Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sullivan View Post
    Not any more, $3,500 max now. Every CIS school, any sport, all equal.
    Better than nothing and a good start, long overdue. I think last season was either the first or second season that the money was made available.

here's more info, for those that care...
    Scholarships referred to as Athletic Financial Awards or AFAs

OUA Board Votes in Favour of Offering Athletic Financial Awards To
    First-Year Students-Athletes
    - http://oua.ca/news/?id=4379

Summary of AFA's (2006-07)
    http://www.universitysport.ca/e/rese...AL_english.pdf

OUA FINANCIAL AWARDS POLICIES - Rule VI, Athletic Financial Awards
    more info here: http://oua.ca/student/awards/

long over due

OUA Men's sched & results: http://oua.ca/sports/msoccer/schedule/
    Standings & news releases = http://oua.ca/sports/msoccer/

btw, York Men's, currently ranked #1 in Canada

CIS Men's Soccer - As of September 9, 2008
    1. York
    2. Laval
    3. Trinity Western
    4. Carleton
    5. UBC
    6. Saint Mary’s
    7. Toronto
    8. Western Ontario
    9. Montreal
    10. Cape Breton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YEYE lions!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 125_TFC View Post
    He was brought up in Italy as a target man, not a striker; there's a major difference. He was taught how to hold up the ball well, flick the ball on and basically create for others. In Toronto, he was relied on as an all out finisher, his abilities were lost and Lombardo was gone. In the right situation, I think Lombardo could do alright.
    I wish people would remember (or indeed, learn) that. Though he would perhaps have been surplus requirements now (with Dichio/Barrett, though obviously Dichio will not be around much longer and we may never have gotten Barrett, etc. etc.) I think he would have done well given a chance to do what he was trained to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may be wrong, but I think that the pure "target man" concepete is more of an English thing, I do not remeber any Italian forwards at any level that were pure "target men", sure you have big striker who play the "punta", meaning the point of the attack, like Toni and Vieri, but they are expected to score, distributing the ball is an important but secondary for any Italian striker/forward. Does anyone know of an example of a pure target man in Italian soccer?
    Last edited by trane; 09-10-2008 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe thats why he was released after being on three teams in 3 years, including Serie D.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, York's head coach is Paul James, and their director of soccer is TFC's goalie coach (his name escapes me). They really enjoy being connected, dont they? I might go and watch some of their games (next one is this Saturday at 1pm vs McMaster and then Sunday at 1pm vs Brock) since I'm a first year at York. Booya! Cant wait to see Lombardo on campus lol.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh damn...I just remembered I will be busy on Saturday afternoon (as will most of us, laughing at the yellow football team). Sunday it is then.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colman1860 View Post
    Also, York's head coach is Paul James, and their director of soccer is TFC's goalie coach (his name escapes me). They really enjoy being connected, dont they? I might go and watch some of their games (next one is this Saturday at 1pm vs McMaster and then Sunday at 1pm vs Brock) since I'm a first year at York. Booya! Cant wait to see Lombardo on campus lol.
    Eddie Kehoe if I am not mistaken.
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scholarships?

Are you kidding me?

School should be for education, not sports.

If you want to play sports on the side fine, but you shouldn't get a free ride just because you can kick or run.

Keep it illegal to have scholarships otherwise we'll have big frat boys filling our calculus classes like the joke sport schools in the states.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think that the pure "target man" concepete is more of an English thing, I do not remeber any Italian forwards at any level that were pure "target men", sure you have big striker who play the "punta", meaning the point of the attack, like Toni and Vieri, but they are expected to score, distributing the ball is an important but secondary for any Italian striker/forward. Does anyone know of an example of a pure target man in Italian soccer?
    Agreed Trane!

Shit, haven't you and I had this conversation before…deja vu…all over again!

By the way…I have been a critic of Lombrado but I'd like to make two points…first, he was put in a situation he just couldn't fill…that was Mo's fault not his. Secondly, I give the kid kudo's for resuming his education! Good luck to him!
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Italy is land of the target man ... maybe you think that target men in Italy have more skill than the ones in England ... but there are definitely plenty of one-dimensional strikers in Italy ...

Inzaghi
    Gilardino
    Bianchi
    Bonnazzoli
    German Denis
    Calaio
    Corradi
    Cacia
    Acquafresca

All European leagues have these types of players ... I don't think its limited to just one country.

Trane, I think what you're trying to differentiate is the style of play in which the "big man" is utilized. In England it was more about route 1, let the big centre forward hold the ball up and take your chances quick and fast ... in Italy the target men tend to be played in more with passes along the deck and are better poachers with their feet rather than with their head.

That's just my take.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Agreed. But my point is that a "target man's" as defined by the posterprimary role was to hold the ball up and distribute. I do not know of any stiker in Italy who was not expected as you say to be the poacher of the ball, to be able to strike the ball into the net and not just hold it up and distribute it. I like target man, I would take that type of striker over a smaller quicker one, I love Inzaghi, I was suprised that Corradi did not do better in England. Toni is my favourite stiker. But I have read repeatebly on these board, of a type of Target Man Cetre Forward, who played in an older English style that was not expected to score, that is what I do not think you get alot of in Italy, at least that I am aware of.

There is plenty of English strikers that would play the target man role and can score, and that I would take for my squad at any time, Ashton from West Ham is but one. He is a "target man" but he can ceartainly put the ball into the net with a quicke strike as seen in the All Star game.
    Last edited by trane; 09-10-2008 at 11:56 AM.