kelzag

Default M Campbells Blog~ Refs Have Carver Seeing Red

I get a lot of reader email asking me to write about the state of refereeing in Major League Soccer. A lot of folks who have grown up with the game say it stinks, and I can't say whether it does or it doesn't because as a soccer non purist I have little basis for comparison.
    But that's no barrier to doing a story. My job isn't to know things. It's to find things out.
    The problem with writing about MLS refs is that most coaches and players are reluctant to criticize them because they know the league will crack down on them.
    Apparently, TFC's John Carver is not most coaches.
    Carver knows the league will come calling early this week, but said yesterday he'll call them first to discuss his disgust.

Read more....
    http://thestar.blogs.com/torontofc/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent article, as was the promotion and relegation before it. I thought refereeing questionable all year last year. Comparatively, I didn't think that the on field job was so bad on Saturday, although the diving could have been cut off a lot sooner than it was.

tfc88

Quote Originally Posted by CoachGT View Post
    Excellent article, as was the promotion and relegation before it. I thought refereeing questionable all year last year. Comparatively, I didn't think that the on field job was so bad on Saturday, although the diving could have been cut off a lot sooner than it was.
    agreed.. and the villa game.. don't get me started

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thought the ref did a fairly good job especially when he ignored some dives
    i too agree he should have yellow carded the diver sooner it was disgusting
    to watch not to mention time wasted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great article.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    i thought the ref did a fairly good job especially when he ignored some dives
    i too agree he should have yellow carded the diver sooner it was disgusting
    to watch not to mention time wasted
    I agree with this. The ref on the pitch did a good job. Sounds like the linesmen were twats though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC_Longsleeve View Post
    I agree with this. The ref on the pitch did a good job. Sounds like the linesmen were twats though.
    More the 4th official than anything. Imagine being berated by a man in a charcoal and hot pink top, having a finger pointed at you as you walk down the tunnel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    More the 4th official than anything. Imagine being berated by a man in a charcoal and hot pink top, having a finger pointed at you as you walk down the tunnel.
    The referees failing was not protecting his linesman. How many times does a player have to get into a linesman's face before he is carded. It happened three times and nothing until that mother of all dives in the 90th.

Yes, it was Navarro that was the real problem on Saturday.

B