Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS to Ottawa News Conference

The title says it all. Apparently newt Tuesday at 9am there will be an official bid announcement with stadium plans at the Scotiabank Place.
    http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...nt-899294.html

I can't wait to see what they've come up with for the stadium, but if they build in Kanata it'll be nothing short of a failure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigh, why Ottawa? I'll say it now, this won't work because of were Scotiabank place is located. I don't care how much money Melnyk has the MLS won't work in Ottawa. If they do get a team I don't see them being around longer then 5-10 years, 10 years if there lucky.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's the fact that BMO is right on the TTC and GO that make it a success.
    they should build a stadium as close to the downtown as possible.
    How can OTT beat MTL to the punch??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say they should focus on bringing back that CFL team that has come and gone over the years.

Now, this is only a bid correct? This does not guarantee them the MLS Expansion spot?

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, regardless of what the potential success might be...

I think it's great that so many people are lining up to get into the soccer business!

This is great! The fever is spreading!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrHawk View Post
    I say they should focus on bringing back that CFL team that has come and gone over the years.

Now, this is only a bid correct? This does not guarantee them the MLS Expansion spot?
    Ya, they are just announcing their bid

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This league is going to be gigantic in 10 years, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huginho View Post
    Sigh, why Ottawa? I'll say it now, this won't work because of were Scotiabank place is located. I don't care how much money Melnyk has the MLS won't work in Ottawa. If they do get a team I don't see them being around longer then 5-10 years, 10 years if there lucky.
    They won't build it out near Scotiabank Place. They're probably going to redevelop landsdown (the old football stadium) They've already blown up half the stands. It's on Bank Street (a main street) and just south of Downtown. It's easy to get to by bus and or train.

Eugene Melnyk is behind this bid and he isn't the one that built Scotiabank Place, he bought the Senators after they were already there. Lansdown is where the Senators originally played. There's a hockey arena under the south stands. (weird i know)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if they get a place at scotia bank place, is MLS going to come up with a cheesy name for when TFC and Ottawa play each other like the Finanical Derby or The banking classic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ccopela View Post
    They won't build it out near Scotiabank Place. They're probably going to redevelop landsdown (the old football stadium) They've already blown up half the stands. It's on Bank Street (a main street) and just south of Downtown. It's easy to get to by bus and or train.

Eugene Melnyk is behind this bid and he isn't the one that built Scotiabank Place, he bought the Senators after they were already there. Lansdown is where the Senators originally played. There's a hockey arena under the south stands. (weird i know)
    If they build it at Lansdown i have much higher hopes. If they build in Kanata they will be no better then the Crapids.

I don't know if it still exits but on Google maps satellite images it looks like there is a large amount of empty land bordering the west of downtown. If it is still available that would also be a great place to build.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone else noticed how many cities in the east are lining up for team? MTL, NY2, Ott, (east) St. Louis, etc. In the west it is only Portland and Van. It'll be very hard to balance the conferences AND get the best cities into the league (If MTL puts forward a great bid, but MLS needs another team in the west, who wins?). There is finally a business case for a single table. With no conferences you can put teams wherever is most viable.

Good luck to Ottawa, though. A Battle of Ontario is always a good thing.

I_AM_CANADIAN

I seriously doubt that an expansion to Ottawa would be a success. This is a city that has lost two CFL teams and nearly lost their hockey team twice. And I've never heard anything about Ottawa having anything close to the kind of support for football that would justify an MLS team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope they get it. It's only - what - 4 hours away? I hope Barfalo (aka Buffalo) gets on too. 2 hours away would be sweet for away trips.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    it's the fact that BMO is right on the TTC and GO that make it a success.
    they should build a stadium as close to the downtown as possible.
    How can OTT beat MTL to the punch??
    MLS and the commissioner probably turned to watch the Canada vs Honduras game... That would have made them look at OTT =P
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by I_AM_CANADIAN View Post
    I seriously doubt that an expansion to Ottawa would be a success. This is a city that has lost two CFL teams and nearly lost their hockey team twice. And I've never heard anything about Ottawa having anything close to the kind of support for football that would justify an MLS team.
    The Renegades attendance the first 3 years was over 23,000. Crap for the CFL but great for MLS. Even the last season when the Gleibermans ran it into the ground they got 18,700 and change.

The Sens problem is Kanata. It's too far for anyone to bother going out there. Thats why the 67's get over 8,000 a game. They are right in Ottawa.

If they had a 18,000 SSS at Lansdown i think they'd sell out for sure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huginho View Post
    Not only is Ottawa not that great of a sports city, but this hurts the league in terms of a big-money American television contract that is needed to grow the league. I just don't get it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garber has talked before about the NHL and how it generates a huge portion of its revenue almost exclusively in Canada. He has this idea/dillusion that MLS is going to become the next NHL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeez what is next Fredercition and Halifax??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a joke, got i hope it fails, id be really pissed to see Ottawa over Montreal or Vancouver, guaranteed itll do terribly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this rate, the MLS could almost start a second league just for Canada. They could just play U.S. teams in the champions league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as Montreal and Vancouver are given prior consideration, I would love to see another rivalry created with TFC and Ottawa, my favorite city to hate. As mentioned in this thread, a downtown location is crucial to the viability of a potential Ottawa franchise, which could concievably begin play at Frank Claire Stadium until a SSS is built. Ottawa did a great job selling out Frank Claire Stadium for all their matches during the FIFA U-20 World Cup...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This will not happen. There is no chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope this happens. Forget Montreal. Hopefully Melnyk builds the stadium with the national team in mind as a secondary facility.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Melnyk has time on his hands now, and a healthy ego...would not be surprised if he buys his way in but I agree...Montreal, then Vancouver, then Calgary before Ottawa...they are cleary looking to be a majour league city but Ottawa is far from it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf88 View Post
    I hope this happens. Forget Montreal. Hopefully Melnyk builds the stadium with the national team in mind as a secondary facility.
    well if i was a billionaire i'd build a 50,000 seat national stadium. Hold the majority of CMNT games there and package them like a club team with season tickets...but i digress.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damiiano View Post
    This league is going to be gigantic in 10 years, lol.

If you let city's which shouldn't be in the league come in, the league won't survive for another 10 years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is that it seems the league is snobbing USL teams... I mean Portland should have been in the league a long time ago in my opinion, before they placed a gamble on Toronto... I just don't see any love between USL and the MLS.

So yeah... I can see OTT before MTL
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    Garber has talked before about the NHL and how it generates a huge portion of its revenue almost exclusively in Canada. He has this idea/dillusion that MLS is going to become the next NHL.
    Why is this delussional? Hockey is a regional game that has maxed out its potential. Like everything is, globalization is happening in sports, too, so soccer will ride that wave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps Wiarton should get a team. They give me the willies. The Wiarton Groundhogs.

I won't quit my day job yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    The problem is that it seems the league is snobbing USL teams... I mean Portland should have been in the league a long time ago in my opinion, before they placed a gamble on Toronto... I just don't see any love between USL and the MLS.

So yeah... I can see OTT before MTL
    It may be like the NHL/WHA that will compete for a while until there are only a few USL teams left and they'll be absorbed into the MLS.