Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ameobi?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted this a week ago in the Ameobi thread in the news section (having a separate news section is not working well, the same topics are being posted and discussed in both the general and news forums):

Meanwhile, talk that Toronto FC will be unable to afford Shola Ameobi’s transfer fee was today dismissed by a source close to the MLS side.

TFC are owned by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment group, who also own NHL and NBA giants Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Raptors, with the company worth $1.75 billion.
    http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/...2703-20965095/

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^My point exactly. You don't think that MLSE, with their desire to make an impact in the footy world, wouldn't pull the trigger on paying for the transfer? They would do it, assuming mo and carver want ameobi bad enough, just to thumb their nose at the other MLS owners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would hope that MLSE pull the trigger and get him. July 15th is the day im waiting for and going to wait patiently to see what we get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ you never know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurignano View Post
    I would hope that MLSE pull the trigger and get him. July 15th is the day im waiting for and going to wait patiently to see what we get.
    It's kind of like Christmas. And we don't know what were getting, and we're hoping it will be good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just dont know..I think if it was any other owners I wouldnt doubt them buying him for us...but since..its MLSE, I just dont know. WIll they surprise me?! We will see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    I posted this a week ago in the Ameobi thread in the news section (having a separate news section is not working well, the same topics are being posted and discussed in both the general and news forums):

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/...2703-20965095/

I feel the same way about the separate news/TFC sections.

I've never lived in the UK, but I've been told that the Chronicle is a completely shite news source. As with the previous article with Carver talking about Ameobi, there was no concrete link between the two. It was like the reporter just started talking about Ameobi and forced Carver to admit he would like him at TFC. And with today's note, who knows what "a source close to the MLS side" means to the Comical.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont doubt that MLSE could pay for the transfer, its just that the MLS pays for them, Not the owners of the teams...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's 4 million pounds too so anyone with the exchange rate and a calculator want to fill us in.
    However, he didn't want to go there and to be honest TFC has to look very enticing, what with Carver, Winsper, the chance to step up and be the man.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    I dont doubt that MLSE could pay for the transfer, its just that the MLS pays for them, Not the owners of the teams...
    In that case mYBE WE WON'T GET HIM. UNLESS THE LEGEND OF TFC IS STRONG ENOUGH TO CAUSE A bend in the rule book continuum ala Galaxy-Beckham,Donovan, Goal of the week voting etc. This is one of many problems with this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think the transfer fee is out of the question from a rules standpoint. DPs are contracted to their club, not the League I thought, which means it might be possible for the club to pay the fee.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4,000,000.00 GBP

=

7,947,469.21 CAD

United Kingdom Pounds Canada Dollars 1 GBP = 1.98687 CAD 1 CAD = 0.503305 GBP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just dont know..I think if it was any other owners I wouldnt doubt them buying him for us...but since..its MLSE, I just dont know. WIll they surprise me?! We will see.
    Any other owner??? There are pleanty of other owners that are stingier than MLSE....I find your comments are quite humorous

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thankyou Cambridge red for squashing our dreams is the newcastle link worth about 4 million dollars because then 4 million remaining doesn't seem that unresonable

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge_Red View Post
    4,000,000.00 GBP

=

7,947,469.21 CAD

United Kingdom Pounds Canada Dollars 1 GBP = 1.98687 CAD 1 CAD = 0.503305 GBP

wow,

you're good in math

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ridiculous post. you surely aren't talking about the same MLSE that has been a top 3 highest spender in hockey for over a decade. they don't spare any expense with the raptors either.

'any other owners', give me a break. name the other potential owners that tried to bring the mls toronto, i don't think there was a lineup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think MLSE is cheap, not by a long shot. Their track record on spending is quite good. However, their spending is balanced with their profitability. In the minds of the board, TFC simply does not produce enough cash flow to justify spending this much on a transfer. Nor is it in line with what the rest of the league is spending. No way MLSE is going to outspend AEG and Redbull by such a large margin.

I'll take Kristian Jack's word (that this rumor is complete crap) over some uk paper with less immediate knowledge of our club anyday.

Keep dreaming, he isn't coming if the price is 8m.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 06-04-2008 at 10:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bignickel View Post
    ridiculous post. you surely aren't talking about the same MLSE that has been a top 3 highest spender in hockey for over a decade. they don't spare any expense with the raptors either.

'any other owners', give me a break. name the other potential owners that tried to bring the mls toronto, i don't think there was a lineup.

MLSE does spend money, but all they care about is selling out the stadium. They also wont spend more then they have coming in. Look at who they spend huge money on, its just to create buzz and keep people coming back into the seats. Sure they are the reason TFC is here, with out Carver and Mo IMO this team would be completely different as well.

I Must admit though they have been very good with us, I mean us getting Guevera, Ricketts, Robert, Tebily shows that they do want to win.

What does other potential owners have to do with anything? Ofcourse I am greatful they brought TFC here, but it doesn't mean I have to praise them, like them, and be blind to the facts I have seen with the Leafs, and I hope never come to see it at a Toronto FC.
    Last edited by Laurignano; 06-04-2008 at 11:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE does spend money, but all they care about is selling out the stadium. They also wont spend more then they have coming in. Look at who they spend huge money on, its just to create buzz and keep people coming back into the seats. Sure they are the reason TFC is here, with out Carver and Mo IMO this team would be completely different as well.

I Must admit though they have been very good with us, I mean us getting Guevera, Ricketts, Robert, Tebily shows that they do want to win.

What does other potential owners have to do with anything? Ofcourse I am greatful they brought TFC here, but it doesn't mean I have to praise them, like them, and be blind to the facts I have seen with the Leafs, and I hope never come to see it at a Toronto FC.
    laurignano, when you spend more than you have coming in, in business, you achieve one thing only, its called bankruptcy!

you don't have to praise them, but don't sound off like they are cheap when it comes to signings, which you very much did. you sound like all the idiots that wanted to crucify mo 3 months ago.

anyway, amoeba at 8 million? do you think this is a good move? don't tell me, you saw 3 youtube highlights so he is a superstar.

what kills me is that we have mcbride or a tradeable mcbride for nothing and guys like you think mlse would be cheap for not spending 8 million on ameoba.

relax a little, mlse to this point has done nothing but provide us with a team, and allowed mo to build a competitive team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Broadview View Post
    It's kind of like Christmas. And we don't know what were getting, and we're hoping it will be good.
    yeesh.

it truly is like the modern day christmas. we already know what we got, which were great presents, and now we are wondering where all the other presents are.

poor parents!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post

Not correct. The teams pay transfer fees under the current (post 2005) rules, even for non DP players. Most recently DC United paid a small transfer fee to Melbourne Victory for Fred.

This is one thing allocations are used for.

If he would be your DP then there is no reason why you couldn't pay the transfer fee for him other than MLSE deems it too expensive.
    Last edited by footyfan; 06-05-2008 at 07:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bignickel View Post
    laurignano, when you spend more than you have coming in, in business, you achieve one thing only, its called bankruptcy!

you don't have to praise them, but don't sound off like they are cheap when it comes to signings, which you very much did. you sound like all the idiots that wanted to crucify mo 3 months ago.

anyway, amoeba at 8 million? do you think this is a good move? don't tell me, you saw 3 youtube highlights so he is a superstar.

what kills me is that we have mcbride or a tradeable mcbride for nothing and guys like you think mlse would be cheap for not spending 8 million on ameoba.

relax a little, mlse to this point has done nothing but provide us with a team, and allowed mo to build a competitive team.

Your right man I did come off a little off. Sometimes when I say thing I dont really mean it / explain it enough, and, NO, I do not think he is a super star, I saw him play at newcastle. I liked him, although he did have many flaws like anyone else, But in truth I think he would be a good striker in the MLS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by footyfan View Post
    Not correct. The teams pay transfer fees under the current (post 2005) rules, even for non DP players. Most recently DC United paid a small transfer fee to Melbourne Victory for Fred.

If he would be your DP then there is no reason why you couldn't pay the transfer fee for him other than MLSE deems it too expensive.
    So transfers are paid by allocations?
    Even then its prob not possible to sign this guy, where would we get 7 million dollars worth of allocations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by footyfan View Post

but if a team doesn't have millions in allocation money (which is unlikely for any team) then does the league or the team pay the big transfer fee? it must be the league, right? Because the league wants equality among teams and a big transfer fee could only be afforded by some of the owners not all -- if they could pay it by dipping into their own company funds.

I'm trying to remember a big name player that's come over with a big fee recently but I can't think of any. Beckham and Blanco arrived without transfer fees I believe because they were at the end of their contracts.

The allocation money also isn't money from the "teams" ... it's money the league owns and allocates to the teams. The teams decide how it's used within the rules of the league. Did DC pay a transfer fee using their allocation money? Then that money was actually league money, not from the private coffers of the DC United owners. They could afford the transfer fee through their allocation money cuz the fee was probably low (not millions).

Personally I'd like to see some link that explains this better. I do remember info from Ives about outgoing transfer fees (like the transfer of Altidore and Adu) but nothing about incoming transfer fees. To bring in a big time player on transfer (millions of dollars in fees) I think wouldn't be possible by MLSE. TFC would need millions in allocation money (which they don't have) or the league would have to pay the fee with its own money, which is unlikely.
    One solution might be to loan the player to TFC, if it was an expensive player who wasn't living up to the Euro team's performance expectations.
    Last edited by rocker; 06-05-2008 at 12:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your right man I did come off a little off. Sometimes when I say thing I dont really mean it / explain it enough, and, NO, I do not think he is a super star, I saw him play at newcastle. I liked him, although he did have many flaws like anyone else, But in truth I think he would be a good striker in the MLS.
    good enough.

i mean we could definitely use the guy but i am sure mo is looking at a few options right now.

just like i stood by mo in the off-season, i am willing to bet we will get surprised in a good way with a dp or major signing in the not too distant future.

it's all good right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we should get ameobi for the sheer fact he's got one of the best songs in football

you put your left foot in.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxRIJWmGQJQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some guys are just injury prone (not saying that this guy is).

For what it's worth, Winsper didn't have a great track record at Newcastle for keeping the guys healthy, but was it the cook or the eggs?

By MLS standards our conditioning looks really good this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pimpslapt View Post
    we should get ameobi for the sheer fact he's got one of the best songs in football

you put your left foot in.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxRIJWmGQJQ

your def right there buddy lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newcastle are reported to have accepted an offer from Ipswich for Shola Ameobi, as the race for the striker hots up.
    The rangy forward would appear to be surplus to requirements at St James’ Park and there has been no shortage of interest in the 26-year-old.
    A switch to Major League Soccer has been dismissed by Ameobi’s agent, but Ipswich’s East Anglian rivals Norwich are also believed to hold an interest in the player.
    “He's not going to the MLS, that's not an option we're looking at,” Ameobi’s agent Steven Denos told the Norwich Evening News. “We've had no contact from Middlesbrough and no offer in from Norwich City.”
    Norwich are in the market for a striker following the departure of Darren Huckerby and Canaries chief Glenn Roeder is a fan of the forward.
    Denos added: “Shola worked well with Glenn at Newcastle and that's what everyone must be thinking. One thing for certain is that Newcastle would want a hefty transfer fee for him.

READ MORE

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/Ne...-bid-accepted/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NO AMEOBI DEAL - AGENT

Ipswich have not had a £4million bid accepted for Newcastle striker Shola Ameobi, according to the player´s agent.

Reports suggested Town had won the race for the former England Under-21 international, with East Anglia rivals Norwich also interested in the 26-year-old.

The Tractor Boys have refused to make any comment but Ameobi´s agent Steven Denos dismissed the reports as "speculation".

source:
    http://www.givemefootball.com/news.h...&type=domestic