Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What Should We Do To Get Grass at BMO?

This got discussed a little bit in yesterday's news thread, but I think it deserves a broader discussion here.

In yesterday's Star (Morgan Campbell):

TFC chief operating officer Tom Anselmi said a new playing surface isn't a priority for the club this year: "It's not something that's hot on the radar," he said. "It's something we've thought about only because we're asked the question."

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/501277

Mo wants grass.
    Miller wants grass.
    Players wants grass.
    DPs want grass.
    Fans want grass.

What can we do about this?

(Save the MLSE slagging for another thread - this is an attempt to get this turned around - we're all angry, everyone knows....)
    Last edited by ensco; 09-19-2008 at 04:35 PM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buy seeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think we should go out and BUY ONE ROLL OF SOD.....and throw it on the field on the 27th vs Houston!!...that might get a little attention!!!.....at the stadium....newspapers...On the tube!!

hmmm how do we get it in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That might get Anselmi's attention. Of course, sod is a bit heavy, and there's no guarantee that we'll be able to get any in the stadium. What about green streamers? They might be tough to see on the pitch, but they'd be easily visible on the goal frame at the beginning of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about a good old fashioned banner or sign even. easy to see, gets the point across, and easy to get in the stadium too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much does it cost for that fancy grass / turf hybrid pitch? I say we pass the hat around at the next game and donate the proceeds to poor, financially strapped MLSE and Teacher Union to get the grass done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this grass idea has been done to death, time to let it go...field turf is here for the near future TFC and the fans must get used to the idea and move on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you're allowed to smoke marijuana at BMO?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What will it take to get grass at BMO?

In a word.

Hostages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    i think we should go out and BUY ONE ROLL OF SOD.....and throw it on the field on the 27th vs Houston!!...that might get a little attention!!!.....at the stadium....newspapers...On the tube!!

SERIOUSLY! This is awwesome!!!!

And ROFL at "Buy seeds'

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_Brantford_08 View Post
    this grass idea has been done to death, time to let it go...field turf is here for the near future TFC and the fans must get used to the idea and move on.
    NO, we won't let it go. It cost us Huckerby and Ronnie O' (and likely a playoff spot, as well as a CCL spot that we would have gotten were we a little better). There is no way that we will settle for Fieldtulf now that it is costing us quality players, regardless of whether it is a better or worse surface -- the players don't want it, so neither will we.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_Brantford_08 View Post
    Never

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need freaking grass...as simple as that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And how do they fulfill the requirement that it be used year-round?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cantstoptherock View Post
    And how do they fulfill the requirement that it be used year-round?
    Build a practice facility to the south of BMO Field and put the bubble over that field instead. The only obstacle in the way is MLSE's penny pinching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about season ticket holders refuse to renew until grass gets put in, or if that's too drastic for some, call in their offices/write them about the issue and just raise as much attention.

Stage a couple of protests (signs, chants) before the game at the gates - call in a camera crew from any TV station you can find - and just raise awareness.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone roll up a small piece and put it in your crotch, they're not allowed to touch you there, lol

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This would be kinda funny!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kickit09 View Post
    how about a good old fashioned banner or sign even. easy to see, gets the point across, and easy to get in the stadium too.
    How about a banner that is made out of grass? Just take a piece of sod and spray a message into it using white spray paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stfran168 View Post
    Everyone roll up a small piece and put it in your crotch, they're not allowed to touch you there, lol
    Could actually work...Everyone brings a small piece in their pocket, doesn't have to be your crotch, i've never been searched going into the stadium before, create a designated time to throw them and their you have it, a shower of grass coming onto the field, it will get attention. Problem is...this is on a public thread and management or cops can be reading this and get prepared for it happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about a new chant:

Anselmi's an ass!
    TFC needs Grass!

Anyone who'd like to expand the chant to fill in the (rather substantial) business case for having grass, feel free to run with it. My rhyming skills aren't quite up to it.
    Last edited by druid; 09-20-2008 at 07:21 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Could actually work...Everyone brings a small piece in their pocket, doesn't have to be your crotch, i've never been searched going into the stadium before, create a designated time to throw them and their you have it, a shower of grass coming onto the field, it will get attention. Problem is...this is on a public thread and management or cops can be reading this and get prepared for it happening.
    Not can, but ARE.

All this discussion is just for fun anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Ruffrider View Post
    Build a practice facility to the south of BMO Field and put the bubble over that field instead. The only obstacle in the way is MLSE's penny pinching.
    Sorry mate, but you're high if you think that's the only obstacle.

Or even AN obstacle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Ruffrider View Post
    Haha, it's all so simple!

People here are so adept at spending money that isn't theirs.

I'm all for a banner saying we want grass, but we need to be reasonable about the time frame in which we can expect the grass to get put down.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    Sorry mate, but you're high if you think that's the only obstacle.

Or even AN obstacle.
    Agreed.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE has been a very successful as a business and they make decisions based on the bottom line, there is a high profit business, as this point there is no financial benefit for them to put in grass if they are the ones paying for it.

In reality and I know some of you are not going to like this fact, TFC is a secondary business for them at this point.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why dont we throw some grass into the TV, and GM booths as well...they are pretty accessible from 223 lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    MLSE has been a very successful as a business and they make decisions based on the bottom line, there is a high profit business, as this point there is no financial benefit for them to put in grass if they are the ones paying for it.

In reality and I know some of you are not going to like this fact, TFC is a secondary business for them at this point.
    BS....that's the same short-sighted crap you'd hear from an MLSE rep/publicist. How hard is it to understand:

wealth begets wealth...therefore if you spend the money it will put more money in your pocket in the long run. So look at the god damn big picture; grass=better players=better product=successful club=playoffs=championships=more games=increased merchandise sales=increased stadium/concession sales=greater revenues for ml$e

and if you think for one moment that tfc and its supporters will allow themselves to become like the leafs it won't...we won't stand for it the same

rant over
    Last edited by TheRenter; 09-20-2008 at 08:33 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC has been profitable for one season. While I agree that we need grass to be successful long-term, that doesn't change the fact that the team is scarcely two years old, and this is still very much a venture investment for MLSE.

We will get everything we need, in time.

With that in mind, I'm all for banners saying we want grass. Nothing wrong with the usual push-shove between fans and management.

- Scott

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What gets up my nose is having TFC account reps calling up to remind me to renew my seats and saying that TFC are going to have a big name superstar signing for next year.

Like Fcuk! What decent player is going to break faith with conventional wisdon and come to Toronto to play on plastic. Within the coming season, only us and New England will play on plastic. Everyone else will have grass.

You can promise us that you'll sign big-name players all you want, but until the most basic element is put in place - Tom Jones brand Green, Green Grass - it's a complete load of twaddle.

And people wonder why our away form sucks so badly. We have no clue how to play on grass anymore.

Interesting, too, that TFC are going through account reps like shit through a goose. I'm on my fifth different rep and this poor just-outta-skule boy hasn't got a klue about what makes the team tick. Chatted with a departed rep and it's not all sunshine and roses within TFC. Which is par for the course at MLSE in general.

A complete shambles, on and off the field. Go on, Tom Anselmi, bend over and take a big, long bow.