Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Today’s News, Thursday , Sept.04

Canada to face tough Hondurans
    Victory essential if Canada wants to stay out of cellar in a group led by CONCACAF power Mexico

Morgan Campbell

When Canada's national team tied Jamaica last month at BMO Field, head coach Dale Mitchell and star midfielder Julian de Guzman couldn't seem to agree on how much the draw damaged Canada's World Cup hopes.
    Mitchell opted for optimism, reasoning that a tie was better than a loss, and Canada still had several chances to claim points in the group stage of World Cup qualifying.
    De Guzman chose realism. Though he wasn't deflated, he was deeply disappointed that his team couldn't claim three points. In a qualifying group that includes CONCACAF powers Mexico and Honduras, he said a home game against Jamaica was the closest this team would come to a guaranteed win.
    Yesterday, though, de Guzman said everyone involved with Canada's national team realizes stakes are sky-high this weekend, as Canada hosts Honduras in Montreal.
    A win would give Canada four points and keep it out of last place in a tough group.
    And a loss?
    He said nobody's thinking about a loss.

Read more

Stalteri focus on Canada, not club woes
    THE CANADIAN PRESS

MONTREAL -- Paul Stalteri is the captain of Canada's men's soccer team and a key player in the team's bid to qualify for the 2010 World Cup.

But his star is fading on his club side in the English Premier League, Tottenham Hotspur.

The right back from Toronto is among a group of Spurs players who've been relegated to the reserve squad. His No. 7 now appears under the name of midfielder Aaron Lennon.

Stalteri wants to move on to a new club, but so far, no deal has materialized.

"I was looking for a new club," he said Wednesday. "I'm not going to say much about what's going on behind the scenes right now. There are two or three different situations where I probably had a very good chance of moving on.

"It hasn't worked out for one thing or another. It's a bit frustrating at the moment, that's the most I'm prepared to say."

Read more

MLS must address conflicting schedules
    by Frank Giase/The Star-Ledger

THIS WEEK IN MLS
    One of the problems that Major League Soccer must deal with in the offseason is whether to suspend league play on weekends the national team plays a World Cup qualifier, like most leagues around the world do.
    This weekend is a perfect example. There's a full slate of seven games ranging from Thursday to Sunday, but 32 players - including star players and a number of big gate attractions - will be with their respective national teams instead.
    Toronto FC should be the team complaining loudest to league officials. The club is six points behind D.C. United and the Red Bulls for the final playoff berth and faces Chivas USA Saturday night at BMO Field in the second leg of a home-and-home series.
    But Toronto will be missing nine players to national team duty, eight of whom started in Saturday's 2-1 loss at Chivas. And even though Toronto is averaging the second-highest home attendance in the league at 20,150 per game, who would pay to see a bunch of reserve players on the field, especially in a must-win game?

Read more

TFC extends Barrett years

Toronto FC announced Wednesday that the club has signed 23 year old American forward Chad Barrett to a four-year contract extension. Barrett was acquired from the Chicago Fire on July 27th, 2008 as part of the deal for forward Brian McBride. In that deal, Toronto also received a 2009 1st round MLS SuperDraft pick and conditional future considerations.

Now in his fourth MLS season, Barrett has 20 career goals, two of them coming in a Toronto FC uniform. He has also recorded 11 career assists.

"We are very happy to get this deal finished and get Chad in here for another four years," said manager, director of soccer Mo Johnston. "There were a number of other clubs that were interested in Chad, but we're pleased to say that he wants to be a member of this team for many years to come and we're delighted by that."

Read more

Edwards up for the challenge
    Goalkeeper determined to take his chance

With Greg Sutton away on international duty, Brian Edwards will be in goal for Toronto FC against Chivas USA on Saturday. Edwards was acquired by Toronto in the second round of the 2008 MLS SuperDraft and will make his sixth start of the season. "I've been waiting a long time to get my chance again," said Edwards. "I had some games earlier in the season and since then I've been waiting my turn. We've got a lot of players away, but that means the opportunity presents itself for me and I am up for the challenge. I was happy with my performances earlier this season and think I was consistent. I've been working hard to improve my game and now I am excited to get back in the team."

Read more

Gaudet ready for career debut

Midfielder excited by opportunity to play

Derek Gaudet is set to make his Toronto FC debut against Chivas USA on Saturday. It will also be Gaudet's first professional career appearance. "Without doubt it will be the highlight of my career so far," said Gaudet. "Making my professional debut will be very special for me. I hope the crowd will be supportive." The 19 year old Halifax native signed a developmental contract with Toronto last month after impressing during a trial at BMO Field. He has represented Canada at Under 17 and Under 20 levels.

Read more

SUNSHINE
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Impact set for CONCACAF group stage

Impact set for CONCACAF group stage

THE CANADIAN PRESS

MONTREAL -- The Montreal Impact are excited about moving on to the group stage in the CONCACAF Champions League.

The United Soccer League club played Real Esteli FC of Nicaragua to a 0-0 draw to win their two-game series 1-0 on aggregate.

Now the lone Canadian team in the competition moves into a group with Atlante of Mexico, Olimpic of Honduras and Joe Public of Trinidad and Tobago, with matches to be played between Sept. 16 and Oct. 30.

They open Sept. 17 against Joe Public at Saputo Stadium and close Oct. 28 in Cancun, Mexico, against Atlante.

"It was probably the most important series our club has ever played and now to represent the league and the club in the next stage, we're very excited," team president Joey Saputo said Wednesday. "We're still in the hunt for a playoff spot in our league, but qualifying for this, we can mark this year as successful."

Read more
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple things:

1. gret news on barrett. Good move by mo and organisation. We need player stability. He is a good player who wont go to Europe an dwont be a International callup. So he will be a mainstay for Toronto.

2. In the Impact article, Joey Saputo says this:
    "It shows how competitive the USL clubs can be," said Saputo. "I think we're very close from a technical standpoint, but from a standpoint of (public) perception, we're miles apart."

I fully agree that North Americans and especially Toronto gets sucked in when something is called Major league an dmoney is spend on players and stadium. People associates over paying for player swith quality. Thats is not the case and the USL is very close to MLS. Also, USL limits foreigners so that local players can get playing time and improve. Just my thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
    Couple things:

1. gret news on barrett. Good move by mo and organisation. We need player stability. He is a good player who wont go to Europe an dwont be a International callup. So he will be a mainstay for Toronto.

2. In the Impact article, Joey Saputo says this:
    "It shows how competitive the USL clubs can be," said Saputo. "I think we're very close from a technical standpoint, but from a standpoint of (public) perception, we're miles apart."

I fully agree that North Americans and especially Toronto gets sucked in when something is called Major league an dmoney is spend on players and stadium. People associates over paying for player swith quality. Thats is not the case and the USL is very close to MLS. Also, USL limits foreigners so that local players can get playing time and improve. Just my thoughts.
    so does the MLS the last time i checked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SLBuu View Post
    so does the MLS the last time i checked
    No where near as much, especially with the amount of Int'l spots they have allowed us to have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think in USL. you can only have 5 non nationals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    No where near as much, especially with the amount of Int'l spots they have allowed us to have.
    Have they allowed us, or did we make some trades for those spots?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Total frustration for us.

The Impact can go deep in this competition, it looks like they're in a weak group.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be surprised if Impact make it out of their group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    I will be surprised if Impact make it out of their group

It will be tough but it is the easiest group I think.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maurice Edu's MLS season with Toronto FC was interrupted by a trip to China with the U.S. Olympic men's team. He returned home for a few days, only to learn he needed to be in Scotland to finalize a deal with a new club, Glasgow Rangers. But before he could begin his European career, he was off to Guatemala with the U.S. men's national team for a World Cup qualifier. Then, after being serenaded by Rangers supporters before a game against their fiercest rivals, he was on his way here to prepare for Saturday's historic trip to Cuba.
    "It's been busy," Edu said Tuesday, "but it's been good."
    Like his recent travels, Edu's career has been moving at a dizzying pace since he left the University of Maryland after his junior season. Until the past year, he was largely unknown in the U.S. soccer community, having never been selected for any of the youth national teams. Yet he now finds himself with one of Europe's most famous clubs and in the mix for a spot on the 2010 World Cup team.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...090303538.html
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal is in tough though... they looked really good for about 60 minutes against Esteli in the first game, but then nearly blew it. And that's with Esteli looking like total crap for much of that game (many times I had to laugh out loud at their lack of quality)
    In the second game, Montreal didn't look as good, Esteli was better than they played in the first match. I know Montreal just wanted a tie, but they made a lot of dumb mistakes in that second game.

This next stage is gonna be a really tough test for Montreal. Olimpia is a great Honduran side. Atlante is a team with a better pedigree than Montreal, competing in tourneys with MLS teams in recent years. Joe Public? Who knows, but they destroyed NE home and away, so they'll have no fear. All three teams will have games at their home park (unlike Esteli) and those fans will probably be more amped up for this.
    All of these teams are much better than Esteli, that's for sure. And this time it's 6 games --- 3 home, 3 away --- so that's gonna be a tough test. They are gonna have some serious problems scoring in this next round I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=rocker;168956]Montreal is in tough though... they looked really good for about 60 minutes against Esteli in the first game, but then nearly blew it. And that's with Esteli looking like total crap for much of that game (many times I had to laugh out loud at their lack of quality)
    In the second game, Montreal didn't look as good, Esteli was better than they played in the first match. I know Montreal just wanted a tie, but they made a lot of dumb mistakes in that second game.

This next stage is gonna be a really tough test for Montreal. Olimpia is a great Honduran side. Atlante is a team with a better pedigree than Montreal, competing in tourneys with MLS teams in recent years. Joe Public? Who knows, but they destroyed NE home and away, so they'll have no fear. All three teams will have games at their home park (unlike Esteli) and those fans will probably be more amped up for this.
    All of these teams are much better than Esteli, that's for sure. And this time it's 6 games --- 3 home, 3 away --- so that's gonna be a tough test. They are gonna have some serious problems scoring in this next round I think.[/quote]

They will. They always do. If the injured guys come back (Leduc especially) and if they stick to their winning system, they wont get blown away and they will stay in games. Once you stay in games, all you need ias to bury a couple chances...Who knows! Winning at home will be key for sure. Would have been fun to talk about TFC's chances against does team. I feel that TFC would have a better chance of going trough but also a better chances of getting blown away in some of those away games. They are more volitile and inconsistent compare to the Impact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Montreal is in tough though... they looked really good for about 60 minutes against Esteli in the first game, but then nearly blew it. And that's with Esteli looking like total crap for much of that game (many times I had to laugh out loud at their lack of quality)

All of these teams are much better than Esteli, that's for sure. And this time it's 6 games --- 3 home, 3 away --- so that's gonna be a tough test. They are gonna have some serious problems scoring in this next round I think.
    Whatever!!! They got the results when they needed to. I would rather be at the big show with little or no chance to win than be on the outside looking in and debating how things could have been different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by invictusTFC View Post
    Whatever!!! They got the results when they needed to. I would rather be at the big show with little or no chance to win than be on the outside looking in and debating how things could have been different.

Exactly!!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey denime, heres another but its about the state of european football. i know it isnt mls news but i already posted in the int'l section and maybe it could get some light here. cheers.

http://www.reportonbusiness.com/serv...umnsBlogs/home

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did i miss it? ... no mls news mention of the US Open Cup won by freaking DC....

now let see they've won, what? 7 gotw with what? 35K+ votes...

BUT THEY CAN ONLY GET 8,212 in attendance...

f'n mopes

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nobodybeatsthewiz View Post
    hey denime, heres another but its about the state of european football. i know it isnt mls news but i already posted in the int'l section and maybe it could get some light here. cheers.

http://www.reportonbusiness.com/serv...umnsBlogs/home
    Shut IT Belding.

WELCOME BARRET!! (damn it, for the love of god, and all that is holy SCORE against the fire in the last game of the year!)

Impact can STILL suck the fattest stinkiest cock. period.

EVERYONE should shift tto the CAn - Hondy game - TFC season is all but cooked. . . right? Or is it?
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we are one win away from the playoffs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deltox View Post
    we are one win away from the playoffs
    We are 2 wins out of a playoff spot.

I don't know if I am correct, but the top 3 in each division go, then the next 2 best records. We have to catch either DC or NYRB who have 32 points.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigh.
    So fucking close it hurts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    We are 2 wins out of a playoff spot.

I don't know if I am correct, but the top 3 in each division go, then the next 2 best records. We have to catch either DC or NYRB who have 32 points.
    I think it is the top 2 from each then next best. Last year it was that way not sure if it stayed the same.

Eight teams will qualify for the playoffs - the top two teams in each conference plus the remaining four teams, regardless of conference, that have the most points in the standings upon the completion of the their 30-game regular season.
    http://web.mlsnet.com/standings/inde...=mls&year=2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no....we are 1 win away.

http://www.settingthetable.info/stt/default.asp

we have 26 points.

chivas has 27 points.

its 3 from east and then 3 from west ...then the next best 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wait a min. am i wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no, I think I am wrong....I think..........I have no idea!!!

If its the top 2, then next best 4.......they we are still in the hunt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=Tintin;168963]
    Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post

All of these teams are much better than Esteli, that's for sure. And this time it's 6 games --- 3 home, 3 away --- so that's gonna be a tough test. They are gonna have some serious problems scoring in this next round I think.[/quote]

They will. They always do. If the injured guys come back (Leduc especially) and if they stick to their winning system, they wont get blown away and they will stay in games. Once you stay in games, all you need ias to bury a couple chances...Who knows! Winning at home will be key for sure. Would have been fun to talk about TFC's chances against does team. I feel that TFC would have a better chance of going trough but also a better chances of getting blown away in some of those away games. They are more volitile and inconsistent compare to the Impact.

Look, I'm not a Limp Act lover but neither am I just being insulting when I say they are, far and away, the weakest team in that group. I'll be surprised if they gey more than 2 ties out of the groups stage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=jloome;169490]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tintin View Post

Look, I'm not a Limp Act lover but neither am I just being insulting when I say they are, far and away, the weakest team in that group. I'll be surprised if they gey more than 2 ties out of the groups stage.

On paper, they are the waekest, yes. But I don't think it is far and away. The gap is not that big and the game is not played on paper!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wait a min. am i wrong?
    You are right.
    It is top 3 from East & West plus 2 with most points.
    And that's why we are 6 point behind the play-off spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wait a min. am i wrong?
    it's top three in each division first...
    then the next best two teams...

it even shows that in the MLS Setting the table standings... notice the "W2, W3 etc" stuff:

according to that chart, we are not chasing Chivas. We are chasing the ShiteBulls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no....we are 1 win away.

we have 26 points.

chivas has 27 points.

its 3 from east and then 3 from west ...then the next best 2
    The two wild cards are going to the east which means we have to finish top 5 in our conference. As it stands right now that means we have to pass either DC or NY, who are both 6 points ahead with 32.