Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Atmosphere at BMO Field is unmatched in Toronto...

Ok.. so I'll start off by admitting something I'm ashamed of.

I missed my first TFC game of the year last night, by scalping tix to the Leafs home opener v Montreal with my buddy whose birthday it was. It was only my 2nd Leaf game ever- my first in 6 years.

I don't even want to get started on the asshole businessmen scalper, who's also scalping tickets to TFC games he told me btw..

So I'm reading the paper this morning (Globe I think), and they gave ratings for the game based on things such as the team's performance, one I forget, and atmosphere. They gave an A rating for atmosphere, saying the fan's a capella of O Canada was 'spine-tingling', or something like that.

Well you know what? I thought the atmosphere was SHITE! Even before we gave up 5 unanswered goals, the crowd was a dud, except for the Montreal fans and their fuckin 'Ole Ole Ole' crap. I got up and started mouthin off to the Canadiens fans, and they enjoyed it as they were clearly having a good time, being all rowdy and whatnot. To my shock some old woman comes up to me and asks me 'if I'm alright?'. Being that she was about 70 years old I resisted chirping back and just ignored her, but overall that pretty much summed up the night.

No passion, no backbone, no heart. I figured that it would be worth shilling out the money to see the supposed greatest rivalry in hockey, on home opening night, coming off a huge upset win in Detroit. Well I guessed wrong. I'm not going to another Leafs game this year, maybe not for a long, long time.

I miss BMO! I don't know how I'm going to get through the offseason this year... there's nothing to fill the void unless I can get some time off work to fly overseas. You take it for granted, but after seeing the alternative, I'm thankful for every moment I've spent in that wonderful red palace down on Lakeshore. For fucks sake we couldn't even get a 'Go Leafs Go' chant going for longer than 10 seconds!! The stopping of play, the long intermissions, the non-stop advertising and corporated sponsored fluff, the stupid announcer... it was unbearable.

Thank you MLSE for taking a risk on this franchise, and thank you Toronto football fans for providing a proper sporting experience for the city.

-ochos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you paid money for a leaf game what a waste money I won free tickets last year and i was bored out of my mind

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find I'm always comparing all my live sports matches with a game at BMO Field, and to be honest, I've yet to find an experience that even comes close. And NHL match at the ACC doesn't even come close. Argonauts? Not quite. Watching the Generals play here in Oshawa is good times, but still not the same.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nascar-

double face value.. i know i know but it was my friend's birthday and I just wanted to have a good time, wasn't worried too much cuz we were going to spend lots anyways. I'm on a personal vendetta next year to track down every scalper at BMO and ruin their business.. the alternative is winding up with the same situations the leafs have, only at BMO. Do you want to see a hundred pedophile scalpers and more rich snobs who leave halfway through the game?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nascarguy View Post
    you paid money for a leaf game what a waste money I won free tickets last year and i was bored out of my mind
    I think the Leafs are actually going to be a fun team to watch this year. A lot more tough and chippy than they have been in a while.

Even though they will probably go 1-81 this season.

Not to get off topic...

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I find I'm always comparing all my live sports matches with a game at BMO Field, and to be honest, I've yet to find an experience that even comes close. And NHL match at the ACC doesn't even come close. Argonauts? Not quite. Watching the Generals play here in Oshawa is good times, but still not the same.
    I find myself wondering a lot, when I'm at BMO, what it would sound like if we had a proper roof over the place.

It'd probably be at least twice as loud...

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I think the Leafs are actually going to be a fun team to watch this year. A lot more tough and chippy than they have been in a while.

Even though they will probably go 1-81 this season.

Not to get off topic...

- Scott
    I was glad to see all young faces, but I didn't see an ouce of toughness exhibited last night. We were getting checked on our asses all night- at home- and I didn't one nice hit by a Leaf player. It was driving me nuts, I was screaming my head off...

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I find myself wondering a lot, when I'm at BMO, what it would sound like if we had a proper roof over the place.

It'd probably be at least twice as loud...

- Scott
    Oh for sure it would! And keeping the sun off our heads during high summer would give us a bit more energy as well.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if we get people to get signing the full 90, bmo will be top class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jays games are more fun in the 500 level than leafs games. cheaper tickets and more drinking. fans actually pay attention (well those not on dates). and if you get to an AL East rivalry type game, it's usually solid. i always have fun at jays games.

nothing compared to TFC, but better than leafs games as far as atmosphere, and i believe ticket prices play an important role.

I_AM_CANADIAN

The ACC has got a shit atmosphere. Even if I could afford to go to games there, I wouldn't. It's probably the worst building in the league in terms of atmosphere, absolutely shameful for the hockey capital of the world. You get a much better atmosphere for Leaf away games because it's only the real fans who make the trip to Buffalo, NY, etc. You don't get the f*cking suits occupying the entire lower bowl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to the Raptors pre-season game today versus the 76ers. my seats were in the gold section at about half court. These tickets were given to me by a family member, face value was something ridiculous like $180. As I sat through out the whole game all I could think about was great the atmosphere at BMO field is.

There was hardly any cheering, besides the polite clapping when a basket was scored. Really the only time there was anything close to noise was when a guy holding a massive flag saying NOISE ran around the court. Leaf game atmosphere's are even worse.

This off season is going to be tough to get through. This weekend is our last home game, though we don't yet have a roof, We need to blow the roof off BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to make a comparison it being pre-season but the atmosphere at Raps games is at least better than Leafs and Jays.

Bills games can get pretty close, I was at the home opener this year and the place rocked. It had been raining so there was no sitting down on wet seats which helped out big time. Hoping for the same craziness at the Monday Night game.

But by far BMO is the most fun I've ever had being in the stands at a sporting event, last winter was tough to get through.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too have made the mistake of going to a hockey game once, I feel your pain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any game these days that have tv timeouts, fan contest/giveaways, in your face commercials during the game, video screen chanting go"insert team name" go, and all the rest of that shit that gets in the way of the game being played.......i pretty much dont go to anymore.....so its soccer and rugby only for me atm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smeghead View Post
    Any game these days that have tv timeouts, fan contest/giveaways, in your face commercials during the game, video screen chanting go"insert team name" go, and all the rest of that shit that gets in the way of the game being played.......i pretty much dont go to anymore.....so its soccer and rugby only for me atm.
    where do you watch rugby? at unis or highschools?

doesn't the canadian mens team play in BC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Cheeba View Post
    where do you watch rugby? at unis or highschools?

doesn't the canadian mens team play in BC?
    The national mens rugby have been playing alot lately in the east. this years churchill cup was played in toronto, ottawa, and kingston. they also played a couple of games at york uni and one at fletchers fields. too bad they dont win much tho. stll good to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smeghead View Post
    The national mens rugby have been playing alot lately in the east. this years churchill cup was played in toronto, ottawa, and kingston. they also played a couple of games at york uni and one at fletchers fields. too bad they dont win much tho. stll good to watch.
    I love going to Fletcher's. It's a real experience!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to a Leafs/Canadians game last year on a Tuesday night...It was a funeral! Some guys at the top tried to get a weak ass Go Leafs Go chant going but it failed 10 secs in.

The only Toronto sporting event that rivaled BMO, was Raps playoff games when they made it to the second round. I went to all of their playoff games and it was SOOOO loud in the ACC. Great atmosphere.

But on a year to year basis their is no rival. I enjoy Jays games, but that experience is totally different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    I went to a Leafs/Canadians game last year on a Tuesday night...It was a funeral! Some guys at the top tried to get a weak ass Go Leafs Go chant going but it failed 10 secs in.

The only Toronto sporting event that rivaled BMO, was Raps playoff games when they made it to the second round. I went to all of their playoff games and it was SOOOO loud in the ACC. Great atmosphere.

But on a year to year basis their is no rival. I enjoy Jays games, but that experience is totally different.
    I used to enjoy Argos games as I always felt that those crowds made a lot of noise relative to Leafs and Jays supporters but that was before TFC came along. Nothing in this town compares to TFC at BMO!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leafs game atmosphere is brutal. A funeral has a better atmosphere then Leaf games at the ACC. From my exspeirence this is how i would rate the atmosphere for teams in this City:

1) TFC - by farrrr the best atmosphere game in and game out
    2) Raptors - season games are ok, it gets pretty loud when its a close game and comming to the last few minutes of the game. In the playoffs they got a great atmosphere, very loud.
    3) Argos - Most there fans are pretty passionate about there team, they just play in a shit stadium thats to big for them. Smaller stadium would create a much better atmosphere (but stay out of BMO field!!!!!!)
    4) Blue Jays - Its a slow sport, its hard to get to crazy
    5) Toronto Maple Leafs - no atmosphere what so ever
    6) Toronto Marlies - noise is probably the same as Leafs games only difference being that Marlies games only have about 2,000 fans sitting on there hands making no noise compared to 19,000 at the ACC.
    Last edited by james; 10-12-2008 at 10:19 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Oh for sure it would! And keeping the sun off our heads during high summer would give us a bit more energy as well.
    The stomping on the bleachers would probably sound AMAZING with a roof, too. Nothing like a crazy mix of chanting, singing, and what sounds like nonstop thunderclaps.

Oh man, I'm getting frisky just thinking about it...

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a shame, really. I know the hockey, baseball and basketball fans in town would love to copy the same kind of atmosphere, but for some reason they don't. Not sure why. They all have the numbers to get something great going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maple Leafs gardens had a much better atmosphere. They didnt have all the suits that ACC has.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    It's a shame, really. I know the hockey, baseball and basketball fans in town would love to copy the same kind of atmosphere, but for some reason they don't. Not sure why. They all have the numbers to get something great going.
    They are too 'good' for that. Support like we have is left to peasants in their minds...

Outside of Hockey in this country no other sport gets rabid support. And even then you will never see a Hockey Game in this country with the kind of organized support you see at BMO. Not even close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post

ya it can easily be done, just a matter of if these fans in other sports know anything about Ultras culture that goes in other countries. Maybe its just a matter of time before they do start up some group like TFC have. I hope anyways then maybe i could go to some games in the off season!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys make me laugh.

So quick to jump down the throats of soccer haters in this town, but are the first to jump down the throats of everything other then TFC.

Let's face it, we live in the Countries greatest city and we're fortunate to have the option of supporting many different types of sporting events. You don't like hockey? fine, but what gives you the right to piss on it? Especially when you take a personal vendetta when somebody slams soccer and/or TFC?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crowd support at TFC games at most people have stated is like no other in this city, actually if you want to experience real noise at the ACC go to a Rock game, it tends to be a much younger crowd, not a corporate one.

Major college sports, football and basketball are really noisey, some of the best I have experienced, being at the Big House at Michigan with over 109,000 people was an experience like nothing else.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    You guys make me laugh.

So quick to jump down the throats of soccer haters in this town, but are the first to jump down the throats of everything other then TFC.

Let's face it, we live in the Countries greatest city and we're fortunate to have the option of supporting many different types of sporting events. You don't like hockey? fine, but what gives you the right to piss on it? Especially when you take a personal vendetta when somebody slams soccer and/or TFC?
    amazing post. we should sing a song for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    You guys make me laugh.

We arent slamming the other sports we are slamming the other sports atmosphere because its true. I like other sports to, i follow the Leafs. But come on you gotta admit the atmosphere brutal. Montreal or Calgary or Edmonton all got better atmosphere then the Leafs. Its no secret that Leaf games are filled with people wearring suits and a funeral has a better atmosphere. I wish it was better because id like to attend more Leaf games but its not even worth it. Now going to a Hockey game to see Lausanne HC in europe or a Basketball game in greece or Serbia....now thats a a sick atmosphere exsperience!
    Last edited by james; 10-12-2008 at 11:20 PM.