View Poll Results: What is the future of Kevin Harmse?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Starting CB

54 31.95%
  • Backup

75 44.38%
  • Not with TFC

40 23.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Harmse

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Kevin Harmse

The CDN international has been moved from a midfield role, to centre back. What are your thoughts on the player and on his role in the future?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think hes done really quite well there since the move, im not a fan of the guy and hated him before but he has excelled.

Question: did he cause the penalty last night?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Capable but not exceptional. He will definitely cost us PKs if he stays back there, but he does have a certain grit and determination others on the team lack sometimes. I dunno if we want someone who will have brainfarts from time to time back there, but it wouldn't be any different than what we've had the first two seasons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ideally we sign some (or at very least a) talented centerback that can command the back line. Someone was right when they said we need a commander in the back telling Marshall where to play etc. Sadly Harmse is not that guy, like Roogsy said tho, he is a good back up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i can see him starting in place of Marshall when he retires

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would keep him instead of otto velez and JJ, i think they may trade james....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he is good off the bench, but man he needs to chill in some situations, that red card at the start of the season was too much lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

itll be curious to see if a) we rid of velez, james or harmse and b) if we do, who the commanding cb will be that replaces them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

harmse is more flexable,he can play DM,RD AND CD....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Marshall will be gone. The idea of Harmse starting I think is a good one. He is a pitbull out there. You can see it on him and I like it. In the short time he has played here, he has made mistake, but they are teachable. Ability, distribution, toughness are not things that come easily. Body positioning, which were the cause of his mistakes, can be taught.

If Harmse works this off season on his positional defending, he will be starting next year. Good for TFC to have a Canadian spot in a key role and good for the CDN national team cause our CBs were garbage during qualifiers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's not quality enough to start but he is a good versatile squad player. Still, I think I'd rather have Poz back.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the guys passion for his team, but he can't tackle to save his life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harmse is the next Adrian Serioux

They are so similar it is scary

Both LATE bloomers, I mean Serioux didnt start playing like he is now until he was about 27/28.

Both are VERY aggressive, overly aggressive actually but always give their all. Both played midfield before moving back to center back. I am happy with Harmse's play in the past few matches

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ LOL!

Man, you just love making Canadian players sound better than they are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

until he can control himself moreso, he will be a concern at the back; to many stupid tackles, however i believe he can be groomed with the right coaching and leadership as Harmse is a tough-as-nails Canadian boy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
    Both are VERY aggressive, overly aggressive actually but always give their all. Both played midfield before moving back to center back. I am happy with Harmse's play in the past few matches
    Earlier this year Wynne shoved a guy and gave up a penalty and people were pretty hard on him, but it looked to me like the guy was going to score anyway, so I was glad Wynne shoved him. Maybe it's too much of a hockey mentality, but I like it when other players have to pay to score against us. Make them nervous to get too close to the net, looking over their shoulders. Harmse will very good at that. It's worth giving up a penalty every once in a while.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kevin Harmse is a back-up on a good team, so hopefully he isn't a starter next season. With the addition of a more reliable CB I think Harmse would improve quite a bit, but he still has numerous weaknesses in his game. Having said that, he'll be an important team member next season. I expect him to continue to develop and play quite a bit.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Earlier this year Wynne shoved a guy and gave up a penalty and people were pretty hard on him, but it looked to me like the guy was going to score anyway, so I was glad Wynne shoved him. Maybe it's too much of a hockey mentality, but I like it when other players have to pay to score against us. Make them nervous to get too close to the net, looking over their shoulders. Harmse will very good at that. It's worth giving up a penalty every once in a while.
    You hit the nail on the head. It's alot easier to score in hockey than it is in soccer. Games are decided by such play.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He reminds me of Bobo Balde - you never know when he'll blow a tire that costs the team HUGE.

Not worth the risk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    He reminds me of Bobo Balde - you never know when he'll blow a tire that costs the team HUGE.

Not worth the risk
    Not sure who Bobo Balde is but I agree with the rest of your post ... he is just too big of a risk to be playing in our back four.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sell is ass to a team over sea he cost us too many games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    ^ LOL!

Man, you just love making Canadian players sound better than they are.
    I am not trying too. You can't argue that the too are very similar.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was impressed by some of the skill he showed in his midfield role. On the back line though, he's a cementhead. He'd've given away an earlier penaly if Huckerby hadn't jumped to his feet so quickly.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's done alright discipline-wise this year - or at least alot better than many of us were expecting...and he looked good defending last night.

Keep him, considering how little cap space he eats up you can't go wrong with international call-ups and such.

Plus, you never know when shit will hit the fan and someone will need to have their leg broken in retaliation for a cheap shot against one of our guys

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He should be starting, he has played well this season and deserves to start, and would lead a decent defence with Marshall, Velez and Wynne...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harmse is a very limited player who substitutes desire for skill. I like his heart but he is far too error prone to be given a starting role on this team, unless missing the playoffs is still the name of the game in 2009.

Don't get me wrong...he has a role on this team but if TFC are going to win in 2009, he's our 4th sub most weeks (for those who might retort that we only get 3 subs per game...I know that...i mean he doesn't get to play).

Skill kills and Harmsey just doesn't have enough of it to warrant a starting role on a team that better have aspirations for a winning season in 2009 (and beyond).

Having said that, I do want to see him continue to develop as a defender. In MLS, you can live with a guy who is incapable of making a decent forward pass from the CB position. In MLS, you need to make compromises. He should only be allowed to play an MF role as a worst case scenario.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he has played very well since getting more playing time. He is still worrysome that he will snap and cost us a penalty or send us to 10 men. However if he can get better tactically and positionally he wouldn't be in a spot to make those dumb descisions. I would still like to see him come back and show a little more skill. I would say use him as we did this year coming off the bench, until he shows more consistiency and can be trusted in the back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a bit shocked to see the number of people who think he can be a starter for us at CB. I definitely feel he has played better at the CB spot but if he is one of our starting CB's next year we are in serious trouble. He is only 6' and doesn't have much of a vertical that I can recall. We would be very vulnerable on set peices especially if Dichio is not in the lineup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    uhh..right but I'd rather have a player pressured in open play to make a tough shot, then gift him a penalty, which will defintely result in a goal as long as the kicker doesn't screw it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    i think hes done really quite well there since the move, im not a fan of the guy and hated him before but he has excelled.

Question: did he cause the penalty last night?
    It was a bad tackle, but everyone else was pushing for a goal, which should have come a hell of alot earlier, If TFC had shown up for the game.