RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Gerry Dobson - Keeper quandary

Keeper quandary

Naming his goalkeeper for the Honduras World Cup Qualifier Saturday in Montreal has become a nightmare. Don't expect his decision anytime soon. He has called in three of them. But Pat Onstad, Greg Sutton and Lars Hirschfeld each come with some serious baggage.

Let's examine the possibilities. The 40-year-old Onstad has been a mainstay with the national program for a generation. But let's be honest. He has cost Canada in each of the last three World Cup cycles including this one. By throwing a corner kick into the net to give Jamaica the devastating equalizer last month in Toronto, Onstad was directly responsible for Canada coming away with a measly point instead of the necessary three.

It pains me to say this, as you'll never find a more dedicated professional than Onstad. He always answers the call. Remember last summer's Gold Cup when he jumped through hoops to get there in time for a concussed Greg Sutton? And yet his confidence must be zero right now.

Read more
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he is trying to get the CSA to attempt to lure Craig Forrest out of retirement!
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that would be good maybe .

sould we make a sign just for fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's true, Canada has not had a clear number one keeper since Forrest retired. Onstad was never the answer, he's a steady keeper but he has a poor record in the WCQ games. Sometimes I wish they would put somebody else in net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Asmir Begovic is your man....so he's young....who cares...hes the best we have right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LucaGol View Post
    I think Asmir Begovic is your man....so he's young....who cares...hes the best we have right now.

not much of an arguement from me

Spain's #1 is just 27, and a hell of a keeper
    He has been apart of the Sr team since Euro 2000, or since he was 19
    Not only is he Spain's #1, he's Real Madrid's too - since 1999
    Being a part of the Sr set-up and experiencing world class competition was a big part of his learning and development curve. Potential ruled over youth. Welcome, Iker Casillas.

But then what does the Spanish know, eh!

Dale Mitchell has Pat Onstad to rely on.

Sooner or later the CSA has to bring in a younger keeper IF we qualify for South Africa - Onstad at 42. No way.

What's the difference between qualifying or not qualifying with an experienced keeper prone to making mistakes vs. a younger keeper gaining experience on the best team we've ever had?

I'm hoping for Lars on Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me second the idea that Begovic could work.

I love how some people on the V's board paint this as were in too deep with Onstad to turn back. What could be worse than what has already happened? Onstad has already had several large gaffs and isn't getting any younger.

Are we seriously going to look at our young keeper and paint him with the same brush.

I also find it funny how they say Lars can't play on the basis of not getting enough first team time when the Jamaicans got a better performance out of a keeper without a club.

Anyway, it seems like i'm talking to the people who already know here. I don't see why it's so hard for others to see through this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Daniel Fernandes still a possibility?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

play Onstad, he will answer the call as was earlier mentioned

and just as important, we need some goals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know Onstad and the other Canadian keepers but if you think Begovic is your #1 then you have a big problem. He has been average at best in League games and most of Yeovil fans would like to see the other canadian (Josh) get a few games in goal.

Begovic can't move his feet properly (very slow) and is poor on crosses despite his height. Obvisouly, he could become an excellent keeper but so far no one has been impress with his play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Is Daniel Fernandes still a possibility?
    I think not

He's got that Sr cap for Portugal from last yr, and he's over 21
    He's also listed on the current full Sr roster

Here's an article, Aug 19/2008, where Fernandes comments on his pursuit of the #1 shirt under Portugals new Mgr

http://www.portugoal.net/NationalTea...-Fernandes.htm