Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Cunny - combination of both i believe, everyone said prior to his arrival that he was a locker room cancer, he did ok for a bit then got injured and didnt make a comeback. Started this year ok and went downhill from there. Ill wait to see how he does next year for a final verdict. I rooted for the guy for a long time and near the end turned on him. Cant say i feel bad about it

-Ruiz and huckerby are two diff players. Huckerby was in shape and just coming off a season. i do see what youre saying tho. Dont know if i agree he was invisible, he certainly wasnt carving up the field tho and i dont think we are wrong to expect it somewhat judging by his history. Then again we do have to think about how he was doing in LA where he was getting pretty decent service from Secksy Becksy as well as everyone (including myself) previous hatred for him...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really really dont like Cunny but apparently hes worked with the coach at Dallas before which does help, as does a new environment. I dont see him doing what hes doing in Dallas here and i do think it was necessary to rid of him.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cunningham actually has been amazingly inconsistent. Great on some teams, horrible on others. People say he has an attitude problem with some coaches.

giambac - stop the dishonesty, you were down on Carver ever since he played his second squad to "keep the shirt." Cunningham had nothing to do with it. You're also forgetting that Carver initially tried to work with Cunningham, calling him "an important part of the team." It was missing that sitter that sent Montreal into the CCL that caused Carver to criticize him. We all did too. My 10-year-old could have done that shot.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Cunningham actually has been amazingly inconsistent. Great on some teams, horrible on others. People say he has an attitude problem with some coaches.

giambac - stop the dishonesty, you were down on Carver ever since he played his second squad to "keep the shirt." Cunningham had nothing to do with it. You're also forgetting that Carver initially tried to work with Cunningham, calling him "an important part of the team." It was missing that sitter that sent Montreal into the CCL that caused Carver to criticize him. We all did too. My 10-year-old could have done that shot.
    Correct I was down on Carver ever since he played his second squad vs KC (which now looks like will cost us a playoff spot). What my post says is that what he did to Cunny was the final straw that broke the camels back.

I know Cunny wa splaying bad, he missed opportunities. However, Mo was trying to trade the guy. If you want to speak openely about the guy wait until Mo has traded him. You don't need a university degree to figure that out. Didn't Carver realize that what he was saying and the timing of when he was saying it wasn't appropriate? HE Should have used COMMON SENSE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carver was speaking GOD's words back then....

I love Carver!! I think Carver is smarter than MoJo...

I side with Carver.

Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ So true....

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YEAH what have those bastards done for us lately?!?!

oh right
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    I had my first King Dave experience[...]was blowing in my mouth all game.

I loved it, it tasted like Canada!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azerban View Post
    YEAH what have those bastards done for us lately?!?!

oh right
    QFT.

He's our DP. Get used to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    ^People/teams want Carver...why are people on this forum so willing to let him go? When you have an asset, you don't just let it go on a whim!

because for some reason some people seem to think 3 coaches in 3 years will some how be beneficial to Toronto FC and win us an MLS Cup.

Last edited by SLBuu; 01-07-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey i am very happy to have DERO. But a solid Dp pick up could put us over the top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    QFT.

He's our DP. Get used to it.
    Waste of money if thats the case.
    Quality player. No where near DP though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I blame MLSE and their profiteering ways, not Mo. Where the hell is the DP??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marco2K View Post
    Hey i am very happy to have DERO. But a solid Dp pick up could put us over the top.
    DeRo doesn't solve our lack of a strong finisher up front. He also doesn't shore up our weak, undermanned defense.

I'm kind of perturbed by the number of people who are willing to say "he brought us DeRo - that is enough".

DeRo makes our midfield a force to be reckoned with, and gives us a ranged threat. But last I checked, our midfield wasn't our weak point last season.

I'm not insistent that we NEED a DP - but we need higher calibre players up front, and at the back. And with a lot of cap space left to burn, allocation out the ass, as well as an empty DP spot - this would be a good time to get on the DP bandwagon.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My fear is that Johnson is so focussed on building from youth that they'll spend all of their time working on draft-based signings. We're already seeing discussions between other teams (mostly seattle and san jose) and notable European players, but not a peep out of here.

My suspicion is that that has more to do with media silence for competitive reasons on the club's part and a willingness to let the issue go because it's the off season on the part of the media.

In fact, with two more months to go before the season starts, we've still got a lot of time to make moves.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just read the article again about Carver's ultimatum. It's fitting when you figure that so much recent talk on the subject has been rekindled lately, so just give me a sec as I put the same old record on once again...

Carver has shown time and time again that he's on the side of the supporters; and if people don't recognise that fact, I'm afraid there is no hope for them. If you can't see with your own eyes how much this guy wants the club to succeed, I don't think you'll ever really "get it".

When the subject of Designated Players first came up, Mo and MLSE came up with all the caveats and non-committal remarks they could muster. And most of us believe exactly what they were saying. Now, here we are in 2009 selling out season ticket packages in the span of a week or so and still raking in the dough second only to the Galaxy with regards to revenue.

We deserve a DP and we deserve a coach like John Carver.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 01-08-2009 at 07:04 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Carver has shown time and time again that he's on the side of the supporters; and if people don't recognise that fact, I'm afraid there is no hope for them. If you can't see with your own eyes how much this guy wants the club to succeed, I don't think you'll ever really "get it".

When the subject of Designated Players first came up, Mo and MLSE came up with all the caveats and non-committal remarks they could muster. And most of us believe exactly what they were saying. Now, here we are in 2009 selling out season ticket packages in the span of a week or so and still raking in the dough second only to the Galaxy with regards to revenue.

We deserve a DP and we deserve a coach like John Carver.
    Well said. There is still lots of time to get a DP done and add a CB or two.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I hope so. I'm not throwing in the towel yet, but I'm pulling out hair over the lack of official word on this.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get me wrong, if we get a good DP striker I'll be thrilled. However, I'll also be cautious because I'd be interested to see what kind of moves Mo will need to make to accommodate the DP. Between DeRo and a new DP, all the allocation money Mo has stockpiled will be virtually used up which will mean that the club will have little flexibility to sign a good CB which we can all agree this club needs. Will Mo ship Marshall to Seattle? Will this team have to sacrifice a player like Ricketts for example? I know that we have some terrible deficiencies in the goal scoring department, but will we have to get even weaker in other areas just to accomodate a DP? A balanced team is a good team, we can score a 4 or 5 goals a game, but it won't help us if we are allowing the opposition to score 5 or 6. Just ask the LA Galaxy.

I think the DP has been made more of an issue due to statements made by management and JC in the past. It got the fans' hopes up, and as you can see by some of the comments on this thread, many people now feel like a DP is the only way TFC can become competitive. All I'm saying is that we should be carefull what we wish for. We're talking about a league with a pathetically small cap. Personally, I'd be happy to see the club acquire a solid CB before the start of the season and another serviceable striker. Acquiring a DP in June when there are more options and the cap hit is less might not be a bad thing.

As far as JC's ultimatum goes, I think its important to note that he said them in context to how the team was constituted at that moment. I do not think that he expected to have a player like DeRo in the mix for the beginning of this season. With one acquisition, the club has already improved its offensive look dramatically. JC is a smart man, and I don't think he'll want to mortgage the depth of the team just to accomodate a DP.
    Last edited by invictusTFC; 01-08-2009 at 09:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    My suspicion is that that has more to do with media silence for competitive reasons on the club's part and a willingness to let the issue go because it's the off season on the part of the media.
    I think you're right. Every player agent in the world knows TFC is looking to deal - the more pressure on the team to get a player, the more agents will raise the price.

We know we'll have to "overpay" to get someone to come to Toronto, the question is how much are we willing to overpay?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't have to overpay anyone...MLSE does, and they have tons of practice and are well versed in the art of it....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by invictusTFC View Post
    Don't get me wrong, if we get a good DP striker I'll be thrilled. However, I'll also be cautious because I'd be interested to see what kind of moves Mo will need to make to accommodate the DP. Between DeRo and a new DP, all the allocation money Mo has stockpiled will be virtually used up which will mean that the club will have little flexibility to sign a good CB which we can all agree this club needs. Will Mo ship Marshall to Seattle? Will this team have to sacrifice a player like Ricketts for example? I know that we have some terrible deficiencies in the goal scoring department, but will we have to get even weaker in other areas just to accomodate a DP? A balanced team is a good team, we can score a 4 or 5 goals a game, but it won't help us if we are allowing the opposition to score 5 or 6. Just ask the LA Galaxy.

I think the DP has been made more of an issue due to statements made by management and JC in the past. It got the fans' hopes up, and as you can see by some of the comments on this thread, many people now feel like a DP is the only way TFC can become competitive. All I'm saying is that we should be carefull what we wish for. We're talking about a league with a pathetically small cap. Personally, I'd be happy to see the club acquire a solid CB before the start of the season and another serviceable striker. Acquiring a DP in June when there are more options and the cap hit is less might not be a bad thing.

As far as JC's ultimatum goes, I think its important to note that he said them in context to how the team was constituted at that moment. I do not think that he expected to have a player like DeRo in the mix for the beginning of this season. With one acquisition, the club has already improved its offensive look dramatically. JC is a smart man, and I don't think he'll want to mortgage the depth of the team just to accomodate a DP.
    Excellent post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBlades View Post
    We don't have to overpay anyone...MLSE does, and they have tons of practice and are well versed in the art of it....
    No matter how much MLSE pays for a DP, $400k will go against the cap which will limit how they can improve elsewhere. Mo has stockpiled 3 first round picks. If he can trade those picks for some decent allocation money that may facilitate his ability to bring in a solid CB for example. Now, if he can't then he might have to move some players i.e. Ricketts or Marshall. Furthermore, the DP cap hit will prove fruitless if the DP doesn't make the expected impact he needs to make. For every JP Angel, there is a bunch of Denilsons, Claudio Lopezes and Claudio Reinas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let Carver go if he wants too. Toronto FC could do much better.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^
    Carver Haters in the house if you see them point them out
    http://www.onesecondleft.com/ Please visit the one second left blog that I contribute to.

My MLS now includes Montreal... we needed someone to hate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Ruiz a 400k cap hit? Just replace him with a capable DP striker, no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lufc1919 View Post
    Let Carver go if he wants too. Toronto FC could do much better.
    Ok, I'll bite: who's available and likely to come to Toronto right now whom you'd rather have coaching?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Ok, I'll bite: who's available and likely to come to Toronto right now whom you'd rather have coaching?
    I agree. I'm also saddened to see we are going to have this argument again, haha.

As I said all last season - Carver is a great coach. He has passion, the players love the guy, he loves the city, and he managed to get a lot of of our squad when they were healthy, and half of them weren't missing to international duty.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So John Carver has enough respect for Toronto FC and the fans, that he is prepared to leave over a potential signing? Instead of dealing with this issue "In House" with Mo and MLSE, he brings yet more media attention to the club by issuing ultimatums?. Carver can run his mouth as much as he wants, this is a results orientated business and thus how a manager must be judged. Let the talking be done on the pitch. Is
    $1 million in allocation money and three first-round draft picks not enough of an incentive to stay and build on what he already has? I just think its a shame to read on here a few people who are taking in by gimmicks and words.