Speed: Johann
    Footwork: Tie
    Passing: Rohan
    Shooting: Johann
    Dribbling: Johann
    Vision: Rohan
    Crossing: Tie
    Ability to improve those around him: Tough one, but Id say Johann

Personally, I think they should both start as they are probably are most 2 in form players right now ... but if you had to choose, whom would you start?

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You forgot Experience: Rohan.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LucaGol View Post
    Simple really?

Who is the better footballer?

Personally, I think they should both start as they are probably are most 2 in form players right now ... but if you had to choose, whom would you start?
    To be honest, Id go with Rohan on everything but speed. We need to remember that there's a reason Johann doesnt play very much - weve only seen him briefly in games (hes usually subbed on late), whereas Carver makes that decision based on seeing him every day in practice. Might be good eventually, but he definitely needs alot of work.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly haven't seen enough of Johann Smith to make a really educated judgment on his ability. What I have seen of him has been somewhat promising. I do think that for all of the flashy step-overs he's yet to blow my mind with anything but his pace.

I agree with them being probably our most on form players at the moment and would start them both, but being forced to choose one I would start Ricketts over Smith mainly due to experience, but I'd like to see Johann in the later minutes of the game running at tired defenders.
    Last edited by ACSertL; 09-29-2008 at 12:05 PM.
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Rohan.

Any way we can use both?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johann has potential, but I'd prefer to see him do the simple stuff- psh the ball past the defender and chase, get to the byline and whip the crosses in. Step-overs are all well and good in their place, but he should focus on the basics rather than pretend he's a poor man's cronaldo.
    Rohan is class - and works his ass off every match imho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I like Rohan.

Any way we can use both?
    I think using both precludes us from using any more than 1 striker.

Maybe something like this:

------------- Robinson
    ----- Guevara ------- Rosenlund
    Ricketts --------------------- Jo. Smith
    -------------- Barrett

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think using both precludes us from using any more than 1 striker.

Maybe something like this:

------------- Robinson
    Ricketts --------------------- Jo. Smith
    -------------- Barrett

Hmmm...it IS very offensively minded isn't it?

After all, we are talking about a team that struggles to put in goals. They have to try SOMETHING don't they?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im actually mildly surprised at the lukewarm impression that Johann Smith has left on some of you.

For me, he's always creating dangerous opportunities when the ball comes to his feet. He's pretty explosive off the dribble in terms of MLS quality.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like his speed.

But like Marvel, loses the handle on the ball a lot more than Ricketts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Hmmm...it IS very offensively minded isn't it?

After all, we are talking about a team that struggles to put in goals. They have to try SOMETHING don't they?
    Rosenlund will have to help Robbo with some of the grunt work in midfield no question ... and Brennan and Wynne will have to be more responsible and stay home rather than getting into any advanced positions. Mainly because I doubt Ricketts and Jo. Smith will track back very far.

But anyways, its something I'd try ... especially since I've been saying we have to play the in-form players. Mainly Rosenlund, Ricketts and Jo.Smith.

This probably means Dichio sits (which I kind of don't like), Harmse and Freeman both will also sit. Which Im sure many would agree is no big loss.

Marshall and Velez will have to attempt to hold the fort at the back.

Also, not really related to the topic of the thread ... but I wouldn't rule out moving Jim Brennan back to CB to partner Tyrone Marshall.

Then we could get even "ballsier" and start Gabe Gala ... who can also beat players off the dribble and has a good football brain.

Wynne -- Marshall -- Brennan -- Gala
    ------------ Robinson
    Ricketts ------------------- Jo. Smith
    -------------- Barrett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

give Joahann a few starts before you compare him to anybody.

the guy needs some minutes! like a lot of people have said, once he figures out the MLS he'll be explosive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Smith has to start next match, he just brings more into the attack every time he comes on. Not scared to take on defenders, his speed causes problems, i just think our attack looks more threatening when he's on the field, maybe place Rickets on the right side of the field.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like Rohan but havent seen nearly enough of Johann, also think Johann needs to develop a bit but shows alot of potential. Im hoping to see both on the wings at some point in time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Rohan has more experience and therefore is better, but I really want to see more of Johann in the future. I think that he should at least start some of the time, because I don't want to see all his dribbling talent and speed go to waste.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Start'em both!! I think i get more excited watching Johann Smith more!

Ricketts lately has frustrated me, He has had numerous chances to put games away and he hasn't and he has also had numerous chances to create magic and he has failed to do that also!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rohan on the right, Johann on the left. Simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ben_vw View Post
    Rohan on the right, Johann on the left. Simple.
    Exactly, its that simple for me.

I think many on here think coz Ro can use his left that he is left footed but he is right footed and Johann is only left footed so i think you just put Johann on the left and Ro on the right.

lol playing the last 10 mins and really turning it on is one thing but playing the full match and doing it is another. The exact same questions were asked about Smithy coz he had a few games when he came on for Ro and was very energetic but if you come on the last 10-15 you better be the most energetic player on the pitch or at least one of. When Smithy started getting more time and not having the same impact fans started getting upset lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple really?

Footwork: Rohan
    Dribbling: Rohan
    Crossing: Rohan
    Ability to improve those around him: Tough one, but Id say Rohan

There is no way Johann's and Rohan's lol footwork are the same right now.

Johann is gonna be dangerous and is dangerous right now but like i said before when he learns how to use his speed and improves on his footwork with the speed he will tear defenders up.

I think he should be getting more time and maybe even start a few of the remaining games.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're both not up to standard, esp R R, he's simply not performed well enough, no consistency. He's not alone in that regard, but, I expected so much more from him. If that's our best, we won't get better, looks very mediocre.

I think what's killing us is Mo's ability to assess talent as it relates to putting a team that can WIN on the park. Why the fuck we signed so many internationals is beyond me.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's really hard to compare a player who plays as a late sub to a player who consistently plays 70-90 minutes. Smith may look more impressive to some because he can basically give it his all for 15-20 mins. How many players, in all sports, do we see who are deemed "super-subs"?

I think Smith has a great deal of talent and potential, but he's going to have to harness it and show that he can use that talent to make an impact over 90 mins for him to even be mentioned in the same breath as Ricketts.

Both players may also be criticized for spending too much time on the ball, and therefore losing posession. However, I ask you this. If both players look up and have absolutely no options that they are confident with, then why would they attempt to create a chance for another player? We're going to see both players improve greatly if they are surrounded by quality.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damiiano View Post
    You forgot Experience: Rohan.
    and with it Footy IQ: Rohan

although I would say footwork: Rohan
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 125_TFC View Post
    It's really hard to compare a player who plays as a late sub to a player who consistently plays 70-90 minutes. Smith may look more impressive to some because he can basically give it his all for 15-20 mins. How many players, in all sports, do we see who are deemed "super-subs"?

I think Smith has a great deal of talent and potential, but he's going to have to harness it and show that he can use that talent to make an impact over 90 mins for him to even be mentioned in the same breath as Ricketts.

Both players may also be criticized for spending too much time on the ball, and therefore losing posession. However, I ask you this. If both players look up and have absolutely no options that they are confident with, then why would they attempt to create a chance for another player? We're going to see both players improve greatly if they are surrounded by quality.
    R.R plays the game with his head down all the time, I doubt he'd notice an intelligent run. He can't cross, he hits & hopes. He has skill, no doubt, but he has to get his head up quicker & be more accurate with his crosses.

If he hasn't got that in his game now, I don't see it happening. No football brain & quick feet make for frustrating viewing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy 'least of our worries', Batman. By this league's standards, they're both good, Ricketts can player either wing, so there's not an issue. To me, you put Freeman -- who at this stage of the season and with his impending departure should be a backup -- on the bench, start RR on the right and Smith on the left.

This would be our most dangerous wing combo since Robert's first few games, before he started running like he was carrying weights. They're both good on the dribble (although Smith is a one-dimensional angle cutter right now, while Ricketts can actually dribble both ways on the run), Smith is faster, Ricketts is better all around. Smith will eventually be very dangerousl, although I think perhaps wasted as a winger when he could play higher as an attacking wide forward.

Either way, that pairing accomodates everything except the 5-3-2, pretty much.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would have to say footwork and dribbling Rohan too... but i think we need to see more of Johann...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhoybobby View Post
    R.R plays the game with his head down all the time, I doubt he'd notice an intelligent run. He can't cross, he hits & hopes. He has skill, no doubt, but he has to get his head up quicker & be more accurate with his crosses.

If he hasn't got that in his game now, I don't see it happening. No football brain & quick feet make for frustrating viewing.
    This is just my opinion, but I think Rohan is just a step ahead of other players. Toronto's forwards just simply cannot get their heads on the ball, no matter how well the ball is put into the box. If Rohan, or any player on the flank actually had someone to aim for, it would make a big difference in my opinion.

I do agree that Rohan does put his head down too much, however, I do praise him at points for this mentality as well. He's one of the only players on the team that will actually challenge a defender one on one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple really?

Footwork: Rohan by far
    Shooting: Rohan
    Dribbling: Rohan by far
    Crossing: Rohan
    Ability to improve those around him: Rohan
    Not being born in England to satisfy they haters: Johann

I think Johann is going to be a good player for us in the future, and I think he should be counted on to be one of the building blocks for next season but right now Rohan is much better....with all due respect to Johann, it's not even a close - or fair - comparison at this point.

IF Rohan can find some consistancy - and I think that will come next season, he'll have the advantage of training camp with his teammates, being familiar with the oppostion and most importantly hopefully stability in terms of the starting XI - he'll be a star in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tbh, I think they share a lot of the same qualities.

Im not dissing Rohan by any means ... I think he's an important part of our team going forward and enjoy watching him very much ...

I was just curious to see who was preferred of the two considering their attributes are practically mirrored.

If there's maybe one thing that separates the two is that Johann seems to be more direct in his approach. Get the ball, there's the net ... that's where Im going. Whereas Rohan will assess a few different attacking options.

As I previously mentioned, I desperately want to see both of them play a full 90 minutes together to see what they could accomplish.

Im tired of the same old drab approach. It's time to inject some youth and firepower into this tired line-up. Not a shot at anyone really ... just an observation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since when does Rohan dribble? If he did maybe he wouldn't be so damn predictable.

Johann is not at Ricketts' level technically, but his approach is a million times better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple really?

What are you basing this on? How many shots on target has Johann even had for TFC? Certainly fewer than Ricketts, who has scored a few times for us.

I like Johann and think he has lots of potential. What I don’t get is why he and Ibrahim are handed the keys to the kingdom but Gala can’t even get into a game as a sub. I’m unconvinced that Johann and Ibrahim have more talent / potential than Gabe Gala. I’ll go one further, I’m unconvinced that Johann and Ibrahim are more talented Selvin Lammie.