Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC talk on Fan590 Now!!

http://www.fan590.com/listen/

Talking a little TFC.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what was the news???

"Cleaning crew cleans Toronto FC dressing room"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

taking calls about Mo and the expectation of the fans and how to fix this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow that was a waste of time. Basically Cathel Kelly and the host agreeing that TFC needs a DP or they should fire everyone.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apart from Nigel Reed and Bob Iarusci doing the soccer show, Reed and Luke Wileman on Saturday mornings and the one time they had Gerry Dobson fill in for McClown I never really pay much attention to what the Fan has to say about proper football.
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that is true. Thought that mabey it would be okay. Doug Faraway usually knows what he is talking about when it comes to footy...atleast from what I have heard. Mabey there right though. No DP no sucess?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My picture of MLS standings:

Columbus - No DP
    Houston - No DP
    New England - No DP

Los Angeles - DP
    RWN - SoctoberFest! Champion '11, TFC Supporters Cup Champs '10, Indoor Champs '10 & '09, Niagara Cup Champs '09 & '08.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC's DP was a waste imo... and Kansas City's had little impact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that means they need to bring in a better DP.

your telling me a high caliber DP striker wouldnt do something?

Or a high Calibre Centre Mid that can control things?

The teams just arent using their DPs wisely.

Blanco is the whole damn team in chicago.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post

Honestly. You'd turn down names like Gallardo, Beckham, Lopez?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post

I don't believe it has to do with buying a better DP, but having a better team around the DP. The sad fact is, the cost of a DP is less depth around that player. If Houston had to knock off $400K from their team to fit in a DP, I think that might actually hurt them. They lose 2-3 workmanlike players who fit in the team game.

I certainly don't give a crap about Seattle signing Freddie Ljundberg.
    I guess it's a nice little gift to the fans, who get to see a big star on what will almost certainly be a last place team. but I'm wondering how much LA fans like to watch Becks when their team sucks around him.
    As we've seen, it's very hard to formulate an expansion team that doesn't finish in last place due to chemistry/cohesion problems and the changeover in rosters.
    In my opinion, a first year DP is a waste unless they lower the 400K hit against the cap.
    Last edited by rocker; 10-28-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- and this is why DP's should not count against the cap!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I don't believe it has to do with buying a better DP, but having a better team around the DP. The sad fact is, the cost of a DP is less depth around that player. If Houston had to knock off $400K from their team to fit in a DP, I think that might actually hurt them. They lose 2-3 workmanlike players who fit in the team game.

I certainly don't give a crap about Seattle signing Freddie Ljundberg.
    I guess it's a nice little gift to the fans, who get to see a big star on what will almost certainly be a last place team. but I'm wondering how much LA fans like to watch Becks when their team sucks around him.
    As we've seen, it's very hard to formulate an expansion team that doesn't finish in last place due to chemistry/cohesion problems and the changeover in rosters.
    In my opinion, a first year DP is a waste unless they lower the 400K hit against the cap.

I wouldn't be so sure of that....Seattle so far has 4/5 signings and they seem to be putting together a great team! Last Place? I THINK NOT...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure of that....Seattle so far has 4/5 signings and they seem to be putting together a great team! Last Place? I THINK NOT...

I agree, Seattle will do well. But let's see who they pick in the expansion draft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if we can shore up our Defence, and bring in a DP striker i think we'd do really well next year.

can you imagine how many more goals we'd have if cunny finished his chances.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think we need a DP to do well, I think that is just a marketing tool and people clamoring at having a DP do not look at also what TFC has, tons of draft picks, three first rounders. Young players like Barrett who will be in MLS his whole career, but will be a very good striker in the league. We have a great asset in Wynne which we will sell at some point, young players like Attakora-Gyan and so forth.

DP is overrated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post

DP is overrated.

- Unless it no longer counts against the salary cap... then it's all good!

I think LA's whining to MLS about this subject is good for the league.
    Let teams bring in a star player without it hurting their potential to build a strong core.
    It will raise the level of play on the field, and increase marketing potential.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JESUS!
    Stop talking about fucking DP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That's it! That's fucking it! Jesus Christ should be our next DP! Hallelujah!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfellow View Post
    My picture of MLS standings:

Columbus - No DP
    Houston - No DP
    New England - No DP

Los Angeles - DP
    Exactly. And what do (at least) two of those top teams have? Good young players, that took a few years to build up.

Flash forward to Toronto, and we have the media/fans eating our management alive for not delivering the playoffs in our second year, despite the handful of terrific young players we managed to bring in over the course of the season, and our ideal situation for the off-season (lots of cap space/allocation, draft picks, an empty DP slot, and so on).

A DP would be a great addition, as long as we can find someone who fits well into our system, loves the club/city, and is willing to work. I don't want Mo to cowtow to the demands of supporters and media-folk with no long term vision, and put in some has-been that generates headlines, but not results.

I'd also prefer a slightly older player as a DP - someone looking for a new challenge, not a young guy looking for money. A good veteran would also provide great leadership, that aside from Dichio, seems to be lacking from our squad.

- Scdott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Columbus also has a DP type player in Scholetto who is paid as much against the cap as any DP and will win MVP this year. The idea that a DP will make us win is silly, but so is the idea that no DP will make us good. A DP would be great, as would a solid bench and strong defence. IT's by no means a necesity but shouldn't be discounted because NE/Houston don't have one. If Chicago wins the Cup does that make having a DP a good idea all of a sudden? No, it's about making a working unit...I'd prefer a working unit with a DP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
    Columbus also has a DP type player in Scholetto who is paid as much against the cap as any DP and will win MVP this year. The idea that a DP will make us win is silly, but so is the idea that no DP will make us good. A DP would be great, as would a solid bench and strong defence. IT's by no means a necesity but shouldn't be discounted because NE/Houston don't have one. If Chicago wins the Cup does that make having a DP a good idea all of a sudden? No, it's about making a working unit...I'd prefer a working unit with a DP.
    A DP is just a highly paid player - some folks seem to forget this. The term "DP" starts bringing to mind players like Beckham and Henry, which isn't always realistic.

As with any player, the impacgt of a DP depends on who they bring in, and whether they can play in our system.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 125_TFC View Post
    JESUS!
    Stop talking about fucking DP's
    Amen, brutha.

I'm already sick of the off season. I'm going to be completely fucking mentally diseased by March.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the whole DP debate is rediculous. I'm just thinking out of the box here...but, when you think DP who do you think of? Beckham, Blanco, Ljundberg now. I think if we think of it like instead of getting a big name as a DP which is what everyone seems to jump to. What about a DP that is deserving a of the contract and title? A soild player doesn't have to be a striker. Just a soild player that has a chance to be our best player. I wouldn't have a problem with giving a DP title to a Stalteri or someone like that. A soild player we can build around.