RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Today’s News, Friday , Oct.03

Honeymoon's over for Toronto FC general manager
    By GARETH WHEELER

There's nothing like a marriage proposal at a soccer stadium.
    That romantic gesture was a sideshow during Toronto FC's 1-1 tie with Houston on Saturday.
    The proposal was as beautiful as it was ironic, as it seems the honeymoon is over for Mo Johnston as TFC general manager.
    TFC has only two wins since the end of May and Johnston's resources to bring in new players seemingly start and end with one man.
    In the backdrop of the proposal were banners across the Red Patch Boys supporters section proclaiming: "Mo Must Go."

Read more

Nats drop Brennan: Carver
    Defender won't play in Canada's next two World Cup qualifiers, according to coach
    MORGAN CAMPBELL

For two seasons Jim Brennan has been a constant in Toronto FC's lineup, but that doesn't mean he's immune to lineup shuffling.
    After playing the first 70 minutes against Mexico in Canada's most recent World Cup qualifier, the 31-year-old defender won't even make the roster for the next two qualifying matches, according to TFC head coach John Carver.
    The Canadian Soccer Association will officially announce the roster early next week.

Read more

MLSE no longer interested in EPL team
    THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO -- Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment is not among the eight prospective buyers said to be in talks to buy English Premiership side Newcastle.

In fact, the Toronto sports giant has decided that owning any soccer team in Europe isn't a venture it wants to pursue, a conclusion drawn some five months after two senior executives returned from a fact-finding trip to England.

Read more

Toronto FC team news update
    James back in the squad

Toronto FC defender Julius James is back in the squad for Saturday's game at New York Red Bulls, but Carlos Ruiz is expected to miss the trip. James was ruled out of the 1-1 draw against Houston Dynamo last week with a hamstring injury.

Read more

Harmse delighted by call-up
    Reds player back in the Canada squad

Toronto FC's Kevin Harmse has been called up to the Canada squad for World Cup Qualifiers against Honduras and Mexico next week. Harmse is looking to earn his sixth cap since making his international debut in March 2007 against Bermuda. It will be his first taste of World Cup action.

Read more

Wild Card hopefuls meet in New York
    Toronto FC visit Red Bulls in key Eastern Conference clash

A huge match in the Eastern Conference is ahead on Saturday evening as the New York Red Bulls play host to Toronto FC at Giants Stadium. The Red Bulls, currently holding on to the first available wild card spot and sitting fourth in the East, could go a long way in securing that position with a victory. Despite having won just once since mid-June, Toronto FC are still within reaching distance of the playoff picture, though at six points out of the final wild card spot with four games to play, they have reached must-win territory to stay alive.

Read more

SUNSHINE
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very very very very.....surprised about Harmse. Are we just giving up on WCQ?

Not that surprised about Brennan - he's looked out-of-synce, both here and for Canada, for months
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure Harmse last effort was enough to displace Jimmy but it is the best Harmse has looked for a while. Strange timing though. Is this Captain Jimmy choosing a playoff run over a bleak ending to qualifiers? I hope not. I want the best saved for the National side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I'm not sure Harmse last effort was enough to displace Jimmy but it is the best Harmse has looked for a while. Strange timing though. Is this Captain Jimmy choosing a playoff run over a bleak ending to qualifiers? I hope not. I want the best saved for the National side.
    Even if Brennan was saving himself for a playoff run that is more probable then the CMNT getting though. I think the players in the CMNT room have given up on themselves and the team and organization.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the Mo Most Go was at the bottom of Usector?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mo must go was made my U-Sector.

Nonetheless, a little pressure on the guy is not a bad thing.

Get the job done, Mo.

Personally, I'm not a proponent of "Mo must go", though I'm sure there are RPBs who are.

I am more of a proponent of "Mo must get it done this off-season or else go"

No Mo excuses.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It shouldn't matter who made the banner really. Supporters are upset, and they showed it by prominantly displaying it on a banner. That's how you get your message across.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    It shouldn't matter who made the banner really. Supporters are upset, and they showed it by prominantly displaying it on a banner. That's how you get your message across.
    True at least it got noticed!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Mo must go was made my U-Sector.

Nonetheless, a little pressure on the guy is not a bad thing.

Get the job done, Mo.

Personally, I'm not a proponent of "Mo must go", though I'm sure there are RPBs who are.

I am more of a proponent of "Mo must get it done this off-season or else go"

No Mo excuses.

What's the proposed cut off date before the winge-fest can begin. I think the standard should be set early.

ie: If nothing is done by March 1st 09 then everyone can give it a go...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting that MLSE doesn't want an EPL club primarily due to lack of a salary cap.

Must... control... costs... at... all... costs...
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Kingpin View Post
    What's the proposed cut off date before the winge-fest can begin. I think the standard should be set early.

Today at 1PM on the Fan590

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the fuck is this!?!?!!? Barry Maclean provides our WHOLE Front office and our WHOLE entire team!!! I mean seriously, can we even spell CONFLICT OF INTEREST!!!!
    I say cut Barry "the Merry"!! Cut him loose and lets go and get some REAL fucking football players and not the shit that he represents!!

Following Brennan's signing with the club nearly two years ago, Johnston's next three Canadian signings were all agent Barry MacLean's clients -- Adam Braz, Marco Reda and Chris Pozniak. After one miserable season, all were deemed expendable. Interestingly, Johnston also is represented by MacLean.

Interesting also is the influx of other MacLean clientele into TFC's roster. Brian Edwards, Kevin Harmse, Abdus Ibrahim, Chad Barrett, and Amado Guevara are known to be represented by MacLean's First Wave Sports Marketing firm, as is Nick Dasovic, who runs the TFC Academy.
    Other players represented by MacLean who have been acquired and traded away by TFC include Ronnie O'Brien, Kevin Goldwaithe, Nate Jaqua and Adrian Serioux.
    MacLean also ran Toronto FC's open tryouts, helped bring West Ham to Toronto for the MLS all-star game, and has been integral in bringing other international club teams to BMO Field for friendlies.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Either that, or just make him the GM

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Either that, or just make him the GM
    Maybe he'll reduce his own rates...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    What the fuck is this!?!?!!? Barry Maclean provides our WHOLE Front office and our WHOLE entire team!!! I mean seriously, can we even spell CONFLICT OF INTEREST!!!!
    I say cut Barry "the Merry"!! Cut him loose and lets go and get some REAL fucking football players and not the shit that he represents!!

Following Brennan's signing with the club nearly two years ago, Johnston's next three Canadian signings were all agent Barry MacLean's clients -- Adam Braz, Marco Reda and Chris Pozniak. After one miserable season, all were deemed expendable. Interestingly, Johnston also is represented by MacLean.

Interesting also is the influx of other MacLean clientele into TFC's roster. Brian Edwards, Kevin Harmse, Abdus Ibrahim, Chad Barrett, and Amado Guevara are known to be represented by MacLean's First Wave Sports Marketing firm, as is Nick Dasovic, who runs the TFC Academy.
    Other players represented by MacLean who have been acquired and traded away by TFC include Ronnie O'Brien, Kevin Goldwaithe, Nate Jaqua and Adrian Serioux.
    MacLean also ran Toronto FC's open tryouts, helped bring West Ham to Toronto for the MLS all-star game, and has been integral in bringing other international club teams to BMO Field for friendlies.
    Ya, it sure sounds like Mo didn't actually look too far to find anyone. This situation kind of smells.

Knowing this now takes me right out of the Mo camp. The lazy bastard.

Mo must go!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Interesting that MLSE doesn't want an EPL club primarily due to lack of a salary cap.

Must... control... costs... at... all... costs...
    They probably also realize that the current credit crunch and looming world-wide recession will probably cause the value of sports franchises to drop.........which makes it a bad investment.

The current financial conditions will probably also determine the next expansion teams in MLS. I don't think MLS will be looking at "best markets" anymore. With banks not lending money at the moment, the next MLS franchises will be awarded to the potential owners who can pay $50 million immeadiately from their own bank accounts. I don't think we'll see banks giving $40 million financing deals for MLS franchises for quite some time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Ya, it sure sounds like Mo didn't actually look too far to find anyone. This situation kind of smells.

Mo must go!
    All the players that Mo has 'brought in' are actually a result of someone else's work. Mostly Barry Maclean or John Carver. Even Ricketts was brought to Mo by an agent. Mo is a lazy, useless bastard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The teacher's pension fund is in serious trouble and has had billions of losses, and has made changes to even the pension benefits. MLSE is in no position to buy an EPL team because they can not spend the money...period. The rest is usual spin. I hope this does not mean no investments in TFC...but we will wait and see. As an aside, I do not get the Harmse move at all...but good for the guy, he gets a trip to Honduras to sit on the bench but will be on the MNT...quite an honour.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Kingpin View Post

I'd back it up further than than even. And I'm serious for a change.
    Remember last year? We were freaking and completely on the edge by February without news of any developments.
    Pre-season matches start in early March; Charleston, if we go, is mid-March.
    The schedule is usually released mid-February. (?)
    If we don't see real developments by that date, I'll get on the 'Mo Must Go' wagon too.
    Support Local Football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

guys guys guys.. some perspective: First Wave Sports represents over 50 MLS players...
    so it's not surprising that TFC would have a number of Barry McLean's players.
    Think about that -- the guy represents close to 20% of the whole league's senior players.
    Last edited by rocker; 10-03-2008 at 09:48 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GREAT to see Julius in!
    I have always been a fan.

thats inSTARK contract to TFC's Number 5 - Whenever he has takenthe field I cringe.

I am ususlalyl pretty soft twoith comments about playes, but not him.

Kevin "Weak Link" Harmse has no place on our national side, or on our club.THERE I SAID IT

Mo = deadbeat. I hav ebeen saying it since Charlston, and now I think I have more people around my campfire. . the smoke is billowing, and will soon be a HUGE blaze. I support the MO OUT NOW campaign, and I mised the banner but. . . Get out you lazy bum, and take your cronie with ya. face like a smacked ass CANCER on the heart of my beloved GET OUT!

Sure Mclean's name is all over our club, but he is all over EVERY club doesnt he manage like TONNES of MLS / North American soccer talent? so no surprise there, but we need soeone with SOLID connections!! Mo = NO. booted out of scotland,. . we could be doing worse than him, but we could be doing better too!!

Give Steve Nicol a chance!! (he is a sports hero of mine, even if he coaches the NER) I here Kenny Dalglish might be free? hahaha we can dream.
    Last edited by Technorgasm; 10-03-2008 at 09:50 AM.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post

Mo must go!
    I didn't know anything about soccer before I started following TFC last year, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it's just as much an old boys club as hockey and baseball.

All GM's use their contacts - which means agents - to make deals and agents always make it complicated and self-serving, full of 'I'll let you have this guy but you have to take this one, too,' and all kinds of backroom shit.

The Edu deal will go a long way to opening up agents' eyes to the idea that MLS is a good stepping-stone for young talent and that TFC is a good place to play, not buried on some expansion team in a league no one watches.

But this is where leagues that build on the draft have an advantage - less backroom shady deals between agents and managers, less power for agents.

Shit, I wish more of this was played out in public, I'd like to hear exactly what agents say to managers - I bet a lot of players would like to know what goes on in those conversations, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wzhxvy View Post
    The teacher's pension fund is in serious trouble and has had billions of losses, and has made changes to even the pension benefits. MLSE is in no position to buy an EPL team because they can not spend the money...period.

Good.

They should get of the sports ownership business entirely. Investing in sports franchises is really against the directives of the fund itself anyways. Bring on new ownership!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post
    All the players that Mo has 'brought in' are actually a result of someone else's work. Mostly Barry Maclean or John Carver. Even Ricketts was brought to Mo by an agent. Mo is a lazy, useless bastard.
    Mo brought in Carver.
    He also didn't use Barry for his draft picks.
    That being said, he has relied an awful lot on one person (with what appears to be a poor track record of picking players for TFC).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not a fan of Gareth Wheeler, but its a pretty scathing article, also not pleased with how some of this and last seasons acquisitions turned out (some couldnt be helped and some were shit to begin with, some were also brilliant. Regardless this certainly puts a fire under Mos ass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post

MacLean has exculisive rights to any canadian footballer playing in this counrty..he is the only FIFA licensed Agent in this country

also to note...he is the agent of DAvid Edgar......hmmmmm TFC's NEW CB???

also on his list is DERO....its all making sence now!!
    Last edited by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB; 10-03-2008 at 10:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really respected MO alot but i have fallen of this bus aswell..

the article has raised some serious questions and im quite sure the TFC front office was fully aware of this situation....

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

let the mo bashing begin and its not even winter yet

gie yer heeds a shake

do not give up on mo just yet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    MacLean has exculisive rights to any canadian footballer playing in this counrty..he is the only FIFA licensed Agent in this country

also to note...he is the agent of DAvid Edgar......hmmmmm TFC's NEW CB???

also on his list is DERO....its all making sence now!!
    Isn't it a conflict of interest for MacLean to be representing management, who negotiates players salary's, and the players themselves?!?

You have Mo negotiating with his own agent over his players salary's. That's bizarre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post
    Isn't it a conflict of interest for MacLean to be representing management, who negotiates players salary's, and the players themselves?!?

You have Mo negotiating with his own agent over his players salary's. That's bizarre.
    No, it's how every sports team works.