Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Detroit in MLS. Whaddya Think?

I came across this blog just now. The blogger makes a case to bring an MLS team to Detroit:

http://lifein118.blogspot.com/2008/1...o-detroit.html

Now, I don't know how much of a chance they got but IMO I think Detroit could support an MLS team better than half of the existing cities right now (I'm lookin' at YOU, Columbus!). And just think of the intensity a Toronto-Detroit derby could bring.

Maybe I'm biased, but I would love to see it happen. Wouldn't you?
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better than Columbus? Most likely, but they couldn't sell out playoff games for the Cup-winning Wings so what does that tell you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Detroit is shit! it would be a BAD BAD move...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think anybody is against Detroit, I just don't think anyone from there has put in a bid. The blogger say Garber should wake up and realize how great the city would be, but is he supposed go there and put together an ownership group himself?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4 hour road trip sounds like a great idea.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the words of en vogue

"never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get it never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never get it"

Too many other better choices at this point, also, its Detroit

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So many better options...Detroit is suffering the most of all the big cities during this US crisis. Shoot...they were suffering when people thought everything was going hunky-dory!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The closer it is for me to get to an away game the better. I'm all for a team in Detroit!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Body armour - Check
    Gun - Check
    Bullet Proof Windows - Check
    Ticket - Check

Ok I am ready for a Detroit road trip...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge_Red View Post
    Body armour - Check
    Gun - Check
    Bullet Proof Windows - Check
    Ticket - Check

Ok I am ready for a Detroit road trip...
    It's all about proper preparation
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC shows that MLS needs to be "Downtown"
    not in the 'burbs.

Downtown Detroit doesn't seem like a good idea for a 25,000 SSS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    not in the 'burbs.

why not ?the NFL,MLB and NHL teams all play downtown and draw very well.plus there is alot of available land downtown(most of it owned by Mr.Ilitch),they could call it Little Ceasars Park LOL
    Last edited by GeorgeB; 10-10-2008 at 05:01 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose13 View Post
    4 hour road trip sounds like a great idea.
    Are you counting the trip through the metal detectors?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm starting to not give a fuck who gets teams anymore. i'm not a fan of the expansion process. hurry up already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
    why not ?the NFL,MLB and NHL teams all play downtown and draw very well.plus there is alot of available land downtown(most of it owned by Mr.Ilitch),they could call it Little Ceasars Park LOL
    The Lions were third last in attendance last year, 61000 average in a 65000 seat stadium. and as mentioned, the Red Wings have playoff games that haven't sold out, in what is supposed to be "Hockeytown".
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way. Seriously, the city is hemorrhaging people and jobs left, right, and centre.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Detroit for Soccer i dont know, might work. But Detroit has been sufferring for years now, city seems to be on the down hill since the 80's and still going down. Population has been decreassing and so have jobs. I herd Detroit Red Wings havent been selling all there tickets out lately is due to tickets costing to much. Tho there is a big population in Detroit not that many people have the money to spend on exspensive tickets. I think the tigers just do average on sales in baseball and the Lions do below average on tickets sales compared to other NFL teams do and i believe they are actually losing money these days, tho what do they exspect, they have been shit for a long time now. I think the Pistons do quite well tho on selling tickets.

But all these teams have been around for a long time, im sure if Detroit was in the shape it is now back when all these teams first started they may have thought twice before giving them pro teams!
    Last edited by james; 10-10-2008 at 09:33 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Cheeba View Post
    i'm starting to not give a fuck who gets teams anymore. i'm not a fan of the expansion process. hurry up already.
    I guess now that we don't have to wait for our own team who cares if the league screws up the rest of the process?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tho St.Louis really aint any better then Detroit, in fact i think they even worse off as far as city decay and all and yet they in the running for a new MLS team.

big cities with highest crime in USA ranking for 2006:
    1# St Louis
    2# Detroit

Highest murder rate per population for 2006:
    1# Detroit (433 murders)
    5# St. Louis (131 murders)

Decay city population:
    Detrotoit population today 916,00-------in 1960 was 1,849,000
    St.Louis Population today 353,000------in 1960 was 750,000

and just to put it out there for anyones interest comparring it to Toronto
    Toronto population today 2,503,000-------in 1960 was 672,000
    im sure are crime doesnt even register on the scale in crime comparrison with St.Louis and Detroit and are most murders in a year was 84 i think in 2007 and we got population 3 and 6 times as big.
    Last edited by james; 10-10-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I guess now that we don't have to wait for our own team who cares if the league screws up the rest of the process?
    no it's fine. i'm not saying it like that. i don't like the whole "let's bid for a team" i think most of these cities should have a chance to have a team play.. i guess this gives them incentive to actually do something though. i think incentive should be created through promotion and relegation, not who can come up with the nicest stadium and whatnot. i didn't even like the fact that toronto had to make a bid. i don't know. it's just annoying.

if we had an MLS-2 league, then more cities could be included and accomodated. MLS has been set as the top tier of football in North America, an to me it's just basically phasing out USL. sounds like a dickish thing to say, but look at the USL teams making bids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hell why not put a team in hamilton too...lol

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    not in the 'burbs.

Well, they still have the old Tigers stadium still up and nobody seems to know what to do with it.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...00968,0.002688

Plus, there is alot of land around the stadium for expansion.
    Now, I can't see Detroit getting a club (no owner has even mentioned any interest in Detroit), but if they did they could rehash the old 'Corner' and make it a really interesting SSS. Plus, can you imagine the rivally not only with us but with C-Bus as well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone FC View Post
    Well, they still have the old Tigers stadium still up and nobody seems to know what to do with it.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...00968,0.002688

Plus, there is alot of land around the stadium for expansion.
    Now, I can't see Detroit getting a club (no owner has even mentioned any interest in Detroit), but if they did they could rehash the old 'Corner' and make it a really interesting SSS. Plus, can you imagine the rivally not only with us but with C-Bus as well!
    An interesting thought but Detroit is a helluva mess especially now that domestic auto production from the Big Three is tanking.

I would have major concerns about starting up any new sports venture in that city right now or in the near future.

Heck, even the Red Wings are seeing the effects of the massive economic decline of the region.

B

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    tho St.Louis really aint any better then Detroit, in fact i think they even worse off as far as city decay and all and yet they in the running for a new MLS team.

big cities with highest crime in USA ranking for 2006:
    1# St Louis
    2# Detroit

Highest murder rate per population for 2006:
    1# Detroit (433 murders)
    5# St. Louis (131 murders)

Decay city population:
    Detrotoit population today 916,00-------in 1960 was 1,849,000
    St.Louis Population today 353,000------in 1960 was 750,000

and just to put it out there for anyones interest comparring it to Toronto
    Toronto population today 2,503,000-------in 1960 was 672,000
    im sure are crime doesnt even register on the scale in crime comparrison with St.Louis and Detroit and are most murders in a year was 84 i think in 2007 and we got population 3 and 6 times as big.
    Yes, as I've written previous, Detroit is a city in decline but I think the population numbers you list have to be put into context.

The population of the Metro Detroit area is 5.4 million. One has to take into account how, as the inner city declined, the suburbs blossomed.

The Greater St. Louis Area should be put in this context as well. It is 2.8 million. The inner city has a lower population now than it had over 100 years ago (an incredible occurance) but again as the inner city declined the suburbs grew.

We can't ignore those numbers just as we can't forget that the GTA is in the 5 million range.

That said, I don't want to see MLS in either of those cities. It just doesn't make sense to me.

B
    Last edited by Blizzard; 10-12-2008 at 01:31 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    in the words of en vogue

"never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get it never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never get it"

Too many other better choices at this point, also, its Detroit
    +1'd.

Right now Michigan is in no state for anything, as a lot of other people have said. If the Wings are struggling, I doubt whatever team that's starting up in ANY sport could have much success.

There be no money in that area -- and a team needs money. So...yeah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's better options out there. As much as I'd like the 401 Derby, it should not happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stugautz View Post
    There's better options out there. As much as I'd like the 401 Derby, it should not happen.
    Maybe we can agree to support their bid if they agree to keep taking our garbage!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright Detroit, nothing like a road trip to one of the most violent gang-ridden cities in NA. Go MLS! What about East-St. Louis next?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman View Post
    Alright Detroit, nothing like a road trip to one of the most violent gang-ridden cities in NA. Go MLS! What about East-St. Louis next?

Well, technically Collinsville, IL (where they are to put the St. Louis franchise's SSS) is right next to East St. Louis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Canadian that just bought Derby County has already stated that he will be taking the team ona tour of Detroit