Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default York U has victories removed b/c of having Lombardo on the team

York U in violation of OUA rules, by fielding Lombardo.

However, since Lombardo was a member of the senior roster, he is subject to professional participation regulations, which prohibits him from participating in CIS competition within one year of his last professional game.
    http://www.tsn.ca/cis/story/?id=2515...headlines_main

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lombardo has the opposite of the Midas Touch, everything he touches turns to shite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRum View Post
    Lombardo has the opposite of the Midas Touch, everything he touches turns to shite.
    LOL!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    York U in violation of OUA rules, by fielding Lombardo.

http://www.tsn.ca/cis/story/?id=2515...headlines_main
    It's sad as this isn't Lombardo's fault at all. I'm assuming that Paul James would have given the approval from within York's sports hierarchy to sign up Lombardo.

Whether it was Paul or not, somebody didn't know the rules and the kids suffer for it (including Andrea).

B

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really do not get this decsion as Serge played for UBC after the 2007 MLS season. He actually guided the school to a National Championship. I have also noticed that Nana is listed on both the TFC and York rosters so I am not sure that means.

I know the CIS is light years apart from the NCAA when it comes to players and pro sports. But I really wonder how UBC was able to win a National Title with Serge in net, there appears to be something fishy here.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    I really do not get this decsion as Serge played for UBC after the 2007 MLS season. He actually guided the school to a National Championship. I have also noticed that Nana is listed on both the TFC and York rosters so I am not sure that means.

I know the CIS is light years apart from the NCAA when it comes to players and pro sports. But I really wonder how UBC was able to win a National Title with Serge in net, there appears to be something fishy here.
    Good questions!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you can play if you were on the developmental roster, but Lombardo probably was on the TFC senior roster for a little bit, which caused the violation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    I think you can play if you were on the developmental roster, but Lombardo probably was on the TFC senior roster for a little bit, which caused the violation.
    He definitely was on the senior roster. He was actually moved up part way into the first season.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

silly!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still cant believe he played for TFC. He is terrible. I am suprised he even made the YORK U team

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that kid who was kicked off the academy (Pena) cuz of his crazy parents has 5 goals in 8 games... 10th in the CIS in scoring.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate the hypocrisy in these kinds of "rules" - university is allowed to charge admission to these games but the athletes must be "amateurs"

This has risen to absurd levels in the NCAA, where the dollars are enormous. It's an indentured servitude system. It should be illegal.

Sue the bastards, Andrea
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ridiculous that a double standard is set. If Lombardo can't play, how can Serge and Nana?

Serge is still playing for UBC this year after starting a number of games for the Whitecaps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember there being a thread here about Lombardo playing for York. I believe he even scored 2 goals in one game.

Anyways, there was someone who called out this exact situation, that Lombardo shouldn't be allowed to play yet. Turns out he was right. Maybe the forum got the ball rolling on the situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if i remember correctly, Serge was never on a senior contract, just a dev contract.
    Nana is the same. So that's how they can do both. Lombardo was upgraded to senior.
    the article says dev roster players can still play.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But as far I know there are not different types of contracts in the USL so would that not be an issue for Serge.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who knows... maybe serge wasn't getting paid to keep his eligibility.

by the way, he didn't play much at all for Vancouver and then was released recently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    who knows... maybe serge wasn't getting paid to keep his eligibility.

by the way, he didn't play much at all for Vancouver and then was released recently.
    He played 7 games in a 30 game schedule for Vancouver. You would think that would be enough to make him ineligible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    It's sad as this isn't Lombardo's fault at all. I'm assuming that Paul James would have given the approval from within York's sports hierarchy to sign up Lombardo.

Whether it was Paul or not, somebody didn't know the rules and the kids suffer for it (including Andrea).

B

yes it is in a way, any pro athlete knows he canna jump back into collage/university sports, Paul James couldn't manage a grade school team without f**king it up somewhere...York has to accept the penalty
    and get on with things.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel bad for Lombardo. The guy clearly just wants to play football somewhere - but he either can't get on the starting roster, or if he does, inadvertently becomes a liability.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deschamp86 View Post
    He played 7 games in a 30 game schedule for Vancouver. You would think that would be enough to make him ineligible.
    i don't think it matters how many games were played. my comment about him playing few games really wasn't a suggestion that games played matters in this equation.

it's possible they paid him so low it was in effect a development roster contract.
    i can only assume that the CIS looks at pay level, because there's no real diff between a dev contract in MLS and a senior contract, except level of pay.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the classification according to the MLS. One is considered a pro spot by FIFA/CSA rules, the other a semi-pro. Semi-pro (the Dev roster) means that you can still play CIS level. Although, it still DQs you from amateur play, such as the Ontario Cup.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was supposed to come to Brock this weekend!!

FUCK

SHIT

MITTENS

WHAT THE GODDAMN HELL

i wanted to taunt him
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    I had my first King Dave experience[...]was blowing in my mouth all game.

I loved it, it tasted like Canada!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he will land somewhere, maybe in a lower division in Europe such as Italy, I wonder due to heritage if he could player in a lower Italian division as domestic player.

How things have changed, last year he was seen as the future, a young up and coming Canadian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think Lombardo could play in the USL. He's a good passer, has good vision, hard worker. he can't finish worth a shit in MLS, but could contribute down there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could someone explain to me the usefulness of this ineligibility rule?

Im too lazy to think about it ... cause right now, it seems somewhat inane.

I suppose its meant for all types of professional sport ... but come on ... Andrea was making 20,000 a year ... surely they should amend the rule to allow players who don't make over a certain amount playing professionally to once again participate in university sports.

It just seems silly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post

I interpret it as an OUA rule not a CIS rule. If that is the case it may explain whty Serge was able to play for UBC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My alma mater.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Blue View Post
    I interpret it as an OUA rule not a CIS rule. If that is the case it may explain whty Serge was able to play for UBC
    No, it's CIS, and it's clear: DEV players are amateurs, and I'm sure Srdj kept his NSA amateur card pinned to his 'Caps jersey at all times...

The CIS Eligibility sections relevant to this are:

40.10.6.2.3.1.4 and 40.10.6.2.3.9.