Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Official Expansion Draft Rules Released

Just ran across this .....

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news...._mls&fext=.jsp

NEW YORK -- The League's 15th team, Seattle Sounders FC, will take another significant step toward their first season in Major League Soccer, as the 2009 MLS expansion side will participate in a 10-round 2008 MLS Expansion Draft scheduled for the afternoon of Wednesday, Nov. 26. Seattle Sounders FC have signed three players to date including American goalkeeper Kasey Keller, French striker Sebastien Le Toux and Gambian midfielder Sanna Nyassi. Seattle Sounders FC may not claim more than one player from any given team in MLS - four teams will not have a player taken in the expansion draft.
    All 14 MLS teams are required to submit their lists of protected players to the League by 3 p.m. ET on Monday, Nov. 24. The League will distribute a list of the players available in the expansion draft to media that day. At the conclusion of the Expansion Draft, results will be posted on MLSnet.com and teams may resume trading. The expansion draft details are listed below:
    2008 MLS Expansion Draft Rules

Senior Roster
    • Teams may protect 11 players between their Senior and their Developmental Roster.
    • If the Player's contract expires at the end of 2008, he will still be considered part of the team's Senior Roster.
    • If a team protects a player, it is not obligated to exercise the player's option. The team may renegotiate a new budget number for the player as in previous years.
    • If a player retires, he will not be a part of the Senior Roster, but his team will lose its right of first refusal to him should he ultimately decide to play.
    Developmental Roster
    • Players on a team's Developmental Roster, other than Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2008 season, will be part of the expansion draft.
    • Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2008 season are automatically protected (teams do not have to protect them).
    • If Seattle Sounders FC select a Developmental Player they must offer him a Senior Roster position and he must be on Seattle's Senior Roster as of Roster Compliance Date.
    International Players
    • Teams are restricted in the number of international player(s) that they may make available per the table set forth below.
    • For purposes of this expansion process, for U.S.-based teams, any non-domestic U.S. player would count as an International and for Toronto FC, any non-domestic U.S. player or non-domestic Canadian player would count as an International.
    Designated Players
    • Designated Players do not have to be protected unless the player has a no trade clause in which case he must be protected.
    Maximum Player Loss
    • Once a player has been claimed from a team's non-protected roster, that team is eliminated from the expansion draft and may not lose any further players.
    Right to Renegotiate
    • Seattle will have the right to renegotiate a drafted player's salary (either up or down) without having to place such player on waivers or giving his previous Team a right of first refusal.
    Priority
    • On the first day of the Discovery/Allocation Period, Seattle will have priority over players who played professionally in the USL First or Second Division in 2008, subject to another MLS team's right of first refusal.
    Rounds
    • The expansion draft will be 10 rounds.
    INTERNATIONAL PLAYER PROTECTION REQUIREMENT TABLE:

Teams may make available a number of international players equal to their total number of international players minus 3, provided that if a team has 3 or less international players it may make available not more than 1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For internationals not sure who has a green card and who does not but we definitely have Dichio, James, Ricketts, Johann Smith and Robinson as intl's. Possible other intl's depending on if they have their green cards are Ruiz, Guevara, Velez and Marshall.
    Last edited by arsenal; 10-24-2008 at 10:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to understand the implications of this but my brain is tired:
    any non-domestic U.S. player or non-domestic Canadian player would count as an International
    and this: Teams may make available a number of international players equal to their total number of international players minus 3

how can you be a non-domestic US playeror a non-domestic Canadian?and does the second point mean that we have to protect 7 INTS (cuz we have 10 according to the mlsnet.com roster?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I'm trying to understand the implications of this but my brain is tired:
    any non-domestic U.S. player or non-domestic Canadian player would count as an International
    and this: Teams may make available a number of international players equal to their total number of international players minus 3

how can you be a non-domestic US playeror a non-domestic Canadian?and does the second point mean that we have to protect 7 INTS (cuz we have 10 according to the mlsnet.com roster?
    I believe the "non-domestic" is to account for players who are not American or Cdn but have status as such so qualify as per league rules. So for example, if Guevara has a green card he would count as a domestic US player (Honduran but with green card to count as domestic US).

Based on place of birth ..... I have looked up all non USA & Cda. Guevara, T Marshall, and C Ruiz have green cards. Velez should qualify as American as people born in P.R. are American Citizens. Also assumes that all of our young dev players qualify as Cdn (Elkinson, Gala, Attakora which should be safe given playing for Cdn youth teams).

That would leave intl's for the purposes of the expansion draft as Dichio, Robbo, Ricketts, James and Jarrod Smith. That # totals 5 so we could not leave more than 2 of those guys unprotected (5-3=2).

After working on a CMA project all day though my brain is fried and I reserve the right to be wrong on all of this.
    Last edited by arsenal; 10-24-2008 at 10:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post

After working on a CMA project all day though my brain is fried and I reserve the right to be wrong on all of this.
    CMA project?? you in the SLP program?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so that then means there are 12 INTs if you take into account that... the 10 guys listed as INT on the mlsnet.com roster plus Jarrod and Marco. so they'd have to protect 9 of those.
    but if you count all the non-canadians on the roster, there's 15, and they'd have to protect 12, which is impossible.
    oh well, I don't get it totally. I'll just wait for the list to come out on Nov 24.

maybe we'll get by without any selections since 4 teams won't lose a player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G/A
    Abdus Ibrahim

Canadian
    Jim Brennan
    Kevin Harmse
    Greg Sutton
    Nana Attakora
    Killian Elkinson
    Gabe Gala
    Derek Gaudet
    Joey Melo
    Tyler Rosenlund

US Spot
    Chad Barrett
    Brian Edwards
    Hunter Freeman
    Jarrod Smith (how this one works I have no idea)
    Marco Velez

International Spot (* can count as US)
    Danny Dichio
    Rohan Ricketts
    Carl Robinson
    Todd Dunivant*
    Amado Guevara*
    Julius James*
    Tyrone Marshall*
    Carlos Ruiz*
    Johann Smith*
    Marvell Wynne *

So, the real question becomes, what is "non-domestic"? If it means just cannot count as canadian or american (ie Green card counts), then according to the TFC roster page we have 3 guys we need to protect, Dichio, Ricketts and Robinson. I still don't know how Jarrod Smith is marked as one of the 5 US players we are allowed, but he is, and until I hear otherwise I will assume he counts as US.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    so that then means there are 12 INTs if you take into account that... the 10 guys listed as INT on the mlsnet.com roster plus Jarrod and Marco. so they'd have to protect 9 of those.
    but if you count all the non-canadians on the roster, there's 15, and they'd have to protect 12, which is impossible.
    oh well, I don't get it totally. I'll just wait for the list to come out on Nov 24.

maybe we'll get by without any selections since 4 teams won't lose a player.
    Even with this reading it's wrong, since Wynne, Dunivant, and Johann Smith are all American, but are taking up International spots on the team. Plus Velez is American since he's from Puerto Rico. So even if it's a "must have citizenship" type of rule, we'd only have to protect 5 of those guys (your 12 - 4 above - 3 rule).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is where we need mlsintoronto to stroll into the thread and clarify.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clearly I read the rules incorrectly, we only have to protect 3 of our internationals. Since it says we can "make available" our total number minus 3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    CMA project?? you in the SLP program?
    Yes ... starting year 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    Yes ... starting year 2.
    Just finished my graduation ceremony today.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle Sounders FC may not claim more than one player from any given team in MLS - four teams will not have a player taken in the expansion draft. I see us being one of these /\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With less than a week before the list has to be submitted, think this thread needs a bump.

bump.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revised List

Protected XI:

GK-Edwards (could be attractive to Seattle)
    D- Wynne (no need for explaination)
    D- Marshall (this one I am kinda iffy on)
    D-James (people don't like his play, but you can't give up on him so soon)
    D-Brennan (Don't know if Seattle will pick him, but be safe than sorry)
    D-Dunivant (For me, we have to keep him, he plays multiple positions)
    M-Guevara (no explaination)
    M-Ricketts (if you leave him unprotected, Seattle will take him)
    M-Robinson (see above, trade bait back to Toronto)
    M-JoSmith (has upside)
    F-Barrett (no explaination needed)

Players not protected:

GK-Sutton (won't be the best goalie left unprotected, plus SS already have 2)
    D-Velez (won't hurt us if they take him, could help us)
    D-Gyan (if SS take him, they will have offer an Intl a senior contract..I doubt it)
    M-Harmse (International)
    M-JaSmith (see Velez - won't hurt us)
    F-Dichio (injuries could be trade bait, ie. Jason Kreis)

GA:

F- Ibby (cannot be selected)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YAY! EXPANSION!!

NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G/A (Auto-Protected)
    Abdus Ibrahim

Protected
    Jim Brennan
    Julius James
    Marvell Wynne
    Nana Attakora
    Todd Dunivant
    Amado Guevara
    Carl Robinson
    Rohan Ricketts
    Johann Smith
    Jarrod Smith
    Chad Barrett

Unprotected
    Hunter Freeman
    Carlos Ruiz
    Killian Elkinson
    Gabe Gala
    Derek Gaudet
    Joey Melo
    Tyler Rosenlund
    Kevin Harmse
    Marco Velez
    Danny Dichio
    Brian Edwards
    Greg Sutton
    Tyrone Marshall

I think the list that actually gets released will depend on a lot of things, such as, if Robinson and Ricketts intend to return next year. I do seriously hope that Mo and Carver have gotten a response one way or another from these two with respect to this, since there are players that could be protected instead of them.

Now, on to my list:

Keepers:

I'm sticking by my thought that both Sutton and Edwards are left unprotected. I think that Carver would be happy with either of these two as the starter next year, and you can get a capable backup with potential in the draft, or even go out and get Josh Waagenar (for example). I just can't see using one (or event two!) spot on a keeper, with so many other options to protect.

Defence:

Brennan, Wynne, and Dunivant are no brainer protected in my opinion, just as Freeman is a guaranteed unprotected. I think that there will be more potential seen in James and Attakora, hence they will be protected over Velez and Marshall. I strongly believe that if TFC is to get better, we'll need better centre backs then the likes of Velez, Marshall and Harmse, but if none materialize, I think TFC will be okay with any 2 of those 3 as the starters with James and Attakora as backup.

Midfield:

All the dev midfielders are no-brainers unprotected, especially since they are all canadian. Any other MF I've either protected, or lumped in with the defence (Harmse), and I don't think they need a lot of justification (other than Jarrod, but he'll be covered in the Forwards portion.)

Forwards:

Barrett is a guaranteed protected, as Ruiz is a guaranteed unprotected. Now one sticky that I've changed my mind on is Jarrod Smith. Personally, I'd like to protect Dichio, Marshall or Harmse over him, BUT I think since he's developed into a player who's now capped for New Zealand that he has much more worth than any of those three.

The new roster rules do make things a little more interesting, and I could see 2-3 of the players that I have listed get swapped. Heck, I could even see something where they end up protecting both goalies and not protecting Ricketts and Robinson if they know they intend to go home.