Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Portuguese World Cup star declines MLS., Pauleta In a TFC Jersey Who Knows ????

Pauleta was in Fall River last week on a fundraising tour but could have been in the area for soccer reasons, he was recruited by MLS teams and said he wanted to play for New England. Jose Silva, a television producer who is accompanying Pauleta, said both the Revolution and New York Red Bulls offered contracts. Pauleta and Silva agreed the money was not good enough. "I have some friends in the U.S., and they tell me it's a strong and physical league," Pauleta said of MLS. "I've seen some games, but not in person. I know it's difficult to play anywhere."...I believe Pauleta has family in Toronto, Still a possibility for TFC to offer Pedro "Pauleta" a contract.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/74770

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauleta
    Last edited by tfcmanu; 10-23-2008 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, good addition, but i wouldn't waste a DP slot on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would be an amazing pick up for TFC but sure isn't worth a DP spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every Portugueser knows that in the maroon and green he needed to miss 10 times to score once.

No way he's better than Eusebio even though he owns the Seleccao's goal scoring record.
    Last edited by billyfly; 10-23-2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Forgot the 2nd "c" in seleccao

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he would tear it up.

We're not taking decent hear.

We're talk best goal scorer ever in Portugal. Thats not easy to say.

I personally don't like the guy's game style, and never proved himself on a real club team. But still

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are nuts. PAULETTA is not worth a DP??????

YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SERIOUSLY YOU GUYS ARE FUCKIN DUMMIES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marco2K View Post

Not at 35 and on the pitch we have, it would tear up his knees. He also hasn't played at all this year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He said no to NE and NJ so i doubt hed play for less than DP money

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marco2K View Post

hes past his time....let the red bulls have em

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    I personally don't like the guy's game style, and never proved himself on a real club team. But still
    LOL, he was French player of the year a couple times. Never proved himself for club?

His better years are definitely behind him. In the last couple years he's been a terribly frustrating player to watch. He has the goals to back-up his career, but it's a little misleading.

He can score goals, but you'd have to have a lot of patience with him. He likes to wait for his opportunities, and he does get a lot of them. He's been very happy in France and I don't see him playing here. If he doesn't retire there, maybe one last year in Portugal. He would definitely be looking for a paycheck if he did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Not at 35 and on the pitch we have, it would tear up his knees. He also hasn't played at all this year.

yea ..because BLANCO at 35 and a DP at that....was a horrible mistake by chicago!...

Id take Pauletta anyday..at this level!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest with you all...I think a DP isnt as important as people cut it out to be. I would rather us have a quality side who plays well together then to have just a super star. If Pauletta fits into our system and how we play, then yes, hes worth the money b/c he will score some goals. But, if he will not fit into the system, not has his heart into playing well for Toronto then what will be the point?

All I care about is having players come in who WANT to be here and to WIN for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being from the Azores myself I think it should mean something to everyone when even i admit that he's not the ideal striker on this team.

But (and only but) if Mo isn't going to bring anyone else in becasue no one seems to fit his own ideal compromise of what a veterans "big named" striker is worth and what they can actually bring to the table, then bring him in because it's better then no one again for another year.

And i hate to seem like I'm just here to bring the guy down, but i agree with some earlier posts that the amount of goals he scored doesn't indicate how valuable he really was to Portugal. Case in point.....how many times did he score in a big game? he didn't a lot more often then he did.

Give credit where it's due though.... a soft spoken class act all the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even Pauleta “past his prime” is still head and shoulders above 99% of this leagues’ calibre. He’d be an incredible DP player but unlikely given that NY and NE don’t interest him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Even Pauleta “past his prime” is still head and shoulders above 99% of this leagues’ calibre. He’d be an incredible DP player but unlikely given that NY and NE don’t interest him.
    I dont think its that NE and NY dont interest him......ITs the money thats not interesting!...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^That's what I meant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pff French league

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurignano View Post
    To be honest with you all...I think a DP isnt as important as people cut it out to be. I would rather us have a quality side who plays well together then to have just a super star. If Pauletta fits into our system and how we play, then yes, hes worth the money b/c he will score some goals. But, if he will not fit into the system, not has his heart into playing well for Toronto then what will be the point?

All I care about is having players come in who WANT to be here and to WIN for us.
    Agreed 100%.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't kidd yourself, pauleta would tear this league apart at scoring goals....he'd make huckerby look second rate.....no joke...just ask PSG and pretty much any other club he has suited up for

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

give these guys million dollar salaries and they will play in fields full of #$%&.. Its not the talent level
    its not the way we play the heat or anything..
    its all about what you can offer them.
    bringing a player from abroad who has had success in other leagues and they expect a minimum payment is the issue.

Not any different to us when we put a value to the skills we have in our respective fields...

Tfc should be looking at signing some .. european , african, south american, what have you not players that are young and full of prospect that can mature and eventually be added to our squad or dealt around to other teams or leagues...
    A dp is great but toronto fc needs to focus on developement to bring in more cash to the cow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRenter View Post
    don't kidd yourself, pauleta would tear this league apart at scoring goals....he'd make huckerby look second rate.....no joke...just ask PSG and pretty much any other club he has suited up for
    In his prime, not now. And once again, someone denigrates Huckerby without considering that, outside of two seasons, he's been his team MVP just about every season he's played. He was, far and away, the best player in MLS in the second half. Far and away.

I'd take Huckerby, easily, over Pauleta because of how rounded his game in AND the fact that he scores at this level at will. Pauleta will finish the chances he gets in MLS, if he gets them, but with a couple of knee ops and the bestof his career behind him, he's not going to be beating too many defenders on the dribble. A goal poacher doesn't do much good when the team isn 't creating the chances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do it! He's as worthy a DP as anyone else we could find. Only concern may be form.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pauleta was only good against the Azerbaijan's. He would score 4 or 5 against him but was a FUCKING CHOKE ARTIST when it came to big tourneys (World Cups and Euros). OK striker but not at DP money

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    yea ..because BLANCO at 35 and a DP at that....was a horrible mistake by chicago!...

Id take Pauletta anyday..at this level!
    Yeah I completely agree....I would take him at this level as well. But no grass?? He would end up being injured longer than playing for us. Also Blanco plays constantly.....Pauletta hasn't played since last year.....his form would be so rediculously horrendous now...It would easily take him a good 3-4 months to get into game shape again.

Let's just put it this way instead of agruing about things that no one knows for sure. He isn't worth the money that he would command.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather have a player who wants to come here to play. People should get off this whole DP thing. Honestly, its not as important as you may cut it out to be. How many DP's have come in and have made a major impact? There has a been a few, with Blanco and Angel sticking out in my mind, but it doenst mean they will win them a championship. Id rather have a club like the dynamo, who has great depth and plays well as a club. I'd only want us to get a DP if he will make our club that much better, want to be here and realise how important it is to win a championship for us. I dont want someone to come here on retirement.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurignano View Post
    I'd rather have a player who wants to come here to play. People should get off this whole DP thing. Honestly, its not as important as you may cut it out to be. How many DP's have come in and have made a major impact? There has a been a few, with Blanco and Angel sticking out in my mind, but it doenst mean they will win them a championship. Id rather have a club like the dynamo, who has great depth and plays well as a club. I'd only want us to get a DP if he will make our club that much better, want to be here and realise how important it is to win a championship for us. I dont want someone to come here on retirement.

I agree with the fact that the DP is something to add to a team to raise it to its highest level but without a base of good squad players you have LA. That said the DP will always be the biggest focus because it's the biggest investment and has the biggest draw for the club from a name standpoint.

Everyones bias comes immidiately to the foreground when DP talk starts. I'm sure their are competent football fans weighing in here with not as much bias but the point remains that we're targeting a Canadian DP.

That may piss some people off because they think it's a lack of star quality but I'd say that it's the very reason we should be trying to reward the best Canadian player we can find with a salary he actually deserves and make him the household name he should be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thing if Pauleta came here is BMO would see ALOT more older Portuguese guys in the stands. It would change the dynamic in teh fanbase somewhat. I'm not saying alot I'm just saying there would be a whole other interest from the Dundas and College St crew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that might actually be something they want as it brings in a new audience. I cant imagine it would change the atmosphere all that much though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    Another thing if Pauleta came here is BMO would see ALOT more older Portuguese guys in the stands. It would change the dynamic in teh fanbase somewhat. I'm not saying alot I'm just saying there would be a whole other interest from the Dundas and College St crew.

No there wouldn't. Even with Pauletta those guys wouldn't give a fuck about TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yah, those guys are hardcore Benfica and Sporting fans.

Anything else is like cheating on your family