Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Glass Tiger - My Town

Guys,

I went to my first TFC game at BMO on Saturday (I went to see them in Montreal back in May) and had an awesome time. The atmosphere, as everybody already knows, is absolutely unreal.

BUT

For God's sake, don't play Glass Tiger. That was the worst part of the game. Waiting in the big line, trying to get out of 109, and I have Glass Tiger forced into my brain.

Now don't get me wrong. I absolutely love this city, and have called it home for more then 20 years. But I feel ashamed when the best that we can to represent this awesome city, this awesome team, and especially all the fans is Glass Tiger. And the video that goes along with it is just as bad.

I remember a few weeks ago reading a thread about this song being the new You'll Never Walk Alone. I guarantee it will never reach that status. And I was not the only person in my section with this opinion.

Please. Glass Tiger just doesn't cut it. We can do better.

That's my rant.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You think better can be done? Then please do. Step up to the plate son.

Alan Frew stepped up and recorded his song on behalf of TFC and it's fans.

It's a Canadian successful singer/songwriter that is doing his bit to promote TFC.

You don't like the song? Others do. If you can not only come up with a song that EVERYBODY will like and in addition to that, get the original singer/songwriter to record it for TFC...get'r done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gawd...you'd think YNWA was the biggest most loved song before Liverpool fans began singing it. People just don't understand.

LMAO! Great clip Werewolf...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf88 View Post

lol QFT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I_AM_CANADIAN

But really, just to sort of justify my response... Hours upon hours of work were put into this. Alan Frew did this for us as a gift, and Parkdale's vid happens to be among the most awesome things in the history of mankind. I happen to love the song, but even if you don't, at least respect the work that all these people put into it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazz_trumpet View Post
    Guys,

I went to my first TFC game at BMO on Saturday (I went to see them in Montreal back in May) and had an awesome time. The atmosphere, as everybody already knows, is absolutely unreal.

BUT

For God's sake, don't play Glass Tiger. That was the worst part of the game. Waiting in the big line, trying to get out of 109, and I have Glass Tiger forced into my brain.

Now don't get me wrong. I absolutely love this city, and have called it home for more then 20 years. But I feel ashamed when the best that we can to represent this awesome city, this awesome team, and especially all the fans is Glass Tiger. And the video that goes along with it is just as bad.

I remember a few weeks ago reading a thread about this song being the new You'll Never Walk Alone. I guarantee it will never reach that status. And I was not the only person in my section with this opinion.

That's my rant.
    it was way better then the rap, and heavy metal crpa they were playing at the begining of the season...Frew made a decent rework of a classic song, ususally when someone does it it bombs and by most fans opinions it was a success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand the work involved. I'm a musician. So the efforts are not being bashed here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude we have to start somewhere.

Song is good I think. Has an almost "timeless" feel to it, unlike the BNL song. Sure their intent might've been there, but it felt very forced. Thanks MLS!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But that is exactly what you did.

And the video that goes along with it is just as bad.
    I get you don't like the song. Maybe you don't like Glass Tiger. I'd be surprised if anyone under 25 even remembers them. But many of us over 25 do, and we remember the song. So I put it to you, do you know of any song where:

a) written and produced by a Canadian
    b) is well-known, to the point where a large percentage of the people recognize the melody
    and c) the celebrity themselves is willing to come in and record it.

Do those things...and someone around here I am sure will be willing to do the AV work to put something together like Parky and Alan Frew did for TFC and the fans. Beyond that...how anyone can complain about this is shocking to me. It's not like U2 is breaking down our door to record one of their classics for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where the celebrity is willing to come in and record it. Sure, that's an honour. I appreciate what Alan Frew has done for us.

But yea, they were big in the 80s. Where are they now? They seem to have a lot of extra time on there hands. Why wouldn't Mr. Frew record that for Toronto FC? He only stems to gain from that choice. Check out the upcoming gigs list on their site. Mardi Gras in Etobicoke? Festival of Lights in Peterborough?

Do I know of any songs that were written and produced by a Canadian and is popular to the point where a large percentage of the people recognize the melody? You bet I do.

The C part is kind of shady. My Town, as you know, wasn't originally written with Toronto in mind. I will go so far as to say that Mr Frew didn't re-record the tune because he loved Toronto FC. He did it because his song can be heard by 20,000+ people every week. You call it loyalty, I call it shrewd business practice.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG...unless you think he is getting paid each time they play it, you have to be kidding me if you actually believe what you are writing.

People! Glass Tiger is making a comeback because their song is being played after TFC games! Album soon to be released!

I wonder if Coldplay will use that same strategy 10 years from now when they are past their prime.

I too know about the music industry and believe me there is nothing business about this. This was done because he IS a TFC fan, and a lover of soccer. If this had been Bryan Adams, with a new record coming out, maybe you can convince me. But this is a guy who in his spare time does soccer reports and who was actually seen at the games.

You're just rationalizing the excuses for your dislike of the song as somehow being something more sinister than it is.

I look forward to your submission to replace Our Town and the unanimity of acceptance for the song from all TFC fans.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, the masses have voted.

This topic has been discussed to death, and we reached a conclussion. If you don't like it, plug your ears and walk away. Simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 125_TFC View Post
    Sorry, the masses have voted.

This topic has been discussed to death, and we reached a conclussion. If you don't like it, plug your ears and walk away. Simple.
    I'm pretty indifferent about the song. I'm not gonna put it down beacause I think it was a nice thing for Frew to do. I doubt I'll be one of the people singing it after games but fill your boots if you are.

As for the "masses have voted". By masses do you mean RPB or all TFC fans? I'm a season seat holder and I didn't recieve any email about voting on whether or not I want to see/hear this at the end of each game.

Just checking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys,

BUT

That's my rant.
    I gotta say I agree with you on this one, the video is nice but the song just doesn't cut it. I also don't believe it's heavy enough to represent the kind of passion and enthusiasm we put into supporting this club..sounds like kind of a sissy tune to me, would never get me pumped up for a match...before or after. And if I heard it after a game that we lost badly or because of a shite call I think I would go into a rage

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    I'm pretty indifferent about the song. I'm not gonna put it down beacause I think it was a nice thing for Frew to do. I doubt I'll be one of the people singing it after games but fill your boots if you are.

As for the "masses have voted". By masses do you mean RPB or all TFC fans? I'm a season seat holder and I didn't recieve any email about voting on whether or not I want to see/hear this at the end of each game.

Just checking.
    RPB and I believe Usector have agreed to accept it, now I may be wrong about that. But really, anyone outside of these two groups, or NEE, isn't going to be interested anyways. So why should they have a say?

We're the reason why TFC is so successful, not the 15,000 fans sitting on their asses. Therefore, we control shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st off....if it was shrewd business for Alan Frew...Alan would have jumped on it well over a year ago when he was 1st approached...but no, he felt that it would be best.. if the idea was left for awhile to see what kind of support it would get from supporters..the idea WOULD NOT go away...So Alan was approached again and lo and behold you don't like the result...But alot of people do and alot more people will as they hear it....As for the quality of the video ..parky is a class act...+ for his effort alone...I for one am glad it is played at the end of the match..
    OH and if memory serves....YNWA was never written for scousers and tims to sing along to.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also think this is our "unofficial" song because of a lack of competition...was there really any other choices anyway? Nope

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB and I believe Usector have agreed to accept it, now I may be wrong about that. But really, anyone outside of these two groups, or NEE, isn't going to be interested anyways. So why should they have a say?

We're the reason why TFC is so successful, not the 15,000 fans sitting on their asses. Therefore, we control shit.

I seriously hope that you're joking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulinosTFC View Post
    I also think this is our "unofficial" song because of a lack of competition...was there really any other choices anyway? Nope
    But surely (if i may call you surely)...those who got the mytown TFC version done shouldn't be blamed for your points?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is why I hate going on this site. It provides great info and for the most part most people can offer unbiased opinions. But then some people seem to think their shit doesn't stink as bad as everyone elses.

The 15,000 fans that sit on their asses at the game have just as much right to support the team as the Red Patch Boys or U Sector, so get over yourself.

P.S. I think whoever helped make the Glass Tiger video did an awesome job

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ummm...

We had song ideas getting tossed about for much of last season. That should have been plenty of time for others to create a new song if they weren't fans of Our Town.

I don't understand how people can come into the discussion and criticize the results long after the first proposals.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where the celebrity is willing to come in and record it. Sure, that's an honour. I appreciate what Alan Frew has done for us.

But yea, they were big in the 80s. Where are they now? They seem to have a lot of extra time on there hands. Why wouldn't Mr. Frew record that for Toronto FC? He only stems to gain from that choice. Check out the upcoming gigs list on their site. Mardi Gras in Etobicoke? Festival of Lights in Peterborough?

Do I know of any songs that were written and produced by a Canadian and is popular to the point where a large percentage of the people recognize the melody? You bet I do.

The C part is kind of shady. My Town, as you know, wasn't originally written with Toronto in mind. I will go so far as to say that Mr Frew didn't re-record the tune because he loved Toronto FC. He did it because his song can be heard by 20,000+ people every week. You call it loyalty, I call it shrewd business practice.
    First let me say I love the way the song sounds at BMO but I would have thought there could be little dispute over this aspect of it. The original lines in the song refer to Nova Scotia and they have been changed now for the Football club in town which is the hot ticket right now. Maybe Alan Frew really loves Toronto FC but I have to think the dollars and cents came into it somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When it was first discussed I kind sighed and questioned "Glass Tiger?". I'm not a music guy, nothing from the 80's was cool. Believe me I know, high school and uni from 80 to 89. I am the definitive 80's boy... I've got the thinning hair, and pear shape to prove it!!! HA HA. I knew the song was in memory of Nova Scotia, but in the context of TFC its pretty cool.

I remember Alan somehow coming on the boards and pitching his song. I remember it was a tad thick at times. But I whole heartedly trust the RPB populus in identifying insincerity. Through forums and over-discussion we're pretty good at finding out who truly loves the game, the team. So in RPB I trust.

Cash: Jazz's first game, so I take it somewhat new to RPB. I did not find his posts condescending (sp?) he tip-toed through voicing his opposing opinion.
    Last edited by TorCanSoc; 09-17-2008 at 04:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is simply the worst post i have ever seen come off this site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listen I have never heard this song until I saw the video posted on here by Jack. When I seen it I don't think I have ever thought that a sports team could find a better song or have a better video. (great job park) Listen think what you want. But I hear nothing but good things about this video and song. Whatelse would you want a band do a song that doesn't care about this city or football club? Shit why don't we ditch this song and have like some swedish death metal band do the theme? lol.

Don't think so best song for this team. This is our home, it's our town!

I_AM_CANADIAN

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Shit why don't we ditch this song and have like some swedish death metal band do the theme
    That's what some people would like, which rather pisses me off...

jazz trumpet: I can understand you not liking the song, but the whole point is this:

So many people on here just don't seem to realize what a privilege it is to have a song done just for your club. Most clubs in the world don't have that luxury- ESPECIALLY clubs that are all of two years old. I was talking to a friend of mine who supports Cambridge United and he said they've adopted some Panathinaikos song called Horto Majiko except obviously with lyrics adapted for Cambridge... Not everyone is as lucky as we are. Imagine if the Liverpool fans on here had their way and we sang You'll Never Walk Alone? I'd feel like an idiot. This is something completely original, something no other club in the world uses. And as for Alan's intentions, I don't think they were anything but sincere. He did this completely for free. If he needed exposure for his music, he'd be better off giving it to the Leafs.

I_AM_CANADIAN

Quote Originally Posted by PaulinosTFC View Post
    I gotta say I agree with you on this one, the video is nice but the song just doesn't cut it. I also don't believe it's heavy enough to represent the kind of passion and enthusiasm we put into supporting this club..sounds like kind of a sissy tune to me, would never get me pumped up for a match...before or after. And if I heard it after a game that we lost badly or because of a shite call I think I would go into a rage
    Have you ever been to a football match before? No song that ANY club sings is 'heavy', if you want gangsta rap or modern metal played at games you should go to the ACC or SkyDome, that shit's not welcome at football matches.