL.

if the MLS had rescheduled that one game we were short for the wcq, towards the end of the season, we not doubt would have won it with the form we were on and the last match In san Jose might have meant more then it actually did.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pauletta your having a laugh...we need a real footballer...not a diver.
    What you'd rather bring in some plug from Scotland?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    What you'd rather bring in some plug from Scotland?
    god NO..they worse the Canadians if thats possible... start looking at South America, maybe Asia, hell even check out our concacaf rival nations for players.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

god NO..they worse the Canadians if thats possible... start looking at South America, maybe Asia, hell even check out our concacaf rival nations for players.
    Nice attempt to cover your tracks. South America? are you kidding me?? Biggest divers on the planet!!!

Pauletta would be a great addition to this team. He is on the backside of his career but would rip this league a new asshole.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    Nice attempt to cover your tracks. South America? are you kidding me?? Biggest divers on the planet!!!

Pauletta would be a great addition to this team. He is on the backside of his career but would rip this league a new asshole.

he plays on his backside....he would get skinned by Cunningham!!!