Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ameobi?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ameobi?

Is shola ameobi worth a DP slot? I've seen him play a few times and was impressed, and when he was healthy at Newcastle, he had a couple of stretches where he scored pretty regularly.

But he's had hip problems, same as Huckerby, and missed a lot of time. He also had a pretty torrid time at Stoke on loan, failing to score and spending a lot of time watching.

Certainly, as a pure finisher he'd be up there with MLS' best. But what about the health issues?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoops, two threads on the same topic posted at the time. can we merge, mods?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id say yes, id put him above Huckerby simply because of his youth and the fact that hes a natural striker (if im not mistaken).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huckerby actually started off as a natural striker as well, they moved him to the wing later on. But the point on age is a good one; also might be why he wouldn't come over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so is this DP worthy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tough to say; he had two stretches for newcastle where he was scoring 1-in-2 and at MLS level, he'd bury most of the chances he gets. On that basis, sure.

But he's spent half his career in doctors' offices, near as I can tell. In that respect, he's kind of like Michael Chopra, a very promising young newcastle striker who's never really made the grade. Of course, most of the brit pundits said the same thing about Angel, and he's been successful here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Huckerby actually started off as a natural striker as well, they moved him to the wing later on. But the point on age is a good one; also might be why he wouldn't come over.
    I honestly dont think Ameobi will be coming over simply because of his age. However i do think if he did he'd be quite successful. I do realize that Huckerby was a striker but having played out of that position for so long it may affect his playing. Id personally rather just have a striker that hasnt strayed from that position (and has less injuries).

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ameobi's only 26. He would be a phenomenal signing if Carver can convince him to come here and be the man.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would welcome the addition! I like his style...

Although, i'm just not convinced it's worth the DP slot. So with that being said, if we can sign him without using the DP slot, then i say bring him on!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    I would welcome the addition! I like his style...

Although, i'm just not convinced it's worth the DP slot. So with that being said, if we can sign him without using the DP slot, then i say bring him on!!!
    TFCRW, think of it as a half-season gamble; the DP slot doesn't necessarily tie us to the player long-term, just means we can't use it again while he's under contract. But Dallas showed with Denilson last year that you can cut a DP loose if necessary.

We need a poacher/gamebreaker type; someone with major wheels, who can beat a man, but also has strength and can finish. We need a cut-rate Torres type. That might be ameobi, even with the injury history, although his strike rate doesn't suggest it.

Pauleta has been suggested, but he had a subpar year with PSG at age 35 (eight goals, his lowest output in years) and is too small, I think, to play in a 4-5-1. And given how dominant our defense has been since we switched to two holding mids, I can't see carver messing with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave from Newcastle would become Dave from Toronto - on the Setanta Special One spoofs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You really can't judge how great Ameobi, Pauleta etc. would be in the MLS based on their strike rate in Europe. Angel had something like 14 goals in his last three seasons with Villa- not stunning. I'd suggest that the mere fact they're playing in those leagues is evidence enough that they would most likely kill in MLS, as Angel has done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's above class compared to what we have on the team now, so even as a DP, sign him up. MLSE has the money.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 26-year-old striker has so far turned down a permanent move to newly-promoted Stoke, despite a Ģ4 million deal being agreed with Newcastle.
    Is he worth it Ģ4 million?

Read more
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a lot more money than I'm willing to bet MLS would sanction. They will pay transfers, but they're not going to pay 4 million pounds for a 1-in-4 striker, no matter where he plays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if carver can get Robert and Guevara to play well together with there reputations i think he can get the best out of Amoebi with no doubts!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SLBuu View Post
    if carver can get Robert and Guevara to play well together with there reputations i think he can get the best out of Amoebi with no doubts!!!
    Not in doubt; but look at the odds: he's on at least 20,000 per week, he's rated at $4m plus for transfer and would be going to a turf team despite a history of injuries ( and I won't even get into the recent studies showing the new turf is safe; it's his perception that counts, not reality).

Add all these things up and I don't see this one happening. Oh, and he's only 26 or something, to boot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i never said we were getting him, im just saying if we did i dont doubt carver will be able to get him up to level.......

im hoping this goes through and i think whinsper will be able to work his magic if he Amoebi does come here. At the same time i dont have my head in the clouds and realize this is far from being a reality.

fingers crossed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SLBuu View Post
    i never said we were getting him, im just saying if we did i dont doubt carver will be able to get him up to level.......

im hoping this goes through and i think whinsper will be able to work his magic if he Amoebi does come here. At the same time i dont have my head in the clouds and realize this is far from being a reality.

fingers crossed.
    I wonder if they're trying to get him on loan? Lots of loan deals include picking up the salary and options to buy.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Tough to say; he had two stretches for newcastle where he was scoring 1-in-2 and at MLS level, he'd bury most of the chances he gets. On that basis, sure.

But he's spent half his career in doctors' offices, near as I can tell. In that respect, he's kind of like Michael Chopra, a very promising young newcastle striker who's never really made the grade. Of course, most of the brit pundits said the same thing about Angel, and he's been successful here.

Why post a stupid thread on a player you already know the answer to.

The fact taht you would consider a DP slot for a palyer who your saying has spent half his career in the doctor's office shows you have no concept on how to build a team.

what a joke i think you post threads just for the hell of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giambac View Post
    Why post a stupid thread on a player you already know the answer to.

The fact taht you would consider a DP slot for a palyer who your saying has spent half his career in the doctor's office shows you have no concept on how to build a team.

what a joke i think you post threads just for the hell of it.
    Hey enough beating around the fucking bush!! Why don't you tell him how you really feel?! Jeez relax, bud.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

giambac, you seem to be in a grumpy, troll-like mood today, but that's nothing unusual. It's a realistic possibility. How about you read the news. He's 26, has a history with Carver and has played in the Premier league. You think he's going to come here for 300k?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    You think he's going to come here for 300k?
    Never.
    A) its Canada
    b) Its 300k canadian, dudes making 20k or so a week

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Never.
    A) its Canada
    b) Its 300k canadian, dudes making 20k or so a week
    Sorry, I should have added a sarcastic smiley there. I'm well aware he's not going to come here for $300k....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

giambac, you seem to be in a grumpy, troll-like mood today, but that's nothing unusual. It's a realistic possibility. How about you read the news. He's 26, has a history with Carver and has played in the Premier league. You think he's going to come here for 300k?
    I don't want a project player or a player with "What if's" surrounding him.

What if he remains healthy
    What if he lives up to his potential
    What if , what what if.

Get a player who has proven himself and is not a health risk. I know you can't get a superstar because they wouldn't come to the MLS. But at least get a guy who is healthy. Why gamble. A quaity striker will make this team instant contenders. You have 1 DP slot so don't waste it on a what if.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giambac View Post
    I don't want a project player or a player with "What if's" surrounding him.

What if he remains healthy
    What if he lives up to his potential
    What if , what what if.

Get a player who has proven himself and is not a health risk. I know you can't get a superstar because they wouldn't come to the MLS. But at least get a guy who is healthy. Why gamble. A quaity striker will make this team instant contenders. You have 1 DP slot so don't waste it on a what if.
    Im with you on that.
    I think to a certain extent his injuries are being blown out of proportion in this thread. Huckerby on the other hand...

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Now that's a valid way to make your point
    I think he would do well here, but there are always going to be question marks about players coming here to MLS...that's why they come.

Injuries, mentality, durability, age, etc... a lot of the DPs around the league have those questions hanging over them.

Some work out (like Angel or Blanco) some flop (like Denilson).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that's a valid way to make your point
    I think he would do well here, but there are always going to be question marks about players coming here to MLS...that's why they come.

Injuries, mentality, durability, age, etc... a lot of the DPs around the league have those questions hanging over them.

Some work out (like Angel or Blanco) some flop (like Denilson).
    Got a good point there, i do also think that Winsper (sp?) will make a difference too on most injured players (as does age, thats why im so against Huckerby).

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah I think that strength and conditioning can make a huge difference for injury-prone players. Either that or luck but I believe that with good flexibility and proper bodily alignment a lot of injuries, especially of the strain variety, can be avoided.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reports out of England on Wednesday indicated that Toronto FC is interested in signing striker Shola Ameobi...

http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=23846...=secStory_main