View Poll Results: Who's More Likely To Play For TFC?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dwayne De Rosario

68 62.39%
  • Jaime Peters

8 7.34%
  • Patriece Bernier

4 3.67%
  • Tomas Radzinski

12 11.01%
  • Adrian Serioux

16 14.68%
  • Paul Stalteri

16 14.68%
  • Ante Jazic

7 6.42%
  • Marcel De Jong

4 3.67%
  • Attiba Hutchinson

15 13.76%
  • Lars Hirschfeld

6 5.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC's Questionable Canadian Status And Ottawa Bid

TFC is quickly becoming an American or International soccer team rather a Canadian team. Its painfully obvious by the amount of Canadian players playing on the 1st team (old news), but recently the nationality on the roster has changed to a mix of 1. International talent, 2. American talent and lastly 3. Canadian talent.

Canadian Players on TFC Roster:
    1. Greg Sutton (1st team)
    2. Jim Brenan (1st team)

3. Tyler Rosenlund
    4. Joey Melo
    5. Nana Attakora-Gyan
    6. Gabe Gala
    7. Kevin Harmse
    8. Derek Gaudet

American Players on TFC Roster:
    1. Chad Barrett (1st team)
    2. Hunter Freeman
    3. Marvell Wynn (1st team)
    4. Todd Dunivant
    5. Abdus Ibrahim
    6. Brian Edwards
    7. Johann Smith
    8. Tim Regan

International Players on TFC Roster:
    1. Carl Robinson (1st team)
    2. Julius James (1st team)
    3. Rohan Ricketts (1st team)
    4. Amado Guevara (1st team)
    5. Carlos Ruiz
    6. Danny Dichio
    7. Killian Elkinson
    8. Jarrod Smith
    9. Tyrone Marshall (1st team)
    10. Marco Velez

Ok, so this is old news to most people, but the fact that we have less Canadian talent than American and International talent really bums me out, because I find it hard to believe that this team will have any Canadian talent if it wants to succeed to the playoffs and even an MLS Cup.

As far as Ottawa goes, where it will get its players who the hell knows! But doesnt a Ottawa team minimize the pool of Canadian talent that is capable of playing at the MLS level?

Mad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim Regan is not on the team, he was a one game deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    TFC is quickly becoming an American or International soccer team rather a Canadian team. Its painfully obvious by the amount of Canadian players playing on the 1st team (old news), but recently the nationality on the roster has changed to a mix of 1. International talent, 2. American talent and lastly 3. Canadian talent.

Canadian Players on TFC Roster:
    1. Greg Sutton (1st team)
    2. Jim Brenan (1st team)

3. Tyler Rosenlund
    4. Joey Melo
    5. Nana Attakora-Gyan
    6. Gabe Gala
    7. Kevin Harmse
    8. Derek Gaudet

American Players on TFC Roster:
    1. Chad Barrett (1st team)
    2. Hunter Freeman
    3. Marvell Wynn (1st team)
    4. Todd Dunivant
    5. Abdus Ibrahim
    6. Brian Edwards
    7. Johann Smith
    8. Tim Regan

International Players on TFC Roster:
    1. Carl Robinson (1st team)
    2. Julius James (1st team)
    3. Rohan Ricketts (1st team)
    4. Amado Guevara (1st team)
    5. Carlos Ruiz
    6. Danny Dichio
    7. Killian Elkinson
    8. Jarrod Smith
    9. Tyrone Marshall (1st team)
    10. Marco Velez

Ok, so this is old news to most people, but the fact that we have less Canadian talent than American and International talent really bums me out, because I find it hard to believe that this team will have any Canadian talent if it wants to succeed to the playoffs and even an MLS Cup.

As far as Ottawa goes, where it will get its players who the hell knows! But doesnt a Ottawa team minimize the pool of Canadian talent that is capable of playing at the MLS level?

Mad

There is no good Canadian talent out there to make a competitve team, simply as that. And if you visit this forum on a daily basis, the fans in most cases want a winner now. we keep enough Canadian on the roster to satisfy MLS rules on domestic players.Take a look at the national team all Canadians, and they suck shite!! So TFC needs to continue building a decent club and if that means with a bare amount of Canucks so be it,
    you can't have a winning team and a full load of canadians on it, it won;t work ( see Nats)..
    didnt vote as there is no player there iwould want to see playing for the REDS!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ottawa makes Canada a better soccer nation if they get an MLS franchise, I'm for TFC but let's not get dumb here there's a reason why soccer is the no.1 participation sport in Canada, because we have lot's of talent but few professional teams, Ottawa doesn't dilute that talent it just gives them a place to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC is a Canadian based franchise because tickets are sold in Canadian dollars while games are played on Canadian soil – I know, go figure?! You play the game and compete at the highest possible level regardless of where your players come from. You simply take the best available who also want to be here at the same time.

This is a stupid and destructive thread towards the Canadian Soccer Association. Mods delete.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hutchinson. Just wait and see.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to see many of the above players, particularly DeRo, in TFC red. However, signing any of the above players doesn't really accomplish anything with regard to improving the Canadian soccer pool. The best thing that TFC (and possibly an Ottawa franchise) could do to improve the Canadian talent base would be to develop players at the academy level. A combination of a strong academy and more stringent domestic player requirements in the long run will do wonders for Canadian soccer.

As far as Ottawa's domestic roster requirements go, there is nothing to be concerned with. One would assume that if Ottawa entered MLS, it would initially have virtually the same Canadian quota as TFC - i.e. virtually nil. There are enough semi-decent Canadian players available to fill at least a couple of senior roster positions on an MLS team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Voted DeRo, Ante Jazic and Attiba Hutchinson

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ever heard of this team called Arsenal? Pointless thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    TFC is a Canadian based franchise because tickets are sold in Canadian dollars while games are played on Canadian soil – I know, go figure?! You play the game and compete at the highest possible level regardless of where your players come from. You simply take the best available who also want to be here at the same time.

This is a stupid and destructive thread towards the Canadian Soccer Association. Mods delete.

Mods please destruct the Canadian Soccer Association. Please !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excuse me for saying so, but I think its an interesting thread topic where we can discuss several angles about the game in Canada. Why the fuck delete it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's sign ALL the Canadian National team players so we can get stranded for players at the every Int'l break!

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having professional teams in Canada with good academy systems can only help the country develop better talent and give them places to aspire to.
    For some that level will be it and for others they will continue onto the top leagues of world football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peters recently came 3rd in the Ipswich Town Supporter's Player of the Year Award.
    He has been rumoured to be joining Brighton and Hove Albion on a loan deal to help bolster their attacking option, after failing to break into the first team

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaime_Peters

Serioux started his pro career with the Toronto Lynx in the A-League. He then moved to England to join Millwall. Serioux is known to have one of the longest throws in the sport, once setting up a goal against Leicester City, from a throw-in at the half way line

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Serioux

Paul Stalteri
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Stalteri

Ante Jazic --Los Angeles Galaxy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ante_Jazic

Marcel de Jong-- Roda JC
    Marcel de Jong decided to play for the Canadian national team instead of the Dutch national team, reasoning that he would be more likely to garner a spot with Canada than with the Netherlands. His first cap for the Canadian senior men's team came on November 20, 2007 in a friendly against South Africa.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcel_De_Jong
    Last edited by nascarguy; 09-19-2008 at 08:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I know DeRo is the only player on that list who is out of contract at the end of this season.

We all know MLS does not pay transfer fees, so I figure it's DeRo

Also, None of those other players would do anything PR wise for the league. TFC making a splash, signing Dwayne and selling a shitload of shirts makes better business sense for the league.
    Last edited by arbogast; 09-19-2008 at 08:17 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love how the thread title has absolutely nothing to do with the poll.
    If the guy who started this thread had read any previous threads on the topic he'd understand why there are so few canadian players.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arbogast View Post
    As far as I knoe DeRo is the only player on that list who is out of contract at the end of this season.

We all know MLS does not pay transfer fees, so I figure it's DeRo
    Thought De Ro signed an extension of 3 years last year??

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

De Ro's on the record as wanting to come to TFC... some day.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here is the thing. Yes TFC should be giving Canadian players the opportunity to play on the team given that they are based in Canada, however, this is still a competition. TFC needs to put the best team possible out there. Unfortunatley there are not enough established talented Canadian players out there available to TFC.

as for the pole, I picked Adrian Serioux. We need a strong D man in the middle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lars Hirschfeld could be sign for more then he is being pay now. he is only playing in the Liga II for CFR Cluj they only have average attendance of 5,417 spectators per match

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    De Ro's on the record as wanting to come to TFC... some day.
    yes by he was dp money and grass

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    Let's sign ALL the Canadian National team players so we can get stranded for players at the every Int'l break!
    This is exactly my fear.

Unless they fix the schedule to avoid conflicting with fifa dates, I would rather see decent talent from strong soccer nations.
    Players that are good but not good enough to play for their countries...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't many of the best English teams have less English players than we have Canadians? I think we're doing pretty good. We'd be doing our national team a diservice by bringing a lot of Canadians back from Europe.

Give the academy time to develope, it's been less than two years.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here is the thing. Yes TFC should be giving Canadian players the opportunity to play on the team given that they are based in Canada, however, this is still a competition. TFC needs to put the best team possible out there. Unfortunatley there are not enough established talented Canadian players out there available to TFC.

as for the pole, I picked Adrian Serioux. We need a strong D man in the middle.

I_AM_CANADIAN

Your title was completely unrelated to what was in your post. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but look at how many foreigners teams in the Premiership have. I'd hazard a guess that less than 50% of the players in Premiership starting elevens are English- and England is supposedly one of the football powers of the world. Does that suddenly mean that those clubs are no longer English? They play in England and are supported by English fans. Eventually, we will see more Canadians at TFC. The fact of the matter is, the Canadians who could crack our starting eleven won't come here because the standard of play in MLS isn't high enough and in the prime of their careers they could make far more money elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Thought De Ro signed an extension of 3 years last year??

oh yeah. my bad he's signed thru 2010. unless Dynamo play ball via trade, then DeRo won't be here and he won't be a DP anyway under his current deal.
    Last edited by arbogast; 09-19-2008 at 12:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_Brantford_08 View Post
    There is no good Canadian talent out there to make a competitve team, simply as that. And if you visit this forum on a daily basis, the fans in most cases want a winner now. we keep enough Canadian on the roster to satisfy MLS rules on domestic players.Take a look at the national team all Canadians, and they suck shite!! So TFC needs to continue building a decent club and if that means with a bare amount of Canucks so be it,
    you can't have a winning team and a full load of canadians on it, it won;t work ( see Nats)..
    didnt vote as there is no player there iwould want to see playing for the REDS!!
    Seriously you are so fucking retarded it isn't funny. Mo Johnston is the problem, not a lack of Canadian talent. Jim Brennan and Greg Sutton are key players for TFC but don't even start for the NT. Canada sucks shit? Could TFC go toe to toe with Brazil all game?

Will Johnson, De Rosario, Jazic, Serioux are Canadians that play regularly in MLS and are quality players by MLS standard.

You are just like all the Euro snobs in this country, Canada sucks... wah wah wah.

Well guess what buddy? the CANADIAN U20s BEAT TFC while missing about 5 starters!!!

The Canadian NT would absolutely tear apart TFC and if you don't agree with that then you are pretty ignorant. Julian De Guzman best player for Deportivo La Coruna! Rob Friend THIRD in Bundesliga scoring!

Mo doesn't like Canadians period. No player currently on TFC would start for Canada EXCEPT MAYBE Guevara.

Stick to supporting Liverpool like the rest of glory hunters in this country.

Here is the Canadian C XI team in my opinion and this team I know would embarrass TFC.

-----------------Occean (Lillestrom)--Hoillet (St. Pauli)----------------------
    ----------------------------Hume (Barnsley)-----------------------------------
    Simpson (Kaiserslautern)-----------------------------Johnson(Real Salt Lake)
    -----------------------------Jazic (Galaxy)-----------------------------------
    De Jong(Roda JC)---Hainault(Most)---Jakovic(Red Star)---Nana (TFC)
    -------------------------------Onstad(Houston)---------------------------

Now come on. That team would easily beat TFC. Actually that team would be a MLS contender. I just put Attakora-Gyan in there for kicks, he's not Canada's 3rd best RB (yet).

Occean one of the best in Norway, great goal scorer. Hoillet 18 year old prodigy on loan from Blackburn to St. Pauli. Hume just sold to Barnsley for 1.2 million pounds. Johnson already a fan favourite in Salt Lake after just a few games. Josh Simpson one of the best players on FCK currently 1st in B2. Ante Jazic a solid MLS player for a few years now, overseas experience. Marcel De Jong one of the best young full backs in Netherlands. Hainault been tracked by Bundesliga clubs, one of the best foreign players in the Czech league only 22 played for Sparta Prague last year. Jakovic wearing #6 for famous Red Star. Onstad multiple keeper of the year awards, won the last 2 MLS Cups.

Thanks for coming out though. Not enough Canadian talent... pffff

I_AM_CANADIAN

Hume and Occean are better than 'C' level, but I agree. With that team, we'd be the Man Utd of MLS.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_Brantford_08 View Post
    didnt vote as there is no player there i would want to see playing for the REDS!!
    Are you on drugs, or have you simply not been following soccer for the past 5 years?

I'm sorry, but the Canadian national team would probably steamroll over much of the MLS. Sure, one or two of the better clubs (Crew or Revs) would give us a run for our money but we'd probably be looking pretty a mile better than we are now if we had more CMNT players wearing red for Toronto.

And I can say all of that with a bit of authority as I am not deaf, dumb, and blind.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keegan-
    We definitely have talent but
    Where are we going to fit all these guys under the cap?
    So you really think the MLS will pony up the money to for the transfer fees?

The fact is we dont have the available players to field a full canadian team or a majority canadian team otherwise we wouldnt have signed braz and reda last season and would have signed alot more canadians this season. Has nothing to do with MoJo hating canadians