Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and on that bombshell, let the slagging continue.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"What ifs" are projections, not reality. They can also work the other way around where you get nothing. The real value of the trade won't be known for some time but as a player he's a bust, there is no doubt about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and considering we literally gave up nothing for him, I fail to see a reason to get worked up about.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yes...I forgot we have the perennial apologist here.

What there is to get upset about is regardless of what we did or did not give up to get him, he now plays for TFC and he has failed to show the proper respect and effort to a team and it's fans who are technically paying his salary. He has been here over a month and done nothing for the team but manages to play a full 90 for his national squad. If that doesn't bother you, that's fine. It bothers most of us.

And this has not cost us "nothing" for those of you running around saying it has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    If Mo can turn around and deal Ruiz for $ or real draft pick then that is a miracle. He dealt 2 supplemental draft picks that he would have walked away from the draft without using for the little Fish.
    Even if we get nothing for him, we traded two useless draft picks away for a player that might have helped us out. It was a risk, but a calculated one as we were not going to get anything of value out of those two supplemental picks.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge_Red View Post
    I bring up the question of why he was brought here in the first place?
    Why not?
    We were extremely thin up front. Mo hardly had to give up anything in order to obtain him, and why wouldn't you take a risk on a player that was previously one of the leagues most prolific scorers? It's very easy in thie league to dump salary, so it's basically a no risk situation. If Ruiz magically becomes the scorer he was, then we celebrate, if he doesn't, we easliy dump him and look for a better solution in the off-season.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm confused - What happened to all the "honour of playing for the TFC jersey" and all that stuff?

Now as long as its a good bit of Biz for Mo(e) its somehow ok that this D-bag plays for our club?

I'm not burning my ST's over this guy or anything, but I sure as hell wouldn't shed any tears if he was dumped from the squad.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    I'm confused - What happened to all the "honour of playing for the TFC jersey" and all that stuff?

Now as long as its a good bit of Biz for Mo(e) its somehow ok that this D-bag plays for our club?

I'm not burning my ST's over this guy or anything, but I sure as hell wouldn't shed any tears if he was dumped from the squad.
    ^Word...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Mo can turn around and deal Ruiz for $ or real draft pick then that is a miracle. He dealt 2 supplemental draft picks that he would have walked away from the draft without using for the little Fish.
    Good call dude I had forgotten they were supplemental picks. Anyways I question some moves trader Mo has made for instance look what we ended up with after trading away Serioux for O'Brien.... If first round picks like JJ are anything to go by we got shafted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yes I forgot, everyone is supposed to be overly negative about anything and everything that happens to this club.

Enjoy the bitchfests mah fuckahs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    What there is to get upset about is regardless of what we did or did not give up to get him, he now plays for TFC and he has failed to show the proper respect and effort to a team and it's fans who are technically paying his salary. He has been here over a month and done nothing for the team but manages to play a full 90 for his national squad. If that doesn't bother you, that's fine. It bothers most of us..
    Honestly, I blame the stupid MLS system for this more than I blame Ruiz. He didn't want to come here in the first place, but he didn't have a choice in the matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yes...I forgot we have the perennial apologist here.

And this has not cost us "nothing" for those of you running around saying it has.
    Please enlighten us all on what it has cost.

2 supplemental draft picks? Worthless.
    Salary Cap space? Paid for by MLS.
    Roster spot? Window had already closed so only would have been a player within MLS who would have been traded for.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about being objective about what is wrong and being able to discuss it without seeing it through rose-coloured glasses and constantly referring to "what ifs" to provide the foundation of arguments?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Honestly, I blame the stupid MLS system for this more than I blame Ruiz. He didn't want to come here in the first place, but he didn't have a choice in the matter.
    Agreed.

But professionalism dictates that once here, he would give his all. Anyone convinced he has?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you telling me Ruiz is the only player on the team not playing his heart out?

I'm not saying I want the guy here, he hasn't improved us, but we spent two supplementary draft picks, that we literally tossed aside last year, for a guy who has proven when he's on, he's fucking on. It was a risk, but barely since we needed someone up front and we basically got him for *almost* nothing.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please enlighten us all on what it has cost.

2 supplemental draft picks? Worthless.
    Salary Cap space? Paid for by MLS.
    Roster spot? Window had already closed so only would have been a player within MLS who would have been traded for.
    By your rationale then most players "cost us" nothing.

And it should it matter to a player whether he cost the team lots or little? Shouldn't there be an element of pride and respecting the team and the fans? I must be crazy...
    Last edited by Roogsy; 10-14-2008 at 01:20 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 125_TFC View Post
    Why not?
    We were extremely thin up front. Mo hardly had to give up anything in order to obtain him, and why wouldn't you take a risk on a player that was previously one of the leagues most prolific scorers? It's very easy in thie league to dump salary, so it's basically a no risk situation. If Ruiz magically becomes the scorer he was, then we celebrate, if he doesn't, we easliy dump him and look for a better solution in the off-season.
    I'm unhappy with these mid season patch jobs we keep getting. There's no direction or foundation being built.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By your rationale then most players "cost us" nothing.
    Have we actually spent money to acquire Ruiz? Have we lost players to acquire him?

Please, enlighten me on how we've 'spent' money since according to you this 'has not cost us nothing'.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this the logic I'm supposed to ignore?

This is why I can't stand Guevara... He's a creepy diver.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    Have we actually spent money to acquire Ruiz? Have we lost players to acquire him?

Please, enlighten me on how we've 'spent' money since according to you this 'has not cost us nothing'.
    So he came free did he? I feel better informed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm unhappy with these mid season patch jobs we keep getting. There's no direction or foundation being built.

We're a second year team, trying to find out feet. Players aren't working out as planned, it happens. We also haven't had a single full pre-season with our coach and players to build any foundations on either.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do players still get paid a salary? Just asking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please, tell me where we've spent something other than useless supplementary draft picks to acquire Ruiz. Honestly, I've never seen anything that signifies differently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're really picking at straws here. Let's not get lost in petty semantics.

Cost is relative - we traded two supplemental draft picks. What would we have gotten for them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about being objective about what is wrong and being able to discuss it without seeing it through rose-coloured glasses and constantly referring to "what ifs" to provide the foundation of arguments?
    How about being objective about what the move was. It was a gamble to see if a guy could somehow find his form and help the team make a push for the playoffs. The team had excess salary cap space so they could afford to bring him in and see if it worked or not. It did not .... but all it cost us was 2 meaningless picks that would not have been used. Now there is the possibility that those 2 meaningless picks will be turned into tangible assets.

At no point did anyone say that Ruiz was going to be the face of the franchise and lead it for the next 4 years. He was a gamble .... a rent a player with virtually no downside (cost us nothing to acquire and no long term contract to burden us in the future if he did not turn out).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Kingpin View Post
    Do players still get paid a salary? Just asking.

Like, if they're injured... if they are dropped...? You gotta have more in that question

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yes I forgot, everyone is supposed to be overly negative about anything and everything that happens to this club.

Enjoy the bitchfests mah fuckahs.
    It's not being negative it's questioning rationale. In this case yes it was low risk buy bringing him... but where do we go from here another misfit or grab our balls and bring in quality.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough, I agree with you on that. But I just see Ruiz, as much as I despise him, as a risk worth taking. At the time we traded for him, we were desperate. Bringing in one more player isn't going to kill the team, he really could only help us. It was risk on a short term fix, that's all.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're a second year team, trying to find out feet. Players aren't working out as planned, it happens. We also haven't had a single full pre-season with our coach and players to build any foundations on either.

Just hoping this trend comes to an end my brother, or next year will be very similar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not being negative it's questioning rationale. In this case yes it was low risk buy bringing him... but where do we go from here another misfit or grab our balls and bring in quality.

In the off season, yes I agree. At a point in the season when we were hurting and needed firepower, it was a gamble (barely) that we had to take.

As for the negative, I was aiming that at the general TFC section.