RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Today’s News, Wednesday , May.21

TFC's Carver explains questionable tactic

Mark Masters, National Post

TORONTO -- Some might call John Carver's approach of splitting his players into two different locker rooms divisive, but the first-year coach of Toronto FC likes to think of it as a motivational tactic.
    When Toronto players gather at BMO Field for practices or games, the senior players head to the main dressing room while the players not yet deemed to be at that level are consigned to a different one.
    "We have this thing here where we've tried to create - because back in England this is how we do it - we have two dressing rooms," said Carver, who coached with Newcastle, Leeds United and Luton Town before coming to Toronto.
    "You have to earn the right to get from that developmental or young dressing room into the first-team dressing room."
    Forward Jarrod Smith is the latest player to be promoted from the developmental room to the senior one. He said making the jump up is a relief.
    "It's obviously something where it's a lot better being there now in terms of feeling a part of the team and being amongst the older fellows and being around them every morning and just becoming part of the team makes you feel more at home," said Smith, who has played in five games and scored one goal.
    Carver said Smith's reaction is exactly what he wants players to take from his carrot-and-stick approach.
    "I know it's not a huge thing to many people but, within this setup, it's massive. Now I want the other younger players in the club to see that, and think, ‘Well if he can do it then I'm gong to work as he has to get into that dressing room.' "
    It is a message players like Nana Attakora-Gyan, Kilian Elkinson, Gabe Galo, Andrea Lombardo and Joey Melo must heed if they hope to move into one of the three slots still available in the senior locker room.
    While Carver said the strategy is common across the pond, it is not something that has been picked up on in North America, at least by most MLS coaches.
    Toronto FC captain Jim Brennan, who played in England for 10 years before coming to the MLS, said the two-tier strategy is a good way of keeping younger players from getting too cocky.
    "I think if you put everybody together it makes it a bit easy for the young guys because they think that they've made it," said Brennan. "Whereas, now they're over in that dressing room and they're hungry, they want to play on the first team, they want their spot, they want their name on their locker."
    Smith and the others in the senior room can rest easy because Carver said once someone gets the call up he is likely there to stay.
    And it is hard to quibble with Carver's approach. Toronto FC is unbeaten in five matches heading into Wednesday night's game against D.C. United at BMO Field.

Surging Toronto hosts struggling United
    05/20 06:30:13 ET
    Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Toronto FC ended the Columbus Crew's five-game win streak Saturday with a 0-0 tie, but coach John Carver was pleased that his team wasn't.
    "The pleasing thing is," Carver said, "they're all sitting in there very, very disappointed."
    Toronto played well enough to beat the Crew, who have the best record in Major League Soccer, but still extended its unbeaten stretch to a club-record five games with the draw.
    "It's unfortunate we didn't capitalize and we ended up not getting the full three points, which I believe we deserved," TFC defender Marvell Wynne said.
    Veteran striker Danny Dichio also wanted the win, of course, but said, "we've got to give ourselves a little pat on the back."
    Toronto, which had the worst record in MLS last year, has been on a roll since losing its first two games this season - to Columbus and D.C. United.
    TFC has a chance to avenge one of those losses this week. Toronto hosts United on Wednesday night in the first game of a home and away series. Toronto visits D.C. on Saturday. ...

Read more

TFC hoping United will fall
    By SUN MEDIA

Last time they knocked shins, D.C. United buried Toronto FC 4-1 in its home opener.
    Tonight the Reds hope to return the funeral rites.
    Since that opening night the fortunes of the two MLS teams have gone in opposite directions. A win by Toronto tonight would slam the basement door on United, leaving them nine points in arrears.
    The Reds are on a five-game unbeaten streak, including a tie against MLS leading Columbus and a win over the L.A. Galaxy. They haven't lost actually since that April 5 debacle in Washington after a hard-earned 0-0 tie Saturday against Columbus.
    "I think the boys are a bit disappointed in the change room and that kind of shows you (how far) we've come this year," coach John Carver said after the goalless draw. "Last year we would've lost that game ... now, they're sitting in there feeling disappointed."

Read more

Edu fighting to be fit

Toronto FC midfielder Mo Edu is fighting to be fit for Wednesday night's game against D.C. United at BMO Field. Kick off is at 7:30 p.m. live on The Score. The 2007 MLS Rookie of the Year has been receiving treatment on a leg injury. Coach John Carver is hoping Edu will be able to play. "I'd say he's got a 75 per cent chance of playing at the moment. He's been improving a lot every day since the weekend so I'll give him as much time as possible to recover before I name the team," said Carver....

Read more

SUNSHINE
    Last edited by denime; 05-21-2008 at 09:12 AM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !